CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Superintendent Darren Campbell explains his use of the word "catalyst":

Before we take some questions, I would just like to clarify some information and questions that arose from my last conference on last Friday. And it was a comment that I had made with respect to a question about the assault on the common law spouse by the gunman. I had described that as it’s under a number of possibilities as to whether or not that could have been a significant incident and I think I used the word “catalyst”. I would like to clarify that my meaning of that word "catalyst" was that it was the first significant assault through the course of the events that unfolded that evening. I do not want to leave anyone with the impression that the victim of that assault…ah… had anything to do with the gunman continuing on with his rampage. The wording "catalyst" was used to express that that was the first victim in the series of very horrific events, and I want to be very clear that violence against women is intolerable. It’s real. It exists. And I don’t want to be misunderstood that the victim had any blame in relation to what occurred or transpired on those awful days.” [emphasis added]​

Superintendent Darren Campbell
Press Conference, April 28, 2020

Sorry I double posted and cannot for the life of me figure out how to undo that! Sorry folks. I am at a loss with "tech" stuff.

it's not you - there is no way to completely delete a post unless you're a moderator
you can always alert (click report) on the post and ask a moderator to delete for you
Welcome to WS!

One thing I do wonder about, how did she know he was wearing an RCMP and “in possession” of the 4th police cruiser when she called 911 and emerged early that Sunday morning? Had the two communicated via cellphone?

“After the woman somehow escaped and emerged from hiding at daybreak on Sunday, she called 911 and informed investigators that Wortman “was in possession of a fully marked and equipped replica RCMP vehicle and was wearing an RCMP uniform,” Campbell said...”
N.S. mass murderer’s uniform, cruiser let him kill at will. He looked like one of us, RCMP say
RSBM

I expect there was a conversation back and forth, rather than a monologue. Possibly she felt safer hiding from him in the woods when it was dark, but as soon as it was light, she'd become afraid he might find her, so she called 911. She'd want to know if they caught him yet. They'd say no, they thought he might be dead in his house. She'd say, no, he left me to burn to death in the house. They might ask what he was wearing, would he be on foot, did he have an ATV, etc.

I don't think she was sitting in the woods speculating on scenarios, I think in paralyzing fear all you can think is: he's coming to get me, I have to hide.

The Supt indicated they thought he had killed the people in the home 3 hrs before he set fire to it. He would have needed to hide his car, I think. Then, goulishly, eat something, possibly shower, and I bet, look at the news coverage.
It's crazy to think about what the perp did during this time isn't it?? I agree he was doing a combination of things like you mentioned, and I definitely don't think he was sleeping.

JMO

RSBM

I expect there was a conversation back and forth, rather than a monologue. Possibly she felt safer hiding from him in the woods when it was dark, but as soon as it was light, she'd become afraid he might find her, so she called 911. She'd want to know if they caught him yet. They'd say no, they thought he might be dead in his house. She'd say, no, he left me to burn to death in the house. They might ask what he was wearing, would he be on foot, did he have an ATV, etc.

I don't think she was sitting in the woods speculating on scenarios, I think in paralyzing fear all you can think is: he's coming to get me, I have to hide.

I can only imagine that level of terror. Poor lady.

Has it been discussed on this thread whether the shooter had his cell phone with him during his rampage, if it's been recovered by the RCMP, and whether or not it has yielded information about the route he took after leaving Portapique, or any other information helpful to the investigation? I haven't seen it mentioned in MSM articles, or heard it asked about at the press conference today, or last Friday.

The PC confused me. The officer mentioned that GW and his gf were common law, but that she lived nearby. Did I hear that right?
Like others, I wonder if there is some sort of confusion here on the part of the question and answer because a friend of the gunman's common-law was interviewed on CTV a short time ago and said the common-law has lost everything. Doesn't mean they hadn't separated, I know.

Supt. Campbell said in the April 28th PC that 9 of the victims died by fire which is so horrific. There were 13 victims in the Portapique area, so only 4 died by gun shots? This is all so horrible! My heart is broken. I had heard that the Tuck Family house was not burned by MSM when Jolene Oliver's sister from Alberta was interviewed. Corrie Ellison was found dead in the road by his brother so does anyone know if these are the 4 victims that died by shooting there?

This may clear it up

Reporter: What can you tell us about the first woman that was assaulted?

Spokeswoman: Are you talking about his girlfriend?

Reporter: yes Can you clarify what the nature of their relationship was were they still together, so that we have a little more information on that

Spokeswoman after conferring with Spokesman: They were neighbors

@57:15

RE: girl friend vs common law vs neighbour. This begins to get confusing again. Was the gf a neighbour in Dartmouth or at the cottage in Portapique. In an early report before anyone new she was still alive “a former client at his clinic, who asked that her name not be used, recalled that *** and his common-law partner who worked with him were jovial and easy-going together when she received new dentures from him in September.”

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news/provincial/those-who-knew-gabriel-wortman-stunned-by-news-of-shooting-spree-439461/#.Xp0Ip7Wrge0.twitter

Like others, I wonder if there is some sort of confusion here on the part of the question and answer because a friend of the gunman's common-law was interviewed on CTV a short time ago and said the common-law has lost everything. Doesn't mean they hadn't separated, I know.
How long ago was it on CTV?

Maybe she didn't have access to her cell while she was in the trees? If an ex beat the living crap out of me, tied me up and left me to die in a burning house, I'd be shell shocked and wouldn't come out of hiding for hours either.
The Ellison fellow said he was afraid to use his phone because it would light up when he did and he was afraid it would attract the gunman. He may also have been calling it.... Perhaps she waited until daybreak so the light wouldn't show when she used it, and then called 911 asking for a police officer to identify themselves for her in so way so she could come out knowing it wasn't him hiding among them.

Hello everyone. I’m new to this site. First time posting but have followed both threads.

I live about 3 hrs away but have had many relatives that live or have lived in the Truro area. One of which is an RCMP member neighbouring these scenes. I just want to say we are all deeply saddened by this all. All our love to the families directly affected by this horrendous weekend.

I didn’t want to post anything until more information was fleshed out. I think I have found some facts that have yet to be covered on these two threads.

An interview with Sergeant Lilly who took Lisa McCullys children to safety.
In aftermath of Nova Scotia shootings, RCMP officer wishes he could’ve done more

These photos are taken from Bay Shore Road. From across the Portapique River. Looking over to the lower end of Portapique Beach Road. #293 has been burnt down.

View attachment 244840

View attachment 244842

There was confirmation by a family member of who’s place that is but since it was not from a Media source, I feel I should leave that detail out.

I have a theory of the escape field used, but I will post that in a separate post. Thank you.
Welcome NBKevadian. I’m so sorry.

Has it been determined how he set the fires? The houses that I have seen burned down were a total loss. Were they blown up some sort of explosive? what did he use? Possibly a chemical related to making dentures? Did he have a huge stockpile? This really bugs at me for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member