CANADA Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At John Lamont's trial a psychiatrist testified that he was a severe schizophrenic. I'm wondering if teenagers with mental health issues in Thunder Bay were sent to southern Ontario for treatment in the mid 60's. Is it possible that at he was sent to London for treatment sometime before the murders?

At John Lamont's trial a psychiatrist testified that he was a severe schizophrenic. I'm wondering if teenagers with mental health issues in Thunder Bay were sent to southern Ontario for treatment in the mid 60's. Is it possible that at he was sent to London for treatment sometime before the murders?

Lakehead had it's own psychiatric hospital, so I doubt that patients would be transferred to London. That was 1400 kms away.

http://www.sjcg.net/documents/media-advisories/2005/2005-05-05_lph-book-launch.pdf

Thanks Musicaljoke. Do you know if this psychiatric facility was for adults only or would children be sent there as well in the 60's? John Lamont was 20 years old in 1968. Is it possible that as a teenager with severe schizophrenia that he would be sent to southern Ontario for treatment in the mid 60's? Does anyone know if the London CPRI only drew from the local area or were kids sent there from all over Ontario in the 1960's?

you guys may really be on to something here. 2 similar female victims, BOTH STRANGLED WITH THEIR OWN SCARF, no attempt to conceal either body. Followed shortly thereafter by murders of young boys where the bodies were concealed. All of this in Ontario in 1968. That would have to be a pretty big coincidence to not be related. MOO

I'm trying to find out what ever became of John Lamont after he was sent to Penetanguishene, in the hope of finding out if he ever had a connection to London. Its nuts that its so difficult to find information on murderers in Canada who were found not criminally responsible---Does anyone know how to find out if/when he has been released? One thing that is clear is that the surname Lamont has deep roots in the area just west of London---not that it means that they are related to this guy who committed the thunder bay murders, but interesting at this point.

In related news.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/08/23/l...ance-rate-for-homicides-over-past-eight-years
By Dale Carruthers,, August 23, 2017
London police have perfect murder clearance rate in last eight years
It’s been more than eight years since the last unsolved homicide in London.

City police have laid charges in two separate years-old homicides in recent months, bringing some closure to victims’ families and boosting the sense of public safety in neighbourhoods left shaken by the two shootings.

A Western University criminologist believes laying charges in homicides also cuts down on future killings.

“Higher clearance rates are co-related with lower homicides in subsequent years,” said Prof. Mike Arntfield, a former London police officer now specializing in cold-case investigations.

The charges deter possible future offenders while putting potentially violent people behind bars, preventing them from committing future offences and associating with other criminals, Arntfield said.

“When you remove major players, it has a positive effect,” he said
The passage of time can both pose challenges to investigators and benefit them.

“Physical evidence may degrade and be lost. Potential witnesses may move away and finding them may become difficult. In some cases persons with knowledge may pass away and their information is lost to us permanently. Memories may also fade, making the gathering of evidence from witnesses more difficult,” Krygsman wrote, adding scientific advances are constantly being made.

“In London, investigators often review the evidence collected in unsolved homicide cases to explore the possibility that new and improved forensic testing techniques could yield results that can be used to advance investigations.”

Arntfield, who penned a best-selling book on unsolved London-area killings, praised city police for achieving a perfect homicide clearance rate during the past eight years, noting the median rate for solving such crimes in American cities is just 66 per cent and dips as low as 11 per cent in some places.

Now, the most recent unsolved killings in London are the 2009 deaths of Lisa Johnson-Leckie and Anthony Manning.

Leckie’s friends and family have worked, during the years, to keep her story in the headlines, speaking to the media and holding vigils on the anniversary of her death. Investigators have issued near-annual pleas for anyone with information on her death to come forward.

New to this thread and have concentrated my focus on the case of Jacqueline Dunleavy who, as we know, was 16 when she tragically lost her life.I'm just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon an inquest that focussed on the group of males who found her body. I imagine they must have been interviewed by police because they were the ones who "discovered" her body. I have my suspicions about this and their actual involvement but am stonewalling each time I conduct a search on the web (which I imagine is down to the group's average age at the time of investigation). Again, this is all IMO.

New to this thread and have concentrated my focus on the case of Jacqueline Dunleavy who, as we know, was 16 when she tragically lost her life.I'm just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon an inquest that focussed on the group of males who found her body. I imagine they must have been interviewed by police because they were the ones who "discovered" her body. I have my suspicions about this and their actual involvement but am stonewalling each time I conduct a search on the web (which I imagine is down to the group's average age at the time of investigation). Again, this is all IMO.

There did not seem to be a dedicated thread for Jacqueline, started one for information specific to her case which can be cross referenced here with the other unsolved cases.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?349279-Jacqueline-Dunleavy-16-London-Ontario-9-January-1968&p=13624558#post13624558
Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, London, Ontario, 9 January 1968

It's too early in LE's investigation, until autopsy results are in, the OPP wont say if it's male or female. Also, this could turn out to be death by natural causes, or be an old person. (this thread says "young people")

St. Thomas, ON, Skeletal remains in rural property Mar '18

Just in case, I'm cross referencing the thread here because of close proximity to the London area.

It's too early in LE's investigation, until autopsy results are in, the OPP wont say if it's male or female. Also, this could turn out to be death by natural causes, or be an old person. (this thread says "young people")

St. Thomas, ON, Skeletal remains in rural property Mar '18

Just in case, I'm cross referencing the thread here because of close proximity to the London area.

:rose:Los2188 started a thread for Shelley Desrocher.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?299334-Canada-Shelley-Desrochers-41-London-Ont-2-Jan-2016&highlight=Shelley+Desrochers
[h=2]Shelley Desrochers, 41, London, Ont, 2 Jan 2016[/h]

St. Thomas, on, Skeletal Remains in rural property Mar '18

Update:
Discovered Remains Belong to Missing St. Thomas man Kevin Savoie
Wednesday, March 14, 2018

RIP Kevin :rose:

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com...-belong-to-missing-st-thomas-man-kevin-savoie

Scott Leishman, 16, disappeared in March 1968, from a village northeast of London (Thamesford). His body was found in the mouth of a creek, near Lake Erie, southeast of London.

For Scott-50 years this month.

So, Unsolved Canada is officially down. That makes this the best forum for London's unsolved murders online. It's a real shame, because there was extensive research posted, and while the community wasn't currently very active, it was a great resource.

So, Unsolved Canada is officially down. That makes this the best forum for London's unsolved murders online. It's a real shame, because there was extensive research posted, and while the community wasn't currently very active, it was a great resource.

Yes, that's sad.

Incredible discussions and research happened there, not just online, but behind the scenes in the old dusty documents. The families of the victims were actively involved. Dr Michael Arntfield became involved. These cases were in the hearts of many. No one was going to forget.

I want to extend my personal thanks to Unsolved Canada for providing the 'vehicle' to get these cases recognized; just as Websleuths has been so instrumental in so many cases.

Last edited:
Welcome to Ws CultureKit, nice to have you here!

There did not seem to be a dedicated thread for Jacqueline, started one for information specific to her case which can be cross referenced here with the other unsolved cases.
CANADA - Canada - Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, London, Ont, 9 Jan 1968
Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, London, Ontario, 9 January 1968

Jacqueline Dunleavy's father was a policeman with London police service. I think the case was kept fairly quiet over the years. The other young murdured people tended to have families advocating for them in the media.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back