GUILTY Canada - Tess Richey, 22, Toronto, 25 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not trying to be obvious here, but in a post I've read regarding the incident back in the summer time where Kalen was a "good samaritan", for those of you who've read that persons FB post it says "...to see this side of him".

I found that strange.

Sorry if this is not allowed. Mods can delete this if they have to.

Not even sure that we will ever find out, maybe we will, but I wonder what KS's childhood was like? By all accounts, he is considerably YOUNG to have committed a violent crime that doesn't involve a gun.

Most serial killers start young - 17/18/19. Many also strangle their kill. Perhaps he is a serial killer in the making, caught before he could kill again.

BBM

He should get the benefit of doubt right now because he has not been proven guilty.

The original poster put forth an observation which is a valid observation which could be the case. It may not, but it is a theory.

We have no solid information on this young man, we hardly know anything about him. Why is your opinion right and the OP's opinion wrong?

We actually don't even have ALL the information of what happened that night.

I happen to think he's guilty, that's my opinion but maybe he is schizophrenic. How do you know he's not?

Just wanted to throw that out. :)
I'm not saying I'm right and the OP is wrong, and didn't mean to imply that. I just personally don't agree with giving "alleged" perpetrators the benefit of the doubt, unless there's evidence to surmise otherwise. It happens so often in the media and it's upsetting. The portrayal of perpetrators vs. the portrayal of victims. JMO.

With the information we have thus far, which I agree is preliminary, I don't see anything to support a psychotic break. JMO.

Although your right, his lawyers will probably still go with a mental health defence. They dont have much else. Witnesses can identify him as being the last person with Tess. He is on camera going into the alley with Tess and leaving alone. Forensics will be able to conclusively say Tess was strangled by another person. Case closed at that point. The judge can decide anywhere from 10-25 years before he is eligible for parole. His lawyers will try to get in the 10-15 year range by parading out a lot of people saying what a nice guy Kalen usually is and highlight the event in August where he came to another mans aid during an assault. They might try to say the violence of that event affected his mental health in the months following. I doubt he only gets 10 years but 15 is possible. He would only be 36.
I agree, they can try that route. It will be interesting to see what his defense is, come trial.

So are you suggesting that perhaps someone was waiting in that alley, KS brings her to that alley, that person strangles Tess, and KS walks out alone?

My sincere apologies, but I'm just trying to make sense of your statement of ""Forensics will be able to conclusively say Tess was strangled by another person. "
I didnt mean a third person. Sorry if that was worded poorly. Im just saying police dont even need specific forensic evidence proving that it was Kalens hands that did the crime. They already have him on video entering the area with Tess and leaving alone. Thats enough as long as they can prove conclusively that the cause of death is strangualtion. Like Kalen cant say something ridiculous like "she was alive when i left the alley". All im trying to say is this guy is screwed based purely on the evidence we know about. But there is probably a lot more.

Not even sure that we will ever find out, maybe we will, but I wonder what KS's childhood was like? By all accounts, he is considerably YOUNG to have committed a violent crime that doesn't involve a gun. Death by strangulation is a very PERSONAL and sometimes quite a rage filled method of killing someone. "Personal" in that you have to get right up close to someone and strangle them.

I'm gonna guess we will discover quite the dark side of KS. While this was opportunistic, and while I can say he "snapped" in no way does "snapping" allude to describing mental illness FWIW. He could have had anger issues triggered by feeling rejected.

I'm wondering what his home life was like? Was he coddled? Spoiled? Not really paid much attention to? Was he given too much independence? No structure?

So many unanswered questions!
And personal in the sense that, he really wanted to "get it done", so to speak. It takes a lot of force and commitment to strangle someone to death. So upsetting and so unwarranted.

Not trying to be obvious here, but in a post I've read regarding the incident back in the summer time where Kalen was a "good samaritan", for those of you who've read that persons FB post it says "...to see this side of him".

I found that strange.

Interesting. What was his other side?

I didnt mean a third person. Sorry if that was worded poorly. Im just saying police dont even need specific forensic evidence proving that it was Kalens hands that did the crime. They already have him on video entering the area with Tess and leaving alone. Thats enough as long as they can prove conclusively that the cause of death is strangualtion. Like Kalen cant say something ridiculous like "she was alive when i left the alley". All im trying to say is this guy is screwed based purely on the evidence we know about. But there is probably a lot more.
I agree, the circumstantial evidence we already have is compelling enough, and they likely have much more.

I found that strange.

Re post of video with K talking about his role in the attack where he came to a man's aid.
https://globalnews.ca/video/3656265...ttempted-murder-in-attack-on-neighbour-police

And personal in the sense that, he really wanted to "get it done", so to speak. It takes a lot of force and commitment to strangle someone to death. So upsetting and so unwarranted.

Agree!! It takes several minutes to render someone unconscious and effectively killing them via the strangulation method, as opposed to stabbing or shooting someone.

The fact that he used this method, and the fact that it would have taken several minutes to "get it done" (consider his train of thought and what was going through his head while he watched her die!) , and the fact that he walked out of there so casually, reeks of something so sinister.

I seriously hope KS spends every last year of his life in jail. I hope he never sees the light of day.

Poor Tess. This is disgusting.

We have no solid information that this man is schizophrenic but we have a lot of testimonials from people who know him that he stalked women. I know people who actually know him don't matter on Websleuths but I'd put more stock in it than someone suggesting schizophrenia just because he murdered someone, not at all considering the methodical way in which he scrubbed the internet of his presence or the way he tried to get another stranger to follow him around when Tess was found.

On Monday when his mother was getting harassed on FB I was following it closely. In the morning when his name was released, his FB profile was nowhere to be seen. At some point throughout the day when his mother was doing damage control, a FB profile with the name Kalen Schlatter briefly appeared for maybe an hour before disappearing again. Since he was in police custody at that time, it seems someone was also interacting with him on this coordinated effort to remove any ability for anyone to compare photos of him to the security footage.

Speculation, but.

... or the way he tried to get another stranger to follow him around when Tess was found.

Whoa!! What? Do you have a link to this? I don't remember reading anywhere that he tried to get another stranger to follow him around...now I'm REALLY curious!

This is just getting more peculiar by the minute.

... or the way he tried to get another stranger to follow him around when Tess was found.

Whoa!! What? Do you have a link to this? I don't remember reading anywhere that he tried to get another stranger to follow him around...now I'm REALLY curious!

This is just getting more peculiar by the minute.

She tweeted it in December after his pics were released. I've posted about it loads. I'll see if I can link you.

BBM

He should get the benefit of doubt right now because he has not been proven guilty.

The original poster put forth an observation which is a valid observation which could be the case. It may not, but it is a theory.

We have no solid information on this young man, we hardly know anything about him. Why is your opinion right and the OP's opinion wrong?

We actually don't even have ALL the information of what happened that night.

I happen to think he's guilty, that's my opinion but maybe he is schizophrenic. How do you know he's not?

Just wanted to throw that out. :)

I agree. Just because someone else has behaved with cruelty and violence, doesn't mean I have to respond with equally cruel and violent words or actions. I choose to be rational, fair, civilized and compassionate towards others, because those are my values and how I want to live my life.

I'm glad this mystery has been solved, the perp has been arrested, and society will proceed with punishment in a just and humane way, because we like to think we are a just and humane society, not subject to angry lynch mobs, throwing people to starve in dungeons, burning witches, stoning adultresses, and all the other ways violent and inhumane societies handle the problem of crime..

I agree. Just because someone else has behaved with cruelty and violence, doesn't mean I have to respond with equally cruel and violent words or actions. I choose to be rational, fair, civilized and compassionate towards others, because those are my values and how I want to live my life.

I'm glad this mystery has been solved, the perp has been arrested, and society will proceed with punishment in a just and humane way, because we like to think we are a just and humane society, not subject to angry lynch mobs, throwing people to starve in dungeons, burning witches, stoning adultresses, and all the other ways violent and inhumane societies handle the problem of crime..
I agree, and live my life the same way. I don't think anyone here has been cruel or violent in words or actions. It's understandable, and rational, to be appalled and upset by this heinous and arbitrary act of violence.

I agree, and live my life the same way. I don't think anyone here has been cruel or violent in words or actions. It's understandable, and rational, to be appalled and upset by this heinous and arbitrary act of violence.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm explaining what I think is involved if I wish to avoid stooping to the level of criminals, and why our justice system gives, for example, the benefit of the doubt to an accused. It's not something I invented, it's something a lot of wise people have thought about and taught.

Anger is the real destroyer of our good human qualities; an enemy with a weapon cannot destroy these qualities, but anger can. Anger is our real enemy.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm explaining what I think is involved if I wish to avoid stooping to the level of criminals, and why our justice system gives, for example, the benefit of the doubt to an accused. It's not something I invented, it's something a lot of wise people have thought about and taught.

Okay, that's wonderful conceptually but maybe not an entirely appropriate sentiment to throw at people who are still in the midst of processing something that happened very close to home for many of us.

I'm sorry...I missed the posts about how KS 'scrubbed' the internet of his presence. What did he do? Did he delete his social media profiles?
Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
california_girl
Back