CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Original RCMP Release per
Mackenzie Gray
@Gray_Mackenzie

producer CTV
EWJnh34WAAIKucM

EWJnh6qWAAA5h-1

EWJrrJ5XsAASHm7

EWJrrHaWsAAqOg4

RCMP has since issued a clarification that it stands at at least 22 victims. plus the killer

Last edited:
Maybe that was his way of perfection....to get away from "impersonating an officer." ???

He could say, "Hey, I'm not trying to make it look like a real cop car. Any idiot could see the stickers are different." (while knowing the public likely wouldn't notice the difference.)

IDK, just guessing.

jmo

Much to my surprise, current Canadian law stipulates it’s an offence to “present oneself” or to use.......but not simply to own. I’m certain this legislation plus the applicable penalty will change in the future.

Criminal Code
Personating peace officer

• 130 (1) Everyone commits an offence who
    • (a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

• (b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
  • Marginal note punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Reading these stories makes one wonder just how much the heart can take ...

and then I think of these loved ones whose hearts are breaking even more.
I was thinking today that even though I live in an urban neighborhood, the loss of this number of people in my community would be felt and it would hurt. To think of a small town losing this many is overwhelming. My heart goes out to them. Sincere condolences.

jmo

Original RCMP Release per
Mackenzie Gray
@Gray_Mackenzie

producer CTV
EWJnh34WAAIKucM

EWJnh6qWAAA5h-1

EWJrrJ5XsAASHm7

EWJrrHaWsAAqOg4

They have since issued a clarification that it stands at at least 22 victims. plus the killer

In one of those Q and As (your link) - BBM
Q. Were the victims known to the suspect?
A. Some of the victims were known to GW and were targeted while others were not known to him. We will not be providing more information on how the victims may have been known to GW.

'Mummy is in heaven': Husband of N.S. shooting victim gives emotional interview

In the weeks before she lost her life on the side of a road during the deadly rampage in Nova Scotia, Kristen Beaton was fighting for more personal protective equipment for front-line workers in the COVID-19 pandemic.

One day before the attack that left at least 18 dead, Beaton posted a selfie on Facebook wearing a surgical mask and safety glasses, calling for other health-care professionals to do the same.

Now, her husband has vowed to carry on her fight

[...]

“We woke up (Sunday) morning and we just assumed it was over.”

That morning, Kristen was on her way to the home of “one of her favourite clients,” Beaton said. “If I had known he was on the loose, I would have not let my wife leave the house that day.”

[...]

She is survived by her husband and their three-year-old son, Dax. During his interview, Nick Beaton said his wife was pregnant with another child. They had planned to tell their families about the pregnancy this week while she had some time off work.

“Our son Daxton was going to wear a shirt and let everybody know,” he said.

Instead, the boy learned that his mother won’t be coming home.
OMG that is sad. :(

Tears.

Much to my surprise, current Canadian law stipulates it’s an offence to “present oneself” or to use.......but not simply to own. I’m certain this legislation plus the applicable penalty will change in the future.

Criminal Code
Personating peace officer

• 130 (1) Everyone commits an offence who
    • (a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

• (b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
  • Marginal note punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Yes I figured him having the replica RCMP car was illegal (equipment). People in the town had seen the car but it wasn't reported? These are small towns and the RCMP in the area hadn't heard of this monster owning a near replica RCMP car? But 1 didn't know he would commit these murders but still should have been charged with something before it got to this deadly rampage. JMO

"Court records show the shooter was convicted but conditionally discharged over the Oct. 29, 2001 assault of another male.

'I [the victim] was 15 and I’m standing outside of his denture clinic on Portland Street. He came outside. ... He told me to ‘get off the property,’ and he smelled like booze, grabbed my shirt and punched me in the back of the head...

“I shook that off, tried to defend myself, and as he’s hitting me in the face, one of his friends came out of the house and hit me in the back of the head with a crowbar'...

After charges were laid, he alleges, Wortman attempted to bribe him with money to make the charges go away."

Death toll rises to 23 in Nova Scotia shooting rampage as more bodies recovered from fires

Yes I figured him having the replica RCMP car was illegal (equipment). People in the town had seen the car but it wasn't reported? These are small towns and the RCMP in the area hadn't heard of this monster owning a near replica RCMP car? But 1 didn't know he would commit these murders but still should have been charged with something before it got to this deadly rampage. JMO

I think it’s possible that the replicas that people knew he had. And even saw him driving around were likely much older ones that had long been out of service. Ones that probably wouldn’t draw much suspicion other than ppl thinking man that guy is sure nuts about old police memorabilia etc. I’m starting to think that the vehicle he used may have been purchased and then decaled and outfitted by the perp in preparation for this specific purpose. I think he knew someone that sold him an unmarked brand new intercepter and he mocked it up. If that’s the case I’ll be interested to find out where it came from as those vehicles are generally not for public purchase. But unfortunately for the right price many things can be put into the possession of those that aren’t supposed to have them.

eta or maybe it wasn’t even an LE intercepter, but instead just a Brand new custom ordered plain Jane car with LE style wheels etc.Some call them service vehicles, or fleet vehicles. No fancy wheels, limited accessories and very little trim

Last edited:
Well that didn't stop him.... :(
He was restricted from owning firearms for nine months following an assault he committed in 2001. Info is in the link I posted a few comments up about his assault against a 15yo boy.

BBM

"As a result, Wortman was required at the time “not to own, possess or carry a weapon, ammunition, or explosive substance,” for nine months following the decision and to attend “for assessment and counselling in anger management” as directed by his probation officer."

Death toll rises to 23 in Nova Scotia shooting rampage as more bodies recovered from fires

I read that particular piece of legislation differently. It’s illegal for someone to present themselves as a peace (police) officer or use the equipment “in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer”.....but otherwise there was nothing in the legislation to indicate merely owning or creating replicas is an offence if, for example, one just chooses to collect memorabilia. Until this horrible tragedy occurred I don’t recall anyone reporting GW was illegally attempting to trick people into believing he was a police officer.

What did you read that I missed?

Lots of good questions answered by the RCMP here on this link posted earlier -

Mackenzie Gray (@Gray_Mackenzie) | Twitter

Q Did GW have a criminal record?
A No.

Q Is GW the only suspect in this investigation?
A This is part of our ongoing investigation.

The question at the very bottom is - You released a photo of the car that GW was driving that resembled a police cruiser. How was it obtained?

But drat, I can’t see the answer because it’s cut off! Is anyone able to find it? That’s an interesting question because I wonder if somebody had indeed reported GW’s “authentically faked cruiser” to the police but they were unable to charge him because of his claim, a collection item, RCMP memorabilia???

I read that particular piece of legislation differently. It’s illegal for someone to present themselves as a peace (police) officer or use the equipment “in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer”.....but otherwise there was nothing in the legislation to indicate merely owning or creating replicas is an offence if, for example, one just chooses to collect memorabilia. Until this horrible tragedy occurred I don’t recall anyone reporting GW was illegally attempting to trick people into believing he was a police officer.

What did you read that I missed?

Yah I’m not completely sure on that. Idk about in Canada. But I believe it may be seen as impersonating a peace officer just by driving it around if it was made to look exactly the same as ones that were still in service. I know there were subtle differences, so I’m not entirely sure. I’m also not entirely sure that he had driven that exact vehicle all lettered up before that day jmo. Regardless it’s hard to question why nobody reported it, one they may have never even seen that particular vehicle. Even if strangers did they may have thought it was an actual LE vehicle. And people that knew him and may have known he had it may have not thought that he was doing anything illegal (and maybe he wasn’t at the time. All jmo

Last edited:
Lots of good questions answered by the RCMP here on this link posted earlier -

Mackenzie Gray (@Gray_Mackenzie) | Twitter

Q Did GW have a criminal record?
A No.

Q Is GW the only suspect in this investigation?
A This is part of our ongoing investigation.

The question at the very bottom is - You released a photo of the car that GW was driving that resembled a police cruiser. How was it obtained?

But drat, I can’t see the answer because it’s cut off! Is anyone able to find it? That’s an interesting question because I wonder if somebody had indeed reported GW’s “authentically faked cruiser” to the police but they were unable to charge him because of his claim, a collection item, RCMP memorabilia???

answer was: that is part of our ongoing investigation

Not sure why it was cutoff

RCMP did confirm the Uniform was authentic. We may never know where he got it. Stolen from a trunk? Stolen from a dry cleaner? Is somebody stealing them and selling them? There very well could be others charged surrounding the Uniform or even the weapons he had etc. etc.

I thought I read at the beginning of the case that he drove the car around?

I'll look around to see if I can find a link as I might have mis-read.

jmo
Found this quote, which seems to indicate the cop cars were driven in the past:

“'I do remember him saying he buys old police vehicles from the auction and fixes them up; he had two,' posted Jones.

'When I went to meet him at his Halifax location to pick up my new dentures, his wife was driving one.'"

Those who knew Gabriel Wortman stunned by news of shooting spree | The Chronicle Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekdoggydogg