CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police vehicles, purchased by auctions, other additions to vehicles were purchased from other sources by gunman and installed including using the assistance of other people. (Suggesting it wasn’t only the gunmans intent to create a replica police car but others knowingly helped him do it, aside from the decals?)

All guns were obtained illegally, the one from Canada was obtained from an individual now deceased.

A number of people who came forward declared they witnessed the uniform, car, domestic violence etc but have confirmed they didn’t file a complaint.

Can confirm the Illegal weapons were all acquired after 2010 bulletin.

psychological autopsy to this point - he was an injustice collector, turning things inward until he boiled over in rage.

The work of the RCMP is continuing.

I can’t type fast enough to include everything Campbell said, so the video once it’s released will definitely be worth watching.

Last edited:
More a different spokesperson, update on separate investigations. Three others ongoing including N.S. Serious Response, two external oversight investigations. These active investigations limit the information the RCMP are able to provide to the public.

Mentions the Alert has never been used in Canada to forewarn of an active shooter. Appears there are logistic issues not yet resolved, how can it be used in specific areas so as to not overwhelm the broader 911 system and prevent other legitimate emergency calls from getting through.

Question regarding the 2013 domestic violence complaint.
Answer - RCMP appreciate any information received by the public. As of yesterday 2 officers were identified who were involved in the complaint. “It’s always hopeful to get first-hand information regarding the complaint“.....(still looking into complaint).

Another question - A the RCMP truly believed they had gunman pinned down on somebody's property, (doesn’t say why they thought this though other than the “tight timeline“).

Mentions another officer who had occasion to visit the residence but he didn’t notice anything untoward (was this a result of complaints lodged by GW??? just guessing)

Injustice collector was terminology developed by FBI and used in the area of forensic psychology.

Determined Const Stevenson did not intentionally ram gunman’s vehicle through analysis by a collision analyst. It appears gunman entered the wrong lane at the intersection.

Another response, mentions the Privacy Act and the challenge of balance between privacy and public safety. Retention of records, purging at a two year point, something that’s being looked at.

The initial information to RCMP from witnesses indicated gunman pulled over vehicles (mentions family members were obviously traumatized) but further investigation revealed gunman was not actively pulling over vehicles.

Weapons were accumulated “well after” 2011 bulletin. The RCMP do know who provided weapons, investigation still ongoing. Will charges be laid? The job of the RCMP is to provide information to Public Prosector, who is also actively working internationally. (obviously we can’t file charges if an American sold the weapons to GW in the US).

That’s all......Thanking the victims families for their patience and understanding. They are in the forefront, RCMP are committed to a pull and proper investigation. Also expressing full confidence in the officers who were involved, who highly trained and skilled.

More updates in the coming days and weeks.

I was surprised by the comment he had not pulled over vehicles....however I am perplexed as to what happened then.
The Glenholme incident is also intriguing as frustratingly few details emerged. I wish that had been expanded upon.
Overall I am less certain about events than before the press conference.

Injustice collector was terminology developed by FBI and used in the area of forensic psychology.

Another response, mentions the Privacy Act and the challenge of balance between privacy and public safety. Retention of records, purging at a two year point, something that’s being looked at.

Injustice collector sounds akin to grudge holder. Good that they're looking into the purge of records.

Thanks for all your work, Misty! Much appreciated!

I was surprised by the comment he had not pulled over vehicles....however I am perplexed as to what happened then.
The Glenholme incident is also intriguing as frustratingly few details emerged. I wish that had been expanded upon.
Overall I am less certain about events than before the press conference.

My impression was the purpose of the Press Conference was threefold -
- to assure everybody it wasn’t merely a handful of local N.S. officers involved with the actual gunman nor who is responsible for conducting and overseeing the RCMP investigation.
- to inform everyone the investigation is neither stalled or concluded, it’s still ongoing.
- to quell some of the media stories, early reports, speculation and rumours which are not all true.

I don’t think the purpose was to update the public midway through the investigation. Wouldn’t it be preferable the investigation of entire horrid saga is completed, rather than releasing bits and pieces - because that’s what gives rise to further speculation of the yet unknown. JMO

One thing that surprised me is the possibility others knew of his plan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...-mass-shooting-investigation-june-4-1.5588433
“Even though the gunman is dead, Campbell said the RCMP investigation must meet the same standards as if the case were headed to court.

In addition to figuring out the gunman's activities before the killings, police are still trying to determine whether or not anybody knew about his plan.”

You’re right, it’s not. Is it possible for a psychopath to be mentally ill as well, I don’t know. However all psychopaths are not murderers.
Maybe he was a free spirited kind of psychopath; the let it all hang out kind that don’t mind being who they are?

I hope everyone here following this tragedy has time to watch this.

Noticing some of the media reports, the entire lengthy PC has been selectively edited and substantially condensed into only a few short paragraphs.

IMO the comment that “he had not pulled over vehicles“ [discussed at 1:22:55 of the PC] is that he did not physically indicate that they should pull over. In the case of Heather O’Brien the closest I can find to what happened to one member of the VON was her daughter’s account of a cell phone call a friend was having with her mom when she was shot and killed:

“While Dobson was waiting for her mom [to arrive for a visit], Mary called with terrible news.

“Mary called and said she was on the phone with Mom. And her words to me were that Mom was coming down Plains Road when she was talking to her on the phone and she said to her, ‘I hear gunshots, Mary.’ And Mom said, ‘I’m almost to Lancaster (Crescent).’ Mom had said to her, ‘It’s OK, Mary, the RCMP are here’. And the next thing Mary heard was Mom scream.”

Heather O’Brien was murdered in the Nova Scotia shooting. It took the RCMP seven hours to tell her family. - Macleans.ca

IMO he may not have pulled her over but she was confident that she was safe from the gunshots she heard because the RCMP cruiser was present to protect her and she had no need to be defensive and that put her directly in the line of fire. IMO for the family’s sake, as was said in the PC, there’s no need to release the gruesome details to the public.

Yes, if they were not "pulled over" they must have just been shot while still in motion. He did mention "eyewitnesses at the scene" did not describe cars being pulled over. I had thought until now it was a secluded section of road and had no idea there were witnesses. Not sure how I missed that detail.

Swatting incidents are becoming all too common but this one which occurred less than a week after the gunman’s killing spree involves a special kind of diabolical evilness IMO.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rcmp-ns-murders-public-reaction-to-police-1.5598283
“After the mass killing of April 18-19, some Nova Scotians expressed fear about encountering the RCMP, afraid the same thing might happen to them.

This fear was top of mind for a Lake Echo, N.S., woman on the evening of April 24. It was around 11 p.m. AT when she looked out her front door and saw RCMP officers and members of the Halifax Regional Police emergency response team with their guns pointed at her.

"I was very hesitant about going to the front door after what had happened [in Portapique], so once I saw a man in a police uniform, I lost my mind," said the homeowner, whom CBC News is not naming because of safety concerns.

The woman was a victim of a swatting incident, which involves falsely reporting a serious incident in the hopes it draws a response that includes heavily armed tactical squads like a SWAT team.

The police were responding to a fake call reporting a shooting at the residence......”

You know what’s crazy is I saw an interview with the couple who didn’t answer the door and went and called 911. I saw it on the Sunday morning when all this was hitting the media. The interview has been pulled though likely at the request of RCMP I guess. I can’t remember their names either. They were so freaking lucky he didn’t shoot his way in.

You know what’s crazy is I saw an interview with the couple who didn’t answer the door and went and called 911. I saw it on the Sunday morning when all this was hitting the media. The interview has been pulled though likely at the request of RCMP I guess. I can’t remember their names either. They were so freaking lucky he didn’t shoot his way in.

Yes, very lucky....what a terrifying experience. I think this was the same couple who hid in their basement and said it seemed as if GW was trying to kick in the door.

In a statement to RCMP, an acquaintance who first met the gunman eight years ago noted that they called 911 when they learned on the morning of April 19 that Wortman was wanted by police. About 10 to 15 minutes later, a marked police car showed up in the acquaintance's driveway in Glenholme, N.S. It was Wortman, and they called 911 again.

Much of the statement is redacted but it says the witness said they could hear a helicopter nearby and eventually heard their doorbell ring and they thought Wortman entered the house. Then they heard banging on the glass and someone said, "Come out with your hands up, Gabriel, come out with your hands up."

They then got a call saying Wortman had moved on toward the community of Lower Onslow and that they should remain inside....”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-killing-nova-scotia-search-warrant-1.5575059

Yes, very lucky....what a terrifying experience. I think this was the same couple who hid in their basement and said it seemed as if GW was trying to kick in the door.

In a statement to RCMP, an acquaintance who first met the gunman eight years ago noted that they called 911 when they learned on the morning of April 19 that Wortman was wanted by police. About 10 to 15 minutes later, a marked police car showed up in the acquaintance's driveway in Glenholme, N.S. It was Wortman, and they called 911 again.

Much of the statement is redacted but it says the witness said they could hear a helicopter nearby and eventually heard their doorbell ring and they thought Wortman entered the house. Then they heard banging on the glass and someone said, "Come out with your hands up, Gabriel, come out with your hands up."

They then got a call saying Wortman had moved on toward the community of Lower Onslow and that they should remain inside....”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-killing-nova-scotia-search-warrant-1.5575059

yes it was. I just remember waking up Sun morning and I always turn my radio on and as I was headed upstairs I heard mention of a Halifax shooting. Forgot about it until a police friend on Facebook posted a tribute to Heidi. I’m in Ottawa ... it was a huge shock to discover what happened .

Yes, if they were not "pulled over" they must have just been shot while still in motion. He did mention "eyewitnesses at the scene" did not describe cars being pulled over. I had thought until now it was a secluded section of road and had no idea there were witnesses. Not sure how I missed that detail.
Both women were on their phones (or in the case of the first one, perhaps on her phone, or at least just off the phone with her husband). Another VON has stated (in a media article I don't have at hand) that they regularly receive updates and changes to the order of their visits, etc., via cell phone during the day. I had noticed that the women seemed to be driving and talking on their cells. But, given what police said in the press conference, I am now of the view that they had each pulled over themselves and were (or had been in the prior moment or two) talking on their phones. IMO, he likely came along side and shot in the same way he did when he wounded the fellow in Portapique who escaped, and a short time after the women, attempted to murder Constable Morrison, who escaped.

That makes sense. A family member has homecare nursing and the nurses are always on their phones updating their schedule, advising clients they are their way to the next visit etc. I know people cannot answer this, but I will ask......"why???" Why not just keep driving to make a "getaway"? Was he worried they would report they had seen him driving along that road, in that direction at that point in time?

That makes sense. A family member has homecare nursing and the nurses are always on their phones updating their schedule, advising clients they are their way to the next visit etc. I know people cannot answer this, but I will ask......"why???" Why not just keep driving to make a "getaway"? Was he worried they would report they had seen him driving along that road, in that direction at that point in time?

Why? Because he could. A man like that needs no reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back