CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out who was the ex and her new boyfriend, apparently the first ones killed? I've actually wondered from the beginning if the names of those two were being withheld? Has anyone else noticed there seem to be no survivors of the shootings or fires except the police officer? In other words, the killer was probably very close when he shot his victims or else he was a great shot.
To date, there are 22 victims (plus the killer = 23 people deceased).

All of them have been named so I don't think anyone's name is being withheld. Nobody has been identified as possibly his ex.

I'm waiting for confirmation that one of the victims was indeed an ex or if that was an early assumption made.

jmo

Last edited:
Nova Scotia gunman charged with assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2001

Source for assault. Assault can be either an indictable or summary offence under the Criminal Code. It appears he got a conditional discharge and fulfilled the obligations.

From what I can tell, all comments about the ex stem from the Warmington article. Considering he couldn't state whether she was an ex-wife or an ex-girlfriend, he likely should have tapped the brakes.

"Court records show the shooter was convicted but conditionally discharged over the Oct. 29, 2001 assault of another male.

'I [the victim] was 15 and I’m standing outside of his denture clinic on Portland Street. He came outside. ... He told me to ‘get off the property,’ and he smelled like booze, grabbed my shirt and punched me in the back of the head...

“I shook that off, tried to defend myself, and as he’s hitting me in the face, one of his friends came out of the house and hit me in the back of the head with a crowbar'...

After charges were laid, he alleges, Wortman attempted to bribe him with money to make the charges go away."

Death toll rises to 23 in Nova Scotia shooting rampage as more bodies recovered from fires
If he was conditionally discharged, why is it still on record.?

Me too. I believe poster said looking for folks with last name starting with McB . I hope as further names come out poster's Family was spared.
I have no Family on the East coast but my Dad's name was Vern and my maiden name also starts with McB. It just struck me when I saw the post on the coincidence.

We’re all abiding the SOE rules, but if I can assist Vern, or other members who have family here in Nova Scotia, let me know.

I’m 300 km (3 hours) from Portapique and about 250 km from Halifax, but we’re allowed to drive out of our communities now.

There are still some people unaccounted for.

As the identities of Nova Scotia’s mass shooting victims come to light, two brothers are still waiting for answers.

The shooting spree left at least 23 people dead and stretched across 90 kilometres in the small, rural communities of Milford, Enfield, Truro and Portapique, N.S.

One of the crime scenes is the Portapique home belonging to Justin and Riley Zahl’s parents, John Zahl and Elizabeth Joanne Thomas
‘They’re angels’: Brothers afraid parents are among victims of Nova Scotia killing | Globalnews.ca

ETA: Respectfully presumed deceased CBC News Alerts on Twitter

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the April 19 date has any relevance to the same anniversary date of the Waco tragedy and the Oklahoma Federal building bombing.

With his denture business shut down as a non-essential service during the covid 19 pandemic, I seriously wonder if this (apparently planned) rampage was motivated by perceived government abuse of authority.

Tim McVeigh chose April 19 to bomb the federal building in protest against government authority of the Waco siege which resulted in the fire at the compound on April 19. I won't be surprised if evidence of anti-government rage shows up in this case.

I believe this perp had been planning the attack for awhile verses just 'snapping during Covid-19'.

Did he set fire to his own residence? It will be interesting to see how much evidence LE will be able to find on his computers, etc.

Thoughts go out to all of the victims and their loved ones during this time. I just cannot imagine their shock and pain.

It will be interesting to see if the April 19 date has any relevance to the same anniversary date of the Waco tragedy and the Oklahoma Federal building bombing.

With his denture business shut down as a non-essential service during the covid 19 pandemic, I seriously wonder if this (apparently planned) rampage was motivated by perceived government abuse of authority.

Tim McVeigh chose April 19 to bomb the federal building in protest against government authority of the Waco siege which resulted in the fire at the compound on April 19. I won't be surprised if evidence of anti-government rage shows up in this case.

Also, it might be a total coincidence while it started late on the 18th, most of his mayhem was on the 19th, during CV19. Jmo

I believe this perp had been planning the attack for awhile verses just 'snapping during Covid-19'.

Did he set fire to his own residence? It will be interesting to see how much evidence LE will be able to find on his computers, etc.

Thoughts go out to all of the victims and their loved ones during this time. I just cannot imagine their shock and pain.

I believe some publications have stated that he set his own home on fire as well as a neighbors home.MOO

I'm not sure I have seen RCMP comment on it specifically though

Is there anyone local? I'm wondering if there is a small cemetery on Portapique Beach Road? I think that's the location my grandma/aunt/uncle are buried. They lived one road over and I spent several summers there but it's been a long time and just wondering if I am remembering the correct location of the cemetery.

Found this quote, which seems to indicate the cop cars were driven in the past:

“'I do remember him saying he buys old police vehicles from the auction and fixes them up; he had two,' posted Jones.

'When I went to meet him at his Halifax location to pick up my new dentures, his wife was driving one.'"

Those who knew Gabriel Wortman stunned by news of shooting spree | The Chronicle Herald

I’ve been searching for this photo which I looked at earlier, finally found it again. Notice the white car outside but inside the crime scene tape? It looks to me much like a white decommissioned police car. I wonder if it’s one of the two that’s been mentioned. That’s also quite a huge garage back there.

But I’m unable to find any source that refers to what “fixing up” refers to. If someone were to tell me they were “fixing up” a vehicle, I’d assume they were repairing it. One of the reasons police vehicles are decommissioned is because they require extensive repair in the impending future and the cost is expected to be greater than the value of the vehicle. JMO

upload_2020-4-21_19-58-24.jpeg

Many who knew N.S. gunman struggle to come to terms with killing rampage

I’d also noticed this photo. It has me wondering why the decals on the white car seem very faint. Did he pull them off/try wash them off thinking police wouldn’t notice a white car?

NYPost also had a write-up including details about this crash but as they’re not always reputable source, I’m not going to repeat it because it’s tragic. However it seems the killer did come very close to getting caught after his fake cruiser got rammed.

upload_2020-4-21_20-12-4.jpeg
RCMP officers go over a car collision scene involving the fake RCMP car driven by Gabriel Wortman in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada April 19, 2020. REUTERS/JOHN MORRIS
Who was Gabriel Wortman, the denturist behind the Nova Scotia mass shooting? | London Free Press

I’d also noticed this photo. It has me wondering why the decals on the white car seem very faint. Did he pull them off/try wash them off thinking police wouldn’t notice a white car?

NYPost also had a write-up including details about this crash but as they’re not always reputable source, I’m not going to repeat it because it’s tragic. However it seems the killer did come very close to getting caught after his fake cruiser got rammed.

View attachment 243965
RCMP officers go over a car collision scene involving the fake RCMP car driven by Gabriel Wortman in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada April 19, 2020. REUTERS/JOHN MORRIS
Who was Gabriel Wortman, the denturist behind the Nova Scotia mass shooting? | London Free Press

Those cars look burned. Were they on fire? Jmo

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/...nnipegger-missing-after-n-s-rampage-1.4905839

I wonder if police are mindful of those murders when they start their shifts on those anniversaries.

It sounds as if this killer did have a problem with authority and felt entitled. And much more that I cannot fathom at the moment.

If the RCMP find out his agenda or a manifesto of some sort, they may not make it public, IMO. They may not wish to encourage future killers who might identify with him and repeat what he has done.

I’m sorry to repeat their names, but the RCMP did not release the full videos killers Schmegelsky and McLeod made prior to their suicides for that reason.

Since it first learned of their existence, the public has remained curious about whether the videos recorded by the accused would be released, and what might be gleaned from them. But Hackett said the videos offered nothing new in terms of motive. What’s more, an RCMP behavioural analysis unit reviewed them and became concerned they would stir what is known as “identification,” in which viewers with the same violent tendencies or ideas identify with the people in the videos and are inspired or influenced to commit similar crimes. “In their experience,” said Hackett, “those who commit mass casualty attacks or similar acts of violence are heavily inspired by previous attackers and their behaviours.” The police also wished to spare the families further trauma, Hackett said.
What we've learned about the northern B.C. killings—and what we may never know - Macleans.ca

I hope they give us a general idea of why this may have happened. I’m happy that criminologist Michael Arntfield is shedding some light on the killer’s mindset.

I can't figure out who was the ex and her new boyfriend, apparently the first ones killed? I've actually wondered from the beginning if the names of those two were being withheld? Has anyone else noticed there seem to be no survivors of the shootings or fires except the police officer? In other words, the killer was probably very close when he shot his victims or else he was a great shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy