CANADA Canada - Sharin Morningstar Keenan, 9, Toronto, 23 Jan 1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something's bugging me about that logo ... like I've seen it before (to do with a children's charity or ???)

Given it appears temporary, I wonder if her parents had seen it before and knew what it represented.

Logo similar to one near the end of video Chorley posted. As you suggested, stick figure with arms stretched upward.

Logo similar to one near the end of video Chorley posted. As you suggested, stick figure with arms stretched upward.

if we are allowed to go there here...let us go there........poor Sharin.......
c

"I knew the person," Caron said. "Sharin' was not the luck of the draw.
She was stalked. I remember seeing this individual around."

Quote from father posted by Dotr this thread. What does he mean by "knew"? I think I will see if Ryerson has a transcript or if they recorded their shows (re the father's 15 page complaint against LE)

http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/writing_with_robert_j_hoshowsky

rbbm.
"The victims and their families, were motivating factors. Just like a lot of police officers working cold case files, I don’t want these people to disappear from the public eye. The families I spoke to have been through hell, and they deserve some closure. For many of them, the pain of losing a loved one never stopped, even if the crime took place 40 years ago. What many people don’t realize is the utter devastation caused by murder. When a child is killed or abducted, parents often blame one another, with many marriages ending in divorce. Others succumb to drug or alcohol abuse, or paralysing depression. Police officers are not immune to these emotions, either. One of the cops who found the body of Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan in a fridge in the Annex quit the force less than two weeks later, while another — who was also at the scene — took his own life a few years after her remains were found in a rooming house fridge.

When it comes to unsolved crimes, time is a double-edged sword. Much has been made about trails growing cold over time — which they do — but not enough is said about people coming forward years after a murder with information. They do this because, sometimes, they no longer fear repercussions decades after someone is killed. My hope with Unsolved is that anyone with information comes forward, and contacts the police. Although some of the cases are getting on in years, they can still be solved. In the case of Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan, I still believe somebody out there knows the whereabouts of the sole suspect in her murder, Dennis Melvyn Howe, who remains at large, 27 years later."

Review in National Post today of debut thriller Can. novel I think The Devil you Know reviewer references Sharin and affect Howe's pic had on her as a kid - book apparently an amalgam of several of these Can. cases.........

Review in National Post today of debut thriller Can. novel I think The Devil you Know reviewer references Sharin and affect Howe's pic had on her as a kid - book apparently an amalgam of several of these Can. cases.........

Thanks, it looks interesting..

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...il-you-know-reviewed-the-stuff-of-nightmares/

"When I was a child Dennis Melvin Howe was the bogeyman. Canadians of a certain age know the story far too well: he abducted, raped, and strangled 9-year-old Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan in January 1983, leaving Toronto for parts unknown well before police discovered her body stuff in a bag in his house fridge.
I’m not certain how old I was when I first heard the story, and when I first saw Howe’s photo accompanying the “most wanted” posters – six or seven is my best guess. But the dishevelled brown hair, the off-kilter moustache, and most of all, the eyes, looking like they’re coming for you next, entered my girlhood nightmares and didn’t leave for a very long time."

Thanks for that Dotr......

In the Ridgen video looking through Howe's files a detective asks "how can a man just disappear off the face of the earth".........and of course as many have pointed out here and elsewhere especially Howe who couldn't seem to stay out of jail for 5 minutes......

He asks it in a rather interesting tone of voice... one possible answer of course is that he can't......that there is something else wrong with the case.

It might be good to make a list (next post) . Anyone could add on to it. I have no idea what any of it means even after thinking about it quite a bit. One thing: if you knew the police had the wrong DNA that would put you in rather an enviable position to taunt the police. Now...what did they compare Howe's DNA to can anyone guess? Because OK they found "Howe's" DNA on Sharin but how do they know it is his? Anyone venture a guess? I have no answer and don't have time to research it but I know there are people who read here who have an educated opinion how they would know it is Howe's DNA. Compared to family? To other objects of his they had them?

Originally they ID'd Howe because he gave his mother's maiden name at Seaton House or a shelter like that. I wonder why he did that? The moment he left his job in PA he was already a fugitive. Why give your correct mother's name? As I take it he used one of his aliases maybe "Burns" (the Spanish paper if I remember says he also used something similar like Byrnes as well) plus his Mom's name - I believe she immigrated from Austria perhaps after the war).

I realize the guy in Nampa's story who posted about Sharin (not on this site far as I know) sounds a little farfetched. But did the police ever check up on it. In the Post article he shows the reporter belongings that he said belonged to Howe when Howe worked at his gallery in Boise. There is no indication they checked them...I mean maybe they did. It does seem possible he knows something: it is interesting that in his account he and Howe go to Myer's Hardware (Myers was one of Howe's aliases but yes there is such a hardware in Boise) also he refers elliptically to the film Bullit and the notion of switched identity but he calls the character "Tommy Ross"....but in Bullit it is Johnny Ross...Tommy Ross is a character in "Carrie" by Stephen King (King was one of Howe's aliases). Of course these are common names. But why does he bring up the theme of switched identities I mean beyond simple fake ID? Is there any chance these are u.c. errors or even conscious one?

1 Police refuse to send out police dogs saying they are tired or it was too cold....but in the Sharin video by Ridgen Sharin's Mom says "it was a warm day not like today"...... as I take it Father irate about this to this day.

2. Howe leaves real Mom's name.

3. Police go out west to search for Howe's picture with rooming house friend of Howe OH - but as far as I can tell they don't go to the Pen in PA - they would have to have Howe's pic surely.......

4. All the pictures of Howe are missing or have been discarded (Ridgen film)

5. Police try to get access to a secret database of Canadian soldiers missing in action or with amnesia. Because he walked like a soldier so they said....... which doesn't explain the secret database idea does it?

6. Sharin's body can't be autopsied because it is frozen. Really? In that fridge? Or was her body somewhere else first?

7. Det. L. quits the case almost right away. One case too many Ridgen says.

8. The second detective to find her body commits suicide. M.P. Papers claim trauma over Sharin discovery.

9. Later detective investigating case even in retirement who always carried a briefcase with stuff about Sharin and Howe is kicked in the head by his own horse and dies few years ago. Det. C.

10. Writer living close to where Howe worked sets scene in Howe's rooming house (slightly hidden) (on the surface on relation to Sharin case) and sets other scene in park.

12. Police discover Sharin without having a warrant and supposedly get in trouble with police for this. Now I am glad they are so honest but who wouldn't just go and try to get a warrant and then go back? They did ultimately do just that I think going by the days if you watch the Ridgen film.

13. Police release pic that nobody thinks looks like Howe.

14. What did Sharin look like at the time? On Ridgen fillm there was a picture of Sharin that looked like a much older girl....more muscular...more healthy...perhaps in early puberty..... plain older than the released pic.

15. How did whoever the lunatic I spoke to at the Sticky Wicket in Feb. that year know that Sharin's parents called her Sharin "because they wanted her to be shared". Which in a sense was true. But was only in papers later (I think am not certain). Why did he talk about a man upstairs and a man downstairs? OH and DMH? Or the scared immigrant below? Why the dope smoking " everyone had sex with the girl" "everyone smoked dope with the girl" theme....where did that come from . (Think in early post I left this out since it is so nasty and as I say he was a lunatic....and made an impression just like the one described in review in Post of novel couple of days ago.)

16. Howe doesn't get in trouble with police...anywhere...after a career in jails..... police relentless admittedly if true Haines says they go to Russia undercover and work in a lumber camp........ imagine the Father's point no dogs on the day/hours it happened and now the lumber camp....

17. Why did the Star commemorate Howe's birthday couple of years ago on slim on pretext he would be celebrating it in a CW club that day. See page E2 in paper that day photography contest ad with obsessive use of word "share" and "sharing" OK I realize now I am going in a direction that would seem unbelievable...but was Howe in Toronto that day for his birthday...at a certain concert on the Danforth?

18. Why does media say he was working in a factory on Spadina? Not a factory a wholesaler.

There is lots more but maybe someone can add for now...

Sharin's maternal grandfather passed away in November. No mention of Sharin, her little brother (unless he's changed his name) or her father in the obit. I understand her parents separated and her father was living on the streets of Toronto for some time.

So terribly sad.

Sharin's maternal grandfather passed away in November. No mention of Sharin, her little brother (unless he's changed his name) or her father in the obit. I understand her parents separated and her father was living on the streets of Toronto for some time.

So terribly sad.

Turns out he's changed his name.

Something's bugging me about that logo ... like I've seen it before (to do with a children's charity or ???)

Given it appears temporary, I wonder if her parents had seen it before and knew what it represented.

bumping this subtle intelligent query......

or?????

yes you are right seems 'temporry" would love to know what parents think...of course there might be a simple answer....but a good question I had same impression.....

Pretty sure it's a sticker because it's off-centre from the v of the collar. When you really enlarge it, the bottom portion no longer appears to be solid, but appears more like a pair of legs, and the upper portion possibly a pair of arms uplifted towards the sky.

bumping

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Strange+breakthrough+year+murder+case/8747585/story.html This is the Saskatoon Star Phoenix version of the National Post article see the interesting comments below the article by the fellow who was the subject of the article.....he believes Howe once worked for him at his art gallery in Boise. Says the FBI took DNA from the articles Howe had (he says) left with him.

Miller's story doesn't add up. It's pretty obvious he isn't Howe just from the shape of his callumella as compared to Howe's. Miller said he turned the drifter, Tommy Ross, in to police. Some agents came to his home and took items belonging to Tommy Ross, YET, in the article above, he produces a bag with clothing. Did he hide those items from the agents? Why?

He then accuses the FBI agents of conspiring with the Canadian police to commit murder? Those are pretty serious charges to make without proof.

He also claims to have original paintings by Van Gogh. In his YouTube video (16 seconds into the film, with the song Who By Fire by Leonard Cohen in the background) it shows him prominently displaying Van Gogh's Munich Sunflowers as the centerpiece of his collection at his home followed by closeups of the paint strokes and the back of the canvas as if to verify its authenticity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHb1UI9bSAk&feature=youtu.be

But, if you go to the website of Van Gogh's Arles Sunflower paintings (#456 to be exact) you'll see that his Still Life: Vase with Twelve Sunflowers is still part of the Bavarian State Painting Collections in Munich, Bayerische Staatsgemaldesammlungen, Neue Pinakothek.

http://www.vggallery.com/misc/sunflowers.htm

http://www.vggallery.com/painting/p_0456.htm

Miller's painting below side by side with the actual museum painting; his on the left, the museum's on the right:

I think when Miller hired the drifter, Tommy Ross, from a homeless shelter (not a very bright idea in this day and age), the drifter did something to him (maybe stole from him or something else), so he turned him in to get back at him. When the investigators came and basically told him he was suspected of being Howe, he got mad at them and accused them of kidnapping and murdering the drifter, Tommy Ross, after they left.

Whatever the scenario, his rambling version of events doesn't add up. It's pretty obvious why the investigators never came back.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

This case bolsters my theory that criminals will follow these web forums and in some cases will interact.

This case bolsters my theory that criminals will follow these web forums and in some cases will interact.

When individuals appear in the media and discuss ongoing cases, they have an enormous potential to negatively influence investigations and may even cause irreversible damage. They often speculate on the motive for the murders and the possible characteristics of the offender. Such statements can misinform the public and may heighten fears in a community. They may contribute to mistrust and a lack of confidence in law enforcement and, more importantly, may taint potential jury pools. These statements may also impact the behavior of the serial murderer, because it is unlikely that an offender discriminates between a talking head and a law enforcement official actively involved in the case. When offenders are challenged by statements or derogatory comments made in the media, they may destroy evidence, or more tragically, react violently.

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#ten

I agree with your statement, RK. The FBI says as much at their website above. I think the FBI no longer interacts with Miller because they're afraid somebody might react violently. I walk the fine line sometimes of whether or not to post certain info. I sometimes wonder if some of the things I post at WS are being read by the suspects. (I like to think they're sweating bullets knowing that any day they will be arrested or charged)

On my website, or here, for that matter, I don't post everything I know about a case because I don't know if the people you report crimes to are part of the solution or part of the problem. The case I highlight on my webpage is easily solvable with info I've found out but if they release my personal info for a limelight news story to make themselves look good at my expense or in error (like they have before) instead of keeping it confidential and make me a target, what have I gained? I'll probably become the next victim (or the witness who heard the confession will be and who gave me that info will be the target) because once that info is released to the public, the suspect, being privy to that info since they are the killer) will know exactly who it is. Unless I have assurances that won't happen, I'll choose self-preservation over a case being solved. To coin a phrase from Sharktank, "and for that reason, I'm out."

I enjoy life and I believe all human life is sacred from conception to the grave and when a killer kills just one person, they become a serial killer. Not only did they kill that one person, but they killed any potential children, grandchildren and many future generations of descendants of the one they killed. Thus, in that sense, they are a serial killer.

https://www.facebook.com/napolean.smith.315

If you happened to watch the most recent Hawaii 5-0 segment involving serial killing and cutting up body parts (gruesome), you'd have to wonder if those kind of shows set off long-dormant serial killers or breed new ones. One thing for certain, these cop TV shows are competing with each other to see who can recreate the most horrific crime scenes imaginable on the movie sets.

Hopefully, in this Idaho case, it is bringing positive attention to the Sharin Morningstar Keenan case and not sidelining it.

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#ten

I agree with your statement, RK. The FBI says as much at their website above. I think the FBI no longer interacts with Miller because they're afraid somebody might react violently. I walk the fine line sometimes of whether or not to post certain info. I sometimes wonder if some of the things I post at WS are being read by the suspects. (I like to think they're sweating bullets knowing that any day they will be arrested or charged)

On my website, or here, for that matter, I don't post everything I know about a case because I don't know if the people you report crimes to are part of the solution or part of the problem. The case I highlight on my webpage is easily solvable with info I've found out but if they release my personal info for a limelight news story to make themselves look good at my expense or in error (like they have before) instead of keeping it confidential and make me a target, what have I gained? I'll probably become the next victim (or the witness who heard the confession will be and who gave me that info will be the target) because once that info is released to the public, the suspect, being privy to that info since they are the killer) will know exactly who it is. Unless I have assurances that won't happen, I'll choose self-preservation over a case being solved. To coin a phrase from Sharktank, "and for that reason, I'm out."

I enjoy life and I believe all human life is sacred from conception to the grave and when a killer kills just one person, they become a serial killer. Not only did they kill that one person, but they killed any potential children, grandchildren and many future generations of descendants of the one they killed. Thus, they are a serial killer.

https://www.facebook.com/napolean.smith.315

If you happened to watch the most recent Hawaii 5-0 segment involving serial killing and cutting up body parts (gruesome), you'd have to wonder if those kind of shows set off long-dormant serial killers or breed new ones. One thing for certain, these cop TV shows are competing with each other to see who can recreate the most horrific crime scenes imaginable on the movie sets.

Hopefully, in this Idaho case, it is bringing positive attention to the Sharin Morningstar Keenan case and not sidelining it.

Ive spoken with several members in private , and have said several times that I FIRMLY beleive that suspects are following what is posted on this and several sites like this , and have wondered myself if we are aiding these individuals.

However that being said it also lends credence to every member here to demonstrate to whomever is viewing this webpage that the victims will NOT BE FORGOTTEN, and that even when the police are stymied, that there are good people still that will pursue these individuals until their death.

I was once interviewed by Al Jazeera America because of being a member here and formerly a Law Enforcement officer, I was asked if I thought this site helped investigations ... and I do .

Because the members here aren't privy to ANYTHING the general public isn't, the worst thing they can do is possibly give an investigator a different angle to pursue. Yes there are insiders here that can identify certain things and in some cases name names though the admins here do an outstanding job of snipping out what shouldn't be mentioned.

As a former LEO, if I felt that this site could damage an investigation the last thing I would ever do is add my 2 let alone my name to it .

In terms of cold cases this especially holds true where over time leads have proven unsuccessful , suggestions could spark a new angle.

Sure some posts are off base , most here have never been in sworn law enforcement, there are alot of what I jokingly refer to as the "Silence of the Lambs Fan club" and of course those who read a book, and now know who did it , but its up to a seasoned investigator to be able to separate conjecture and opinion from facts when reading posts here.

In terms of perpetrators keeping tabs this site lets hope they do , lets hope it keeps them awake knowing that there are those out there that will never rest till they are brought in and the only easy out for them is to turn themselves in.

AS for the TV spawning violence thing, that's still up for debate, I feel some topics have merit , like desensitizing youth to violence, but I don't believe that it in any way spawns deviant issues where the underlying impulses aren't already present .

The Nature vs Nurture thing has been done to death, and current scientific findings hold that it tends to be a product of both, in other words, a bad upbringing, or a preoccupation with death etc.. alone usually isn't the only key in the development of what we call a Serial Killer.

Recent studies have found that it takes a little of both , and hence why Serial killers despite their popularity in modern culture are actually a exceedingly rare phenomenon

By the time most serial killers start, they usually already have SOME type of criminal history, most will have a traumatic upbringing of some sort, (trauma will be determined by the individual themselves) now this doesn't mean they were ever caught for it , but that they are often already doing SOMETHING along the lines of what will become their criminal path , and often that history will reflect something similarly in their crimes.

For EX Peeping toms, often graduate, to break ins, break ins turn into breaking and entering, breaking and entering becomes, trial burglaries, those then become fetish burglaries , then now they're testing limits by breaking in while occupants are home, then masturbating while a victim sleeps .. them rape , then possibly murder etc.. and on and on .

When we investigate a break in and rape its often pertinent to look back at any peeping tom arrests in the area .

Now though lets say a kid whos turned on by possibly seeing a peeping tom on TV , may even find it sexually stimulating , .. he is a little embarrased by it, maybe masturbates to it , but keeps it from his friends, and family, that in no way means that hes going to go out and commit crimes along that path .

But take that kid, put him in a bad situation at home, he has few friends, and has alot of time to himself , where this becomes more than just a turn, on, it becomes fantasy, and give it time for his fantasy to mature ...and even worse the time to practice his craft , you may see (may is the key term) the birth of a serial criminal .

And I agree, murder ends a family tree, I sometimes wonder if we would have had the cure for AIDS, or cancer, or world peace by now, but all we can do is speculate

I think Howe is dead. Are you saying there are no pics of him anywhere?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back