Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyle's actions are not a result of a bad childhood or propensity toward criminal activities, they are most likely influenced by 5 years of psychological torture. I think it has to be taken into consideration that his anti-social behaviour occurred directly after release from captivity.

What you are ignoring is that Boyle's behaviour toward Coleman before they were kidnapped showed every sign of the domineering, coercive person he was. She didn't want to go to Afghanistan, yet he forced her. This has nothing to do with PTSD, but what IMO is a major personality disorder.

And the infanticide reference is irrelevant. Post-partum psychosis is real.

What you are ignoring is that Boyle's behaviour toward Coleman before they were kidnapped showed every sign of the domineering, coercive person he was. She didn't want to go to Afghanistan, yet he forced her. This has nothing to do with PTSD, but what IMO is a major personality disorder.

And the infanticide reference is irrelevant. Post-partum psychosis is real.

PTSD is real. Is Boyle a normal man with PTSD, or dangerous man who was unchanged by 5 years of torture, captivity and PTSD? What will the judge decide?

How did Boyle force Coleman to travel to the Middle East?

Prior to filing charges, Coleman stated that Boyle was never violent before captivity.

"Greenspon questioned Coleman about an email she had sent to Boyle's sister in February 2018 in which Coleman expressed how sorry she was that Boyle had "deteriorated like this," adding that he was never violent before captivity. The email also said that during captivity he was the victim of constant death threats and violence."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-wife-coleman-testimony-april-2-1.5081992

Prior to filing charges, Coleman stated that Boyle was never violent before captivity.

I didn't say he was violent. I said he was coercive and domineering, and that has been said by a number of people who knew him pre-Afghanistan. Coleman was obviously in a great deal of denial until she snapped and filed charges (which is not unusual for battered spouses.)

From the same article: "Coleman told the court she was exaggerating about the frequency of the threats to Boyle out of compassion, to make him sound a bit more sympathetic to his sister.

She said she was also downplaying Boyle's violent behaviour prior to captivity."

I didn't say he was violent. I said he was coercive and domineering, and that has been said by a number of people who knew him pre-Afghanistan. Coleman was obviously in a great deal of denial until she snapped and filed charges (which is not unusual for battered spouses.)

From the same article: "Coleman told the court she was exaggerating about the frequency of the threats to Boyle out of compassion, to make him sound a bit more sympathetic to his sister.

She said she was also downplaying Boyle's violent behaviour prior to captivity."
Textbook for an abuse victim.

I have no doubt that this guy was subjected to horrific things while in captivity, but it seems pretty obvious that he was already radicalized and controlling/abusive prior to the kidnapping.

When I first became involved with the internet, I trolled the IRC channels. Most men on there were just like Joshua Boyle, losers living in relatives basements, working at Walmart overnight, out of shape jerks demanding a slender female who waxed the lady garden for them. No input of what they brought to the situation except a male sexual organ which constantly needed to be worshiped. Online it's entertaining, in RL quite disturbing. I have always thought Joshua is one of these guys, poor Caitlin, IRC is these guys home.

Still can't find any reports from today's hearing not even a tweet from a reporter who was attending trial.

Anyway, came across this article from Oct 2017 that I hadn't seen before

Released from Afghanistan, Joshua Boyle says Breslau was on his mind

Released from Afghanistan, Joshua Boyle says Breslau was on his mind Oct 18, 2017
“My time in Breslau was the happiest period of my life, the one to which I most often returned in my dreams in prison.”

"My time in Breslau was the happiest period of my life, the one to which I most often returned in my dreams in prison," he said, in an email to the Record.

"I had probably 400 dreams set in Breslau during the ordeal, honestly."
His story has been widely reported — Boyle and his American wife Caitlan Coleman were abducted in Afghanistan on a backpacking trip in 2012, having travelled to the Taliban-held region with hopes to do some kind of unofficial humanitarian work.

Boyle, who has called himself a "Mennonite hippy-child" but is no longer a practicing Mennonite, said he was called to Central Asia to help "fix things" on a mission to help people.

I like to find and read the many interviews JB did with different media outlet from around the world,
some I have not read before but the articles all seems to have some small extra comment or information or interview from someone they met or someone who knew them previously.

The story behind this couple's kidnapping
Joshua Boyle and Caitlan Coleman: The couple taken by the Taliban Oct 21, 2017

The children have the resilience of youth and attentive grandparents, and Boyle has said they're slowly adapting to their new circumstances, though the family continues to sleep together in one small room.

Coleman has not spoken publicly since her release and was admitted to hospital earlier this week with an undisclosed ailment.

Boyle told journalists the couple are focusing on building a safe home for their children and that he remains committed "to do the right thing no matter the cost".

"In the final analysis, it is the intentions of our actions, not their consequences, on which we all shall eventually be judged."

I like to find and read the many interviews JB did with different media outlet from around the world,
some I have not read before but the articles all seems to have some small extra comment or information or interview from someone they met or someone who knew them previously.

The story behind this couple's kidnapping
Joshua Boyle and Caitlan Coleman: The couple taken by the Taliban Oct 21, 2017

The children have the resilience of youth and attentive grandparents, and Boyle has said they're slowly adapting to their new circumstances, though the family continues to sleep together in one small room.

Coleman has not spoken publicly since her release and was admitted to hospital earlier this week with an undisclosed ailment.

Boyle told journalists the couple are focusing on building a safe home for their children and that he remains committed "to do the right thing no matter the cost".

"In the final analysis, it is the intentions of our actions, not their consequences, on which we all shall eventually be judged."

Interesting quote from Boyle:

"Boyle told journalists the couple are focusing on building a safe home for their children and that he remains committed "to do the right thing no matter the cost".

He claims that we should be judged by our words, not our deeds: judged on intentions not actions (and related consequences).

What does that mean, that if he speaks like a religious prophet, he is absolved of the consequences of his actions?

It doesn't matter if Josh has the world's worst case of PTSD, he knows right from wrong. He isn't insane. From what Caitlan stated and the photo evidence of her bite marks, Josh assaulted her and imprisoned her in their apartment. He also wanted her to enter teenage forums and find teenagers for him to sexually exploit (Skellington forums reference). He's dangerous.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if Josh has the world's worst case of PTSD, he knows right from wrong. He isn't insane. From what Caitlan stated and the photo evidence of her bite marks, Josh assaulted her and imprisoned her in their apartment. He also wanted her to enter teenage forums and find teenagers for him to sexually exploit (Skellington forums reference). He's dangerous.

He certainly sounds crazy. Paul Bernardo coerced his wife to help him find teenage victims. He is crazy. The difference is that Bernardo was peeping as a teenager and he devolved into a serial murderer over many years. Boyle was kidnapped an tortured for 5 years, and he arrived at the same disturbed thinking.

I'm unsure whether he should be convicted like a common criminal, or whether his circumstances need to be taken into consideration so he can be rehabilitated. Can he be rehabilitated? Canadian law is more like EU law, where rehabilitation is the goal.

He certainly sounds crazy. Paul Bernardo coerced his wife to help him find teenage victims. He is crazy. The difference is that Bernardo was peeping as a teenager and he devolved into a serial murderer over many years. Boyle was kidnapped an tortured for 5 years, and he arrived at the same disturbed thinking.

I'm unsure whether he should be convicted like a common criminal, or whether his circumstances need to be taken into consideration so he can be rehabilitated. Can he be rehabilitated? Canadian law is more like EU law, where rehabilitation is the goal.
It's my impression that Boyle was a kidnapping victim BECAUSE of his beliefs and behavior. He put himself - and his pregnant wife - deliberately in a situation that was dangerous, imo. He very deliberately put themselves there, and he knew that the danger to his wife and unborn child was great and that she didn't want to be there.

I don't think his behavior is because of the kidnapping but the other way around.

justmyopinion

It's my impression that Boyle was a kidnapping victim BECAUSE of his beliefs and behavior. He put himself - and his pregnant wife - deliberately in a situation that was dangerous, imo. He very deliberately put themselves there, and he knew that the danger to his wife and unborn child was great and that she didn't want to be there.

I don't think his behavior is because of the kidnapping but the other way around.

justmyopinion

That's a bit like blaming the victim. Boyle and Coleman went to the Middle East and they were kidnapped. We are not living in the stone ages where men are responsible for the decisions and actions of women. Coleman cannot put the blame for her decisions on Boyle. If she can read, she knew the dangers of traveling while pregnant, and that some parts of the world are dangerous. They made some very stupid decisions and they paid for those decisions with 5 years of terror.

After their rescue, she had "fits" (reason her mother recommended medication) and he went off the deep end with disturbed thinking about social and personal relationships. He was on medication and gave Coleman a normal dose of 3 pills. Why wasn't she also being treated for mental illness, depression and PTSD? We know that he wasn't depriving her of taking medication. Did she refuse medication?

That's a bit like blaming the victim. Boyle and Coleman went to the Middle East and they were kidnapped. We are not living in the stone ages where men are responsible for the decisions and actions of women. Coleman cannot put the blame for her decisions on Boyle. If she can read, she knew the dangers of traveling while pregnant, and that some parts of the world are dangerous. They made some very stupid decisions and they paid for those decisions with 5 years of terror.

After their rescue, she had "fits" (reason her mother recommended medication) and he went off the deep end with disturbed thinking about social and personal relationships. He was on medication and gave Coleman a normal dose of 3 pills. Why wasn't she also being treated for mental illness, depression and PTSD? We know that he wasn't depriving her of taking medication. Did she refuse medication?
Nowhere has it been stated that a normal dose was 3 pills. Caitlan weight is possibly 3/4 of Josh's weight, so his normal dose would be an overdose for her. Medications are not normally dispensed as "take 3" unless they are nitroglycerin pills and you take them progressively until the angina is relieved. There are higher dose pills available in most medications so people only need to take one or sometimes two.

Caitlan was pregnant. She may have chosen to not take medications because of her unborn child. Josh forcing his pregnant wife to take an overdose of his medications makes his actions even more sinister.

Last edited:
Nowhere has it been stated that a normal dose was 3 pills. Caitlan weight is possibly 3/4 of Josh's weight, so his normal dose would be an overdose for her. Medications are not normally dispensed as "take 3" unless they are nitroglycerin pills and you take them progressively until the angina is relieved. There are higher dose pills available in most medications so people only need to take one or sometimes two.

Caitlan was pregnant. She may have chosen to not take medications because of her unborn child. Josh forcing his pregnant wife to take an overdose of his medications makes his actions even more sinister.

I linked information about the drug a few days ago. The pills are in 50 and 100 mg tablets. A normal daily dose is between 150 and 375 mg. Therefore, 3 pills is never an overdose. It's quite possible he gave her the same dose that he was prescribed.

I was responding to your post that the kidnapping made Boyle act like he did and I'm suggesting otherwise.

I'm not blaming him as a kidnap victim but I do wonder (strongly) that he wanted to be kidnapped and purposely put himself and pregnant wife in danger. On purpose.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member