Casey Anthony reportedly planning to dump lawyer Jose Baez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's the issue. The criminal does NOT determine his/her own fate - A Jury does. His client is GG and that crime was based out of the US.

So if a jury had to believe one side over another (prosecutor vs defense) are they gonna believe a prosecutor or JB who has been known for lying? If I were a criminal i would run for the hills if JB told me he would represent me for free. i don't want his stink on my verdict.

If a jury were going to base their verdict on their like or dislike for an attorney, then that's a corrupt jury. I wouldn't do that, if Baez were trying a case in front of me.

Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
The really weird thing is I often wonder if he would have done himself and his career more good if she'd been found guilty and he'd been seen as "fighting the gallant fight" for this client. I think he would have gotten the media attention and $$ he seems to crave.

Yes he would have. An honest attorney trying to save a life becomes priceless to the Courts and the clients. I don't think she would have been given the Death Penalty, perhaps life. That would have made him worth mega bucks and a renowned and beloved attorney.

Looks like the P12 muffed it for him too. He must be as upset with them as we are for setting her free. Who picked that jury? :floorlaugh:

Why yes, I do. LOL

Well let's see. He has a history of financial problems all listed by the bar and that's the reason why he wasn't allowed in the bar for several several years. My goodness he couldn't even pay a measly $200/month for child support while he leased a Miata and defaulted on those payments as well. History is my backup. History as long as my arm of a man who isn't financially responsible and always spent more than his worth. Do I have direct proof-NO, but you don't either.

His actions say it all. He needs money He wants money. He's pissed FCA's videos are out there. He's at the end of the ropes.

What criminal in the US would ever hire JB with the taint of FCA still on him? That's a death sentence.

And, YES, I'm sure JB just wanted to get rid of his houses even though he had quite a bit of equity in those houses. Yes, you must be right. You have the proof. LOL!

I don't think he's doing well either; according to the OC clerk site Baez has only 10 clients with open older cases and that wouldn't seem enough to support himself/family & an office. So few clients is surprising because of all the publicity he got, but maybe he's as radioactive as Casey… lol. jmo.

myorangeclerk.com

Are you sure about that? That would mean that all defendants would have to automatically lie to their attorneys or have them act on it. I assume by act on it you mean tell the court of the confession.

No, the attorney is obligated to defend his client in the best way possible either by removing himself and assigning an attorney who hasn't heard the confession or simply defending his client to the best of his ability for the crime committed. The state still has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt etc.

The American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct states that a lawyer “shall not knowingly make a false statement of material fact.” In other words, lawyers aren’t supposed to lie--and they can be disciplined or even disbarred for doing so...

I don't think he's doing well either; according to the OC clerk site Baez has only 10 clients with open older cases and that wouldn't seem enough to support himself/family & an office. So few clients is surprising because of all the publicity he got, but maybe he's as radioactive as Casey… lol. jmo.

myorangeclerk.com

Thank You! I'm basing all of this on logical deduction. I do not have a crystal ball, but this is a man who was in cahoots with FCA and sold photos of Caylee for $$$$$ and even TL wanted nothing to do with it. Then he took his wife to Paris while he was in foreclosure THEN. This man has a history of financial problems so If I am making assumptions, so be it. I feel very comfortable in saying my thoughts were made from a logical deduction. Leopards don't change their spots especially this leopard.

If a jury were going to base their verdict on their like or dislike for an attorney, then that's a corrupt jury. I wouldn't do that, if Baez were trying a case in front of me.

Yeah, that's the whole point. Juries are not dependable. And like I said above it doesn't make it right but it happens everyday. I wouldn't take that risk.

Most juries are able to separate the defendant from his attorney. As a mature adult you should be able to do that. This is why it is important to get a jury that does not all think alike, as was the case in the P12. I doubt any judge will make that mistake again because they appeared to be too detached. Not willing to make an effort to check over all the evidence when they admitted they had questions. And while the judge's instructions were clearly written out I doubt they bother to check them either. jmo

myorangeclerk.com

JB can wallow in the smugness of the travesty that occured in mid-2011 to free KC but :waitasec: what have you done for me lately?

JB was thrust into the limelight these past few years but is now under the spotlight ... he needs to deliver. You are only as good as your last success. JB needs to be a Strategic Thinker and General and leverage the opportunity.

Sure JB has represented GG in Aruba but that was more of a U.S.-based PR thing than anything.

JB has built a Baez Law Practice with some of his own staff but ... as the figurehead he needs to bring in enough business to sustain and grow that Practice. Hmmmm? Focus? Distracted by someone? Didn't pan out?

There were comments pre-trial that a DP case can bankrupt a Practice and you need to be careful what you wish for. While JB leant heavily on CM and his resources I also think this took its toll on the Baez Law Firm. This was too big a case for JB to handle even though he offset the cost/risk/gain.

The mistake that I think JB made was that he remained tied to his 'cash cow' KC in the expectation of a big pay day and to ride off into the media talking head sunset. Maybe he can still translate that into a win for him personally but I think it was done at the expense of his Baez Law Firm.

JB has rolled the dice but unlike KC who was set free, JB's path is not necessarily paved with gold. We shall see. IMO

Yeah, that's the whole point. Juries are not dependable. And like I said above it doesn't make it right but it happens everyday. I wouldn't take that risk.

If a defendant is going to weigh a proven successful defense attorney against whether members of a jury even know who he is, let alone whether they will base their decision on their like/dislike for him, I think the defendant will chose the proven successful defense attorney.

-/
\
And...Why did Baez keep insisting she was a MISSING child for so long?
And...Why did Baez(supposedly) tell DC not to call the police if he found a body?

Just questions that make you go..HMMMM... Those stories of KC's must have changed numerous times in three whole years.

He knew the entire time that Caylee was dead and he had a darn good idea where she was. He led EVERYONE on a wild goose chase from Puerto Rico to California. He and Cindy together have cost the State of Florida millions of dollars.

HE is disgusting...amoral and isn't even smart. I don't think he had won any cases prior to this one....and this was lucky that he got to pick a jury from a very liberal area of Florida who wouldn't kill a fly, no less a young woman.

He had AF up there trying the case before it started. She planted the seed and led the jury to believe a guilty verdict would put FCA to death....which wasn't true. I don't think she should have been given that much leeway.

After she briefed the jurors and they moved the table to face them, I became highly concerned. I still didn't think that ANY group of twelve to seventeen could be led astray together. Placing that table, though, was a strategic move and it played off in spades. They knew FCA could act and I think they were passing her paper to tell her what to do during the trial. That is the reason they wanted the table moved ... So people wouldn't see their prompts.

I feel it was an atrocity of the legal system...that they let this sliver of a man get away with lying to the media about Caylee, telling the police she was alive, and finally showcasing George as a pedophile to the entire nation. He has no shame.

Then there is the other one who flips the media, not once, but twice...who told us he gets the money from donations and then gives it to FCA. IOW, he is hiding her income.

JB was thrust into the limelight these past few years but is now under the spotlight ... he needs to deliver. You are only as good as your last success.

respectfully snipped

Ooh... good one. :yes:

Why do you say they are not dependable and what are you basing it on? I've been on a jury and have friends who also have been called a number of times and they are very responsible and do not take their responsibilities lightly. You can't judge all juries by one the doesn't make it's decision the way we like.

Also, as a juror if you feel someone is on the jury and they have done something that violates the rules it is your duty to report it to the judge.

I would also say that most attorney's are honest and follow the rules. jmo

He knew going in that his name would always be linked to KC. It didn't phase him a bit, and I'm sure he has no regrets. I have to agree with solace... the guy won. He's the dirtiest kind of defense attorney, and he always will be. I don't think he's unhappy. He knew what he was doing then, and he knows what he's doing now.

I think he was naiive to some extent but only at first. At first he probably honestly believed FCA when she said Caylee had been abducted.

After that, when the case became sensational, he was "all in" and after fame and fortune in the worst kind of way.

If a defendant is going to weigh a proven successful defense attorney against whether members of a jury even know who he is, let alone whether they will base their decision on their like/dislike for him, I think the defendant will chose the proven successful defense attorney.
I would imagine if the defendant was a typical criminal type, he may not be looking any further than a familiar name. He probably wouldn't be thinking about things like jury selection and how a potential jury's personal feelings toward JB are.

hmmm...maybe it's just a coinkidink but No Way Jose might prefer moving and practicing in Miami where he knows that Jeff Ashton does not have a great chance of being elected the next State Attorney!

RR

I would imagine if the defendant was a typical criminal type, he may not be looking any further than a familiar name. He probably wouldn't be thinking about things like jury selection and how a potential jury's personal feelings toward JB are.

Bingo. Beggars can't be choosers.

A fool and his money are soon.parted? I am thinking drawing straws would be the best way to determine the ****** fool.

It was painfully obvious reading the depositions for this entire case that Jeff and Linda had not one ounce of respect for JB. I'm with Jeff and Linda.

It was painfully obvious reading the depositions for this entire case that Jeff and Linda had not one ounce of respect for JB. I'm with Jeff and Linda.

Yes ... As veterans I am sure that JA and LDB have crossed swords with many defense attorney's as worthy opponents but JB was a whole different act. It was clear that the frustration and reactions were not because JB was giving them a run for their money, they are well used to that but more the shenanigans and gaming that went on. I think they were truly stunned and because HHJBP wanted to preclude an appeal or mistrial that he got away with it.

Remember that the DT were also seeking a mistrial so that they could delay, regroup based on the SA case in chief and, seek a re-trial.

The SA were playing with fire and given a DP case it gave the advantage to the DT.

Why do you say they are not dependable and what are you basing it on? I've been on a jury and have friends who also have been called a number of times and they are very responsible and do not take their responsibilities lightly. You can't judge all juries by one the doesn't make it's decision the way we like.

Also, as a juror if you feel someone is on the jury and they have done something that violates the rules it is your duty to report it to the judge.

I would also say that most attorney's are honest and follow the rules. jmo

Pinellas 12. I didn't say all, but the P12 broke the law from the get go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back