Casey and "The Shack"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sheshe,
Sounds like a great book! Can't wait to get it! Out of curiosity, did you get the idea to get the book from seeing a pic of it in KC's room and looking it up?

Has anyone read this book? "The Shack" I am in the process of reading it now. In the crime scene photos taken of Casey's bedroom, it shows an open closet/amoire and on the shelf is a copy of this book.
This book is a religious book about a child that is kidnapped and murdered.
It is also about God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
On pag. 125 of this book, there is a passage that reads...."It all sounds like THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, that to get what you want you will go to any length, even if it costs the lives of billions of people."

Remember in Casey journal....she wrote "I hopethe end justifies the means???"

Anyway, I have only posted here a few times, but I just found this interesting.

Great job finding that!!

I have read the book. I doubt that Casey even read it. When were the pics taken? My guess is that someone gave it to her after Caylee went missing, thinking it would comfort her.
The phrase "Ends Justify the Means" is not uncommon, and Casey could have heard it in a lot of places.

I really donl;t think this book would have appealed to Casey at all. I am sure she would have gotten bored after the first chapter. The focus of the book is the main character's relationship with God.

I read "The Shack" a long time ago. I would never, never have connected it to this murder in any way. The main theme of the book is about one's relationship with the Trinity and trying to put an answer to the age old question of why bad things happen to good people. "The ends justifying the means" was in no way the main point of the book and as many posters have previously stated is an age old expression. While the majority of my friends and acquaintances liked the book and felt it made them feel that a relationship with God could be more personal than they had imagined, I did not care for it. I can't imagine it had any impact on Casey; obviously, God wasn't a player for her during this portion of her life.

I have read the book. I doubt that Casey even read it. When were the pics taken? My guess is that someone gave it to her after Caylee went missing, thinking it would comfort her.
The phrase "Ends Justify the Means" is not uncommon, and Casey could have heard it in a lot of places.

I really donl;t think this book would have appealed to Casey at all. I am sure she would have gotten bored after the first chapter. The focus of the book is the main character's relationship with God.

Jinx, you owe me a Coke. :0)

Hey sheshe,
Sounds like a great book! Can't wait to get it! Out of curiosity, did you get the idea to get the book from seeing a pic of it in KC's room and looking it up?

No, Actually someone at Church told me about it. I only noticed it in the picture after I started reading it.

No, Actually someone at Church told me about it. I only noticed it in the picture after I started reading it.

Okay! Thanks for answering I was just curious. I really would like to read the book b/c it sounded good on the Amazon review!

Okay! Thanks for answering I was just curious. I really would like to read the book b/c it sounded good on the Amazon review!

It is a really good book. ( So far...!) I would highly recommend it to you! :angel:

My first impression is that this may be a gift. Perhaps from one of the prayer vigils. "The ends justfies the means" is a pretty common phrase, and Casey doesn't strike me as very original.

Worth a look and a more careful investigation though-- thanks for bringing this up.

Yeah, I tend to agree. But it's sure worth looking into- thanks for sharing this with us, sheshe!!

I don't know... I've read that KC is an "avid reader." I seem to think she probably did read the book. I wonder like Bern and Illinois Mom if LE is aware of this book and this passage, and especially the "lady bug pin" - that is kind of like leaving the sticker in my opinion.

I wonder if LE is aware of this book and that passage? I find it strange that the passage and the kidnapping are similar to KC's passage in her journal and the kidnapping story. Also the lady bug pin, like leaving a sticker.

I remember a W/Ser posting about this book before now. They mentioned the ladybug in the post.

Can anyone share a link to the actual photo of Casey's room where this book was spotted?

I don't know... I've read that KC is an "avid reader." I seem to think she probably did read the book. I wonder like Bern and Illinois Mom if LE is aware of this book and this passage, and especially the "lady bug pin" - that is kind of like leaving the sticker in my opinion.

KC also loves quoting books...one being the bible, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. This would be from the jail video with her parents.

She also loves using little well known phrases, I noticed a few in the IM chats with Iassen. JMO

I noted and posted this on Feb 18 in the doc dump thread. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332256#post3332256

in the post I say I about went and bought it. However, I read up on some reviews such as this http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332256#post3332256 and decided that I just best stick with my bible. It has all I need.

Some say that it the book actual has a low regard for Scripture. My overall thoughts after reading the reviews is that if Casey read this book while out on bond then.. she thinks all she has to do is say " I believe and I forgive myself" and she is all good with God. IMO she is messed up enough to think if she gets the DP then she will go to heaven because God loves all and forgives all if we "only just believe or forgive ourselves." She doesn't think she actually has to confess to anyone else be forgiven. Putting her away with out the DP is a far greater punishment because she will have a long 70 years wasting away.

Whereas my belief, is that believing is not enough without good works and a reconcilation and confession to the sin. To deny responsibility to the sin but yet say "I believe in Jesus as my Savior" is not good enough. (We expect our own children to admit to mistakes, make up for them and work hard to not do them again.) I do not understand how a sick minded evil monster who does not feel remorse or guilt can go to heaven. Yet, I do believe if she confessed, and did nothing but good works for the entire sum of her life she would be forgiven. Only pure evil, would take the Word of God and misuse it for total selfishness.

I do not want to get into a religious discussion, which is another reason I held back starting this thread. However, I am glad that I am not the only one who had this topic circling around in my head.

IMO, between this very book and Casey's "right to remain" silence is the her complete shield and enabler that keeps her in complete denial that she actual did anything wrong and if she did.. she is "forgiven" since she has forgiven herself. I can see Casey sitting in jail right now thinking "Well, I read the bible, I believe and since I forgave myself.. I am good to go especially since I know a few good chosen quotes I tossed out over the jail house video."

For those that are interested here is another review:
http://hereiblog.com/2008/08/08/the-shack-review/

I think overall for a NORMAL person, this is probably a nice fictional heartwarming story but I would not let it override anything that is in the Scripture.

OMG that book has been on my nightstand for months unread. I'm going to read it now. Did Casey even know how to read?

Wow, SheShe. You know how Casey has to "become" like the people she's with, well...she may be doing that with what she's read too. This is a great thing to point out to LE down there in Orlando. Who wants to do that? Maybe you know someone, not that LE hasn't figured it out already. Wow.

Things I've read that Casey wrote always hinted at being plagiarized then changed a little to suit her needs. Man oh man. She is as stupid as I have been thinking, if this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV