CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d also noticed this photo. It has me wondering why the decals on the white car seem very faint. Did he pull them off/try wash them off thinking police wouldn’t notice a white car?

NYPost also had a write-up including details about this crash but as they’re not always reputable source, I’m not going to repeat it because it’s tragic. However it seems the killer did come very close to getting caught after his fake cruiser got rammed.

View attachment 243965
RCMP officers go over a car collision scene involving the fake RCMP car driven by Gabriel Wortman in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada April 19, 2020. REUTERS/JOHN MORRIS
Who was Gabriel Wortman, the denturist behind the Nova Scotia mass shooting? | London Free Press

I'm pretty sure both the suspects replica LE vehicle and the actual LE vehicle were pretty badly burnt based on the various photos I have seen JMO

EV_UwKCXgAEj1es

EV-T-DtXkAEMpGg

EV-sIQsX0AAX0y_

image.jpg

Canada's deadliest mass shooting leaves at least 17 dead, including RCMP officer and suspected killer | The Chronicle Herald

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_800/image.jpg

Last edited:
Since there obviously wont be a Trial we will get info we ordinarily wouldn't on the Investigation. Always tight lipped here until Trials.

I also notice the names of some of the victims have been released by family members on social media, then picked up by the media. But if families wish the names of their loved ones not to publicized I’m certain the RCMP will support that as well by withholding the names when the final report is released, months down the road. As the RCMP have already stated as well, they don’t intent to reveal GW’s relationship to the victims, if any. I can understand why families would support that too. When a dangerous lunatic goes on a murderous rampage, there is no such thing as a viable or logical motive.

Those who knew Gabriel Wortman stunned by news of shooting spree | Cape Breton Post

Thank you to all the “Well-Known Members” for presenting the information regarding the horrid situation in Nova Scotia. I’ve joined just to point out a paragraph in an article posted by member Bravo on Sunday referencing the partner who seems to have still been in Thai in September 2019:
“A former client at his clinic, who asked that her name not be used, recalled that Wortman and his common-law partner who worked with him were jovial and easy-going together when she received new dentures from him in September.”

Is there anyone local? I'm wondering if there is a small cemetery on Portapique Beach Road? I think that's the location my grandma/aunt/uncle are buried. They lived one road over and I spent several summers there but it's been a long time and just wondering if I am remembering the correct location of the cemetery.

Not local, but if you want I can try to find it and go there next week when this has settled a bit.

We’re allowed to drive out of our neighbourhoods now, hopefully that cemetery is not off-limits. I’ll check.

Some cemeteries are off-limits due to the SOE if they’re part of a historic site, like Fort Anne.

I believe some publications have stated that he set his own home on fire as well as a neighbors home.MOO

I'm not sure I have seen RCMP comment on it specifically though

Portapique is a small community like mine, so I’m guessing they also have many, or only, volunteer firefighters.

When firefighters are needed here, a large siren goes off that sounds like an air raid siren. The volunteers are notified by cell or landline etc., but the siren blares through the town.

ETA: Forgot my point.
The fires would have drawn many responders, volunteers or not: everyone would try to help. I don’t know if their fire hall has a siren the way that our hall does, but it’s likely.

Drawing people/firefighters/RCMP/EMS out by setting fires may have been his reason for the fires, not just destruction in general, IMO.

Last edited:
Not local, but if you want I can try to find it and go there next week when this has settled a bit.

We’re allowed to drive out of our neighbourhoods now, hopefully that cemetery is not off-limits. I’ll check.

Some cemeteries are off-limits due to the SOE if they’re part of a historic site, like Fort Anne.

Thank you but please don't make a special trip or anything. I know it's a "little graveyard" on Portapique Beach Road, across the street from another relatives house. I might reach out to some distance cousins who are still in the area and ask them.

Those who knew Gabriel Wortman stunned by news of shooting spree | Cape Breton Post

Thank you to all the “Well-Known Members” for presenting the information regarding the horrid situation in Nova Scotia. I’ve joined just to point out a paragraph in an article posted by member Bravo on Sunday referencing the partner who seems to have still been in Thai in September 2019:
“A former client at his clinic, who asked that her name not be used, recalled that Wortman and his common-law partner who worked with him were jovial and easy-going together when she received new dentures from him in September.”

Thank you for the useful post, Marp. Very sad circumstances, but welcome to WS.

I believe some publications have stated that he set his own home on fire as well as a neighbors home.MOO

I'm not sure I have seen RCMP comment on it specifically though

Not an official comment by the RCMP but this was reported by G&M -

Neighbours told The Globe and Mail the suspect set fire to his home and several buildings on the property, and shot people as they ran out of their homes.“
Nova Scotia mass shooting: What we know so far about the victims, suspect and timeline of events

At the time the neighbours may’ve not known the identity of the shooter because if they got close enough, they probably wouldn’t be alive to talk about it. This is just such a deeply disturbing means of baiting innocent people, I don’t even have the words to express my disgust ...he’d know full well how a house fire draws people out in an effort to help out in any way they can...

Something I did notice was the vehicle on the road next to the two burning vehicles. Could that possibly be the same vehicle he was caught in at the gas station?

View attachment 243966View attachment 243967

View attachment 243968

I’m always sceptical of anonymous “sources” particularly pertaining to out-of-country media reports however this report claims GW fled in the cruiser belonging to the murdered female police officer after he torched his fake cruiser. I’ve not seen this reported elsewhere so the story can’t be substantiated.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/nova-scotia-shooting-details-emerge-in-gabriel-wortmans-rampage/

I’m always sceptical of anonymous “sources” particularly pertaining to out-of-country media reports however this report claims GW fled in the cruiser belonging to the murdered female police officer after he torched his fake cruiser. I’ve not seen this reported elsewhere so the story can’t be substantiated.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/nova-scotia-shooting-details-emerge-in-gabriel-wortmans-rampage/
I don’t believe that article is accurate jmo

I don’t believe that article is accurate jmo
The RCMP spokesman said definitively that at no time did the suspect drive a real police car.

I just read in a Saint John, NB newspaper that "Police also say they have information that others were injured, but did not provide any numbers."
One RCMP spokesman said early on they're not aware of any, but perhaps some had admitted themselves into a hospital. This was in the first press conference.
I don't remember a reporter ever asking about injured people after that. It's possible everyone is trying to protect the identity of any who may have been shot and traumatized. That's understandable.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the killer noticed anniversary dates that are significant in the USA or that this was any kind of a political statement. He left no note or manifesto. Also, it appears he was a millionaire, so I doubt closing his clinics for a couple of months would cause him a lot of stress.

At the first press conference on Sunday afternoon, Chief Superintendent Leather answered a reporter's question about whether GW had driven Constable Stevenson's car - he stated that GW had not driven a real RCMP vehicle at any point. He was also asked whether GW had taken Constable Stevenson's gun but wasn't able to answer that question.

I read that particular piece of legislation differently. It’s illegal for someone to present themselves as a peace (police) officer or use the equipment “in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer”.....but otherwise there was nothing in the legislation to indicate merely owning or creating replicas is an offence if, for example, one just chooses to collect memorabilia. Until this horrible tragedy occurred I don’t recall anyone reporting GW was illegally attempting to trick people into believing he was a police officer.

What did you read that I missed?
I know this article is about decommissioned police cars in the States but you would think Canada has something similar. Quote "There are certain rules for owning a decommissioned police car that are unarguably certain. Official police logos and insignias are strictly copyrighted and enforced, so the words and symbols you paint on any car — not necessarily just an old squad car — could get you in trouble. Collectors of old cop cars that restore the original logo have to receive special permits or cover the artwork when they travel." What Are the Rules for Owning a Decommissioned Police Car?

That’s my thinking as well, it seems like he had specific locations he was targeting and going to. Then it seems as if he was just shooting random individuals that he encountered on the roads. Jmo
Sad to think that he just wanted to kill anyone whom he came upon :9. Do you think that he may have wanted to die in a "suicide by cop" scenario? He sure was giving the police more reasons to shoot him when they came upon him, he must have known he couldn't get away with such a dastardly deed. He was a madman through and through. Glad he's dead ( Sadly that won't bring his victims back) and not going to serve time in prison with 3 square meals a day. JMO

Something I did notice was the vehicle on the road next to the two burning vehicles. Could that possibly be the same vehicle he was caught in at the gas station?

View attachment 243966View attachment 243967

View attachment 243968
Doesn't look the same to me. The car by the 2 burning cars looks like a Sedan of some sort whereas the 1 in the gas station pic is like a little hatchback. I seen a video on youtube someone made as they came upon the burning "cop" cars. If i find it again I'll post it.

When a dangerous lunatic goes on a murderous rampage, there is no such thing as a viable or logical motive.
Snipped.

So true. There is never a motive that makes sense to sane people and no motive that justifies violence.

But there is a motive. Something made him commit this heinous crime. I'm on WS because I'm interested in motives behind crimes.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member