Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He cannot get bail until someone agrees to be his "jailer" (surety). It is a very serious responsibility in Canada. Clearly no one trusts JB to respect conditions upon release (stay away from victims, don't commit crimes, obey a curfew, attend counselling are a few usual one) to step up and be a surety.

I doubt he has access to the internet, or very nice conditions inside. Certainly no access to therapy/medical care (unless a crisis), so anyone who cared for him would have gotten him out asap. The rules have changed around crediting pre-trial jail time so there is little advantage to staying inside for JB (access to lawyers restricted etc) unless, like suggested above, it is comforting by being familiar.

I agree him saying he doesn't understand is just him playing games and trying to set up some sort of defense.

Im not really familiar with jail but I did think most of them have internet? If he took his iPad or laptop? He's 'only' on remand. IMO

JDG, are you Canadian out of curiosity on my part? I am and i would be pissed if the inmates are getting Free Wifi in jail on my taxpayer dime. They would all be watching *advertiser censored*!

The rules have changed around crediting pre-trial jail time so there is little advantage to staying inside for JB (access to lawyers restricted etc) unless, like suggested above, it is comforting by being familiar. .

I did not know that, I always thought it was 2 - 1 time in pre trial custody. I love this site for knowledge.

JDG, are you Canadian out of curiosity on my part? I am and i would be pissed if the inmates are getting Free Wifi in jail on my taxpayer dime. They would all be watching *advertiser censored*!

Yes I am Canadian. You'd be surprised what happens with our taxpayer dimes. I thought they had 'limited' or blocked access internet but then, like I said, not familiar with jail.

We do have that Charter of Rights ya know. Justins Daddys legacy.

It won't be as bad as some of the posters might think, they do get medical attention as needed. I have seen people from jail in the local hospital while waiting for appointments. The government pays more to feed them, than a hospitalized person. They are seen to have an obligation to prisoners that they don't have for patients in hospital. EVERYONE should eat, IMO

Remember the old 'joke'? If you can't make do on your old aged pension, commit a crime and go to jail. Possibly better than 'the home'.

I did not know that, I always thought it was 2 - 1 time in pre trial custody. I love this site for knowledge.

Thats what the media always report, 2/1 time. When did it change? what did it change to?

Karla H. got a degree or two on our dimes, lived in a nice little bungalow with some 'friends' and was able to choose her own groceries.
She also became bilingual. French lessons would cost me a fortune. Heck, her mother used to take the dog for visits!!

Now, she sneers at people in her neighbourhood and tried to volunteer at the local school, until she was outed.
For those who don't know Karla H., she and her ex killed three teenaged girls. or was it four? one of whom was her kid sister.

I have visited a Federal Prison for a parole hearing once, years ago. I was shocked how nice it was. The inmates lived in Townhouses not cells, could have their own TV in their rooms with free cable and computer (but no internet) cooked their own meals, purchased their own groceries through the canteen, had socials and got weekend passes to go into town. Separate town homes for conjuga visits. There was a really nice playground for inmate children when they came to visit. It was in a country like setting outside of Toronto near Kingston, ON, called the Pittsburgh Institute.

It brought true meaning to the old saying "Club Fed".

Provincial jails like the ones JB is in, I believe are more like jails we would see on TV with cells. Some inmates try and get a sentence which is longer than 2 years so they can serve it out in a Federal Prison and not a Provincial Jail.

Well, its pretty cold in Ottawa this time of year. JB has a roof over his head, three squares a day and a warm 'bed'.
Other than his stint in a call centre, not sure of his ambition to work for a living. BUT, maybe being 'captive' has TRULY made him feel more comfortable whilst under the control of guards and rules etc. I mean that in a psychological sense. Maybe he really cannot handle being free again?? Just a thought, IMO

The reason for thinking that is because of repeat offenders who cannot adjust to being out of jail after doing a long stretch. IMO

Yes, I think not being able to support his family is a factor in his decisions as well. What has he been doing to support them? He's a young man and should have some marketable skills by this point in life, but he either doesn't have skills or doesn't have ambition. Being a big-wig on gaming sites doesn't pay the bills. Even a book deal wouldn't pay for quite awhile (and I think he's losing his marketability quickly anyway) and those kids need to eat and have a place to live. He had a nice home with his parents but he left it and then sent his wife around to the neighbors in their apartment asking to use their internet for free.

His decision-making processes are hard to understand. I don't know what she sees in him.

jmopinion

Does anyone else wonder if JB 'visited' Justin Trudeau in the hopes that Justin Trudeau would give him $10M, as he did his ex BIL? IMO
That would allow him to not work, yet support his children nicely. IMO

Does anyone else wonder if JB 'visited' Justin Trudeau in the hopes that Justin Trudeau would give him $10M, as he did his ex BIL? IMO

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]I am not sure, but the visit with JT sure gave him a ton of publicity. In the meantime, I am sure Government assistance is taking good care of the children through our Welfare system. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]I cant off the top of my head remember the article that said he was looking for a book deal, but its out there.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]Then the fact that CC said in her blog that she wanted to be a film maker, I think between the 2 of them they got it covered for book & film deals. Its that sexual assault charge that could stand in his way, he needs that to go away quickly :) And sounds like CC in her statement after his arrest she has it covered.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I would not be surprised if JB is seeking a taxpayer paid handout at this point.

I am catching up, so forgive me if this has been explained. I'm unclear as to why the bail hearing is taking so long. Delayed is normal. But this long seems a bit abnormal to me. Now, JBs statement saying he has "No idea what is going on" (I'm paraphrasing), could be leading to something.

I was in criminal Court aiding a friend legally, for a small theft charge. Trust me, I was not okay with what she did. Anyways, I watched this all play out over a series of dates, in regards to her and other people in the courtroom.

At the pretrial meeting, the judge will ensure all disclosure (evidence) to be relied on at trial has been provided to the defence. In my friends case, it hadn't. The prosecutor handed an envelope with a bunch of CDs in it to her. The CDs contained her police interview, key stroke data from the cash machine and a computer copy of a document with all written witness statements, timeline and synopsis on it.

When the plea is entered, in Canada, the judge needs to make sure you are aware of what you are saying/doing. In Canada, guilty does not necessarily mean I did it. This is an extreme example: if I was driving drunk and killed someone, I would be guilty of manslaughter. I didn't intend to kill the person. But my neglect and ignorance caused their death. So I'm guilty. If there is any confusion, the judge cannot accept your guilty plea. JB seems like he is leading to exactly this. Here are the questions asked:

Are you pleading guilty voluntarily?
Do you understand that by pleading guilty that you are admitting to facts that make up a criminal offence?
Do you understand the consequences of a guilty plea, including that you are giving up your right to have a trial by pleading guilty?
Do you understand that the judge does not have to follow the sentence that your lawyer and/or the Crown are recommending?

http://lawfacts.ca/criminal/guiltypleas

Grace, This says it all!!! I'm terrified of him being in the country. I hope our Csis or Rcmp or someone is watching him! But with how things seem to fall through the cracks and Canada is all about rehabilitation, privacy and freedom rights, I'm inclined to think they weren't watching him.... Who knows. I say just send him back. I know that's awful. But he seems more comfortable there vs here (Boyles vs the world)

Grace, This says it all!!! I'm terrified of him being in the country. I hope our Csis or Rcmp or someone is watching him! But with how things seem to fall through the cracks and Canada is all about rehabilitation, privacy and freedom rights, I'm inclined to think they weren't watching him.... Who knows. I say just send him back. I know that's awful. But he seems more comfortable there vs here (Boyles vs the world)

I dont think our country is watching him at all, after all he and his whole family visited our Prime Minister for a photo op, no less. I am afraid to know what was discussed, and we will never know because its "private".

Justin Trudeau seems to jump on everything Islam, without getting the facts. His latest public outrage of the little girl that made up a story about having her hijab cut.

We can only hope after his incarceration, life will become "intolerable" again for them and they go back for another extended vacation. The only ones I feel sorry for our his children, because the boys will soon be at an age where the Taliban recruits and starts training them. And the little girl will begin a life as a sex slave when she hits pre puberty.

To my neighbours to the south, I wouldnt feel too safe either, with an American wife, the family could easily slip over the border.

“God has given me and my family unparalleled resilience and determination, and to allow that to stagnate, to pursue personal pleasure or comfort while there is still deliberate and organized injustice in the world would be a betrayal of all I believe, and tantamount to sacrilege,” he wrote.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-wife-were-kidnapped-because-she-was-pregnant OCT 15,2017

Went back to earlier articles and photos and this statement just upset me so in light of the assault charges IMO
There was that one photo in the above article that I mentioned in Thread 1 that made me sad the first time I saw it and still makes me sad at the way he is moving the little boy by the scruff of the neck

This article had all kinds of nuggets of creep.

I thought it was strange that US State Department officials accompanied him back to Canada. He’s a Canadian citizen. Why the US State Department and why accompany him?

Then he points to those US officials and says, Their interests are not my interests.”

Those State Department “guards” must have been there for a reason we don’t know. They had to get him exactly handed over to Canada? Because he’s a danger under US intelligence reasons? Otherwise they could simply have had the hostage NGO accompany the family on the plane. No, there had to be an official reason for doing that.

Is it possible he is refusing? Maybe he wants to stay in jail for whatever reason...likes to be confined, likes to be the victim, likes to gather a group of followers/recruits from captive audience, like attention. I don't know....but you'd think the son of a judge would have bail by now unless the father is refusing or the son is refusing.

Wild guesses on my part.

jmo

I can just imagine his lawyer saying these are your bail conditions, sign this and you can walk out of here. JB kicks off because he doesn't like the conditions, goes off on a self-righteous rant and refuses to sign. "I've done nothing wrong, how dare they say I can't contact my wife when the Koran says I am the head of the family! I refuse to legitimise this injustice by playing by the corrupt system's rules, blah blah blah".

I can just imagine his lawyer saying these are your bail conditions, sign this and you can walk out of here. JB kicks off because he doesn't like the conditions, goes off on a self-righteous rant and refuses to sign. "I've done nothing wrong, how dare they say I can't contact my wife when the Koran says I am the head of the family! I refuse to legitimise this injustice by playing by the corrupt system's rules, blah blah blah".

Yup. I think you nailed it. He likes thinking he’s a martyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch