CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with you Matou -- but I'm not sure if the two are necessarily mutually exclusive: it's perhaps at least possible she could have been removed and kept for days while deceased. I don't think I ascribe to that theory, but OTH I don't think this possibility has (to my knowledge) ever been discussed on any of Sonia's threads. I'm not sure what it might give us in trying to find justice for Sonia (other than perhaps another layer to perp's motive and psyche) -- it's actually hard to contemplate. But the FBI involvement, while reasonably explained in terms of Sonia's low-risk lifestyle and the fact that resources were available "nearby," has nevertheless struck many of us as odd.

Did Sonia's garage have an inside access door, or did you have to open the large garage door to get into the garage?

In a Star article, it says - "Police tracking dogs are taking part in a grid search that includes a rough swampy area outside town"

Does anyone know where that was?

Was that the recovery area? ? If so, that would be telling.

Fwiw, Sonia Varaschin went to Cardinal Leger High School, Brampton 1983-1986

And

Holy Family Elementary School

Assuming the chain of events is murder at Sonia's house > Dump body at Side Rd. > Dump car back in town

Then we KNOW -

1. There was NOT a 2nd chase vehicle

2. The perp needed to get back to town to either WALK home OR pick his own vehicle up

Otherwise - why not leave Sonia's car out on another side road somewhere, where it would not be discovered quickly.

But backing it up further. ..WHY bother removing her body from her house at all?

Was she alive?

If the reports are accurate and there was a fight and yelling and screaming and tires squealing at 3 am ....it's all a pretty tight timeline

What was the green pot/cup thing and rag photographed outside Sonia's home.

Why did it take 6 days to discover her body?

Why did they need 3 days and an autopsy to confirm identity? The articles indicate she was not recognizable.

Did Sonia get in an argument with someone that she had invited to her house?

In fact, her life was full of conflict in the days leading up to her murder, her mother says.

When reached by a reporter Saturday night, hospital spokesperson Tammy LaRue said she wasn’t aware of any disputes between Sonia and any member of the hospital staff. She said she would have to consult with human resources to verify those claims.

LaRue did say that Sonia “wasn’t under any disciplinary action. She left on her own terms.”

BUT: “She would come home crying every night,” Michele says. “She felt she was being treated like a criminal. She couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted to hire a lawyer, but she refused.”
-.-.-.-
In addition, there was an alleged conflict between the hospital and the Workers’ Safety and Insurance Board over disability pay Sonia was due after taking time off to heal a shoulder injury suffered on the job, Michele says.

In fact, Michele says, a key meeting was called for that Monday, Aug. 30, within hours of her daughter’s murder, to decide who was responsible for making that payment.

Michele says things quickly got resolved when police paid a visit to the hospital. (Surprise!)

I wonder again if there are connections .... Did someone want to appeal to her conscience not to open up about a certain fact? Hopefully LE have investigated thoroughly enough ...

(serial killer CH or not :( )

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2...-s-final-days-filled-with-strife-mother-says/

Why would police become involved in a Workman's Compensation issue?

Good question, and re- reading about how SV called the police several times to make complaints about noise, wondering now, if maybe SV called LE for a variety of relatively minor things.
May 21 2011
By Curtis Rush Police Reporter

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...chin_murder_probe_set_to_enter_new_phase.html

The Star has learned that parts of the new phase in the investigation will lead back to Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, where some of the alleged conflict took place.

While employed as a nurse there, Sonia had a confrontation with a supervisor over Sonia’s decision to change a dosage that was prescribed for a patient, her mother says.
The supervisor, Michele says, challenged why Sonia had changed the doctor’s orders without authorization and created tension in the workplace.
“She would come home crying every night,” Michele says. “She felt she was being treated like a criminal. She couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted to hire a lawyer, but she refused.”
Sonia quit the hospital and had been working happily for a month or so in Mississauga at the time of her murder, her mother says.
In addition, there was an alleged conflict between the hospital and the Workers’ Safety and Insurance Board over disability pay Sonia was due after taking time off to heal a shoulder injury suffered on the job, Michele says.
In fact, Michele says, a key meeting was called for that Monday, Aug. 30, within hours of her daughter’s murder, to decide who was responsible for making that payment.
Michele says things quickly got resolved when police paid a visit to the hospital.
“The cheque came by courier very fast,” Michele says, adding that Southlake Regional Hospital had paid up.
The Star could not independently confirm Michele’s claims, but police are aware of them.

Ending violence
against women
News that the nursing community
lost another colleague to a
violent incident rang all too
familiar for Ontario RNs, NPs
and nursing students. Nathalie
Warmerdam, a 48-year-old
mother of two and RNAO
member from Eganville, was
shot and killed in September.
The accused is her former
boyfriend. Warmerdam joins
Windsor’s Lori Dupont,
Toronto’s Zahra Abdille, and
Orangeville’s Sonia Varaschin
as yet another nurse to lose
their life to violence against
women. RNAO hopes that by
identifying
violence
and abuse
early on,
these
tragedies
can be
avoided.
The Woman Abuse: Screening,
Identification and Initial
Response best practice guideline
advises health-care providers
on how to screen for abuse,
and what can be done to
help. Find out more at
RNAO.ca/bpg/guidelines

http://rnao.ca/sites/rnao-ca/files/RNJ-Jan-Feb-16.pdf

The way I read that is a key meeting was hastily scheduled the day that the hospital learned of Sonia's disappearance and blood stained car being found, police paid a visit to the hospital some time shortly after that as part of the investigation, and the issue about her claim was promptly settled and paid out to her estate when they learned of her murder?

MOO

Shortly after Sonia's murder a break in and a vicious assault took place not far from Orangeville. I can't remember the woman's name but I do remember that she was an artist and she was attacked in her studio which was in her house. She was severely beaten and at the time, I wondered if a Serial Killer could be at work. This woman survived and as far as I am aware no one was ever arrested for this attack.

I can't shake the feeling that the two are connected. MOO

Maybe "wayyy off" but I like to ask something :blushing: :

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/c...d-with-claremont-murders-20161223-gth517.html

The man accused of being the Claremont serial killer, Bradley Robert Edwards, appeared in a Perth court on Friday morning charged with murder, abduction and sexual assault.

He was arrested on Thursday and charged overnight with the abduction and murders of Jane Rimmer, 23, and Ciara Glennon, 27, in 1996 and 1997.

He has also been charged with the rape of a 17-year-old girl in Claremont in 1995, and the indecent assault of an 18-year-old woman in a Huntingdale home in 1988.

He was charged overnight with sex crimes that are alleged to have occurred over a nine-year period.

-.-.-.-

Please look at BRE's pic and also look at a pic of IR below:

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/10/07/slain_nurse_remembered_for_1000watt_smile.html

I would like to know if there would be the opportunity of BRE and IR being the same man, living with aliases and in different countries. BRE's profession is named as an electrical engineer (maybe Telstra, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto Iron Ore). I don't know about IR what his profession was/is. IR went back to UK after Sonia's murder.

I'm not especially good at this kind of visual recognition but fwiw, FG, I'd say the two men DO look similar. While I'd guess it's a really long shot, it wouldn't be the most illogical thing for a SK from Australia to hide out in an Ontario town. I expect LE down under are mapping BRE's travels over the last years while he's in custody, but it may still be worth sending in a tip to Crimestoppers. I think you can do that by email if you're actually IN Germany ;)
Let us know what happens!
Thanks for continued active sleuthing on Sonia's thread!

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...adian-cold-cases-of-violent-crime-u-s-experts

As he read over the case file of Morrisseau, a 27-year-old mother of three who was found 10 years ago at the entrance to Gatineau park, Harmon was instantly reminded of the case of Sonia Varaschin. The slaying of the Orangeville woman in August 2010 remains unsolved in a case, like Morrisseau’s, where it is believed investigators recovered DNA from a suspect that has yet to turn up a positive match in Canada’s databank.

Harmon lobbied reporters covering that case – through all those grim anniversaries of her death – to explore an alternative method of DNA matching called familial searching (FS) which, Harmon acknowledges, often gets tagged with the “controversial” adjective when it’s reported.

Familial searching, as Harmon describes it, is a two-phase process to develop investigative leads to potentially identify close biological relatives of the source of a DNA sample that carries an unknown forensic profile...

“Familial searching isn’t the proof, it’s the means to find that person.”

I'm not especially good at this kind of visual recognition but fwiw, FG, I'd say the two men DO look similar. While I'd guess it's a really long shot, it wouldn't be the most illogical thing for a SK from Australia to hide out in an Ontario town. I expect LE down under are mapping BRE's travels over the last years while he's in custody, but it may still be worth sending in a tip to Crimestoppers. I think you can do that by email if you're actually IN Germany ;)
Let us know what happens!
Thanks for continued active sleuthing on Sonia's thread!

Crimestoppers may think: Oh, a crazy woman from Germany - no, thanks! ;) Seems I have to wait (impatiently) watching the CSK-thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro