Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is freed, I sure hope they keep an eye on him. He will do something else in time.
I'm hopeful he will be convicted of at least some of the charges, if not all.

But even in jail, this guy can be dangerous. He will have a captive audience to spew his ideas, and that is worrisome as some men might be interested in his views toward women.

jmo

I'm hopeful he will be convicted of at least some of the charges, if not all.

But even in jail, this guy can be dangerous. He will have a captive audience to spew his ideas, and that is worrisome as some men might be interested in his views toward women.

jmo

Hopefully if he ends up in jail (fingers crossed), the other inmates will look at him as a joke. A creepy al-qaeda wannabe.

<modsnip - quoted and commented on a deleted post>

Articles released yesterday state that this trial could go on for weeks. That seems excessive. I wonder if this court was recessed today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Gallagher‏Verified account @KGallagherCTV

It’s expected to be Caitlan Coleman’s last day on the witness stand in the Joshua Boyle trial. Her estranged husband is facing 19 criminal charges. I’ll have updates of her testimony throughout the day #BoyleTrial
10:37 AM - 2 Apr 2019

Boyle’s lawyer Lawrence Greenspon presented an e-mail Coleman wrote to her husband’s sister in 2018, “(Joshua) was not a violent person before captivity.” Coleman has testified Boyle was physically abusive at times before they were hostages in Afghanistan/Pakistan.
10:41 AM - 2 Apr 2019

“I was trying to be compassionate to (Heather Boyle), so my wording was not always correct,” Coleman tells Greenspon that Boyle’s physical abuse towards her got worse while they were hostages, but it didn’t start there.
11:06 AM - 2 Apr 2019

Coleman tells Greenspon that Boyle was not subject to “constant” death threats and physical violence in captivity, contrary to other statements she had given. She says it was an exaggeration and “sporadic” is more accurate.
11:10 AM - 2 Apr 2019

As Greenspon questions the accuracy of Coleman’s earlier statements to Police. Coleman calls his tone “intimidating,” and says “it’s kind of triggering to how josh treated me sometimes.”
4:19 PM - 2 Apr 2019

'I just hoped it was over for good,' Coleman testifies at Boyle trial

'I just hoped it was over for good,' Coleman testifies at Boyle trial

Under cross-examination by Boyle’s defence lawyer Lawrence Greenspon, Coleman recalled “a couple incidents” when her estranged husband was physically violent prior to their five years as hostages, which would usually follow a verbal argument.
Coleman, 33, agreed Bolyle was “not an overly violent person before captivity.”

After returning to Ottawa, Coleman said she grew hopeful as the alleged physical abuse stopped for about two weeks.
“When we were in captivity, by the end, Josh was extremely physically violent against me. However, after our release for the first two weeks he ceased to be physically violent or assault me in any way,” Coleman testified.
“During that period I hoped, (and) I was very optimistic the physical violence had ceased because we were no longer in captivity.”

Coleman agreed with Greenspon’s suggestion Boyle was beginning to “mimic” the behaviour he saw in his captors and had “lost sight of the brutality” of their actions.
When Greenspon asked if she attributed his “change for the worse” to his experience in captivity, she replied, “I didn’t give it a lot of thought. I just hoped it was over for good.”

Christie Blatchford: Caitlan Coleman tells defence lawyer his questions are ‘triggering’

Christie Blatchford: Caitlan Coleman tells defence lawyer his questions are 'triggering'

“I’m a little uncomfortable with how this is, it’s a little intimidating, it’s kind of triggering to how Josh treated me sometimes,” Coleman said.

Lawrence Greenspon, Boyle’s lawyer, seemed taken aback, and with good reason.

Greenspon pointed out for the record — and for the judge and spectators, who are in the courtroom proper — that the cross-examination was in fact taking place in the private “child-friendly room” adjacent to the courtroom (all Coleman’s testimony has been from this room, seen in court only via closed-circuit TV) and that he’d deliberately arranged for the female lawyer who is the third on his team to sit closest to Coleman so he wouldn’t be crowding her.

He has been consistently mild and low key, though the questions he’s asked have been necessarily pointed and about difficult subjects.

Trying to find which reporters are covering the trial today.

Here's a list of Tweets from CBC reporter Matthew Kupfer who covered the trial on Monday April 1.

Matthew Kupfer CBC‏ @matthewkupfer
Coleman resuming testimony with Crown questioning. She says Boyle told her she was not to leave the bedroom of their Ottawa apartment without his permission. She says this reminded her of the worst point in their captivity when he would order her to stay in a shower stall.
10:18 AM - 1 Apr 2019

Coleman said the night that Boyle had ordered her to stay in their bedroom, she decided she was going to try to escape.
10:36 AM - 1 Apr 2019

Examination-in-chief of Caitlan Coleman concluded with her describing the night she decided to escape Boyle, which led to the 911 call and his arrest.
11:22 AM - 1 Apr 2019

Lawrence Greenspon, Boyle's defence lawyer, is preparing to start his cross-examination of his client's estranged wife Caitlan Coleman.
11:23 AM - 1 Apr 2019

Greenspon is presenting Coleman with posts from the Star Wars forum where she met Boyle where she would describe herself as angry, anxious. Coleman said as a teenager she had social anxiety, would sometimes present a persona online to appear "edgy."
11:50 AM - 1 Apr 2019

Defence asking Coleman about her mental health symptoms and self-diagnosis in 2007 when she moved back to Pennsylvania after several months in Toronto with Boyle.
2:31 PM - 1 Apr 2019

Defence runs over how in Feb. 2012 that Coleman told her parents she wanted to divorce Boyle. She said relationship, Boyle's mental health were both deteriorating and she didn't see a way to compromise.
2:52 PM - 1 Apr 2019

Around this time, Boyle wanted to travel with Coleman to Central Asia. She said she didn't want to go and doesn't remember if she had promised in some way to go there after they went to Central America, where they got married in 2011.
2:55 PM - 1 Apr 2019

Content Warning: Greenspon is asking Coleman about times when she may have been attempting suicide or having suicidal thoughts, including one time in captivity where Coleman threw a rope over a beam. She said she wanted to die but she didn't want to kill herself.
3:40 PM - 1 Apr 2019

Boyle's violence got worse as captivity wore on, Coleman tells court

Boyle's violence got worse as captivity wore on, Coleman tells court , April 2, 2019

Boyle had violent tendencies before their kidnapping, but he became increasingly abusive towards her, Coleman testified. There was a reprieve of about two weeks after the couple returned to Canada in October 2017, raising her hopes that his behaviour had changed for good.

Instead, she said, trouble started anew and Boyle was arrested on Dec. 31, 2017.

In February, Coleman wrote an email to Boyle's sister, Heather, saying she was "sorry that your brother has deteriorated like this," that he "always had mental health problems, but he was not a violent person before captivity."

That email wasn't entirely true, she said.

"I was trying to outline some of the abuses, but at the same time be compassionate to her. My wording was not necessarily always 100 per cent correct, especially as far as adjectives," she said.

"I exaggerated how good Josh was before captivity and I think I wanted to -- yes, I exaggerated it out of compassion to make him sound a bit more sympathetic to his sister."

So far, unable to find any updates on the trial, can't even find a reporter who has tweeted they are at the courthouse
No word if the trial in on today or if there is a break.

Will keep you all posted

I checked the Court website and it shows that today, April 3, is a continuation of this trial. Court was to resume at 10am according to the site

Last edited:
Caitlan Coleman rejects suggestion she lied about abuse from Joshua Boyle

Caitlan Coleman rejects suggestion she lied about abuse from Joshua Boyle April 3, 2019

During cross-examination today, Greenspon quizzed Coleman about a December 2017 incident in which she says Boyle hit her in the face following an argument in the dining room.

After pressing her for details of the argument, the number of times he struck her and how she reacted, Greenspon suggested the incident did not occur — a conclusion Coleman quickly and flatly rejected.

Defence lawyer suggests Joshua Boyle's wife lied about an alleged assault

Defence lawyer suggests Joshua Boyle's wife lied about an alleged assault April 3, 2019

OTTAWA - A lawyer for Joshua Boyle is suggesting his wife made up a story that he struck her in the face at their Ottawa apartment in the months after the couple were freed from captivity in Afghanistan.

Lawyer Lawrence Greenspon is dissecting Caitlan Coleman's allegations that Boyle repeatedly assaulted her before she fled their home in late 2017.

I still haven't come across any tweets from local reporters and all media articles I have come across so far are the exact same as the 2 I posted above.

Hoping more information is reported with the evening news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/former-hostage-caitlin-coleman-questioned-list-1.5082164

Former hostage Caitlan Coleman questioned about list of rules April 3, 2019

Joshua Boyle's defence team pressed his estranged wife in court Wednesday, questioning whether she had any part in writing a list of rules that she said Boyle made for her follow.
Greenspon was able to confirm Wednesday that Coleman did indeed add one rule to the list, the backyard daily portion, which Coleman explained earlier meant taking the children to play outside.
Greenspon then suggested to Coleman that she also had a list of rules she wanted Boyle to follow, but Coleman said no such list existed, nor did Boyle write a list of her rules for himself, or that a joint list was created.

Earlier in the day, Greenspon questioned Coleman about an alleged assault that took place on Dec. 10, 2017 where she testified that Boyle hit her multiple times in the face.
"With the various uncertainty that we've discussed this morning, Miss. Coleman I'm going to suggest to you that this incident that you describe in the dining room did not occur. What do you say to that?" Greenspon asked.

"I say that you're incorrect, and it did occur," Coleman replied.

"With the various uncertainty that we've discussed this morning, Miss. Coleman I'm going to suggest to you that this incident that you describe in the dining room did not occur. What do you say to that?" Greenspon asked.

Joshua's attorney is essentially gaslighting Caitlan. :mad: If this continues, I hope she confronts it, explains that gaslighting is a form of emotional abuse, and asks if Josh suggested he use this strategy with her.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/former-hostage-caitlin-coleman-questioned-list-1.5082164

Former hostage Caitlan Coleman's cross-examination has been put on hold while lawyers deal with a number of procedural issues that could impact future questioning.

Judge Peter Doody advised Coleman that she can return home to the United States for the time being but invoked a witness exclusion order. Doody said Coleman will be able to continue her cross-examination via video link from the U.S.

There are a few of Josh’s rules that I didn’t read before. Cold showers so her hair will grow? Josh even wanted to control her hair growth. :confused::mad:

• That she sleep nude.

• That she must plan interesting sex minimum twice a week.

• That she log her calorie intake.

• That she take only cold showers to build stamina and self control, and to help her hair grow faster.

• That she fill out a separate daily checklist for heavy exercise, to burn 750 calories a day.

• That she ask for chastising (spanking) every time she thought she had failed.

Josh’s attorney pressured Caitlan to state that SHE made that list of rules.

Former hostage Caitlan Coleman's cross-examination has been put on hold while lawyers deal with a number of procedural issues that could impact future questioning.

Judge Peter Doody advised Coleman that she can return home to the United States for the time being but invoked a witness exclusion order. Doody said Coleman will be able to continue her cross-examination via video link from the U.S.

There are a few of Josh’s rules that I didn’t read before. Cold showers so her hair will grow? Josh even wanted to control her hair growth. :confused::mad:

• That she sleep nude.

• That she must plan interesting sex minimum twice a week.

• That she log her calorie intake.

• That she take only cold showers to build stamina and self control, and to help her hair grow faster.

• That she fill out a separate daily checklist for heavy exercise, to burn 750 calories a day.

• That she ask for chastising (spanking) every time she thought she had failed.

Josh’s attorney pressured Caitlan to state that SHE made that list of rules.
Excuse me, but WTF?

This really is a nightmare. Get this guy outta here.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member