CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
''RCMP will provide update at 5 p.m. ET/6 p.m. AT''

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rcmp-weapon-lockdown-portapique-1.5537598

''Darcy Sack, a Shubenacadie, N.S., resident, said she and her friend came across two burning police vehicles and the silver suspect vehicle while out driving on Sunday morning near Highway 102, one of the province's main arteries.

"We were right behind the police car that was on fire. There was one officer we could see on scene and then all of a sudden, he went running toward one of the burning vehicles," Sack said. "We heard gunshots."

"I had that feeling that something was wrong with the [police officer's] partner — the way he looked. My heart went out to him," she said.

Sack said they then turned on to the highway and then saw the shooter in the silver car again being chased by police. She said he was dressed like a police officer.''

atlantic-denture-clinic-in-dartmouth.JPG

A person with the name Gabriel Wortman is listed as a denturist in the Halifax area on the Denturist Society of Nova Scotia website. He is listed as the owner of this property in Dartmouth, where police were Sunday afternoon. (Eric Woolliscroft/CBC)

''RCMP will provide update at 5 p.m. ET/6 p.m. AT''

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rcmp-weapon-lockdown-portapique-1.5537598

''Darcy Sack, a Shubenacadie, N.S., resident, said she and her friend came across two burning police vehicles and the silver suspect vehicle while out driving on Sunday morning near Highway 102, one of the province's main arteries.

"We were right behind the police car that was on fire. There was one officer we could see on scene and then all of a sudden, he went running toward one of the burning vehicles," Sack said. "We heard gunshots."

"I had that feeling that something was wrong with the [police officer's] partner — the way he looked. My heart went out to him," she said.

Sack said they then turned on to the highway and then saw the shooter in the silver car again being chased by police. She said he was dressed like a police officer.''

atlantic-denture-clinic-in-dartmouth.JPG

A person with the name Gabriel Wortman is listed as a denturist in the Halifax area on the Denturist Society of Nova Scotia website. He is listed as the owner of this property in Dartmouth, where police were Sunday afternoon. (Eric Woolliscroft/CBC)
I'm wondering if his business suffered because of Covid? Perhaps people aren't ordering dentures at the moment? He is at the age when financial setbacks can be a trigger for violence.

Speculation only, without any details to go on at the moment.

I'm sure we're learn more about him soon.

jmo

I'm wondering if his business suffered because of Covid? Perhaps people aren't ordering dentures at the moment? He is at the age when financial setbacks can be a trigger for violence.

Speculation only, without any details to go on at the moment.

I'm sure we're learn more about him soon.

jmo

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this started as a domestic issue.

The shooter is either dead or not dead but early news reports are a good reminder contradictions are quite common. Perhaps the shooter was arrested but subsequently succumbed to injuries as G&M in known to generally report accurately and this report was just updated.

My thoughts are with the RCMP, who risk their lives to deal with dangerous maniacs like this in order to protect the general population, plus the family members of the other unfortunate victims, all who lost their lives through this senseless rampage.

RCMP officer, suspected shooter among dead in Nova Scotia, source says
“A female RCMP member is dead and the suspect accused of multiple shootings in Nova Scotia has also died, a senior government source told The Globe and Mail.

Another RCMP officer has been injured, the source said. Fatalities are in the double digits, but police are still investigating, the source said. A manhunt for a 51-year-old denturist accused of multiple shootings left residents of a rural Nova Scotia community hiding in their basements, before the suspect fled in an imitation police vehicle and uniform.

The suspect in the shootings was Gabriel Wortman, who owns a denture clinic in Dartmouth. Corporal Lisa Croteau, public information officer with the RCMP Nova Scotia, confirmed there are “multiple victims” but couldn’t say how many people had been killed....”

Last edited:
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this started as a domestic issue.

Indeed, domestic issues or income loss/financial difficulty might’ve existed but neither would provoke somebody to intentionally replicate an RCMP cruiser and create a fictitious RCMP uniform prior to committing arson and murder. IMO the shooter clearly had serious untreated mental issues which often results in financial difficulty and domestic issues. JMO

23 year veteran female RCMP officer, Heidi Stephenson / Stevenson killed *
another officer injured, non life threatening
many victims .. not saying how many yet
multiple victims, still not saying how many !!!
very tragic situation
responded to firearms call in Portapique
LE arrived to several casualties inside and outside the home
search led to multiple sites, including some which were on fire
search for suspect concluded this morning and confirms that suspect is deceased
multiple crime scenes and victims

presser now being repeated in French then reporters can ask questions

* Have seen surname spelled both ways, so not sure which one is accurate.

Sorry, I've been interrupted and can't finish up the presser

Last edited:
Police responded to 911 calls last night, found dead bodies both inside and outside their homes at “several locations”.
RCMP believe Workman acted alone in committing the several killings, locations involved northern NS.

Two or three of the victims who survived checked themselves into area hospitals but it sounds like the investigation is still ongoing to determine the full extent of all the locations involved.

This is horrible.

Last edited:
Isn’t able to discuss relationship with the victims other than to say there appeared to be some who didn’t have a known connection to the assailant.

Some of the crime scenes, they haven’t even begun to process.

Police: At least 10 killed in shooting rampage in Canada

ENFIELD, Nova Scotia (AP) — Canadian police said at least 10 people were killed after a 51-year-old man went on a shooting rampage across the northern part of the province of Nova Scotia.

The man was identified as Gabriel Wortman. He was arrested by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in a gas station in Enfield, Nova Scotia, northwest of downtown Halifax. Police later announced that he had died.

“In excess of 10 people have been killed,” RCMP Chief Superintendent Chris Leather said. “We believe it to be one person who is responsible for all the killings and that he alone moved across the northern part of the province and committed what appears to be several homicides.”

Brian Sauvé, President of National Police Federation union, said a police officer was among those killed in a shooting and another was injured.

rbbm.
''They said there are at least 10 people killed in total. They warned there may be more victims who have not been discovered yet and their investigation continues.''

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing more than 10 people, including RCMP officer, in ‘random’ attack
''The shootings, they said, appeared “random in nature.”

''Jenny Kierstead, the founder of Breathing Space Yoga Studio, identified her sister, Lisa McCully, as one of the victims. ''

“Our hearts are broken today as we attempt to accept the loss of my sister, Lisa McCully, who was one of the victims of the mass shooting in Portapique last night,” Kierstead wrote in a Facebook post. “Our condolences go out to the other family members who are affected by this tragedy. Thank you for your support, it’s a hard day.”

''Taggart doesn’t know Wortman personally, he said, but has spoken to him occasionally on the phone. Wortman would call him with municipal concerns such as the roads being too rough or snow plows not showing up on time.''

Last edited:
https://lt.gov.ns.ca/news-events/20...nt-governor-nova-scotia-shootings-nova-scotia
''Message from the Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia on the Shootings in Nova Scotia

Sunday, April 19, 2020
Mrs. LeBlanc and I are shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic and unprecedented events that unfolded last evening and this morning.

It is at such dreadful times as this that we are reminded of the service and sacrifice made by first responders who place themselves in dangerous circumstances in order to protect the public. Tragically, this service is sometimes at the cost of their own lives. Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constable Heidi Stephenson who was killed in the rampage and another member who was injured, are such examples of this sacrifice.

We join all Nova Scotians in offering our thoughts and prayers to the families and loved ones of the victims and those injured in these devastating and senseless attacks.

The Honourable Arthur J. LeBlanc, ONS, QC
Lieutenant Governor''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members