CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Additional info on GW property shared ownership...
Frank Magazine Atlantic on Twitter
Interesting. Was he also swindling his parents like he did others? Or did they help him with finances? I do think finances are at the root of his anger, along with other issues he had. He was full of....issues. imo

jmo

That's quite the find! Way to go! I suspected the killer had some link to the USA after I saw a picture of a motorcycle on his FB page with a lot of American flags on it. Also when the RCMP spokesman was asked if the killer had a gun license, he said he didnt think he had one in Canada. It did make me wonder if they were checking elsewhere (eg the USA). (I checked his FB page Sunday, late morning. One FB friend said, "What are you doing man?" and a couple of women were defending him and pleading for him to stop.)

Propane was mentioned early on. Does everyone have a barbecue?
The answer is likely yes, as well as possible tank for gas stove, secondary heating etc.

Also I believe one of his close neighbors maybe even some of the first victims owned a propane supply co that may have been the source of some of the early explosions jmo

MOD REMINDER:

SLEUTHING FAMILY IS A VIOLATION OF TOS. “SLEUTHING” MEANS THAT RESEARCHING/INVESTIGATING/GOOGLING ETC. FAMILY MEMBERS OF THE SUSPECT OR VICTIMS IS NOT PERMITTED UNLESS YOU ARE QUOTING AN ARTICLE FROM MSM (mainstream media) OR LE STATEMENTS THAT HAS BEEN PUBLISHED. YOU MAY NOT POST OR DISCUSS THINGS YOU HAVE UNCOVERED ON THE INTERNET OR HEARD ON THE STREET. ONLY MSM AND LE INFORMATION MAY BE POSTED AND DISCUSSED. IF YOU FIND SOMETHING AND YOU ARE NOT SURE IF IT IS MSM, PLEASE SEND AN ALERT OR PM TO A MODERATOR TO CHECK BEFORE YOU CLICK TO POST IT ON THIS FORUM.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ONGOING EFFORTS TO BE RESPECTFUL AND RESPONSIBLE MEMBERS OF WEBSLEUTHS AND DOING YOUR BEST TO UOHOLD OUR HIGH STANDARDS.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

At this time, we don't know that his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend were murdered. That is a rumour. He shot many neighbours, so I think it's fair to say that he was holding grudges against a lot of people. There's no other way to explain all the murdered people that knew him.

He's shameless in terms of pulling the rug out from under people who trusted him.

I believe he knew Sean and/or Alanna personally and went to Wentworth specifically for them.
It does seem highly likely that he went there Targeting them. I have no inside knowledge of any previous contact with the victims, just merely going off of crime scene locations

Alanna's father claimed her daughter & Sean were familiar with GW but not friends.

'There was no rhyme or reason to this': Grieving father waiting for answers after mass shooting | The Chronicle Herald

So disappointed to read this this morning. Heinous actions breed heinous actions.

Fake N.S. shooting fundraiser leads to warning from RCMP

Apr 23, 2020 5:00 AM AT

The mass murder in Nova Scotia is a tragedy ripe for exploitation, a federal fraud investigator said after the crowdfunding platform removed a bogus campaign page claiming to be a fundraiser for two orphaned boys.

A Nova Scotia woman posted to social media what she thought was a legitimate campaign by a member of the family of Greg and Jamie Blair. The couple was among at least 22 people killed in a weekend rampage through rural communities in northern Nova Scotia in what is Canada's deadliest mass shooting.

The would-be donor contacted the RCMP after she learned the campaign was not related to the Blair family. confirmed the campaign has since been removed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ooting-charity-campaigns-rcmp-warns-1.5541570

Prior to being a denturist, GW was also a licensed funeral director for a couple of years... setting up graves, picking up bodies.

Walker said he first got to know Wortman in the ’90s when he was hired to work at the family funeral home business, “He worked for me as a licensed funeral director.”
Walker said .... spent no more than a couple years with the business. His duties included meeting with families and assisting them with funeral arrangements, setting up graves, as well as picking up bodies from the hospital or homes.
After working in the funeral business, Wortman went on to get his credentials to become a denturist

Source: ‘He didn’t hide this vehicle’: Nova Scotia killer’s fixation with police was on full display

From that article;

It shows the replica RCMP cruiser pulling into a roadside parking lot and a uniformed man exiting the vehicle, then casually removing his coat and donning a yellow reflective vest over his shirt.

He then sets off again, heading south along Highway 2 toward Halifax.

Around 15 minutes later, and some 28 kilometres south, Eric Fisher heard gunshots outside his home in Shubenacadie. Through his kitchen window, which overlooks a highway on-ramp, he saw what appeared to be two police cars that had collided head-on.

Fisher says that he saw a man, dressed in black uniform pants and a khaki shirt, but not a safety vest, walk over to the other cruiser with a gun in his hand, firing several times.

This would imply the killer took off his safety vest before coming into contact with Constable Heidi Stevenson. Did he stop somewhere in between?

I wonder where he was, and I'm thinking that if police were called at 10:30 and shots/explosions went on for some time after that, then it's almost as though he remained in the area (at home) until morning. Then he resumed murders and burning houses in Wentworth.

Did he think that if he got to work, he could disguise himself and get away? He plan was to leave no witnesses, but one couple recognized him and hid in their home. I wonder why he didn't set their house on fire.

View attachment 244095

View attachment 244094

Who was shooting at what exactly on Saturday night?

I assume the killer was heard shooting at victims, but the police report hearing gunshots. How is it they were in an area with active gunshots and no suspect was produced dead or alive that night? Or that they at least didn't have a trail on him.

We have a timeline! First 911 call at 10:26, police arrived 12 minutes later at 10:38. One brother went to see if he could help, another brother followed a few minutes later. He found his brother lying dead on the road, and hid for the next 4 hours amidst more gunfire and burning buildings.

"Ellison called the fire department and after a few minutes set out to join his 42-year-old sibling."​

How did he get past RCMP, or did they not realize that his car was a mock-up? The couple that is alive - hid when he arrived with guns in a mock-up vehicle. They must be in Wentworth if police didn't know what he was posing as an RCMP officer until the following morning.

"The initial 911 call, reporting the sound of gunshots in the tiny beach community of Portapique, N.S., was logged at 10:26 p.m. AT on Saturday. But when officers arrived 12 minutes later, they quickly understood that the situation was much more dire."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/nova-scotia-shooting-manhunt-details-1.5542025
I’m amazed that they didn’t think the guy hiding in the wood , was the shooter!!Imagine someone coming out of the woods in that area, at that time.He’s very lucky he wasn’t shot!!

The more I read, the more I'm a bit dumbfounded. They don't know whether they caught the shooter at 11:21PM April 18? Are RCMP not talking to each other as they swarm the area?

"Do we know if they've caught the assailant?" a first responder asked dispatch at 11:21 p.m.

"No, not for sure," was the response. "They don't know if they've caught him."

In fact, it wasn't until early Sunday — sometime between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. according to Leather — that investigators finally came to understand that their suspect, Gabriel Wortman, was likely wearing an RCMP uniform and driving a replica police cruiser.

That information wasn't shared with the public until 10:17 a.m., in a tweet."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/nova-scotia-shooting-manhunt-details-1.5542025

It makes more sense if we differentiate between "Caught" vs "Apprehended". The RCMP had (two) perimeters established after the first shooting was confirmed. SOP - one smaller and another larger. A "human" net - trying to confine him, without him knowing that there is no way out. At that point, he would be "Caught" but not yet "Apprehended".
A situation such as this is a most dangerous time, as he is still armed. Unfortunately, he slipped their perimeters somehow, likely left before the perimeters were complete.

RCMP defend not sending emergency alert before Nova Scotia gunman was killed

This article says that GW was targeting people from a list; I would assume there are also some victims who were not on the list.

Sean McLeod is described as a former hunting partner of GW.

Also from the article:

At times during the chaotic hours after the shootings began, it wasn’t always clear who police were chasing. At one point during the manhunt, two Mounties shot bullets into a fire hall in Lower Onslow, N.S. The hall was being used as a Red Cross registration centre for evacuees from the Portapique area.

While no one was injured, that incident is now under investigation by the civilian oversight agency for police in Nova Scotia.

“We don’t know what they were shooting at,” said Pat Curran, interim director of the Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT), an independent body that investigates police actions. “We just know that the suspect was not in the area at that time.”

Yikes MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members