CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the perp phoned in hiding, her phone could alert him to her location. Like the other guy hiding in the woods, opening the screen would produce light he could see.

And, these guys put tracking apps hidden on target’s phone. If she thought that possible, she would likely have it powered off. Also, he may have been dialing her repeatedly. Another reason for her to have it powered off.

During the PC the Supt stated even though the perp was dead, his crimes would be fully investigated to the same extent as if he were to be tried, which I think everyone expects anyway. Maybe “critical witness” is a natural reference for that reason?
In my opinion it sort of means "key witness". Also, police could potentially arrest someone associated with the crime, eg who sold him weapons or the car decals, or even possibly provided direct aid. Though it's doubtful, they can't rule it out.

Hello everyone. I’m new to this site. First time posting but have followed both threads.

I live about 3 hrs away but have had many relatives that live or have lived in the Truro area. One of which is an RCMP member neighbouring these scenes. I just want to say we are all deeply saddened by this all. All our love to the families directly affected by this horrendous weekend.

I didn’t want to post anything until more information was fleshed out. I think I have found some facts that have yet to be covered on these two threads.

An interview with Sergeant Lilly who took Lisa McCullys children to safety.
In aftermath of Nova Scotia shootings, RCMP officer wishes he could’ve done more

These photos are taken from Bay Shore Road. From across the Portapique River. Looking over to the lower end of Portapique Beach Road. #293 has been burnt down.

View attachment 244840

View attachment 244842

There was confirmation by a family member of who’s place that is but since it was not from a Media source, I feel I should leave that detail out.

I have a theory of the escape field used, but I will post that in a separate post. Thank you.
Welcome to WS!

I've been wondering how the McCully and Blair children were rescued. Quite a few reports in the first couple of days said Lisa McCully had her children go to the basement before she went outside and that the Blair children escaped from their house after the killer left and ran to a neighbors.

In the article you linked, the officer stated he drove the McCully children to the hospital. I recall reading a MSM report that the neighbors the Blair children ran to was the McCullys house and that all four children hid together in the basement. The article you linked is the first mention of any of the children during the rampage I've read in nearly a week. The RCMP officer talked about taking the McCully children to hospital. That account doesn't contradict what I'd read about the 4 children being together, but it makes it less likely.

The trauma the children experienced is unimaginable. I am amazed that this depraved killer did not shoot them. He didn't show any mercy to the pets or neighbors coming to help his victims: he shot them.

I was thinking about that too. And what if he had targeted an officer with the intention of stealing an authentic cruiser with access to communication equipment, if he knew how to use it.
How does bulletproof glass work?

I think that’s a really an interesting idea about trying to get cruiser w communications. If he didn’t already have access somehow, getting it would have been really motivating, along with the thrill of the real thing.... sick puppy...

The delay in rescuing the kids may have been related to trying to ensure their physical and psychological safety on exit. Who knows what they would have seen or heard or experienced had they been led out in the immediate aftermath.

Hello everyone. I’m new to this site. First time posting but have followed both threads.

I live about 3 hrs away but have had many relatives that live or have lived in the Truro area. One of which is an RCMP member neighbouring these scenes. I just want to say we are all deeply saddened by this all. All our love to the families directly affected by this horrendous weekend.

I didn’t want to post anything until more information was fleshed out. I think I have found some facts that have yet to be covered on these two threads.

An interview with Sergeant Lilly who took Lisa McCullys children to safety.
In aftermath of Nova Scotia shootings, RCMP officer wishes he could’ve done more

These photos are taken from Bay Shore Road. From across the Portapique River. Looking over to the lower end of Portapique Beach Road. #293 has been burnt down.

View attachment 244840

View attachment 244842

There was confirmation by a family member of who’s place that is but since it was not from a Media source, I feel I should leave that detail out.

I have a theory of the escape field used, but I will post that in a separate post. Thank you.

I read this article before, but obviously not closely enough. Poor Sgt Lilly. His account shows how confident they were the guy was a murder suicide, which almost all of them are. These poor RCMP men and women.

As to the children: He went into one home seemingly looking for them (? Blair’s), but left and didn’t destroy the place. I wonder if there is a reason. Like did he “allow” the four young children to survive?

The delay in rescuing the kids may have been related to trying to ensure their physical and psychological safety on exit. Who knows what they would have seen or heard or experienced had they been led out in the immediate aftermath.

True. I have no doubt the RCMP took great care in protecting them and getting the children out. I haven't read any timeline that included how/where they were found and how they were taken out of the area. I have read a couple of posts mentioning 2 hours but it isn't clear whether the RCMP located the children 2 hours after arriving or moved them 2 hours after locating them. Where all the children together? Can you point me to the source of the 2 hours and rescue of the children? Thank you!

True. I have no doubt the RCMP took great care in protecting them and getting the children out. I haven't read any timeline that included how/where they were found and how they were taken out of the area. I have read a couple of posts mentioning 2 hours but it isn't clear whether the RCMP located the children 2 hours after arriving or moved them 2 hours after locating them. Where all the children together? Can you point me to the source of the 2 hours and rescue of the children? Thank you!

Good point. The media talks about them being on the line with 911 for 2 hours, but who knows when the children first hooked up with 911?

Welcome to WS!

I've been wondering how the McCully and Blair children were rescued. Quite a few reports in the first couple of days said Lisa McCully had her children go to the basement before she went outside and that the Blair children escaped from their house after the killer left and ran to a neighbors.

In the article you linked, the officer stated he drove the McCully children to the hospital. I recall reading a MSM report that the neighbors the Blair children ran to was the McCullys house and that all four children hid together in the basement. The article you linked is the first mention of any of the children during the rampage I've read in nearly a week. The RCMP officer talked about taking the McCully children to hospital. That account doesn't contradict what I'd read about the 4 children being together, but it makes it less likely.

The trauma the children experienced is unimaginable. I am amazed that this depraved killer did not shoot them. He didn't show any mercy to the pets or neighbors coming to help his victims: he shot them.
They may have been hiding together but once police located them they might have taken them to hospital separately. It is important to keep witnesses apart to prevent contamination or influence of witnesses statements by a dominant witness. I’m sure there are special considerations when children are involved as their version of events might be more susceptible to influence, especially in highly traumatic and chaotic circumstances - but also important to keep children with their own siblings to avoid further trauma. JMO I have no special knowledge about the memory recall of children or the process for interviewing child witnesses. But in general, witnesses are separated.

Maybe the paramedics weren’t allowed in the area either like the fire department for the first few hours and that’s why it took so like to get the kids out? I can’t figure that one out, but those 2 hours waiting for help must have felt like an eternity. Those poor kids have been through so much I hope they will be ok

Last edited:
.... I've been wondering how the McCully and Blair children were rescued. Quite a few reports in the first couple of days said Lisa McCully had her children go to the basement before she went outside and that the Blair children escaped from their house after the killer left and ran to a neighbors.

In the article you linked, the officer stated he drove the McCully children to the hospital. I recall reading a MSM report that the neighbors the Blair children ran to was the McCullys house and that all four children hid together in the basement. The article you linked is the first mention of any of the children during the rampage I've read in nearly a week. The RCMP officer talked about taking the McCully children to hospital. That account doesn't contradict what I'd read about the 4 children being together, but it makes it less likely. .....

Good point. The media talks about them being on the line with 911 for 2 hours, but who knows when the children first hooked up with 911?
In the article about the officer who drove McCully's children to the hospital, he says that when he returned from doing that, "a perimeter had been set up in the beachfront community to contain the area."

One would hope that if two hours had already passed before the kids were driven to the hospital, and Lilly then took them, and then returned to the Portapique area, (so how many hours in all of that??), a perimeter would already have been set up to contain the area before he'd ever left? If not, then how could they be so certain that the gunman hadn't escaped the area without them realizing?

Sgt. Lilly drove the children of Lisa McCully, one of the victims in Portapique, to a nearby hospital. When he returned, a perimeter had been set up in the beachfront community to contain the area.

I read in one place that it was five 'buildings' that had been burned (see MSM reference below). I also read that some of GW's properties had been burned (I'm assuming, but not sure, that the tally of five burned buildings is in Portapique and not counting the other area (Wentworth?) where another property was burned?) I'm also assuming GW's buildings are included in that tally of five? Does anyone know for SURE which properties burned?

Also, it seems unlikely, but is it possible that one or more of these buildings may have burned down due to the fire of a neighbouring property spreading? ie if one or more of the buildings may have been next door to GW's own place which he burned?

At that point, RCMP say they knew who they were looking for. They knew the gunman had a pistol and long-barrelled guns. His home and garages were ablaze as were two of his replica police cars and another vehicle. They thought they had the scene contained, Sgt. Lilly said. So he and some of his colleagues headed for home, at around 6:30 or 7 a.m. on April 19.
-------
Police fear that additional victims will be found in the five burned buildings.
‘They’re angels’: Brothers afraid parents are among victims of Nova Scotia killing
-------
Lisa Owen and her husband, Darrol Thurier, live on Hunter Road in West Wentworth, N.S., about 50 kilometres north of Portapique....
Just after 8 a.m. AT on Sunday, Owen said they heard what sounded like a gunshot.
Thurier drove his ATV down the road, but ran into other neighbours in a truck who told him to turn around because there was a house on fire and there were "bullets flying."

He returned home, where they locked the door and waited inside for about 10 minutes. Thurier said he then went outside to do some yardwork and heard a "very, very loud" explosion.....

Thurier saw flames and black smoke billowing into the air.

He again drove down the road on his ATV, and met a volunteer firefighter standing at the end of the driveway to the home of Alanna Jenkins and Sean McLeod.

Although they called 911, Owen said the dispatcher told them that fire crews were standing down since there was an active shooter in the area and it wasn't safe for them to respond.

"Basically, their hands were tied. So we just watched it go up in flames," Owen said.

The couple said the cars belonging to Jenkins and McLeod were parked in the driveway.

About 30 minutes later, Thurier said their son came to tell them he'd seen another neighbour, Tom Bagley, lying dead near the house fire.

CBC News has confirmed Jenkins, McLeod, and Bagley were among the victims.

Thurier and his son went back to the fire scene, as Owen again called 911.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-shooting-neighbours-1.5538985

I read in one place that it was five 'buildings' that had been burned (see MSM reference below). I also read that some of GW's properties had been burned (I'm assuming, but not sure, that the tally of five burned buildings is in Portapique and not counting the other area (Wentworth?) where another property was burned?) I'm also assuming GW's buildings are included in that tally of five? Does anyone know for SURE which properties burned?

Also, it seems unlikely, but is it possible that one or more of these buildings may have burned down due to the fire of a neighbouring property spreading? ie if one or more of the buildings may have been next door to GW's own place which he burned?

At that point, RCMP say they knew who they were looking for. They knew the gunman had a pistol and long-barrelled guns. His home and garages were ablaze as were two of his replica police cars and another vehicle. They thought they had the scene contained, Sgt. Lilly said. So he and some of his colleagues headed for home, at around 6:30 or 7 a.m. on April 19.
-------
Police fear that additional victims will be found in the five burned buildings.
‘They’re angels’: Brothers afraid parents are among victims of Nova Scotia killing
-------
Lisa Owen and her husband, Darrol Thurier, live on Hunter Road in West Wentworth, N.S., about 50 kilometres north of Portapique....
Just after 8 a.m. AT on Sunday, Owen said they heard what sounded like a gunshot.
Thurier drove his ATV down the road, but ran into other neighbours in a truck who told him to turn around because there was a house on fire and there were "bullets flying."

He returned home, where they locked the door and waited inside for about 10 minutes. Thurier said he then went outside to do some yardwork and heard a "very, very loud" explosion.....

Thurier saw flames and black smoke billowing into the air.

He again drove down the road on his ATV, and met a volunteer firefighter standing at the end of the driveway to the home of Alanna Jenkins and Sean McLeod.

Although they called 911, Owen said the dispatcher told them that fire crews were standing down since there was an active shooter in the area and it wasn't safe for them to respond.

"Basically, their hands were tied. So we just watched it go up in flames," Owen said.

The couple said the cars belonging to Jenkins and McLeod were parked in the driveway.

About 30 minutes later, Thurier said their son came to tell them he'd seen another neighbour, Tom Bagley, lying dead near the house fire.

CBC News has confirmed Jenkins, McLeod, and Bagley were among the victims.

Thurier and his son went back to the fire scene, as Owen again called 911.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-shooting-neighbours-1.5538985

There were 7 in total. The house the kids were along with 5 others in portapique was on the list of structural fires I saw, but it must have caught on fire after the kids were rescued since the house next door and gw workshop across from them were engulfed in flames and the fire department wasn’t allowed in to put the fires out. I really don’t know how it all happened :(

Last edited:
Maybe the paramedics weren’t allowed in the area either like the fire department for the first few hours and that’s why it took so like to get the kids out? I can’t figure that one out, but those 2 hours waiting for help must have felt like an eternity. Those poor kids have been through so much I hope they will be ok

That's right. The paramedics would not have been able to go in. I believe it is them and / or fired crews in the clip of radio communication asking "Do you have him?" (words to that effect) because they are waiting to go in.

That's right. The paramedics would not have been able to go in. I believe it is them and / or fired crews in the clip of radio communication asking "Do you have him?" (words to that effect) because they are waiting to go in.
I agree. Paramedics wouldn't be allowed in while there is an active shooter/arsonist. In a situation such as this, with such widespread carnage, police probably wouldn't have been able to make the determination that there was no longer a threat for a number of hours, as they searched door-to-door. I would also conclude that the extended delay was one of the reasons that were so few savable victims at the scene.

In the article about the officer who drove McCully's children to the hospital, he says that when he returned from doing that, "a perimeter had been set up in the beachfront community to contain the area."

One would hope that if two hours had already passed before the kids were driven to the hospital, and Lilly then took them, and then returned to the Portapique area, (so how many hours in all of that??), a perimeter would already have been set up to contain the area before he'd ever left? If not, then how could they be so certain that the gunman hadn't escaped the area without them realizing?

Sgt. Lilly drove the children of Lisa McCully, one of the victims in Portapique, to a nearby hospital. When he returned, a perimeter had been set up in the beachfront community to contain the area.

the hospital is half hour drive away from portapique each way.

I agree. Paramedics wouldn't be allowed in while there is an active shooter/arsonist. In a situation such as this, with such widespread carnage, police probably wouldn't have been able to make the determination that there was no longer a threat for a number of hours, as they searched door-to-door. I would also conclude that the extended delay was one of the reasons that were so few savable victims at the scene.

But wouldn’t the police be allowed to go rescue the children then or were they held back from entering the area as well? They said they were going door to door telling people to stay inside, the house the kids were in was one of the first few houses on the road. It doesn’t make any sense

But wouldn’t the police be allowed to go rescue the children then or were they held back from entering the area as well?
I think that’s a really an interesting idea about trying to get cruiser w communications. If he didn’t already have access somehow, getting it would have been really motivating, along with the thrill of the real thing.... sick puppy...

No he pulled over on the side of the hwy where the police officer was parked and shot the officer in his car, and kept on going down the hwy. He pulled up to the next officer he met on the hwy and shot and killed her, stole her gun and lit her car and his on fire. Then he shot and stole a bystanders car who had stopped to help. Then he drove to his next victims house and killed her too. He was finally caught at a gas station getting gas 10 mins before the city

Yes. The police would. Paramedics are supposed to wait until the area has been cleared of the active shooter threat. I'm not sure the level of CPR training RCMP officers receive, but they might be able to treat wounded victims (to the best of their ability) and perhaps transport them to the area where the paramedics are staging. In an active shooter situation, however, that might not be prudent or possible, since their first objective is to neutralize the threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks