Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trazodone, the medication Josh forced Caitlan to take, is not safe for use in pregnancy.
View attachment 178706

I doubt that a normal dose of trazodone taken on one day would have an adverse effects on the fetus. There must be medications that are relatively safe for disturbed women to take during pregnancy.

I was responding to your post that the kidnapping made Boyle act like he did and I'm suggesting otherwise.

I'm not blaming him as a kidnap victim but I do wonder (strongly) that he wanted to be kidnapped and purposely put himself and pregnant wife in danger. On purpose.

jmo

I doubt that he wanted to be kidnapped. I suspect that they viewed themselves as saviors who were going to improve the world. It's almost common to read about people who go to extremely dangerous parts of the world (like Mali) to do something good and who are never heard from again.

I doubt that he wanted to be kidnapped. I suspect that they viewed themselves as saviors who were going to improve the world. It's almost common to read about people who go to extremely dangerous parts of the world (like Mali) to do something good and who are never heard from again.
We have different opinions on their trip. I think he duped her into thinking the trip was something like you describe or perhaps just an adventure, but he actually had other plans that involved danger and notoriety - plans that she did not consent to because she didn't know. And she didn't know because he didn't tell her, and he didn't tell her because he is purposefully manipulative and cruel to her.

But, that's just my opinion.

When the ebola crisis was last happening, I went to a rummage sale at a huge beautiful home of a doctor, his wife and at least a couple of children. They were selling everything because they were going to do a mission trip and live in the very country where there was ebola.

I imagine there are numerous stories of people going on missions to dangerous areas

When the ebola crisis was last happening, I went to a rummage sale at a huge beautiful home of a doctor, his wife and at least a couple of children. They were selling everything because they were going to do a mission trip and live in the very country where there was ebola.

I imagine there are numerous stories of people going on missions to dangerous areas
Was Boyle on some sort of humanitarian mission? What skills or supplies did he bring with him that would help anyone? Clue me in.

jmo

Was Boyle on some sort of humanitarian mission? What skills or supplies did he bring with him that would help anyone? Clue me in.

jmo

This wasn't their first trip to foreign lands, and it does sound like they wanted to do some good. Helping others does not need supplies.

"Boyle and Coleman met online as teenagers as mutual fans of the Star Wars franchise and were married in 2011.[4] After their marriage, they spent time travelling in Central America before moving to Perth-Andover, New Brunswick, where Boyle worked as a municipal clerk.[6] In July 2012, the two began travelling through Russia and Central Asia, planning on travelling through the "safe '-stans".[7] For unknown reasons, the couple crossed into Afghanistan in October;[1][4] Boyle has stated it was to help "ordinary villagers"[7], while other accounts indicate a more spontaneous decision.[1]" (link)

Maybe he viewed his travels as similar to this:
Mennonite Mission Network International Ministries

I linked information about the drug a few days ago. The pills are in 50 and 100 mg tablets. A normal daily dose is between 150 and 375 mg. Therefore, 3 pills is never an overdose. It's quite possible he gave her the same dose that he was prescribed.
My Trazodone tablets are 50mg. I am rx to take one per day. According to the definition of overdose that I linked upthread, if I took two per day it would technically be an overdose. It may not be enough to kill me, but it’s still an overdose. If the rx wasn’t for her, and the med is contraindicated for pregnancy, that’s assault on both her and the baby.

I guess I don’t understand why the defense of this guy. He’s a monster. She’s a victim. Period.

This wasn't their first trip to foreign lands, and it does sound like they wanted to do some good. Helping others does not need supplies.

"Boyle and Coleman met online as teenagers as mutual fans of the Star Wars franchise and were married in 2011.[4] After their marriage, they spent time travelling in Central America before moving to Perth-Andover, New Brunswick, where Boyle worked as a municipal clerk.[6] In July 2012, the two began travelling through Russia and Central Asia, planning on travelling through the "safe '-stans".[7] For unknown reasons, the couple crossed into Afghanistan in October;[1][4] Boyle has stated it was to help "ordinary villagers"[7], while other accounts indicate a more spontaneous decision.[1]" (link)

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I am very familiar with MMN and they would never allow him into one of their programs.

What about their travels suggests a mission (not about mission trips in general)? I'm missing something that everyone else is apparently seeing. Did he do mission work before his travels that indicates he wanted to expand? Where is this idea coming from, specifically, that he was a do-gooder?

It's my impression he was self-serving, not generous.

jmo

My Trazodone tablets are 50mg. I am rx to take one per day. According to the definition of overdose that I linked upthread, if I took two per day it would technically be an overdose. It may not be enough to kill me, but it’s still an overdose. If the rx wasn’t for her, and the med is contraindicated for pregnancy, that’s assault on both her and the baby.

I guess I don’t understand why the defense of this guy. He’s a monster. She’s a victim. Period.

Post #789

He told her to take 3 pills, meaning somewhere between 150 and 300mg.

Three pills is neither an overdose nor lethal:

"Desyrel (trazodone) is an antidepressant that increases serotonin activity in the brain. Trazodone is used for depression, anxiety, sleep and pain. Trazodone is not considered to be habit forming but should be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Trazodone is available as 50 mg or 100 mg tablets.

It may take up to two weeks before you notice a response. A daily dose of trazodone may range from 150 to 375 milligrams."​

Trazodone (Oleptro) - Side Effects, Dosage, Interactions - Drugs
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-wife-coleman-testimony-april-2-1.5081992

There are insufficient studies to determine the effects of the drug on a fetus.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I am very familiar with MMN and they would never allow him into one of their programs.

That may be why he did an independent trip. He was probably familiar with the Mennonite missions and may have had the same good intentions, and the expectation that their contribution would be valued.

What about their travels suggests a mission (not about mission trips in general)? I'm missing something that everyone else is apparently seeing. Did he do mission work before his travels that indicates he wanted to expand? Where is this idea coming from, specifically, that he was a do-gooder?

It's my impression he was self-serving, not generous.

jmo

He would have to be really crazy to want to be kidnapped and live in a hole for 5 years, so it's very likely that he had other good intentions.

That may be why he did an independent trip. He was probably familiar with the Mennonite missions and may have had the same good intentions, and the expectation that their contribution would be valued.
Can someone provide a link that his travels were mission work? I've totally missed that info and need to catch up. His travels don't have a mission-vibe to me at all.

jmo

Can someone provide a link that his travels were mission work? I've totally missed that info and need to catch up. His travels don't have a mission-vibe to me at all.

jmo

That information linked through Post #826:

"Edwards says when he first heard his friend had travelled to Afghanistan with Coleman - who was seven months pregnant at the time - he couldn't understand how they had "done something so appallingly dangerous".

Family and friends have described Boyle and Coleman as naive idealists - a couple with strong convictions and humanitarian inclinations.

In interviews following their release, Boyle said he and Coleman travelled to Afghanistan to help people. He called himself a "pilgrim" on a mission.

He told reporters he went to help "the most neglected minority group in the world. Those ordinary villagers who live deep inside Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, where no NGO, no aid worker and no government has ever successfully been able to bring the necessary help".​

The story behind this couple's kidnapping

And I think it's likely his intentions were not good.

That is definitely not how friends and family describe the naive idealist couple who had strong humanitarian inclinations.

That information linked through Post #826:

"Edwards says when he first heard his friend had travelled to Afghanistan with Coleman - who was seven months pregnant at the time - he couldn't understand how they had "done something so appallingly dangerous".

Family and friends have described Boyle and Coleman as naive idealists - a couple with strong convictions and humanitarian inclinations.

In interviews following their release, Boyle said he and Coleman travelled to Afghanistan to help people. He called himself a "pilgrim" on a mission.

He told reporters he went to help "the most neglected minority group in the world. Those ordinary villagers who live deep inside Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, where no NGO, no aid worker and no government has ever successfully been able to bring the necessary help".​

The story behind this couple's kidnapping
THANK YOU for the link.

I admit I remain skeptical that he had any legit mission work in mind, but very much appreciate the link.

jmo

THANK YOU for the link.

I admit I remain skeptical that he had any legit mission work in mind, but very much appreciate the link.

jmo

It seems that Boyle and Coleman are only viewed through the lens of recently filed charges, and not through the reality of who they were when they decided to travel to a dangerous part of the world to save people. Five years of torture during captivity changed both of them to the extent that they will never be who they were then they embarked on their trip.

Perhaps reviewing the first pages of the first thread would be useful to all of us.

Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

Or, read what's readily available on internet news sites.

1. Michelle Shephard (September 16, 2016). "Delivering his own son by flashlight: Kidnapped Canadian's correspondence gives glimpse of life in captivity". Toronto Star.
  2. ^ Mercer, Greg (October 13, 2017). "Freed man was raised in Region". Retrieved January 3, 2018.
  3. ^ Jacquie Miller, Ottawa Citizen (October 12, 2017). "Joshua Boyle: He's perhaps best known for his link to Khadr family". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
  4. ^ Jump up to:a b c Michelle Shephard; Jessica McDiarmid (December 31, 2012). "Khadr's Canadian ex-husband and new wife missing in Afghanistan". Toronto Star.
  5. ^ Jump up to:a b c Joanne Laucius (January 3, 2018). "Facts about former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
  6. ^ Mercer, Greg (October 18, 2017). "Released from Afghanistan, Joshua Boyle says Breslau was on his mind". TheRecord.com. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
  7. ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Murphy, Jessica (October 21, 2017). "The story behind this couple's kidnapping". BBC News. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
  8. ^ Bergen, Peter (June 24, 2015). "How to free American hostages". CNN.
  9. ^ "Canada's forgotten child hostages | Toronto Star". May 16, 2017.
  10. ^ Jump up to:a b c Barker, Memphis (October 25, 2017). "US woman held hostage by Taliban group in Pakistan reveals truth behind her rescue". The Telegraph. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
  11. ^ Leyland Cecco (March 29, 2019). "US woman kidnapped in Afghanistan says husband's abuse was just like captors'". The Guardian.
  12. ^ Jump up to:a b Goldman, Adam; Schmitt, Eric (October 17, 2017). "Navy SEALs Were Ready if Pakistan Failed to Free Family Held as Hostages". The New York Times.
  13. ^ Kassam, Ashifa; Janjua, Haroon (October 12, 2017). "Canadian American family rescued after five years as captives in Afghanistan". the Guardian. Retrieved April 14,2018.
  14. ^ Kube, Courtney; Khan, Wajahat S.; Bruton, F. Brinley; Nichols, Hans (October 12, 2017). "U.S. hostage heads to U.K. after husband refuses flight to U.S." NBC News. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
  15. ^ "Wife of former hostage Joshua Boyle returns to U.S. with children: report". Ottawa Citizen. Ottawa. 25 July 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
  16. ^ Nease, Kristy. "Former hostage Joshua Boyle to be released on bail". CBC. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
  17. ^ "Joshua Boyle's trial opens with estranged spouse electing to lift publication ban". CBC. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
  18. ^ "Credibility of estranged wife at centre of Joshua Boyle assault trial". Ottawa Citizen. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 26 March 2019. In her opening statement, Cunningham said the trial will hear a 911 phone recording of Boyle from the night of Dec. 30, 2017, along with testimony from two officers who responded to that emergency call. It will also hear from a next-door neighbour, and from a Global Affairs Canada official who accompanied the couple on a return flight from Afghanistan after they were freed from five years of captivity.
  19. ^ Lapin, Tamar (5 September 2018). "ETaliban hostage says husband also abused her in captivity". New York Post. New York. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
  20. ^ Duffy, Andrew (4 September 2018). "Ex-hostage American Caitlan Coleman accuses Canadian husband Joshua Boyle of abuse, in court documents". Ottawa Citizen. Ottawa. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
  21. ^ "Former hostages Joshua Boyle, Caitlan Colmen in custody battle". Globe and Mail. Toronto. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
  22. ^ Duffy, Andrew (4 September 2018). "Ex-hostage American Caitlan Coleman accuses Canadian husband Joshua Boyle of abuse, in court documents". Ottawa Citizen. Ottawa. Retrieved 5 September 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livjacks