Carnival Ship Stranded in Gulf of Mexico

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've got CNN on, interesting that Carnival was wanting people to sign waivers saying if they talked to the press they wouldn't get their refund....

Very typical. Universally these passengers have wonderful things to say about the crew, how gracious they were. A bright spot in a really awful place.

I'm wondering if Carnival wanted to bus them to Houston because they pay a pittance to put up passengers and they knew they'd have to pay more in Mobile. I hope they do the right thing and put them up in Mobile.

These 2 ladies were saying bathrooms full of urine, toxic environment. I bet Carnival sends that one lady a bill for the robe she had to take to be warm.

you betch cha they treated me like chit for complaining to the point I am afraid to go I know they keep records better than 1939 Germany. I wouldnt be shocked if they pushed me overboard.

never again and I am glad they made it back I dont think the press or Carnival will admit just how close to the Concordia this could have been

They aren't right next to the ship and said they can smell it a little. It must have been God-awful to be on it.

It's sad that a lot of these people thought nobody cared about them or remembered them out there.

I've got CNN on, interesting that Carnival was wanting people to sign waivers saying if they talked to the press they wouldn't get their refund....

Very typical. Universally these passengers have wonderful things to say about the crew, how gracious they were. A bright spot in a really awful place.

I'm wondering if Carnival wanted to bus them to Houston because they pay a pittance to put up passengers and they knew they'd have to pay more in Mobile. I hope they do the right thing and put them up in Mobile.

These 2 ladies were saying bathrooms full of urine, toxic environment. I bet Carnival sends that one lady a bill for the robe she had to take to be warm.
bbm Outrageous! Extorting their abused, frightened passengers!

I'm surprised that any of those passengers would get on a bus and travel another 7-8 miserable hours on a fume-filled bus to Galveston. WTH was Carnival thinking busing those exhausted people all the way to Houston? Abusive!

bbm Outrageous! Extorting their abused, frightened passengers!

I'm surprised that any of those passengers would get on a bus and travel another 7-8 miserable hours on a fume-filled bus to Galveston. WTH was Carnival thinking busing those exhausted people all the way to Houston? Abusive!

our car was at the Galvez hotel in Galveston the parking lot at the terminal was full most people that drove to the port or like us left their cars at local hotels had to go back to Galveston to get their vehicle.

I had a friend who went on the same cruise I took the year before and a hurricane came and wiped out the terminal parking lot they never found his car or thousands of other cars. They ported in New Orleans and flew back to Houston then took a bus just to hunt for their cars. That was a disaster

The level of spin that Carnival corporate folks will try to put on this fiasco could knock the Earth right off its orbit. Disgusting and shameful.

I'd be willing to bet that the efforts of the crew were the only thing that kept the passengers from declaring mutiny.

If Carnival is managed as poorly as it appears, the company deserves whatever loss of status and revenue that comes its way.

I did not know that Carnival had such a bad reputation. It's considered to be one of the cheaper cruise lines. If you are still interested in a cruise, and if you can afford it, there are much nicer cruise lines that don't suffer from as many problems as Carnival. I don't think they are all as bad as Carnival...and I know problems are rare, but it seems Carnival suffers from them more often than other ones. Splurging can be worth it.

I did not know that Carnival had such a bad reputation. It's considered to be one of the cheaper cruise lines. If you are still interested in a cruise, and if you can afford it, there are much nicer cruise lines that don't suffer from as many problems as Carnival. I don't think they are all as bad as Carnival...and I know problems are rare, but it seems Carnival suffers from them more often than other ones. Splurging can be worth it.

I cant recall the total number of cruise lines owned by carnival you can google it but they own Cunard LOL they are the big guys for sure

Good they are off the boat, not good what happened with waivers and the bus. Well, the bus would be my luck, that I would force myself (if I hadn't lost my mind and gone into a pyscho rage or morphed into a rabid skunk yet) to tolerate.

Waivers, no way. I wouldn't sign one. I'd be talking for sure, who cares about the $350 +. Some already have been. I'm sure other cruise lines or any media would offer any talker a free vacation with some other company. Not that I would ever go on a cruise again.

What a nightmare. I do hope they talk. People need to know these things. I also hope they all get a checkup and some blood work or something done after being in the unsanitary conditions. :sick:

Wow waivers to not talk to press... Wonder what the true stories are about on that cruise. I am a nosy girl, I'll like some info on the inside days of cruising not in that condition. I am happy they are off the ship. I don't know how I would handle it, I would be off in a few days I would probably be calm and deal with it. I hope no one gets sick :/

Silly me, I imagined the poor passengers would be taken straight away to a hotel IN Mobile! Maybe there are not enough available rooms in Mobile. The bus trips sound just terrible. I bet some people rent cars and drive themselves to wherever they want to go. I could not be captive on a bus. Bet Carnival won't reimburse the passengers for their rental cars and hotel rooms they book on their own.

I haven't sailed on Carnival since the late '80s, but I'm sure that they already have contracts with hotels in New Orleans and Houston since those are port cities where pre/post-passengers frequently stay. DH and I mostly sail with Princess, and they offer pre/post-cruise accommodations that are not always the most convenient to the port or in nice areas where there are shops, restaurants, etc.

Carnival most likely has their own flight program where they make your flight arrangements that might offer somewhat lower fares than booking on your own, through a TA or online service, but passengers are usually scheduled on flights that aren't convenient, i.e. non-stops. Similarly to Princess, Carnival probably also has pre-arranged bus transportation in its port cities to shuttle passengers to/from airport/hotel to ship.

I'm wondering now how long it will take for these passengers to receive their refunds and $500 bonus check. I wouldn't hold my breath ;) as it could take several weeks or even months. :moo:

I suspect that many passengers opted out of Carnival's transportation and hotel accommodations and stayed in Mobile. I also doubt that all passengers will use Carnival's pre-scheduled flights if they can get home quicker or more expeditiously from Mobile.

I cant recall the total number of cruise lines owned by carnival you can google it but they own Cunard LOL they are the big guys for sure

Under the Carnival Corporation umbrella:

Carnival Cruise Lines (23 ships)
Princess Cruises (17 ships)
Holland America Line (15 ships)
Costa (15 ships)
P&O Cruises (7 ships)
Cunard (3 ships)
Seabourn (5 ships)
AIDA (8 ships)
P&O Cruises Australia (3 ships)
Iberocruceros (4 ships)

Wow waivers to not talk to press... Wonder what the true stories are about on that cruise. I am a nosy girl, I'll like some info on the inside days of cruising not in that condition. I am happy they are off the ship. I don't know how I would handle it, I would be off in a few days I would probably be calm and deal with it. I hope no one gets sick :/

I hope that there are folks who pooh-pooh the waiver and tell the truth about really happened. CNN has already announced a special program this evening about the Triumph tragedy. I will definitely tune in.

Passengers slog home after 'horrible' Gulf cruise

By JAY REEVES and BRENDAN FARRINGTON, AP
27 minutes ago

MOBILE, Ala. — Passengers who finally escaped the disabled Carnival cruise ship Triumph were on the move early Friday, some checked into the comfort of hotels, others on buses or headed to charter flights home after five numbing days at sea on a ship paralyzed by an engine-room fire.

The vacation ship carrying some 4,200 people docked late Thursday in Mobile to raucous cheers from passengers weary of overflowing toilets, food shortages and foul odors.

"Sweet Home Alabama!" read one of the homemade signs passengers affixed alongside the 14-story ship as many celebrated at deck rails lining several levels of the stricken ship. The ship's horn loudly blasted several times as four tugboats pulled the crippled ship to shore at about 9:15 p.m. CST. Some gave a thumbs-up sign and flashes from cameras and cellphones lit the night.

"It was horrible, just horrible" said Maria Hernandez, 28, of Angleton, Texas, tears welling in her eyes as she talked about waking up to smoke in her lower-level room Sunday from the engine-room fire and the days of heat and stench that followed. She was on a "girls trip" with friends.

It took about four hours for all passengers to disembark...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130213/US.Disabled.Cruise.Ship/

I hope engineers will come forward and discuss the possibility that ship had of flipping on its side. The stories about the ship leaning so dramatically are scary!!!!

Murphy's Law? Cruise passengers' bus breaks down

Charter bus breakdown occurred about 45 minutes into drive

Author: By Michael Pearson. Lateef Mungin and Steve Almasy CNN

Published On: Feb 15 2013 03:22:10 AM EST Updated On: Feb 15 2013 12:14:34 PM EST

(CNN) -
What are the odds of this?

Passengers fleeing the crippled cruise liner Carnival Triumph aboard a charter bus to New Orleans found themselves stuck -- again -- when the bus taking them from Mobile, Ala., broke down Friday morning on the side of the highway.

"You wouldn't think after the ship nightmare, that on the bus ride to New Orleans, the bus would break down," Carnival passenger Jacob Combs said Friday, after the bus finally arrived in New Orleans.

But it did. About 45 minutes into the drive, passengers heard a loud popping sound, Combs said. The bus pulled to the side of Interstate 10, and waited about 45 minutes until a replacement bus arrived. Carnival officials confirmed the breakdown....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...own/-/2305824/18559332/-/apjqj7z/-/index.html

I hope that there are folks who pooh-pooh the waiver and tell the truth about really happened. CNN has already announced a special program this evening about the Triumph tragedy. I will definitely tune in.

Um...is tragedy really the best word to use to describe the situation?

The Titanic tragedy.
The Lusitania tragedy.
The Triumph tragedy.

One of these things is not like the other. ;)

Um...is tragedy really the best word to use to describe the situation?

The Titanic tragedy.
The Lusitania tragedy.
The Triumph tragedy.

One of these things is not like the other. ;)

I'm fond of alliteration. Sorry if it offended you. I'm sure that this was a "tragedy" to those onboard. :moo:

I wanted so bad to film the fiasco at the terminal it was very much like what went on in the ship but only lasted 14 hours and prevented us from making our destination. There were signs all over the terminal that said " Under Federal Law it is prohibited from filming this building" So I knew I might get in trouble and wondered if this was the reason the signs were up! I was never so mad in my life to be seperated from 2500 dollars and then treated like this. If Carnival had just told us we could have a refund I would have taken it and went to Sea World I had that as a back up. But NO WAY they want that money and they aint giving it back! LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back