CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No connection to SV, other than Orangeville, but thought I'll post this article in here
UPDATE: Orangeville girl still missing
Public’s assistance sought to find 17-year-old Melosa Carrio

Orangeville police has issued a province-wide alert to all enforcement agencies to keep a lookout. It has also called in its criminal investigations bureau.

When asked if police suspect there is any connection between Carrio’s disappearance and the discovery of female body parts in Mississauga, Kalinski said Orangeville officers are pursuing all leads.
“With any missing person investigation, we’re in contact and communication with all police services across the province,” he said. “So, we look at everything.”
Peel Regional Police are investigating the discovery of four body parts — two hands, one foot and a head — found in the Credit River in Mississauga this week, which officers believe could belong to a woman because of the yellow nail polish on the foot's toenails.
RSBM
read more: http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1485605--update-orangeville-girl-still-missing
ETA link: Canada - Mississauga - Fem Body parts in Credit River - Aug'12

In the video posted above by 2soccermom, I just noticed the recycling blue boxes were all out. AND, I noticed that Sonia's blue box had blood on it.

Did I see that correctly? The blood on SV's blue box?

And further, IF the killing took place in the night just before blue box pick-ups........it's even more brazen, in my opinion. I say that because MY blue box gets picked up at around 8.00am - 8.30am.

What ever happened to the DNA testing LE was doing?

Still.........unsolved! What a shame.:maddening:

Sorry for so many posts in a row, but if I don't do this while it's in my mind.....I'll forget!

OK, about the massive amount of blood the killer must have been covered in after Sonia's murder, I was wondering if he did the following:

- shaved his head and all pubic hair

- killed her whilst stark naked

- somehow, wiped himself off (her towels)

- had a clean set of clothing waiting for him (in his car, in her house somewhere)

- had another set of clothing after disposing of her car and body

- drove his own car home to the wife and family looking fresh as a daisy

Yes, I know it's far out there......BUT, I just read about a case in the UK in which the perp did exactly as I've described. LE finally got him through blood testing men aged 14 - 65.

The killer was a married man who had a job, a car, a house, brothers and sisters, a mother.......and none of these people suspected him!:what:

The police have released a profile:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/12/16/opp-profile-sonia-varaschins-killer/

Wonder what similarities the profile has, assuming the perp is evolving, that it might have with Chun Qi Jiang arrest for the murder/dismemberment of Gua Huang Liu.

He is a construction worker, right age and social problems with a similar age/type for a victim target. LE might want to check out where Gua Huang Liu's killer was when Sonya was murdered. Could be they have the same murderer.

LE is searching, today, the place where Sonia was found:

http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1493446--not-an-update

I'm not sure if this new/return search is from a new tip (as the story below suggests, but it's not clear if the info is recent) or because this provides a good photo opp on the sad 2-year anniversary in a case that seems to have made little progress. I desperately hope the former.

Story By Bill Tremblay.
I've only snipped parts:

Aug 29, 2012 - 6:47 AM
|UPDATE: Police renew search where Sonia Varaschin's body was found

Two years after her murder, no arrests have been made

Two years to the day after Sonia Varaschin went missing — her blood smeared car found abandoned in downtown Orangeville — police will be searching the area where her body was found.

Based on information received from the public, officers will be in the area of Beechgrove Sideroad in Caledon, just east of Orangeville, today (Aug. 29) combing through a wooded area for clues to her unsolved murder.
As the two-year anniversary of Sonia Varaschin’s murder approaches, her killer remains at large.
However, police remain adamant progress continues to move forward in the case.
“Investigations like this are not like television. It’s very complex,” said OPP Det. Insp. Andy Karski, the lead investigator in the case. “It does not get solved in 44 minutes without commercials.”
Since the Orangeville woman’s disappearance, police have interviewed “well over 2,000” people in search of clues.
“In general, the amount that this investigative team has done is just staggering, the detail we’ve gone to,” Karski said.
Evidence found early in the investigation pointed police to a men’s size 10 or 11 Dakota or Wind River brand boot — sold exclusively at Mark’s Work Wearhouse — as a key to the killer’s identity. Karski said the investigative team has looked into “thousands” of similar boot purchases since.

nearly 700 people have provided police with their DNA. Testing of the samples continues at The Centre for Forensic Sciences and private forensic laboratories.
“The testing process is ongoing. The collection of DNA is a very key part of the investigation,” Karski said. “We’re dividing the DNA canvass into various categories based on the relationship to the victim or the geography of the investigation.”
A dedicated hotline for tips in the investigation also remains open and continues to receive calls from the public.
“We are prioritizing (the calls) and follow them up accordingly,” Karski said.“
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation is asked to call the hotline at 519-941-2522, ext. 2211, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

**Press conference at noon today**

Another news story says the search is prompted by "new" info "Police say this search is based on new information received from the public" at rock95.com
http://www.rock95.com/news/NewsDetails/12-08-29/New_Search_Today_In_Varaschin_Murder.aspx

And this is what citytv.com writes at 222004--search-being-conducted-on-2nd-anniversary-of-nurse-s-disappearance:

"A news tip prompted police to return to Beech Grove on Wednesday. Officers will hold a news conference around noon. "

It's a water search:

396303--police-renew-search-for-evidence-on-two-year-anniversary-of-sonia-varaschin-disappearance

"OPP divers will be searching a body of water near where the 42-year-old woman's body was located, hoping to find any clue that will lead them to the killer.

"They will be diving into this body of water to search for some piece of information that has recently been received," said Sergeant Peter Leon.

"Because it is ongoing we can't speak to the specifics," Leon added. "There has been no information received that brought police back into that area."

Those last two statements seem pretty inconsistent, don't they? Unless "no" is a typo for "new"....

Maybe someone who knows something has been pushed by this terrible 2-year anniversary to come forward? I hope this is a break in the case
I'll stop posting now -- but will keep hoping!

LE is not sure WHAT they are looking for, but the search IS based on new info:

from The Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...d-case-of-slain-ontario-woman/article4507401/

Police probe new information in unsolved case of slain Ontario woman

Carys Mills

The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Aug. 29 2012, 12:00 PM EDT

"An underwater police search team was preparing to comb a swamp on Wednesday morning near the rural Ontario area where slain nurse Sonia Varaschin’s body was found almost two years ago.

Police said they were searching the area in Caledon again based on new information during their probe into the unsolved murder, which OPP Sergeant Peter Leon described as a “very active case.”

..... Now police say unspecified new information has taken them back to the scene, in the “vicinity” of where Ms. Varaschin’s remains were found.

“We’re hopeful that if they locate something there, maybe it could be a piece of the puzzle that turns the corner on this investigation,” Sgt. Leon said.

He said he couldn’t specify what the OPP’s Underwater Search and Recovery Unit would be looking for. “It could be anything,” he said. “There could be something that’s been left there or somebody got rid of. It could be some form of evidence.”

The search was expected to begin at about 11:30 a.m. and it was unknown how long it would take."

I cannot find the press conference. We're 'up North' at our summer home and we don't get CP24 here. There was nothing on CBC!

Can someone help? Please?

:tyou:

NSU --
I can't find anything live on the Net or on TV. The search was supposed to start at 11:30 am according to _TG&M_. Nothing on CBC or CTV television so far. I'll post a link if I find something for live or video coverage or other relevant details.

I'm sorry to have so many posts in a row. I'll try to bundle the info -- it's just so hard to be patient and almost impossible not to obsess over this new action, given it is the only glimmer of possibility we have had in over a year.

From 2soccermom's link above:

He said he couldn’t specify what the OPP’s Underwater Search and Recovery Unit would be looking for. “It could be anything,” he said. “There could be something that’s been left there or somebody got rid of. It could be some form of evidence.”

The search was expected to begin at about 11:30 a.m. and it was unknown how long it would take."

Didn't LE search the various waters near Orangeville when Sonia was murdered? :what:

Hey 2soccermom - please don't apologise for posting so much info. I did the same thing the other day! We're all just soooooooo crazed/anxious for this crime to be solved!

Posting is good; doing nothing isn't so good!! :)

In reviewing some of the older posts, and specifically that there was no forced entry into Sonia's home, a couple of things spring to mind. Sonia had just bought the home which was listed in May 2010. Did she have the locks changed? If not, then previous owners and realtors would have keys to the house. If she DID have the locks changed, then she may have hired a locksmith.

Also thinking of Sonia having changed the dosage of meds without a doctor's orders, did that action possibly contribute to a patient's deterioration or death, resulting in an angry loved one seeking revenge?

No answers, just questions. I truly hope today's search turns up something meaningful that can lead to justice for Sonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966