CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder how the shooter would have turned out had he been given up for adoption, too? Can you imagine the damage, being born and raised into such violent dysfunction, and then to find out 40 years into your life that your parents had never revealed to you that you had a brother? There's no excusing what this guy did - he was the worst of the worst - but it seems like his psychopathy may not have been hard-wired.

One of my brothers pointed this out to me which might mean something.....or nothing, but I missed it completely. In the obit for Sean Mcleod (Sean Andrew Mcleod | Obituaries | The Chronicle Herald) it states he was

Predeceased by his partner, Alanna Jenkins.

It was my understanding they were shot, the house burned and then their neighbour Tom Bagley shot coming to help when he saw flames. It is a minor detail perhaps but how was it determined Alanna Jenkins "predeceased" Sean Mcleod? I had no answer for that detail, and am not sure if, in the absence of updates, this one word has assumed more importance than it needs.

I looked at hers and it did not.......so it does strike me as odd. It does not change what happened, nor answer the question of "why"......

One of my brothers pointed this out to me which might mean something.....or nothing, but I missed it completely. In the obit for Sean Mcleod (Sean Andrew Mcleod | Obituaries | The Chronicle Herald) it states he was

It was my understanding they were shot, the house burned and then their neighbour Tom Bagley shot coming to help when he saw flames. It is a minor detail perhaps but how was it determined Alanna Jenkins "predeceased" Sean Mcleod? I had no answer for that detail, and am not sure if, in the absence of updates, this one word has assumed more importance than it needs.

Quite possible the obits were written by different families so there may not be concordance. If she was younger, provincial legislation may deem her to be the survivor of a simultaneous death but I can’t see that as being the reason for putting it in.

It may well be that they wanted to mention her and that was just the most straightforward way of putting her in.

It's actually an interesting question. I wonder if there were implications in the Wills of the two. ie if Sean had been deemed to have died first, and left whatever to Alanna and his two daughters and granddaughter (?), but if Alanna had died first, would Alanna have left whatever to Sean, but if Sean had predeceased her it would then go to, say, her parents, etc? In any case, from the various obits for both of them, it seems the families of the two victims all got along well together. jmo.

I found this by accident and have posted the link. I don't remember this posted anywhere else, but if so, my apologies for the duplication.

Even in a car, given the distances, it amazes me he did so much so quickly.

It's actually an interesting question. I wonder if there were implications in the Wills of the two. ie if Sean had been deemed to have died first, and left whatever to Alanna and his two daughters and granddaughter (?), but if Alanna had died first, would Alanna have left whatever to Sean, but if Sean had predeceased her it would then go to, say, her parents, etc? In any case, from the various obits for both of them, it seems the families of the two victims all got along well together. jmo.

Almost every will puts a 30 day survival clause on beneficiaries, so it most likely wouldn’t apply.

Almost every will puts a 30 day survival clause on beneficiaries, so it most likely wouldn’t apply.
What do they do in a case like this, if say, the two wills were differing in who their respective estates were left to?

i don’t know the reason for the predeceased description but I know the daughters of Sean were extremely upset at this obituary. I assume it was his parents and I gather there is a large disconnect there. The girls released their own obituary which highlighted his love for his wife and said that was the correct obituary and the other one never had their consent to publish. So I wouldn’t put too much though into that obit.

What do they do in a case like this, if say, the two wills were differing in who their respective estates were left to?

You probate each estate. Spouses would fail as beneficiaries by the survivorship clause.

Determination of joint assets would be based on the provincial legislation governing simultaneous death/survivorship, and possibly a factual determination of who died first.

i don’t know the reason for the predeceased description but I know the daughters of Sean were extremely upset at this obituary. I assume it was his parents and I gather there is a large disconnect there. The girls released their own obituary which highlighted his love for his wife and said that was the correct obituary and the other one never had their consent to publish. So I wouldn’t put too much though into that obit.

I wouldn’t put too much thought into it either. Often a funeral home takes responsibility for publishing obituaries by obtaining brief information from a family member.

This is the joint obit for both Sean & Alanna. It’s beautifully written and obviously straight from the heart.

Sean & Alanna McLeod/Jenkins | Obituaries | The Chronicle Herald

I found this by accident and have posted the link. I don't remember this posted anywhere else, but if so, my apologies for the duplication.

Even in a car, given the distances, it amazes me he did so much so quickly.

I did. But it's a bit misleading. The driver didn't drive into Portapique because it was closed off, didn't go up all the way to Wentworth, and condensed some footage, because rural NS is a huge amount of trees, pastures, barns, it get's boring. I'm from here, and a couple times thought "How did it get so built up there?"

Yeah, he accomplished a lot in those hours, but it wasn't un-doable. He knew the back roads, the short cuts that locals know and use, and considering the cops apparently weren't even looking for him until some point in time in the morning, and because we're in a pandemic where we truly were staying home, staying "safe" (not so much) there would be smooth driving until the cops realized he was driving a Mountie car. While his spouse came out of the woods in the am, based on the amount of mistakes that were made, it's really, really lucky that Constable Morrison managed to get himself shot while going to meet Cost. Heidi Stevenson. Or this maniac would have likely made it back to the city, I'm thinking that was his plan. I honestly think they were still looking in Portapique when he was on his way to Truro.

I don't play a cop even on TV, but I once made it from my home outside of Shubie to MacDonalds in Truro in 14 mins. That's just a normal day's drive out here in the boonies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back