CANADA Canada - Whitney, Ont, WhtMale HC95, 18-29, @ Algonquin Park campsite, Apr'80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe i missed it or just forgot, but the Doe apparently was a murder victim.
July 22, 2017
1980 Algonquin Park cold murder case gets dozens of new leads thanks to social media interest - Muskoka Today

July 22, 2017
''On April 19, 1980, a hiker using the Hardwood Lookout Trail near Whitney, Ontario located human remains. The hiker had taken a shortcut off the trail and found the remains approximately 77 metres from trail marker number five.
A subsequent search of the immediate area located a size 11, Greb-brand boot, a wallet containing no identification, clothing, a black sleeping bag, a camp stove and an aluminum cooking pot. In 1995, another search of the area resulted in more remains being recovered.
Forensic anthropological analysis suggests that the individual was a Caucasian male, aged 18 to 29 years. He had blonde hair varying in length from six to 11 inches, which may have been worn tied back in a ponytail.
His belt showed wear at the 32-inch hole. The cause of death is not known. Information recovered from the scene and a stamp found in the wallet led analysts to determine that his death occurred between July 1, 1971 and Spring of 1978.''
OPPhardwood-map-colour-300x189.jpg

Maybe i missed it or just forgot, but the Doe apparently was a murder victim.
July 22, 2017
1980 Algonquin Park cold murder case gets dozens of new leads thanks to social media interest - Muskoka Today

July 22, 2017
''On April 19, 1980, a hiker using the Hardwood Lookout Trail near Whitney, Ontario located human remains. The hiker had taken a shortcut off the trail and found the remains approximately 77 metres from trail marker number five.
A subsequent search of the immediate area located a size 11, Greb-brand boot, a wallet containing no identification, clothing, a black sleeping bag, a camp stove and an aluminum cooking pot. In 1995, another search of the area resulted in more remains being recovered.
Forensic anthropological analysis suggests that the individual was a Caucasian male, aged 18 to 29 years. He had blonde hair varying in length from six to 11 inches, which may have been worn tied back in a ponytail.
His belt showed wear at the 32-inch hole. The cause of death is not known. Information recovered from the scene and a stamp found in the wallet led analysts to determine that his death occurred between July 1, 1971 and Spring of 1978.''
OPPhardwood-map-colour-300x189.jpg

But the cause of death was unknown....confusing. How did they know it was a homicide. I think the header may not be accurate.

I can't help wondering where he stashed all his stuff while walking. You expect some kind of backpack. Also food items. In the not found backpack?

I'd really like to know how they decided the death was murder. I wondered if he had been released from some prison or jail. There's lots of smaller jails that have been closed over the years in Ontario. His clothing seemed to be current with the fashion trends, though, so that's a long shot.

Looking at his recon....if he was out there hiking, you suspect some facial hair...he looks so clean shaven...could this throw people off? Also wondering if they managed to get at least isotopes in the years past or maybe even DNA to be used for genealogical analyses.

Somehow this John Doe reminds me of Alewijn Sterk, missing from the Netherlands, since 1972, when approx. 21. There is not much in his file. His height would be off (5'7) at least two inches, (according to the police file, but in the article below he is stated to be 6 inches). Alewijn Sterk

alwin-sterk.jpg
upload_2021-1-30_11-19-45.png

An article on him from 2017 Waar is Alwin Sterk? Hij wordt al 45 jaar vermist

EDE - Alwin Sterk would now be 65 years old. However, he has been missing for 45 years. The born Edenaar was last seen on April 24, 1972 in Amsterdam. This week, Sterk is the 'main character' on the Facebook page of Police Netherlands, which draws attention to missing persons.
The police hold the theme month 'Do you miss May?' Especially for missing persons. This month, someone can be seen on Facebook every week who has been missing for a long time. So this time Alwin Sterk.

Sterk is six feet tall and had blond hair in 1972, when he was last seen. He was in the alternative circuit, did voluntary work and lived in Amsterdam. He had registered for the social academy in the capital. A few years ago, his DNA was secured (via a closing edge of an envelope that he had licked). A so-called Yellow Corner (Interpol Yellow Notice??, I don't know what they mean actually) has also been made, an international document for missing persons. Both remedies led to nothing.

Note; Interpol is (for ages now) trying to build an international DNA Database, supposedly filled by members of Interpol. If there was no DNA subtracted from John Doe or if there is and it's not donated to Interpol's database by Canada he would not have been found. So the sentence that nothing was found has to be taken with a critical eye and also dated back to 2017.

@otto Do you know more about this? My feeling is Canada started to fill their nationwide missing and unidentified database quite late?

I submitted the possible/potential match (still very uncertain, because of the distance, but you never know, there are to much similarities to be ignored) between Alewijn "Alwin" Sterk and this UID to the Dutch police. Knowing a bit how they operate I'm confident they will take it seriously.

Now added to the DDP website:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay