Found Deceased Canada - Thelma Krull, 58, Winnipeg MB, 11 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this link to Google Maps works or not. It shows the strip mall where Mr Sub (not Subway is). The restaurant is behind Dairy Queen next to the library. And look there's very little traffic! LOL.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/He...6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xbb7a02fdd956748e!6m1!1e1

Anyhow Google Maps is a great way to get orientated to the city without leaving your computer if you aren't familiar with the area.

Right behind the strip mall with Mr Sub in what my friend call "bungalow land" aka Fraser's Grove.(off Rowandale)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.9377...29I-L8i5ArduNgxYBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hope that helps!
People who live in the town of Winnipeg may have a completely different opinion of a section of a neighborhood than someone else who knows the area better. For example, I looked at the images on the links and compared to where I live, it looks like it could be sketchy and I also wouldn't frequent there to eat. But that's just me, and to each his own.

Actually it's the City of Winnipeg not a town.
I've lived here for 40+ years most of them within a few miles of the Mr Sub shop the Krulls owned. I have never heard it described as anything but middle class. Elmwood which is about 5-6 km south is sketchy on the East side of the highway yes.
The further north you go on Henderson you go the wealthier the homes.

A few blocks west behind the Subway shop is the Red River. Kildonan Drive meanders along it and it has some very valuable real estate.

And yes people's perspectives put a different spin on things BUT as it being low income area that can be defended with housing costs, property values, and other statistics that clearly put it well out of low income territory.

Henderson looks to me very much like the other main arteries in Winnipeg - McPhillips, Ness, Pembina, Grant. All parts of them have areas that look not so nice and are aging communities. Pembina for example is a very sketchy looking street yet has some very nice housing on the east side. Very low income on the west. Perhaps you're not that familiar with our little prairie city.

Here is a link to some more info on the area with some stats. You need to scroll down to the 2010 map.

http://neighbourhoodchange.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/0dd3b054034c20161f95b194a4a9326e.pdf

The shop is located on the southern border of North Kildonan. As you go further south on Henderson Highway you get into some lower income housing. But the shop is almost right on the border of North Kildonan/East Kildonan.

My whole point is bringing this up in the first place is to rectify the misconception that this is low income/high crime area.

I don't think you will find many WPS staff living near there lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This is from 2014:

Winnipeg still violent crime capital of Canada

However, Winnipeg nonetheless remains the violent crime capital of Canada. Despite a 19% drop in the number of violent crimes from the year before, Winnipeg’s violent crime rate led the country at 119.9 incidents per 100,000 people in 2013, despite a 19% decrease from 2012.

And yes, more violent crime can be found in the poorer police districts. Police have targeted both the downtown and North End areas — where police statistics released Tuesday show crime is more prevalent — when designing crime-prevention programs.

“Homicide might be down 19%, which is good, but attempted murder is up 55%,” said Frank Cormier, a University of Manitoba criminology professor. “So, fewer people are dead, which is a good thing, but the number of people who tried to kill is about the same.

“But overall, any time crime is down is a positive.”

Check out the Winnipeg Police Service Crime Stat page. You can see where incidents have been reported.

I don't think you will find many WPS staff living near there lol

Actually Jason Michalysen who is the WPS Public Information Officer (the good looking dude you see almost nightly reading the police reports :) grew up with me in NK and I do believe lives still in the area.

Would WPS officers prefer Windsor Park, Garden City or St James for some bizarre logic? Not really sure I'm understanding your point KMouse. Can you explain why a cop wouldn't want to live in a nice $350,000 house in Fraser's Grove? Heck Premier Gary Doer was my neighbour for many years in Glen Elm! LOL. Police Chief Clunis lived in the Maples which is way lower income/higher crime area than EK (but better than Elmwood).

EK is very comparable to any of those areas including Fort Garry, Westwood, Meadows West, parts of Transcona, Fort Richmond.

Anyhow this has totally got off tangent. No EK is not low income. Yes Winnipeg has one of the highest crime rates in the country unfortunately.

I'm done debating the income/crime levels of North East Winnipeg. If KMouse really does live here she can take a Sunday drive out to lake country this long weekend as Henderson Highway is on the way and see the area for herself. LOL.

Check out the Winnipeg Police Service Crime Stat page. You can see where incidents have been reported.

I have. Since you aren't that familiar with this end of the city ensure you are selecting Rossmere. If you go under the Electoral Wards you have EK lumped in with Elmwood which skews the results.Checked Rossmere A and B for August and there were a few home break ins and attempted car thefts. Is this what you are referring to?
There was also that one stabbing in the Manitoba Housing projects located behind Safeway which is around 2 miles north of the Sub shop. But if you are going to use that as a measuring stick you'll have to say that the murder at the MB Housing projects next to Tuexdo makes Tuxedo a high crime area.

Parts of the city I found skeevy besides the obvious - St James right Polo Park, parts of old St Vital off St Mary's (old scummy homes like near Glenwood CC), tail end of Charleswood with all those side by sides off Barker I think it is?, Windsor Park (Elizabeth area), old Transcona (Hoka, etc- all those old wartime houses bring low income people), anything off Marion, area off Jefferson in the Maples, everything off McGillvrary near Pembina (super creepy area), Weston and Brooklands. Oh and most streets off Cavalier. And Wolseley especially at night.

Enough about this. This is about Thelma.

I was talking about people checking out Crimestat in general. It was not directed at you or about any area in particular. It's a tool that people that do not live here can use.
Not sure why you are taking this on as a personal thing. Please accept that different people have different opinions.

Ok I thought you were directing me to something to do with NE Winnipeg on Crimestat. My apologies.

I guess having someone say that my neighbourhood is some low income crime ridden area got my back up. I just happen to grow up in the area that Thelma lived and worked in which makes this case so personal to me. My Mom is 10 years older than Thelma and walks all those same routes alone all the time.
I know that area like that back of my hand.

But you know you can just say"oh sorry I was thinking it was Elmwood. I don't really know the area" rather than say foolish things like "cops don't live in EK" or "there's traffic". We both got defensive and argumentative. I'm sorry for my part.

Something like this would be great in a bracelet that a person with dementia could wear in case they walk away from their home.
I am sure there probably are products like that but they aren't being used....at least not in Manitoba.

I like this idea a lot! One element should be added, imo. The user should wear a vest which says, "I'm protected by my Companion". One that would go over the head and hang to the mid back and chest areas. Could be plastic or neoprene that would glow in the dark, and fold up easily to carry in a backpack or large purse. Sounds kind of crazy, I know, but so is the entire concept of taking friends with you on a virtual walkalong. And what's more insane than a mugger/rapist/killer assaulting an innocent person? Here's my point: to be fully effective, use of the app should be coupled with a means to ward off attackers, like lawn signs that say a residence is protected by a security system.

JMO

Thanks for all those map links to the area Sedona, I've found them helpful in seeing just what it's like there. Certainly, as its your neighbourhood you'll have a great perception of the area, know the good parts well and also the not so good. Just like we all do in our home town and how there is good and not so good areas in all cities.
The area doesn't look particularly low income to me or particularly high income so I'll go with middle class, just as you describe. Looks just fine to me and I wouldn't feel afraid to go there at night, it's so open, spacious and well lit. Can imagine there's always people about too.
Thanks for sharing your local insight and knowledge of the area.
I've not posted for a while on Thelma's thread but still have a catch up most days.

Just wanted to make it clear that I never said that Thelma's house area was low income.
When I looked at the Mr. Sub page it said that there were two stores...one on Henderson in sketchville and one in a mall. It didn't show the one that the Krull's own.

The sub shop in the sketchier part of Henderson is a Subway. It's in the 200 block on the east side. Mr Sub is waayyyy further north on Henderson.

I actually grew up in North Kildonan just off Henderson about 2 miles north of the Krull's Mr Sub shop. Forty years later my mother stills live there.
As an adult I lived for several years in Glen Elm which is the area bordered by Hespeler, the river, Henderson and Roxy Park. The Subway restaurant opened on Henderson while I was living there. Used to be the Bank of Montreal. The area was okay. Bit of a divide between east and west Henderson there. Glen Elm was a wanna be Wolseley with big old graceful homes while the other side was skeevy and still is.
I was even on the committee at the time to have the area named Glen Elm. The east side didn't like that as they thought we were being snooty.
Gary Doer at the time lived along the river in Glen Elm as did another MLA. He moved to NK before I left the area.

Whenever I think of Thelma I wonder and worry about my mother who still walks and bikes up and down North Kildonan this summer.

It's 4 km/2.5 mile from the Krull's sub shop to their home - straight down Macleod/Grassie. (road name changes at Lag)

Google map link - Subway in Elmwood. This is NOT the Krull's shop. Rougher neighbourhood close to the Disraeli Freeway and Redwood Bridge.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.9138...wpP_fHdjRvsGNs4GZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Also not sure if anyone has posted this yet. This is the park where the glass were found. If you straight ahead on this viewpoint.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.9167...SuiP3Q4ZHuYx0An_Bg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Here is WPS, Constable Eric Hofley’s response to the open discussion on the “Where is Thelma Krull Uncensored” FB Page.

"Unless people are specifically advising of information that might lead us in a wrong direction, then perhaps a public mischief, but for people to put their theories out there and surmise, that's something were not there to police."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/manitoba/story/1.3209889

On the actual business franchise shop page, on the government business pages, on the better business bureau's page, and every other place on the internet except their FB page, it shows Krull as still the owner.
R&T must be Robert and Thelma. For tax purposes they would incorporate. It also shields them from lawsuits.

As far as I can tell, they continue to legally own the business.
I've no idea how it works in the U.S. but in the UK, those official pages that show ownership of business can take months if not just once annually, to be updated with new ownership names.
That's saying every single website that has information about Canadian businesses does not update their pages, including the Sub shop franchise company and government entities. I really have a hard time believing there is not even one professionally monitored site that manages legal business documentation, plus government and tax records information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95