CAR SEAT discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
STODDARD: When the defendant pulled over at the Akers Mill, he pulled directly into the shopping center, Akers Mill Shopping Center and parked his car in the middle of the roadway. He exited his vehicle and popped up the rear door to his vehicle. He entered into the rear door, removed Cooper from the car seat, removed Cooper from the car seat and placed him on the pavement next to the vehicle. He got down next Cooper.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1407/03/wolf.02.html

bbm, That is the strangest thing to me.

If you listen to the video, that's not what he said. He said "popped open", not popped up. It's at 10:04-05 of the first youtube video in the media link

Unfortunately this guy is probably going to get away with murder...and we will see a rise in child car deaths...what a sad and unsettling thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just might, that is why the car seat demonstration so disappointed me. I wanted it to be more obvious and after I saw it I just felt so sad.

That is not the part I was referring to but thanks.

There is another portion of the hearing that was posted earlier - it is now in the Car Seat Thread.

All posts relating to the car seat were moved from the main thread into it's own thread.
Due to the importance of the topic, and the amount of discussions, it was warranted it's own thread.

All discussion here may get moved as well :dunno:

But to get back to your comment - the transcripts that were posted regarding if Stoddard said "protruding" -
No it was never stated. However, multiple and maybe all (lol) news articles have.

I would link to new thread, but unsure how - sorry :blushing:

my opinion etc., :moo:

There is another portion of the hearing that was posted earlier - it is now in the Car Seat Thread.

All posts relating to the car seat were moved from the main thread into it's own thread.
Due to the importance of the topic, and the amount of discussions, it was warranted it's own thread.

All discussion here may get moved as well :dunno:

But to get back to your comment - the transcripts that were posted regarding if Stoddard said "protruding" -
No it was never stated. However, multiple and maybe all (lol) news articles have.

I would link to new thread, but unsure how - sorry :blushing:

my opinion etc., :moo:
FYI those aren't complete transcripts.

Six minutes is a good amount of time to be on the phone. I wonder if he was on hold and hung up?
The documents, which include applications for search warrants and eight actual search warrants in the case against Justin Ross Harris, seek the medical records of Harris and his late son, Cooper Harris; a DVD; - 2 gigabyte memory card; a 32GB thumb drive; and an external hard drive.

http://m.news4jax.com/nationalnews/search-warrants-to-be-released-in-car-seat-death/26821326

Wonder what kind of goodies they will find on these!

Would you agree that in order to make that assumption you need to be able to decide how obvious the car seat was? Because a lot of people dont seem to understand that it is pertinent.

I don't see any way how the car seat in the middle of the back seat, rear facing, could NOT be obvious in a vehicle of that size. Not from any re-enactment I've seen (including the one on Fox News Atlanta, that was very well done) and not from personal experience.

Huh?...my question was should the sentence involve life or the DP

Well, if it can be proved that prior to driving that day you googled "what's the penalty for running a red light resulting in the death of a passenger in the car" and they then discovered that the seatbelt in the passenger seat was faulty and you knew about it and had failed to get it fixed.... yeah, I'd say DP or life was appropriate. Otherwise it would be a reckless driving/ involuntary manslaughter charge for which they already have adequate penalties.

Ok, so, JRH, NOT ONCE, remembered he didn't take CH to day care and somehow didn't see him in the car until after work.. So what made him realize he was in the car? He didn't notice him during lunch after he buys light bulbs, goes to his car, looks in (See below) and still doesn't see Cooper? Didn't know he was there when he pulled into work, took 30 minutes to get out of car. And yet somehow while driving to go to movies he finally see's Cooper?

STODDARD: When he reaches in, he comes up, he opens up the door. And as he's reaching in, turns his head a little bit. He's in there, he has a clear view, and he kind of turns his head and then just tosses the light bulbs into the car

I watched that part of the pch again and it seems like Stoddard is saying that RH deliberately turned his head AWAY from the car seat. Anyone else see it differently?

I watched that part of the pch again and it seems like Stoddard is saying that RH deliberately turned his head AWAY from the car seat. Anyone else see it differently?

I would have to see the video to get a better picture, however I believe JRH SAW CH :(

He just might, that is why the car seat demonstration so disappointed me. I wanted it to be more obvious and after I saw it I just felt so sad.
This is why the jury system has failed miserably in so many cases. People watch too much CSI and crime shows and always expect some kind of "fireworks" or constant "aha" moments in order to convict someone with the true evidence that is right in front of their faces.

Ok, so, JRH, NOT ONCE, remembered he didn't take CH to day care and somehow didn't see him in the car until after work.. So what made him realize he was in the car? He didn't notice him during lunch after he buys light bulbs, goes to his car, looks in (See below) and still doesn't see Cooper? Didn't know he was there when he pulled into work, took 30 minutes to get out of car. And yet somehow while driving to go to movies he finally see's Cooper?

STODDARD: When he reaches in, he comes up, he opens up the door. And as he's reaching in, turns his head a little bit. He's in there, he has a clear view, and he kind of turns his head and then just tosses the light bulbs into the car

That is a good question. If the argument that the car seat would be visible from the driver's view but it was too far back to actually see the child strapped in it is to be believed, how did he ever see Cooper in the seat? He claims that when he looked to the right to make a lane change or a turn or whatever, he saw Cooper there in the seat.

How? He never saw him in all the maneuvers to get from the restaurant to HD, through the parking lot and then the maneuvers required to park, then exiting the car and walking away...returning to the car later and again walking away. So...how is it that after he leaves work and drives away he can now see the child from the driver's seat?

I am not wanting to debate the position of the car seat anymore, or the size of the child or any of that. But I am supposed to entertain the idea that he could see the car seat but not the child in it without questioning how he was able to see Cooper in the seat at the time he actually claims he did when he could not see him there any other time that day?

I want to believe, but something doesn't feel right.

So in Alabama, you would be sentenced to "not more than 20 years or less than 2 years."

http://law.onecle.com/alabama/criminal-code/13A-5-6.html

I wonder if any state has as harsh a penalty for this type of crime as GA does.

BBM

A baby has been baked to death, what is the appropriate punishment for the person that let that occur, intentional or not? We are talking about a baby strapped into a car seat by a "loving" parent and left to bake to death. They are absolutely helpless, yet the courts generally shrug is off and let the responsible party go. That poor child, just forgotten to death. :(

BBM

A baby has been baked to death, what is the appropriate punishment for the person that let that occur, intentional or not? We are talking about a baby strapped into a car seat by a "loving" parent and left to bake to death. They are absolutely helpless, yet the courts generally shrug is off and let the responsible party go. That poor child, just forgotten to death. :(

Whatever the appropriate punishment is, it shouldn't vary from 2 years in jail to the death penalty based on whether your car is parked 10 feet over the GA line when it happens, imo.

I thought this too, but Stoddard was looking at the judge who was seated to his left.

Thanks for finding that. I think it's important to keep the facts straight.

Another part of his testimony in that minute 14:00 of the video is where I think the "head protruding between the seats" may have come from. Stoddard is talking about RH putting Cooper back in the car seat after b'fast and says the car seat was rear-facing and Cooper's head would have been "between, or almost between the two front seats." He was saying that in the context of describing the rear-facing positioning, though, and not the proximity of Cooper's head to the seats. Which, imo, is why he corrected himself.

Huh? I don't know what that has to do with it?

That's the direction RH would have turned when he stuck his head in the car to put the bulbs in and that means he would have been turning toward the windshield and not toward the car seat.

Another part of his testimony in that minute 14:00 of the video is where I think the "head protruding between the seats" may have come from. Stoddard is talking about RH putting Cooper back in the car seat after b'fast and says the car seat was rear-facing and Cooper's head would have been "between, or almost between the two front seats." He was saying that in the context of describing the rear-facing positioning, though, and not the proximity of Cooper's head to the seats. Which, imo, is why he corrected himself.

Wasn't it stated at one point there was approx. 6 inches between what? The car seat or Cooper's head?

Wasn't it stated at one point there was approx. 6 inches between what? The car seat or Cooper's head?

Yes. Another part of the testimony is that the head end of the car seat would have been ~ 6 inches from the driver seat (paraphrasing). I think someone quoted it or linked it exactly in this thread earlier today.

As in the car seat was almost centered. Thanks.

I thought this too, but Stoddard was looking at the judge who was seated to his left.

Huh? I don't know what that has to do with it?

That's the direction RH would have turned when he stuck his head in the car to put the bulbs in and that means he would have been turning toward the windshield and not toward the car seat.

It appears the convo went to questionning the head direction of "Stoddard while addressing the judge", not the direction of which way RH turned his head while dropping off the lightbulbs. That's where it got confusing. Also, I disagree that RH turned his head toward the windshield. Going to find that part of the video now as if that were the case, I am not even sure why it would even be mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8