CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add

He also said he wanted to be clear that the common law spouse was a victim and didn't want the word catalyst that he previously used imply in any way that she somehow caused what the gunman did.

The PC confused me. The officer mentioned that GW and his gf were common law, but that she lived nearby. Did I hear that right?

Hi! New here. Wondering if we know where in Dartmouth the shooter lived? Was it in the same building as his clinic?
In this article, it states his address at the time of a "charge" against him, which is also the address of his denture clinic. I believe it was mentioned somewhere else as well that he lived at his Dartmouth clinic, I just can't find it at the moment. In today's PC, the superintendent was vague but did mention that it appeared GW was primarily using his Portapique Beach Rd. residence at the time of the incident, but did not want to elaborate further. My assumption only, could it be since the Covid 19 closure of non-essential businesses that he closed up and decided to wait it out in Portapique? JMO

Nova Scotia shooting: What we know about the alleged gunman

"His address listed on the charge sheet is 193 Portland St. in Dartmouth, N.S., and matches the address for the Atlantic Denture Clinic he owned, according to property records."

I thought I heard that too, that she lived nearby. That confused me too.
The other part that really got to me was that while I knew places had been burned down, it appears they were alive when that happened. I had thought it they were shot first and then had their houses burnt.
I read that the police were there 12 minutes after the first 911 call. They arrived at 10:26. So that would mean the calls went out at 10:14. So if he started a few minutes before that, say 10 pm and left the area at 10:35, it seems a lot to do in that time frame. Not just murders but house fires too.

The PC confused me. The officer mentioned that GW and his gf were common law, but that she lived nearby. Did I hear that right?

I think there was some confusion about a first victim vs the common law wife

I think Supt Campbell was actually referring to the neighbor lady LM who lived across the street but I'm not entirely sure it was kind of confusing.

It could also be possible that he was in fact referring to the common law wife as being a neighbor, but I'm not sure

ETA It was confusing bc Supt campbell had referenced that the relationship of the shooter and common law wife multiple times throughout the presser.

The reporter then asked what was the relationship of the first victim and the gunman and after some conferring back and forth between the two officials .

They then answered that they were neighbors

Last edited:
I think there was some confusion about a first victim vs the common law wife

I think Supt Campbell was actually referring to the neighbor lady LM who lived across the street but I'm not entirely sure it was kind of confusing.

It could also be possible that he was in fact referring to the common law wife as being a neighbor, but I'm not sure

I didn’t notice any confusion, unless I missed something. A question was asked about the girlfriend and he replied to it, using the term “common-law” wife. For a girlfriend to be considered common-law wouldn’t the two be living together? It also indicates their relationship was beyond that of dating.

I thought I heard that too, that she lived nearby. That confused me too.
The other part that really got to me was that while I knew places had been burned down, it appears they were alive when that happened. I had thought it they were shot first and then had their houses burnt.
I read that the police were there 12 minutes after the first 911 call. They arrived at 10:26. So that would mean the calls went out at 10:14. So if he started a few minutes before that, say 10 pm and left the area at 10:35, it seems a lot to do in that time frame. Not just murders but house fires too.

It was also reported the initial call from Portapique was a “firearms complaint”, suggesting somebody heard the sound of gunfire.

But the homes were quite spread out, not all were occupied and it was nighttime. Plus it appears he viciously murdered those who left their homes to see what was going on so. I don’t recall if it’s been mentioned when the RCMP believe this reign of terror began.

I didn’t notice any confusion, unless I missed something. A question was asked about the girlfriend and he replied to it, using the term “common-law” wife. For a girlfriend to be considered common-law wouldn’t the two be living together? It also indicates their relationship was beyond that of dating.

It was right at the end - a question asked in french. It seemed to conflate his gf and his neighbour. We can listen again when the whole recording is available.

Does anybody think it strange that the RCMP doesn't have a national protocol for active shooters?

“There is currently no national RCMP policy on the use of the national Alert Ready system,” said RCMP national spokesperson Cpl. Caroline Duval.

There is ‘no national RCMP policy’ for when emergency alerts should be issued

I don't think anybody does. They've just never been used before in that context anywhere in the country, in part because the system is relatively new, and in part because, gratefully, we don't experience a lot of this kind of violence. He mentioned in the update that a national association of chiefs of police was discussing, and that's presumably chiefs at all levels of policing across the country.

This may clear it up

Reporter: What can you tell us about the first woman that was assaulted?

Spokeswoman: Are you talking about his girlfriend?

Reporter: yes Can you clarify what the nature of their relationship was were they still together, so that we have a little more information on that

Spokeswoman after conferring with Spokesman: They were neighbors

@57:15

Yah IDK Supt Campbell referred to her as his common law partner/wife during the statement portion of the press conference

Per RCMP Superintendent Darren Campbell, from presser:

Details of gunman’s movements (detailed route map exhibits shown)

10:26 LE arrives at Portapique Beach

10:35 Gunman leaves Portapique Beach area (per a subsequent witness statement)

11:12 pm industrial area in Debert, spent the night there

5:43 am travelling north on Highway 4 towards Wentworth

6:29 At residence on Hunter Road (3 victims)

9:35am southbound on Hunter Road
9:?? Highway 4 and 224*** (think he meant highway 246) (Wentworth) another victim

9:48 2900 Block of Highway 9 (Glenholme/Debert) knocks on door of residents, they don’t answer

Northbound again on Highway 4 to Plains Road (Debert)

10:08 LE receives call near industrial area in Debert (where he spent the night) re another shooting (2 victims on Plains Road)

Passed through Onslow

10:15, 10:16, 10:20 in Truro

10:25 -10:2? Millbrook First Nations changing clothes (Highway 2)

10:32 Passes gas station in Brookfield area

10:49 Wounds Const. Morrison

Down Highway 224, stopped at a known victim’s residence, switched vehicle, switched clothing

Mazda Vehicle south on 224.

Gets on Highway 102 (divided highway)

11:23 Exits Highway 102 to the Irving Big Stop

Per RCMP Superintendent Darren Campbell, from presser:

Details of gunman’s movements (detailed route map exhibits shown)

10:26 LE arrives at Portapique Beach

10:35 Gunman leaves Portapique Beach area (per a subsequent witness statement)

11:12 pm industrial area in Debert, spent the night there

5:43 am travelling north on Highway 4 towards Wentworth

6:29 At residence on Hunter Road (3 victims)

9:35am southbound on Hunter Road

9:?? Highway 4 and 224*** (think he meant highway 246) (Wentworth) another victim

9:48 2900 Block of Highway 9 (Glenholme/Debert) knocks on door of residents, they don’t answer

Northbound again on Highway 4 to Plains Road (Debert)

10:08 LE receives call near industrial area in Debert (where he spent the night) re another shooting (2 victims on Plains Road)

Passed through Onslow

10:15, 10:16, 10:20 in Truro

10:25 -10:2? Millbrook First Nations changing clothes (Highway 2)

10:32 Passes gas station in Brookfield area

10:49 Wounds Const. Morrison

Down Highway 224, stopped at a known victim’s residence, switched vehicle, switched clothing

Mazda Vehicle south on 224.

Gets on Highway 102 (divided highway)

11:23 Exits Highway 102 to the Irving Big Stop

There aren’t many viable explanations for the shooter’s escape from the Portapique neighborhood given the timeline. Police arrived on the scene at 10:26 to encounter a wounded man with a gunshot wound. The injured man said he had been shot on Portapique Beach Rd., the only road into and out of the neighborhood. The shooter’s only way out of the neighborhood within the timeline given at the PC today was to double back, heading north on Portapique Beach Rd. But he probably saw an RCMP cruiser with its lights on at the entrance to the neighborhood, likely getting information from the wounded victim and the woman traveling with the wounded victim. Knowing he had to escape or risk being caught, he likely turned right on Orchard Beach Dr. and continued straight (at the point where the road made a sharp turn to the right) through the field that would lead to Brown Loop and onto Highway headed east. Supt. Campbell said in today’s presser that a neighbor spotted the shooter’s car driving through a field. There are three homes at that location that could have potentially been able to spot the shooter’s imitation cruiser, 75 and 61 Portapique Beach Rd., and 71 Orchard Beach Dr. The other alternative would be for the shooter to have tried escaping by heading south down Portapique Beach Rd., then turning left on to Faris Lane. But Faris Lane is a dead end, and it appears there is no back trail or field in that part of Portapique. Anyway, it is very unlikely he could have escaped via that route in 9 minutes.

Attachments

• Portapique - Escape Route.png
    Portapique - Escape Route.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors