Found Deceased Canada - Taliyah Marsman, 5, & Sara Baillie, 34, Calgary, 11 July 2016 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't figure out why, if Sara was his initial target, would he even take Taliyah out of the house? Why did he not murder her right there and then? It doesn't make sense to me. It makes more sense to me that it was totally about Taliyah. Otherwise it was too risky to take her out in public. I know it's just speculation, but it's bothering me.

I just can't figure out why, if Sara was his initial target, would he even take Taliyah out of the house? Why did he not murder her right there and then? It doesn't make sense to me. It makes more sense to me that it was totally about Taliyah. Otherwise it was too risky to take her out in public. I know it's just speculation, but it's bothering me.

ITA. The facts that we know so far show me that this was about Taliyah and that he likely sexually assaulted her. JMO

Agreed.

This is on my mind too. I can think of only one reason to take her from the home after her mother's murder.
And I don't want to think about that reason.

So are we to believe that Taliyah was dropped in the middle of a prairie laneway, uncovered and on the ground?

Could have been to buy more time? "Possibly" trying to figure out what to do if she wasn't the intended target?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

ITA. The facts that we know so far show me that this was about Taliyah and that he likely sexually assaulted her. JMO

I agree with you & everyone saying the same thing.

I think the police are dangling a carrot: tell us your version of events so that when we present our case to the Media & Crown you can either be (a) Paul Bernardo, or(b) a guy who let things get out of hand, made bad choices and is remorseful.

The police would like a confession & plea, the suspect would like to be anything other than a child rapist & killer (in addition to killing an innocent woman, SB). The only thing he has right now is a chance to control the narrative.

ETA: Nothing above is stated as fact (including whether sexual assault was involved), they are my opinions based on what I believe to have happened.

This article confirms that the arrested man's name is Edward Downey, also going by Simmons. It also suggests that SB was the primary target.
http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/cal...-of-missing-five-year-old-was-found-1.2987945
I am so sad to wake up to this horrific news. My thoughts are with the friends and family of TM and SB.

I've been wondering this for a while now. Did someone hire ED to put a hit on SB, get her out of the picture (ED being an acquaintance/connection from 'back home') and poor little TM ended up a victim too because she's a smart little girl who would have known something, been asking where her Mom is.......killed because she could talk? Given ED's extensive criminal background, might be a guy to go to if you want to get rid of someone. JMO

ETA: the fact that ED is not to have contact with CM, hmmm. Why? Hmmm.

Taking Taliyah makes sense if he didn't expect her to be there. He may have considered not killing her but then decided he didn't have another option. He may have left her uncovered and near a road because some part of him felt guilty and he wanted her to be found.

Downey seems to have multiple kids. I came across an older son while sleuthing him. Around 20. Won't say more, i know we can't look into him.

Unless Downey used a very different name online, I'm inclined to believe he was not active on any social media.

CBC says he has ties to organized crime in nova scotia. Perhaps he was running drugs and prostitution in Calgary for them.

Seems this may end up being gang related in some way. Not sure how Sara ties in.

The no contact order is rather curious. I have only seen it applied between co-accused and in relation to witnesses. Simmonds/Downey/Willis etc seem to be interconnected via their NS connection. It could be possible the CPS is trying to stop messages from being delivered between the two via their family/friend connections. Not saying the Dad was involved, just that ED may possibly try to threaten/torment him through their connections.

The DQ cctv bothers me! Some stills are clear and others are useless. SB knew these people. You would have to own no TV/phone and not leave your house to not know you are being looked for .... ED seems short in his perp walk and so does the man sitting in the DQ.

Is it possible the poilce know its him in the DQ cctv and left it of poor quality on purpose in an attempt to encourage him the female to come forward. Under the guise of them being potentially helpful? Set a small trap so to speak.

I am thinking this because they all lived in the NE. I lived in calgary for 4yrs and although it is a larger city by canadian standards, it is still small town by way of people tending to live the majority of their lives in their quadrant.

I apologize in advance for the poor punctuation/ grammer. Posting from my phone is hard :/

I would think that even for a filthy ****, it would be very hard to murder a sweet little child. Maybe for some reason he didn't originally know what Taliyah would even be in the home (maybe thought was with her Dad?). Maybe he panicked when he realized she was a witness and would definitely 'talk', he planned to just get her out of there and think of a plan from there....if it's true that he was seen with her by a neighbor, walking down the street and TM had a suitcase, maybe TM at that point had no idea what had happened to her Mom (remember, Mom found in a closet), and this guy maybe lied to her, told her that he was taking her to see her Dad and she needed to pack some clothes....and the poor little girl went willingly, believing him that he was taking her to her Dad's...or who knows, if it's true ED lives with a woman and a child, maybe that child and TM were friends and he told her that he was taking her to his house so she could have a sleepover with that child. IMO the fact that TM, from what it sounds like, went willingly with him down the street, with her little suitcase, I don't think she had a clue what had happened to her Mom...for if she had I suspect she'd have been screaming and crying uncontrollably, and resisting going with him. Bottom line I feel he told her big lies to lure her out of the home, she had no reason to mistrust him..............and when the reality of what he'd done to SB hit him he realized that poor little TM would be the person to out him, he couldn't just let her go, couldn't just drop her off somewhere or leave her, he had to get rid of her (sadly). Her relatives at the presser described her as very mature for her age, very smart. I'm sure that she'd have at some point started asking him questions, sensed that something wasn't right, demanded to call her Mom, he'd have declined, she'd have likely gotten scared and became hysterical (understandably).....kids have good instinct when something is not right. I'm sure he was likely giving off nervous vibes, too. I don't feel TM was his intended target at all. I still feel that he was hired to get rid of SB, get her out of the picture, then where would little TM end up?.....but the plan failed, he panicked and felt he had to kill her to protect himself. JMO

Reid Fiest ‏@ReidFiest [video=twitter;754056664781758464]https://twitter.com/ReidFiest/status/754056664781758464[/video] The family of Taliyah Marsman and Sara Baillie issue a statement. #yyc

I've thought about this a lot, and suddenly this theory struck me: maybe he killed Sara accidentally and decided to deflect attention/suspicion from him being a potential boyfriend or close to her by staging it as a stranger child abduction. Perhaps in his mind (and he may have been under duress if Sara's death was a result of a fight/unintended) he may have believed that kidnapping would distract cops from the target being Sara, to a pedophile stranger.

I would think that even for a filthy ****, it would be very hard to murder a sweet little child. Maybe for some reason he didn't originally know what Taliyah would even be in the home (maybe thought was with her Dad?). Maybe he panicked when he realized she was a witness and would definitely 'talk', he planned to just get her out of there and think of a plan from there....if it's true that he was seen with her by a neighbor, walking down the street and TM had a suitcase, maybe TM at that point had no idea what had happened to her Mom (remember, Mom found in a closet), and this guy maybe lied to her, told her that he was taking her to see her Dad and she needed to pack some clothes....and the poor little girl went willingly, believing him that he was taking her to her Dad's...or who knows, if it's true ED lives with a woman and a child, maybe that child and TM were friends and he told her that he was taking her to his house so she could have a sleepover with that child. IMO the fact that TM, from what it sounds like, went willingly with him down the street, with her little suitcase, I don't think she had a clue what had happened to her Mom...for if she had I suspect she'd have been screaming and crying uncontrollably, and resisting going with him. Bottom line I feel he told her big lies to lure her out of the home, she had no reason to mistrust him..............and when the reality of what he'd done to SB hit him he realized that poor little TM would be the person to out him, he couldn't just let her go, couldn't just drop her off somewhere or leave her, he had to get rid of her (sadly). Her relatives at the presser described her as very mature for her age, very smart. I'm sure that she'd have at some point started asking him questions, sensed that something wasn't right, demanded to call her Mom, he'd have declined, she'd have likely gotten scared and became hysterical (understandably).....kids have good instinct when something is not right. I'm sure he was likely giving off nervous vibes, too. I don't feel TM was his intended target at all. I still feel that he was hired to get rid of SB, get her out of the picture, then where would little TM end up?.....but the plan failed, he panicked and felt he had to kill her to protect himself. JMO
I think you're pretty bang on there. During the time the family was expressing their confidence Taliyah was with someone known to her and safe, I was thinking, "well, that person better start singing about where Taliyah is then". The plea to drop her off somewhere.. If she was alive, the first words would have been, I was with ED last and LE would have been on to him but getting rid of TB only makes it worse on him. I can't believe people are naive enough to believe they can get away with murder. He should have dropped her off somewhere safe and turned himself in, in good faith. Pipe dreams, I know. The second he was in custody and not talking, I knew the outcome was bleak, otherwise, he would have been playing his bargaining chip.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I've thought about this a lot, and suddenly this theory struck me: maybe he killed Sara accidentally and decided to deflect attention/suspicion from him being a potential boyfriend or close to her by staging it as a stranger child abduction. Perhaps in his mind (and he may have been under duress if Sara's death was a result of a fight/unintended) he may have believed that kidnapping would distract cops from the target being Sara, to a pedophile stranger.

It could have been accidental but, then again, why park his car down the street and not closer to S's house? It just seems too planned out to be an 'innocent' visit.

It could have been accidental but, then again, why park his car down the street and not closer to S's house? It just seems too planned out to be an 'innocent' visit.

Good point. So assuming that it was intentional, he might still have planned to stage it all as a child abduction to throw suspicions off a potential love interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3