CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@paganini I wonder if the Ellison house was on the main paved highway. He’s being interviewed on the paved road at the entrance to Portapique Beach Rd the unpaved area and he’s outside the crime scene and come to get his vehicle he says.

Also confusing is that report that the gf was a neighbour. She worked with him in his Dartmouth office so I’m not convinced she was a neighbour in Portapique. In the RCMP PC there were a couple of times when things seemed to be misspoken or misread adding to the confusion. So IMO the majority of reports indicate they lived together at least when in Portapique.

Just sleuthing around here and
As McDonalds suggests above we’ll have to wait to see if the RCMP releases more information from gf’s testimony. In the meantime I’ve Continued to look for MSM reporting of the party. Any articles I’ve found credit Global News as the “party” reporting source.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858994/nova-scotia-shootings-gunman-attacked-girlfrien
d

The presenter begins by saying (IMO in a rather salacious and tabloid way) that they have “exclusive new information” and then the reporter who is based in Ottawa, not the Maritimes, says “Here’s what we know. The shooter and his girlfriend were at a party...”
In the written version below the news clip it says
“Investigators believe Wortman and his girlfriend were at a party”. “Believe” not “know”.

But again the only further MSM references to this party quote Global News and not the RCMP or a named source.

Then back to my obsession with the house/cottage. I re-found this early article in which Mrs Hudson, a neighbour, is interviewed. Later articles on this thread have quoted her husband re: the fight at the bonfire and car tires being removed. (Man *** had a lot of energy.)

From her description and looking at the aerial view the log home showpiece is likely 200 Portapique Beach. 136 Orchard Beach surrounded by a gravel parking lot doesn’t look like a showpiece from the air but 200 looks quite massive.

“She said he started renovating the log home around 2002 and built additions aimed at making the home a showpiece.

"He made it more of his home in the last couple of years," she said, adding that he enjoyed showing off his property. "He was semi-retired ... and the guy was very proud of his work."

Canadian Press report:
Many who knew N.S. gunman struggle to come to terms with killing rampage

Just my comment in considering how accurate the party story might be: that news report from Global has a lot of good information, which appears to have all come from the same source in the investigation: for eg the details about the girlfriend emerging from the woods the next morning, which was later confirmed by the RCMP. From that, it seems to me Global did get a big exclusive, off the record briefing, including the party story, from a police source, but that detail hasn't been officially confirmed yet by RCMP.

@paganini
Also confusing is that report that the gf was a neighbour. She worked with him in his Dartmouth office so I’m not convinced she was a neighbour in Portapique. In the RCMP PC there were a couple of times when things seemed to be misspoken or misread adding to the confusion. So IMO the majority of reports indicate they lived together at least when in Portapique.

RSBM

There is a helpful translation and time pointer for that portion of the press conference, a couple of pages back. IMO there wasn't any big confusion. The reporter asked whether police could provide more details on the relationship, in particular, were they estranged. After clarifying that she was asking about the girlfriend, the Supt said decisively, 'they were neighbours'. The reporter said 'thanks' and didn't follow up to clarify.

Just my interpretation, I think the reporter was fishing for an indication that she might have left him. That is when domestic violence seems to most often lead to attempted murder - which makes sense, psychologically. When a partner leaves, she is no longer under his control unless he unleashes a "final solution". The Supt, without talking in detail about someone's private life, found a clear way to confirmed the reporter was correct, the girlfriend was no longer living with him, she had moved out, likely quite recently. Possibly he crashed the party, rather than went there with her.

Just me speculating.

Edited to add: another possibility is that he had been acting increasingly strange in planning this attack, and that drove her to go stay with a neighbour.

Last edited:
If not already posted:

Nova Scotia shooting victim’s widower launches class-action lawsuit against killer’s estate

The lawsuit is seeking damages for “the spouses, children and/or parents” of the victims of Gabriel Wortman, who police have identified as the man who went on a killing spree through several Nova Scotia towns starting on the night of April 18, before he was killed by RCMP on April 19.

The action alleges that Wortman’s estate is liable to the families of the victims and those who were injured in the shootings, along with injuries and damage caused by multiple house fires police say the gunman started along the way.

@Satchie On two other sites I’ve been following, the consensus has been the French/ English translation was poor. The question/ answer leading to the neighbour-thing was affected by that. I will not be surprised is there is a clarification in the next press conference, and I will be surprised if she really was a “neighbour” at this point. I think there was confusion in the response, and the reference to neighborhood was actually to Lisa McCully, and not the common-law, whose name is also Lisa.

@mcdonalds and all for not properly citing source of map. It isn’t my work. Tomorrow, I will find the source and edit my prior comment to attribute the work appropriately. Apologies.

If not already posted:

Nova Scotia shooting victim’s widower launches class-action lawsuit against killer’s estate

The lawsuit is seeking damages for “the spouses, children and/or parents” of the victims of Gabriel Wortman, who police have identified as the man who went on a killing spree through several Nova Scotia towns starting on the night of April 18, before he was killed by RCMP on April 19.

The action alleges that Wortman’s estate is liable to the families of the victims and those who were injured in the shootings, along with injuries and damage caused by multiple house fires police say the gunman started along the way.

In a second article (cbc) Mr Beaton is quoted as saying "I understand that everyone, including the RCMP were victims of this mans rampage".

EVERYONE ........ enough said

IMO - Mr Beaton and his legal team should be ashamed. They have done the very things that make domestic victims NOT come forward in the first place - gas light,name shame/blame, humiliate, isolate and publicly victimize a domestic abuse survivor.

In a second article (cbc) Mr Beaton is quoted as saying "I understand that everyone, including the RCMP were victims of this mans rampage".

IMO - Mr Beaton and his legal team should be ashamed. They have done the very things that make domestic victims NOT come forward in the first place - gas light,name shame/blame, humiliate, isolate and publicly victimize a domestic abuse survivor.

Are you referring to this CBC article for Beaton's quote?

There is some public backlash against the gf and the idea of helping her. A friend of hers, Sarah Leblanc, started a fundraiser for the gf, but it was later deleted.

If the judge approves the lawsuit, it does need to be open to the gf as well.

Last edited:
@paganini I wonder if the Ellison house was on the main paved highway. He’s being interviewed on the paved road at the entrance to Portapique Beach Rd the unpaved area and he’s outside the crime scene and come to get his vehicle he says.

I also wonder that the word “neighbour” was a mistranslation or the question was misunderstood. It occurred when the French RCMP Officer was asked a question about the relationship between the two. She clearly wasn’t directly involved in the investigation as Campbell had to quietly provide her with the answer which she said then replied in french but it was the media french/english translator who said the word “neighbour”. That doesn’t make sense because Campbell had already referred to her as a common-law spouse.

I note that MSM hasn’t ran with it so perhaps it was clarified with the media as the question came almost at the end of the Q and A, following the PC.

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...hot-at-person-who-wasn-t-n-s-gunman-1.5559321
“Confusion over a parked police cruiser and someone wearing a safety vest led two RCMP officers to start shooting at a person at a central Nova Scotia firehall during the manhunt for the gunman in last month's mass shooting, sources confirmed to CBC.....

......Pat Curran, acting director of SIRT, said he didn't have any additional details to share this week. But the chaotic scene that unfolded at the hall reflects just how frantic the search for the gunman was that morning.

By the time the two officers arrived at the firehall, the shooter was already about 20 kilometres further south, where he passed a gas station in the Brookfield area, according to surveillance photos the Mounties released last week.

Peers wasn't at the firehall that morning and said it's still not clear to the firefighters what exactly prompted the RCMP officers to start firing. But he said he can appreciate they were in the midst of an unpredictable situation.

"It obviously definitely had something to do with the shooter, you know. But how that unfolded? I had no idea. And it was a pretty tense time," Peers said. "We're not probing or anything like that."

Like any family unit, the Onslow Belmont firefighters look out for one another, said Peers. They regularly get together for breakfast on Sundays to swap stories about their week......”

Do you think they could obtain class certification with her as part of the plaintiff group? I don't think there is a chance. She has a much different, more complicated and quite possibly stronger claim against the estate.

I'm welcome to hear your thoughts on why she should be included in the class action. It's always been my understanding and experience that class certification is the most difficult and technical part of the process.

Are you referring to this CBC article for Beaton's quote?

There is some public backlash against the gf and the idea of helping her. A friend of hers, Sarah Leblanc, started a fundraiser for the gf, but it was later deleted.

If the judge approves the lawsuit, it does need to be open to the gf as well.

apologies- i should have posted the link. Yes that is the article I was referencing.

JMO: Part of the backlash is there are no details to the extent of the assault/injuries with the girlfriend other than to say "significant". The gravity and extent of the assault to the girlfriend has been overshadowed by the details/stories of the other victims/survivors. If anything the vagueness and secrecy of the assault on the girlfriend isn't protecting her or the investigation.

apologies- i should have posted the link. Yes that is the article I was referencing.

JMO: Part of the backlash is there are no details to the extent of the assault/injuries with the girlfriend other than to say "significant". The gravity and extent of the assault to the girlfriend has been overshadowed by the details/stories of the other victims/survivors. If anything the vagueness and secrecy of the assault on the girlfriend isn't protecting her or the investigation.

I’d think any of the families of the victims would be eternally grateful if their beloved family members had been significantly injured, as opposed to being killed by a cold-blooded maniac.

I’m not minimizing the seriousness of domestic violence but the common law spouse has been given the opportunity to heal. The innocent victims who are no longer alive do not and for that reason, the emphasis that’s being placed on them at this times rightly takes precedence IMO.

I’d think any of the families of the victims would be eternally grateful if their beloved family members had been significantly injured, as opposed to being killed by a cold-blooded maniac.

I’m not minimizing the seriousness of domestic violence but the common law spouse has been given the opportunity to heal. The innocent victims who are no longer alive do not and for that reason, the emphasis that’s being placed on them at this times rightly takes precedence IMO.

I agree with you, but I would point out that she has a very tough row to hoe. The survivors will live with their loss forever. I expect she has losses as well, in friends among the victims. Additionally, attempts to implicate her or vilify her (which I have seen elsewhere) are probably evident to her in her community, and will compound her experience of survivor guilt for the rest of her live. I know you said "opportunity to heal", but I can barely imagine how one would be able to get on with their life, never mind heal.

@mcdonalds - I believe that she cannot be part of the class action because of her status with respect to the estate. For example, had he died without all of this happening (one can only wish), I would think she would have had entitlement through spousal laws (if he didn't have a will). If he has a will, beneficiaries probably can't be part of the suit because they have conflicting interests with the families. Additionally, those in the suit have in common that their family member was murdered, and, for some, their family property was destroyed. She doesn't have having a family member murdered in common with them.

I would think she has been advised to bring her own suit against the estate, at the very least, to protect what actually belongs to her.

I agree with you, but I would point out that she has a very tough row to hoe. The survivors will live with their loss forever. I expect she has losses as well, in friends among the victims. Additionally, attempts to implicate her or vilify her (which I have seen elsewhere) are probably evident to her in her community, and will compound her experience of survivor guilt for the rest of her live. I know you said "opportunity to heal", but I can barely imagine how one would be able to get on with their life, never mind heal.

I’d agree so I just can’t imagine how putting her front and foremost in the media at this time - or possibly at any time - would be beneficial to her in any way. We don’t know anything about her financial or personal situation at this time but of course people always like to speculate, judge and form conclusions.

I’d agree so I just can’t imagine how putting her front and foremost in the media at this time - or possibly at any time - would be beneficial to her in any way. We don’t know anything about her financial or personal situation at this time but of course people always like to speculate, judge and form conclusions.

Until the class action lawsuit by Mr.Beaton- her name was not widely known except for a gossip column tabloid and I believe it was shared vaguely by one poster here.

Yes, earlier in the thread people mentioned confusion over whether she and one of the murdered were the same person.

Until the class action lawsuit by Mr.Beaton- her name was not widely known except for a gossip column tabloid and I believe it was shared vaguely by one poster here.

It appears her name has been redacted from all media reports. in accordance to privacy legislation, a victim’s consent is required prior to the media publishing any names. I’m not sure how much information the RCMP can release about her relationship to GW without her consent.

As for the class action lawsuit, it might not be a farfetched possibility to wonder if the girlfriend/common law spouse is a beneficiary of the Estate although, we don’t know if there was a Will or not. But if she is a beneficiary, that’d be a reason she wasn’t invited to join the class action lawsuit, should it be granted legal permission to proceed. Civil suits are not resolved quickly in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ss-action-against-ns-gunmans-estate-1.5560702
“The class action is open to spouses, children and/or parents of those killed, those who were injured and those who suffered property damage.

The class action excludes the gunman's girlfriend.....

......He said it was important to move swiftly in filing the class action, so he can then file another action to freeze the assets in the shooter's estate....”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01