CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"Sources say Griffon, who was friendly with Wortman, was working at a print shop and that he printed the decals without the permission of the business owner. Another law enforcement source says Wortman and Griffon were part of a group of drinking buddies in the Portapique area."

So Griffon is the one who did the decals for GW. Was he aware of any plans GW might have had or was he just another person GW manipulated to get something he wanted?

Back to the lack of RCMP follow up on complaints about guns and domestic violence: "An RCMP officer, speaking off the record because the officer is not authorized to discuss the case, said this week that the RCMP’s inaction on the complaint from Forbes seems odd.

“There’s zero tolerance, if we get called in to a domestic, somebody’s got to go, if there’s enough evidence,” the officer said. “It’s a simple 487, a search warrant to go get those guns. I would have wrote it off the statement from the two military people.”

All we can do is guess. So here’s mine - I don’t think he ever intended to be captured or killed and the money was stashed somewhere so he could start a new life under a false identity. Even wilder but true, iirc there was a murder case in Washington state, the killer took over the victims identity, hid the body from discovery, moved to BC and began impersonating the deceased victim. Because the killer resembled the victim, he was easily able to renew photo ID.

ETA -
Theory #2 - It was about his irrational paranoia. A banker-friend mentioned earlier during COVID-19 a few of the branch customers insisted on withdrawing all their money, 1000s of dollars in cash, because they were certain the pandemic was going to result in a worldwide catastrophe which would cause all the banks to fail. Apparently this was a “fact” being circulated somewhere online. If so, the cash was burnt in the house that went up in flames.

JMO

Last edited:
“There’s zero tolerance, if we get called in to a domestic, somebody’s got to go, if there’s enough evidence,” the officer said. “It’s a simple 487, a search warrant to go get those guns. I would have wrote it off the statement from the two military people.”

During the last PC I thought the RCMP claimed they successfully traced the origin the guns and they were accumulated recently, after the 2011 complaint? Did he have guns back then or is it being assumed he did? The common law wife is the one person who would know.

I think some of the theories are possible but in no way am I considering Wortman a victim. The more I read the more I see just what a miserable piece of *advertiser censored* this man was. Had he lived during WW2 and been born in Germany I could see him being a member of the SS and relishing every atrocity.

During the last PC I thought the RCMP claimed they successfully traced the origin the guns and they were accumulated recently, after the 2011 complaint? Did he have guns back then or is it being assumed he did? The common law wife is the one person who would know.

The issue is that the RCMP did not follow up on the complaints. According to witnesses, he did have restricted weapons. I'm sure the GF filled them in on everything she knew.

All we can do is guess. So here’s mine - I don’t think he ever intended to be captured or killed and the money was stashed somewhere so he could start a new life under a false identity. Even wilder but true, iirc there was a murder case in Washington state, the killer took over the victims identity, hid the body from discovery, moved to BC and began impersonating the deceased victim. Because the killer resembled the victim, he was easily able to renew photo ID.

ETA -
Theory #2 - It was about his irrational paranoia. A banker-friend mentioned earlier during COVID-19 a few of the branch customers insisted on withdrawing all their money, 1000s of dollars in cash, because they were certain the pandemic was going to result in a worldwide catastrophe which would cause all the banks to fail. Apparently this was a “fact” being circulated somewhere online. If so, the cash was burnt in the house that went up in flames.

JMO

Whatever theory or combination of theories is correct, I'm sure it's as irrational as his paranoia.

The article implies most of the cash was recovered and is part of the estate. In my layperson opinion, GW fits the profile of someone who would get a little bit of COVID paranoia so that may be the reason for the withdrawal.

Maybe he was an informant, but I just don’t see him having much information to trade.
I also don’t buy the “nobody radars you on a Saturday night in Nova Scotia”. Cops will ticket speeders when they have nothing better to do, my last ticket was in the country on a Saturday at about 6:30 pm.

The issue is that the RCMP did not follow up on the complaints. According to witnesses, he did have restricted weapons. I'm sure the GF filled them in on everything she knew.

How I read it is if the complaint had been followed up on in 2011 the massacre could’ve been prevented. If so there’s a couple of assumptions involved - the common law wife would’ve agreed to file charges and any weapons were in a location where the RCMP could’ve found them. But even so this is Canada, no way would’ve he received a long prison sentence. People kill others and are out within 10 years. JMO this incident is too far in past history - but if somebody had reported him in recent times and police had followed up it could’ve made a difference. Why nobody did is the burning question considering it appears several people who knew him had good reason to.

I cannot imagine receiving a car returned to me with human remains. As though having your mother murdered was not bad enough. I don't wish to be graphic but imagine "remains" is blood spatter or tissue? That is just so wrong. Also, how can the police leaving casings in there? Should those not have been entered as evidence of who did the murder, matching them to the actual firearms? I cannot imagine receiving a car back in this fashion is accepted as proper procedure.

The fact that the testimony of a shooting victim was not acted on is incredible. In the redacted testimony, the couple saw the fires, called them in and saw the RCMP car in the driveway at one of the fires. This was not a brief glimpse in shadowy light, this was a prolonged look at the car, which later fired at them. How could that be ignored? The victim also identified who he thought it was! Surely that would have lent credibility to his testimony?!

I hate to be a Monday morning quarterback, but these issues need to be addressed. Without clear answers, rumours, crack pot theories, and gossip replace facts. Since this incident was so horrific and widespread, I am quite willing to give a lot of slack to the police who were tasked with making sense of this in "real time". In the cold light of day now, two months removed, surely clarity can be forthcoming?

How I read it is if the complaint had been followed up on in 2011 the massacre could’ve been prevented. If so there’s a couple of assumptions involved - the common law wife would’ve agreed to file charges and any weapons were in a location where the RCMP could’ve found them. But even so this is Canada, no way would’ve he received a long prison sentence. People kill others and are out within 10 years. JMO this incident is too far in past history - but if somebody had reported him in recent times and police had followed up it could’ve made a difference. Why nobody did is the burning question considering it appears several people who knew him had good reason to.

It's not about preventing the massacre. During that time, what was going on with GW so that the RCMP did not follow up? As the off-the-record RCMP noted, the fact that they didn't was odd and not how he would have proceeded.

ETA -

JMO

I think he intended to destroy it so that there would be nothing left for anyone to inherit or sue for. He was destroying everything else.

It's all speculation but do you think he withdrew the money to deny it to anyone else, or did he withdraw it to go off somewhere else, leaving nothing behind for anyone? But, he could disappear with his cash and still burn his homes. Why the murders? Why not just disappear? I would like to know where he was heading in his stolen car on the Sunday morning when he stopped for gas. Could he have been on his way to his disappearance location? Or was he going to do similar things in Halifax?

The other inquiry referred to was ordered in 2013, began in 2015 and the Final Report was issued November, 2019???? Wow, I hope the upcoming announcement includes an expedited procedure.

From your link -
“Furey repeated on Thursday he would like the investigation to take a restorative approach, which is what the province did in 2015 when it looked into allegations of long-term abuse at a former orphanage in the Halifax area.”

So from the Maclean's article it does look like GW was involved with drugs/drug mafia perhaps too? Also could he have been a police informant? If so the RCMP have a lot to answer for. Something still smells fishy about this case. The common law is slinking into the background. Maybe she knows if she "spills the beans" her life is in danger? I don't get the theory that he withdrew all the money maybe because he was going to take on a new identity, he could have done that without killing people. What was his motive for going on this murderous rampage? Hmm will we ever know the whole truth?

So from the Maclean's article it does look like GW was involved with drugs/drug mafia perhaps too? Also could he have been a police informant? If so the RCMP have a lot to answer for. Something still smells fishy about this case. The common law is slinking into the background. Maybe she knows if she "spills the beans" her life is in danger? I don't get the theory that he withdrew all the money maybe because he was going to take on a new identity, he could have done that without killing people. What was his motive for going on this murderous rampage? Hmm will we ever know the whole truth?

If he was a CI, it would explain why no follow ups were done. LE in both Canada and America protect their valued CI. It's a policing issue that most of us know nothing about. It's standard procedure, so I'm not sure what the RCMP need to answer for, other than their statement that there was no relationship between them and GW, if that is indeed false.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back