CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to believe that this case has yet to be resolved. I have my own theories on some of the evidence from this crime. For instance, Sonia's vehicle was found parked with all of the doors open along with the trunk. In my opinion, this was done on purpose to actually draw attention to this vehicle. The perp wanted this vehicle found and reported in the media. There is some significance to this location for the perp. The same goes for the location where her body was found. There is significance to this location and this is why she was removed from her home. This killer is organized and had a purpose for committing this crime. He's sending a message to someone/a warning for knowledge they may have on him. Somebody knows more!

I hope you're right, Julia36, that someone knows something -- if so, they MUST come forward! It has been such an agonizing long time waiting for answers. But just as a little fyi (for you to consider or not as you please): some of the original statements from eyewitnesses (on Sonia's thread here) have indicated that the images (and any reports) of the car with all the doors and trunk open are not accurate to the scene prior to LE intervention. There has been a lot of discussion re: the doors and trunk being open only as a result of investigation after LE's arrival. I know I myself thought (and wrote here) a lot about the idea of open doors as a strategy to degrade evidence but I have chosen now instead to believe posters here about how the original scene appeared. Perhaps it doesn't matter much; I don't know.
But like you, I still see the perp as someone who doesn't really fit the young-and-on-drugs profile LE has given. I'm not sure if I do or do not believe the crime was premeditated, but I think there was some strategy and precision (for want of better words) attendant on this brutality. I keep thinking that taking Sonia's car was less a risk as LE identifies than a calculated decision. As I have said before: he would be covered in blood and highly noticeable walking in the street at that hour IF by chance anyone should see him. In a car, he's protected, and moving by much more quickly.... Think of the different details for a sketch a person could give if they saw someone walking, as opposed to in a vehicle....
But anyway. HOW can we not have more progress in the case by now? I hope LE has more than they're letting on to us.

I agree, FG and dotr --
it would be good to have some sophisticated technology here to assist, even if it is not yet well-perfected.
So much time is passing, and still no answers for Sonia's family and friends.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/02/04/orangeville_police_under_fire.html

Orangeville police under fire

The local newspaper, The Orangeville Banner, recently ran a poll, in which 91 per cent of 2,350 respondents supported the local police force being replaced by the Ontario Provincial Police.

Cliche and other critics have drawn up a laundry list of complaints, besides a call for answers into Sprague’s death.

Those complaints include:

•the unsolved murder of nurse Sonia Varaschin in her home last summer. Her family reportedly learned key details of the investigation through the media.

•the unsolved assault of photographer Shelley Loder of neighbouring Mono Township in December.

•questions of whether police should have protected resident Heidi Ferguson, who was killed last September by her estranged husband, who then killed himself.

•the failure to search for two missing young women, which pushed their families to find their bodies themselves in November. They had committed suicide.

Rutt and other critics have called for an independent review of the force under the Ontario Civilian Police Commission.
-.-.-.-

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/4057199-rutt-resigns-police-act-charges-dissolved/
Orangeville police Sgt. Curtis Rutt’s day in court is over, but there won’t be a verdict.

Well, we keep being told the case isn't "closed":

“ 'The optimum is to solve it right away but sometimes we don’t,' Glassford said. 'Yes, there are cases out there that have gone unsolved but we never give up on it. They are always open until they are solved.'” (at https://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ng-her-killer/ in 2015).

But I wish LE would give us some indication they are *actively* working on Sonia's case. Have neighbours and former fellow workers been re-interviewed? Have new sets of LE "eyes" been given the case to consider fresh? Have the DNA (if it exists) results been thoroughly reviewed?

I just wish we had some active and specifically-detailed reassurance rather than general placation that Sonia's case is still being actively investigated. Perhaps it's not -- there's a difference between a case still being "open" versus ongoing investigation. I really hope LE is still active on the case. But they certainly don't say that, and more time passes and more crimes accumulate....
Sigh.

Now that so many Orangeville men have been cleared they need to go back to that hospital where her mom said she had problems. Amateur psych element here I think the removal of the body suggests he was trying to treat and save her in a sense Even if she was dead. So a doctor.

Another little alarm bell ....
paying attention to (hopping) countries, alias name (from partner), estimated age

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/swindler-hasnt-repaid-a-penny-1681852

-.-.-.-.-
Until today I don't know what Sonia's IR did for his money.

The age (49) doesn't make sense. This is saying he was married in the early 80s and started a business. I'm confused. The names match up and the places but not sure if it's him (SV's ex).

The age (49) doesn't make sense. This is saying he was married in the early 80s and started a business. I'm confused. The names match up and the places but not sure if it's him (SV's ex).

I agree. The article was written in 2001 and he was 49 at the time. That would mean that the IR in the article would have been 59 years old at the time of SV's death, which I do not believe her boyfriend IR was. IR is not an uncommon name, especially in the UK.

He was also likely the first to be DNA tested and the first to be cleared so I have no doubts that he is not the killer of SV.

MOO

You are right, it doesn't make a sense. I thought his age had been 49 in 2013 (date of update). Always will need you to clear my considerations, thank you! :)

Kamille:
I always have doubts ... :blushing: ... and my logical thinking can't follow all the time.

Well logically speaking, I'm pretty confident that they have a good DNA profile of the person who entered SV's townhome and killed her. So anyone who LE has cleared obviously did not match the DNA that they have. That doesn't necessarily mean they weren't involved in her demise, just that they didn't actually do it. IR was cleared and was able to leave the country and from what I understand he did.

IF they have taken DNA from everyone SV knew or had an issue with in the months leading up to her death and everyone has been cleared, especially all of the young men (and any visiting friends) who were living/renting another townhouse unit and whom SV called LE on more than once, then it could very well be a random intruder or a jilted admirer from POF that has not been identified.

I really wish we knew if they have utilized the new DNA tool and have come up with a profile of the killer from that. I suppose even if they have, they are not going to make that public. So far, the killer has obviously been able to keep himself out of the LE registered DNA file.

MOO

Well, we keep being told the case isn't "closed":

“ 'The optimum is to solve it right away but sometimes we don’t,' Glassford said. 'Yes, there are cases out there that have gone unsolved but we never give up on it. They are always open until they are solved.'” (at https://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ng-her-killer/ in 2015).

But I wish LE would give us some indication they are *actively* working on Sonia's case. Have neighbours and former fellow workers been re-interviewed? Have new sets of LE "eyes" been given the case to consider fresh? Have the DNA (if it exists) results been thoroughly reviewed?

I just wish we had some active and specifically-detailed reassurance rather than general placation that Sonia's case is still being actively investigated. Perhaps it's not -- there's a difference between a case still being "open" versus ongoing investigation. I really hope LE is still active on the case. But they certainly don't say that, and more time passes and more crimes accumulate....
Sigh.

Hello, Soccermom! Do you know why Sonia's case appears as "forbidden" on the other thread but Audrey's case does not (only at times)? I'm confused as I'm always a German user. :confused:

hallo back, FromGermany! Do you mean that you sometimes can't access Sonia's (or Audrey's) thread(s)? I'm not sure what the problem could be; I don't seem to have this issue. Might it be that you are accidentally trying to load earlier threads rather than the current pages? Earlier threads are "locked" in the sense that you can't post messages there, and sometimes get "pulled" for review by moderators..... Not sure if anyone else here has ideas or suggestions? You might want to contact a moderator to see if there is a glitch.... I'd hate to miss *any* of your posts, and I'm sure others feel the same way! :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-police-awards-for-bravery-1.3975237

9th February, 2017:

'The definition of heroism'

Norton was one of dozens of police officers and civilians who were honoured for their service and acts of bravery at a Vancouver Police Department ceremony on Thursday.

The attacker, C***b H***on, eventually pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault, unlawful confinement and break and enter in the case. He has a long criminal record, including at least 40 convictions in Ontario.

-.-.-
Reminder: CH had a similarity to the pic of an unknown reddish-haired man in case Sh***ey L., Mono ON.

Almost SEVEN years ago, this woman was brutally murdered and dumped like trash. THREE crime scenes and no arrests. COME ON....START TALKING and CALL CRIMESTOPPERS NOW (it's anonymous!!!!) on whoever it is you are protecting. No more freedom for whoever did this to her.

Almost SEVEN years ago, this woman was brutally murdered and dumped like trash. THREE crime scenes and no arrests. COME ON....START TALKING and CALL CRIMESTOPPERS NOW (it's anonymous!!!!) on whoever it is you are protecting. No more freedom for whoever did this to her.

7 years. UGH. No words.

WG

Wishing the best to Sonia's family during this difficult time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme