CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am tempted to blame this on random violence, as it seems to be the case. However, as we have discussed, it stops us from critically thinking and analyzing if we do not consider other possiblities.

Judging by what the police have said, and by reading between the lines, it seems that they have no idea who was behind this.

The fact that there has been no link to anyone, and no motive has been found, makes one suspect that there is no connection between killer and victims.

However, the wordless, purposeful way these men were killed would suggest otherwise.

The only other (weak) theories I can come up with are the following.

While researching the Skinner case, I was reading a discussion thread in an online version of a gay lifestyle magazine. One poster commented that he thought the killer of Martin and Ellis and that of Skinner was one in the same, and the killing was a gay-bashing.

Hmm... did someone think Ellis and Martin were gay and kill because of that?

I also recall reading that the friend hosting the NBA party that night was the son of a judge. Did someone try to intimidate the judge by getting to his son? Did the killer mistake Ellis and Martin as the son and a friend?

Woman sexually assaulted by 3 after comments made about her "orientation"... Thinking of Chris S.
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/26720.pdf
bbm.

"The Toronto Police Service is alerting the public to a sexual assault.
It has been reported that:
− on Monday, April 15, 2013, between midnight and 3 a.m., a 48−year−old woman was
walking on Gloucester Street, east of Yonge Street
− she was approached from behind by three men who made derogatory comments to her
regarding her sexual orientation
− the three men forced her to Norman Jewison Park where she was sexually assaulted

The men are described as:
1) white, approximately 30, 6’, medium build, dark−brown curly hair, with a scar on his chin.
He was wearing a dark T−shirt with a Budweiser logo, jeans, and a dark windbreaker.
2) white, approximately 20, 5’9", thin build, and had facial acne. He was wearing a grey/blue
hoodie with a Maple Leaf logo.
3) light−tanned complexion, late 20s, 5’9” to 6’, with a heavy build, and short dark hair. He
was wearing a dark shirt and a jacket.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Phil Campbell or Detective Sergeant
Kim Gross at 416−808−7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416−222−TIPS (8477), online
at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on
Facebook.

I'm playing with stereotypes here, but I agree with the idea that C.S.'s killers were from outside the area, possibly the 905 somewhere.

These guys appear to be rounders from the neighbourhood, IMHO.

Interesting theory, though.

The written descriptions given along with the sketches are pretty lousy. For instance, it seems that the guy in the windbreaker is wearing a jean jacket, when you look at the sketch.

Also, the "dark skinned" or "tanned" man is Asian, at least from the sketch.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/27/50000-reward-in-1973-ont-murder

"
$50,000 reward in 1973 Ont. murder

Sarah Deeth, QMI Agency

First posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 08:13 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, June 27, 2013 08:30 PM EDT"

"PETERBOROUGH, Ont. - Kelly Vaine remembers the day her mother was murdered.

Vaine was 13, the second-oldest of seven siblings.

It was July 1, which, 40 years ago, fell on a Sunday. She woke up and found police officers in her house.

They told her the body of her mother, Karen Woodcock, was found by the side of the road, down the street from their Villiers Line home. They said she had been murdered.

Nobody was ever arrested. No trial, no guilty plea, no sense of justice or closure. Vaine has spent the past 40 years searching for answers, chasing clues that have left her with nothing.
"
“It’s terrible,” she said. “Absolutely terrible.

Wondering if this guy LE are looking for, is anything like the man who attacked LS and her daughter years ago?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/28/suspect-sought-after-woman-daughter-sexually-assaulted

"TORONTO - A 46-year-old man is sought for a frightening sex attack in the upper beaches.

Toronto Police said the attack occurred Thursday at a residence near Coxwell Ave. and Gerrard St. E.

"A man forced his way into the home of a woman in her 20s," Const. Victor Kwong said Friday, explaining the attacker was armed with a knife.

Once inside, he said the man sexually assaulted the woman.
"
"The man then sexually assaulted a young girl in the same home," Kwong said.

http://www.680news.com/2013/07/11/t...spect-in-etobicoke-break-ins-sexual-assaults/

"TORONTO – Toronto police have released a partial composite sketch of a suspect in a series of break-ins and sexual assaults in Etobicoke dating back to September 2012.

Only a partial sketch is available because police say the suspect wears a white cloth or T-shirt that covers his face and head except for his eyes.

Police say the suspect broke into several homes in the Berry Road and Parklawn Road area on July 7 between 12:55 a.m. and 3:30 a.m"

Can you scan a provide a copy of the sketch of the suspect through a scan? And I realize you can't name the 'innocent' but is your suspect someone you knew or someone who committed other crimes? I mean there aren't many cases on WS where someone knows or hopes they know the ID of a murderer so the fact that you have a suspect is a huge thing.

What do you make of all of the slashing of furniture etc. Does that apparently erratic behaviour fit your suspect?

Sorry to respond to your request for help and info with questions but it might get us started. Thanks.

Back in 1999, you wrote about Sarah Jean Carlin, details below. Sarah Carlin is my Grandmother and I remember this horrible day like it was yesterday. They have never found her killer and have long since stopped looking for him. (although in my heart, we know who it was beyond a shadow of a doubt). I'm wondering where you found this information as I have not found any other reference to her murder on the net, not even in the York Police Cold Case files. Any details you can provide me for points of reference on this would be appreciated as all I have is the original Toronto Star notice with the sketch of the "person of interest". Thanks in advance. For the record, she did not have a considerable amount of money in her home, it was in fact less than $2,000.00 and was not taken by her murder. The money was in an envelope, in plain site, in her room. Her killer for some reason, did not find this envelope, despite slashing her furniture and literally tearing her house apart.

●Sarah Jean Carlin, 78, was found beaten and strangled in her apartment in a seniors' highrise complex in Newmarket, 50 km north of Toronto, on Saturday, August 14th, 1976. She may have lain semiconscious for several hours before dying of a heart attack due to a blow to the head. The elderly woman, who was hard of hearing and had limited mobility, was found lying on her bedroom floor with her mattress and bed on top of her. She was last seen Friday afternoon at 5:30 by neighbours. Her apartment had been ransacked. She was known to be distrustful of banks, and may have had a considerable amount of money stashed in her abode. Additional info on this murder is very hard to come by.

Thinking this new facility will shine fresh light on some old cases.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rings_crime_under_a_worldclass_spotlight.html
"
New Ontario forensics facility brings crime under a world-class spotlight"
With a sunlit autopsy facility, first ever ‘extraction room’ and biohazard room, the Toronto centre is ready for murders, accidents and epidemics".

"Deep inside the facility is the new autopsy area, where Pollanen and his team will conduct those exams — not in a dark basement with harsh overhead lighting, like in crime television dramas, but in a massive, sterile room with sunlight pouring in from skylights.

This is actually vastly important, Pollanen explained, to properly examine things like abrasions and bullet wounds, where colour and shape matter and are better seen in natural light"

Post 366 Crimesolvers latest (hopefully not last!) collection of cold cases.

All very tough cases but thanks.

I would like to know if they have any usable DNA in the Mariam Peters case. I know in one article they say her clothes were given to charity but obviously not the ones she was stabbed 16 times in.

There is a very very good chance her attacker left some DNA or her (hopefully) cutting his hands.

I will repeat an earlier long shot remark: when young Mariam lived on Cuffley which joins Keelegate near the restaurant Tedford and Stearne were last seen at. Two years after Wendy and Donna were killed Mariam was killed. They appear like totally different crimes except they both make no sense.

There is a possibility of a link if they were stalked on the TTC. How do we know that Donna and Wendy didn't take a bus from the SitnEat? Which bus would they have taken and how does that cooincide with the lot they were found in?

Was Mariam coming FROM the hospital or going TO the hospital?

The comments I read in the paper in that crime were very much (understandably) about the suffering of her family rather than about solving the crime.

Concerning the murder of David Buller at 1 Spadina Avenue Toronto.

A longshot but I wonder if LE or the civilians investigating the murder have ever considered a link to the murder of Professor Edith Wightman at McMaster University Hamilton. Now at first this doesn't sound promising since that homicide was in 1983 and the murderer received a 25 year sentence with no parole for 15 years. Now, were they paroled and if so when?

1. The perpetrator was a transvestite but a rather crudely formed one often putting blush over their beard etc. They were a fairly common site in Hamilton.

2. According to Max Haines (Book called Canadian Crimes) the culprit "had a particular penchant for university campuses and often roamed the grounds of Brock and other universities."

3. She was killed within a very tight time frame about half an hour or less while working alone in her office at McMaster.

4. Nearby 1 Spadina, just yards away was the Clarke Institute which had programmes in place to help with gender change. The person was convicted as a male not sure of their present gender.

5. I don't name them as I am unsure what the rules are about that and anyway it seems a bit unfair seems they presumably served their time for that crime by now.

6. Some have hypothesized I think with little evidence that gender/sexuality was relevant to Buller's demise. But then again why rule it out.

7. Motive was unclear in the Hamilton murder the woman was chloroformed and gagged choking on the gag and he had removed some of her clothes - was interrupted by a knock - when the visitor left they ran taking the victim's credit cards.

Looking for info about crimes at the university, came across this
Feb. 12 2013 ..

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/02/08/hamilton-adele-komorowski-murder-garrow.html

"CBC Hamilton recently reported on a possible link between the unsolved 1973 murder of McMaster University student Adele Komorowski and New York state serial killer Robert Garrow.
Adele Komorowski, a 26-year-old McMaster student, was murdered on May 15, 1973, and her body left in the woods behind Mac residence Brandon Hall. Her murder hasn't been solved.Adele Komorowski, a 26-year-old McMaster student, was murdered on May 15, 1973, and her body left in the woods behind Mac residence Brandon Hall. Her murder hasn't been solved. (Hamilton Magazine)

The investigators who were in charge of the murder in the ‘70s say they now believe that Garrow is the best suspect they’ve ever had.

“Based on what I’ve read [on CBC Hamilton], I’d say the case is solved,” says retired Hamilton detective Clive Paul. “I’d have to learn more, but it’s the best suspect we’ve seen. The circumstances fit perfectly.”

Komorowski was murdered on the evening of May 15, 1973. She was dragged into the woods behind Brandon Hall, a Mac residence. The 26-year-old was strangled, her body tied with carefully knotted rope.

Two months later, in the Adirondacks in upper New York State, Robert Garrow was the subject of a massive manhunt after a spree of vicious murders involving binding victims with careful knots".

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...-ellis-were-killed-in-toronto-five-years-ago/

Thinking of Dylan Ellis and Oliver Martin today.

5 years ago, still unsolved. R.I.P.

Not that it is connected, but there are some similarities with this very recent case..
bbm.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2013/09/18/21135336.html

"A gunman suddenly appeared and shot through a closed window, striking the victim as he sat in the front passenger seat of the parked car.

There is no indication at this time of any incident or altercation that led to the shooting
, Lioumanis said.

Emergency crews responded to the scene and found the badly injured man suffering from a gunshot wound to his head.

The woman who was sitting next to him in the Honda was not hit by the gunfire.

But her fiancé suffered “life-threatening injuries” and was rushed to hospital in critical condition."

Could the killer of Ellis/Martin be responsible? Good question.

I have wondered if the E/M case was the start of a series of crimes that was
interrupted by the killer's death or imprisonment...or movement to another jurisdiction.

Includes video..

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/8-people-charged-in-4-homicides-2-shootings-dating-back-to-2008-1.1472300

" Toronto police have charged eight people in an ongoing investigation dubbed Project Sugar Horse for four homicides and two shootings in the city that back to 2008.

In a press conference on Thursday, Staff-Insp. Greg McLane of the homicide squad, called the suspects "ruthless" and were actively engaged in criminal activities in Toronto.

"It is the belief of investigators and it is alleged that a number of these homicides and shootings are associated to a group of individuals that were active in the City of Toronto," McLane told reporters.
Photos

McLane said six search warrants were carried out Thursday morning in the "Greater Toronto Area" and eight arrests were made in connection to the shootings and homicides.

Toronto police said the homicide victims were Jermaine Smith, Daniel Davis, and Marvin Engelbrecht, and Delano Coombs"

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/8-people-...s-dating-back-to-2008-1.1472300#ixzz2g22WHtX9

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/09/27/50k-reward-to-be-offered-in-2-historical-sex-assaults/

"A $50,000 reward will be offered for information leading to the arrest of a suspect that police say is responsible for both a 1992 sex assault in Toronto and a 1985 sex assault in Vancouver.

The news conference is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. on Friday at Toronto police headquarters"

Started thread for this one..

1985 sex assault Vancouver dna linked to 1992 sex assault in Toronto - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/27639.pdf

"Man wanted for escaping lawful custody
Steven Gordon Gonyea, 32
Broadcast time:
08:15
Friday, September 27, 2013
52 Division
416-808-5200
The Toronto Police Service is seeking the public's assistance locating a man wanted for
escaping lawful custody.
On Thursday, September 26, 2013, Steven Gordon Gonyea, 32, was appearing at the Ontario
Court of Justice at 444 Yonge Street to answer to charges of Criminal Harassment and
Break-and-Enter.
It is alleged that, between 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m., he escaped from lawful custody.
He is described as white, 6'1", 170 lbs., with short red hair and blue eyes. He was last seen
wearing a blue Adidas jacket with three white stripes on the sleeve and blue jeans"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back