Found Alive Canada - Wanzhen Lu, 22, Kidnapped, Markham, Ontario, 24 Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police gave a media statement today.
They said that what happened is not something that people see in Canada. They said that if it was a kidnapping for ransom, they would have heard something by now.

The van used in the abduction has been found.

My guess is that the victim is no longer alive. I wonder where the thugs came from. What was their description again ... other than the expensive stolen clothing:

Suspect Vehicle: (FOUND)
  • 2008 to 2010 black Dodge Caravan
  • Wheelchair accessible with stickers
  • No front plate
  • Rear plate: CEAR350
  • Plate is stolen
Suspect 1
  • Male
  • wearing a mask
  • blue pants
  • black jacket,
Suspect 2
  • Male
  • dark skin
  • 6’1”
  • Wearing black Canada Goose jacket
Suspect 3
  • Male, dark skin
  • 6’2”
  • heavier build
  • Wearing dark blue jean
  • black jacket
Suspect 4
  • Male
  • Green/yellow jacket with a
  • hood
Contact York Regional Police #5 District Criminal Investigations Bureau immediately
1-866-876-5423, ext. 7541.

If you spot the suspects or the suspect vehicle, do not approach them, call 9-1-1 immediately.

I think it's strange that the plate was stolen, but police are not saying that about the van itself. Does that mean it's connected to one of the suspects?

And why aren't police releasing where the van was located?

Peel Region has a large Asian community in the Square One area so it is possible that the victim had friends or frequented the area. There could be a tie in there. Peel Region is pretty big. It would be interesting to know where the License Plates were stolen from. I'd really like to know where the van was found.

It's concerning that there doesn't seem to be a ransom demand. By this point, you would think that if this was a kidnapping for ransom LE would know. I still think that the motive is money.

The kidnappers may be spooked. This story is the first story on the Toronto and outlying TV stations and has been since the kidnapping occurred. It's big news and LE is very active in the event. The kidnappers may have botched this thing and made this too hot for them and that's not good either.

In the Chinese culture, kidnapping for ransom is common, but it's also kept quiet. It's not splashed all over the TV.

I don't think these guys are pros. They kidnapped their guy in front of a witness and allowed her to call police and provide information. They are all captured on CCTV. One is quite identifiable to anyone who may know him. They tasered him "multiple" times. Who knows, tasering can cause death. It happens. The van was found fairly quickly after the kidnapping. It was identifiable because of the handicapped sticker.

Things are not boding well here. MOO

I think it's strange that the plate was stolen, but police are not saying that about the van itself. Does that mean it's connected to one of the suspects?

And why aren't police releasing where the van was located?
strange indeed. Why would a criminal steal a van and then steal a plate to affix to the stolen van before committing a crime? It only makes sense that the van is indeed connected to the suspects and affixing a stolen plate was their attempt to avoid detection by LE.

Are any of you WebSleuthers on Chinese WeChat? Is there any buzz there about this case amongst the Chinese community? His parents must have arrived here in Canada. Assuming his parents were not detained by border services upon arrival, are they cooperating with LE to help solve this case of their missing son? Has a reward been offered for information?

York police set to provide update on Wanzhen Lu abduction case this morning | CBC News

"York Regional Police are set to give an update on Tuesday morning on their investigation into the abduction of a 22-year-old Chinese international student who remains missing.
So far, no details have been provided on the nature of the update."

Making the news everywhere..
Large photos, video..
Wealthy Chinese student, 22, is tasered and dragged into back of van by armed gang in parking garage | Daily Mail Online

"Police in Ontario say they have arrested one man in connection with the alleged kidnapping of a Chinese citizen studying in Canada, but have yet to track down the missing man."

One arrest in kidnapping of Chinese student in Canada
Arrest made in Markham armed kidnapping, victim not located
York regional police say they have arrested a man, 35, from Toronto in connection with the armed kidnapping of 22-year-old Chinese national Wanzhen Lu.

Lu has not been located and no charges have been laid.

Police are urging the suspects to release Lu unharmed and turn themselves in.

More to come

I didn't think it would take long to identify at least one of the suspects from public tips but where is WL? I hope he's alive and that this was just a very botched kidnapping attempt for money, or a hoax, and that it can all be resolved peacefully A.S.A.P. It is disheartening that he's been missing for over 3 days with no contact or known motive though. Being tasered multiple times and then no contact from the abductors is not a good sign as many of you have indicated. :(

MOO

York Regional Police

UPDATE – ARREST HAS BEEN MADE IN ARMED KIDNAPPING IN MARKHAM

Investigators with the York Regional Police Major Crimes Bureau have made an arrest in the ongoing armed kidnapping investigation, but the victim, 22-year-old Wanzhen LU, has not been located.

In the early morning hours on Tuesday, March 26, 2019, investigators arrested a 35-year-old man from the City of Toronto. This man is believed to be involved in the kidnapping of Wanzhen LU. His name will not be released at this time as he has not been charged as of yet.

York Regional Police is dedicating every available resource to this investigation as we continue to fear for the well-being of Mr. LU. The Homicide and Missing Person Unit is leading the investigation, with additional investigators being brought in from other specialty units, including Organized Crime and Intelligence Services. The investigation is also supported by the Special Services, Emergency Response, Canine, Air Support and the Forensic Identification Units, whose members have been working around the clock since Mr. LU was kidnapped.

With this new development, the suspects are once again urged to release Mr. LU unharmed. We strongly recommend they seek legal counsel and turn themselves in.

On Saturday, March 23, 2019, shortly before 6 p.m., the victim and his friend were in an underground parking garage at a condominium building located at 15 Water Walk Drive, which is in the area of Highway 7 and Birchmount Road. Three men, one of whom was armed with a conductive energy weapon, exited a van and grabbed the victim. The victim was resisting and was shocked by the suspects. The suspects forced the victim into the van and fled.

Suspect 1
• Male, wearing a mask, blue pants, black jacket,
Suspect 2
• Male, dark skin
• 6’1”
• Wearing black Canada Goose jacket
Suspect 3
• Male, dark skin
• 6’2”, heavier build
• Wearing dark blue jeans with a black jacket
Suspect 4
• Male
• Green/yellow jacket with a hood

Anyone with information is asked to contact York Regional Police Major Crimes Bureau immediately at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7865. If you spot the suspects do not approach them, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Praying WL is found safe - there's always hope.

As the female was not abducted, I'm thinking ransom was the intent behind WL's kidnapping. However, as far as we know, no ransom has been demanded.

I'm thinking this abduction may have gone badly wrong.

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether the suspects planned the abduction and did not expect that he would be with his girlfriend. Instead of abandoning the plan, they went through with it and then after the fact realized that they screwed up by leaving a witness.

I've ventured onto another path today.

This is all MOO and supposition at this point and I've only really gone here because Police keep saying that a ransom has not been demanded and they are searching for the motive.

I am beginning to wonder if this might be drug related. There is no doubt in my mind that this whole thing is about money one way, or, the other. With the grandiosity of Mr. Lu's lifestyle (several extremely high end vehicles - over the top really and his extremely expensive clothes), I might be led to consider that Mr. Lu could be involved in the drug trade at a higher level.

Also, I don't believe that the kidnappers are Chinese so I'm persuaded to think outside of the box a bit. What's the connection?

Could our victim have been flouting his wealth in the face of a rival? Did some deal go bad, or was perceived to have gone bad, which resulted in kidnapping WL? Did he need to be taught a lesson or worse?

Other than kidnapping for ransom or, a set up kidnapping for ransom, this is the only other avenue I was compelled to take. In the end, it could just come back to a botched kidnapping.

No matter what, I am still extremely concerned for WL's safety. Let's hope this wraps up today with a happy ending.

ALL MOO and ramblings.

This is great news about one suspect being arrested.

I share hope with others that Wanzhen Lu is still alive and can be found quickly.

Let's hope that the suspect in custody tells where Wanzhen is.

He is loved by his family and my heart is with them during this excruciating time.

Hoping and praying for a good outcome for this young man.

One arrest in kidnapping of Chinese student in Canada, but student still missing

Toronto Man Arrested In Violent Kidnapping Of Chinese Student
"Investigators so far have been baffled as to why this has occurred, Pattenden said. They've heard nothing from the suspects, including ransom or any other demands. Nor do they have a motive.

Those are questions that can be answered once they find Lu in good health, he said.

"Let me make this message very clear to the suspects that are still out there: It's time to release Mr. Lu unharmed and time to seek legal counsel and turn yourself in.Cont. Andy Pattenden, York Regional Police"

Lu's parents have arrived from China, he said, and are "traumatized" by their son's abduction."

"Pattenden would not say whether the man they've arrested is one of the four suspects they are seeking."
rbbm.

I'm wondering whether the suspects planned the abduction and did not expect that he would be with his girlfriend. Instead of abandoning the plan, they went through with it and then after the fact realized that they screwed up by leaving a witness.
If the plan was to abduct WL. The perps knew there were cameras in the underground garage. They knew the kidnapping was going to be 'witnessed' by video recording. That's why they wore clothing to hide their faces. Because of this I don't think the gf factored in to their plan one way or other. They only wanted to abduct WL and expected no resistance from the gf if she were to be there ..... however, if gf had a conceal-carry permit and was packing, then that'd be a major wrench in the perps' plans.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skelyatr
Back