Cell Phone, Location and Mapping the Route

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was giving some thought tonight about the timeline, and something occurred to me that I don't think anyone has thought of before.

According to the news conference Q&A session on May 10th, TB's cell phone was turned off 'shortly after 10 pm'.

Hamilton Police Press Conference - Update on Tim Bosma (missing person) for May 10, 2013 - YouTube

Going from memory (can't find exact links) TB and the accused left TB's home at approx 9:20. So the phone was shut off about 40 minutes after.

Now...if your spouse went out on a test drive, how long would it be before you got a little worried? 5 min? 15 min? 30? 40?

My answer was 30. But 40 would also be an expected amount of time. Anyway, I was just thinking that perhaps the accused didn't realize of forgot that TB had a cell phone on him, and shortly after 10, SB called TB to find out where he was..(or maybe someone else called).

The accused are surprised by the ringing phone, panic, turn it off in a hurry and chuck it out the window.

Just a theory, but certainly plausible imo.

What if TB got spooked by whatever was happening in/outside the Truck
and started a 911 call but didn't say anything, just kept it exposed enough.
to recorded what happened in/out of the vehicle. Might explain why
LE responded so quik. "Dear if anything happens I'll just dial 911"

Napper505

Re the phone. It still bothers me the Kijiji ad when they were looking for TB said "even if you find a phone on the ground." Wtf. I still can't erase that from my mind.

Re the phone. It still bothers me the Kijiji ad when they were looking for TB said "even if you find a phone on the ground." Wtf. I still can't erase that from my mind.

That little tidbit has been bugging me since I heard about it as well. Makes me think differently about the whole thing.

That little tidbit has been bugging me since I heard about it as well. Makes me think differently about the whole thing.
Ohhh do you want to share your thoughts??
Here I thought I was one of the only ones that part bugged.

Ohhh do you want to share your thoughts??
Here I thought I was one of the only ones that part bugged.

I would like to share my thoughts (and perhaps i should post them on the alternate theories thread) but i need to 1st find the news article i read a few weeks ago that supports why i think this way. i will post when i find it.

Does anyone still have a copy of that Kijiji 'ad'? And I'm super curious to hear that theory too.

I thought from the start that SB might have called him and that was when they realized 'crap...the phone'....but then everyone kept saying that the phone was turned off a mile from the house, so I had dismissed.

As for the police finding the phone, I don't think that needs to be taken literally. The police likely located the phone because of a tip they received...ie person finding the phone calls it in.

Does anyone still have a copy of that Kijiji 'ad'? And I'm super curious to hear that theory too.

snip ... The police likely located the phone because of a tip they received...ie person finding the phone calls it in.

Here's a thumbnail of the ad

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9447530&postcount=22"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - MEDIA, DOCUMENTS, TIMELINE **NO Discussion**[/ame]

I could be wrong, but, I thought earlier on, that someone reported that the cell phone was found by a woman who put the battery back into the phone and called the home number. Does anyone remember this story??

As for the police finding the phone, I don't think that needs to be taken literally. The police likely located the phone because of a tip they received...ie person finding the phone calls it in
That is correct as per det sgt Kavanaugh's presser -
"Late yesterday afternoon Mr Bosma's cell phone was recovered in an industrial area of West Brantford, last night police conducted a ground search of this area "

Yes found that very odd wording myself. Here is a copy of the ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotr
On Kijiji
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-communit...AdIdZ482912584

And this one in the cars & trucks section:

Quote:
2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck
Please keep a look out for this truck. Our friend had it up on here
2 nights ago 3 guys came to look at it in ancaster 2 got dropped off
And the other guy said he would be back. Our friend tim bosma took the other
2 guys for a test drive near the fair grounds in ancaster. No one ever came back
Thay was 2 nights ago. Lisence plate 726 7zw. Please call police even
If u find a phone on the ground. Thanks go to the hamilton police services facebook page

Also it was stated that there was 3 guys. Again-odd. Am I correct in saying that the police are not sure if there was a 3rd person ?

I could be wrong, but, I thought earlier on, that someone reported that the cell phone was found by a woman who put the battery back into the phone and called the home number. Does anyone remember this story??

That's a rumour which I think originated on Facebook.

See Kimster's post here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9493484&postcount=1121"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Suspect #2: Mark Smich *Charged* 1stDeg Murder 22 May 2013[/ame]

Why is that odd - asking people to search and mentioning that even finding a phone is important? I don't find it odd at all, but logical.

When TBs family and friends were first searching for TB, they learned from police that Bosma’s phone was turned off within a mile of the house. So they started searching.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/05/18/tim_bosma_the_painful_search_for_a_missing_man.html

Based on what the police said, one of the first things I would think of would be that the phone might have been tossed, and to look for it.

As for the Kijiji ad specifically mentioning 3 guys, I don't find a great deal of significance there, either.

Imagine the flurry of activity in that first 24 hours among TB's friends and family. Texts and emails flew through the tight-knit Dutch community in rural Ancaster that morning, and by 7 a.m. some two dozen friends gathered. http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/05/18/tim_bosma_the_painful_search_for_a_missing_man.html

I think it's quite feasible that some details were skewed in the very beginning as the searchers rushed to get the word out there.

You may be right about the cell phone and the Kijiji ad, I hadn't thought of it that way before. But making a mistake about how many men came to look at the truck doesn't jive with me. SB is the only person that made a statement to LE during the initial interview about what happened that night. It's highly unlikely she got the number of men wrong when it was so fresh in her mind, not to mention LE ran with the 3 men theory for a while. If it was a mistake, SB would have corrected LE early on. But that's JMO.

Right, but I'm thinking of the initial search for TB by friends and family. SB tells so and so the story, who tells the next friend, who tells the next friend who is the one who helps out by posting the ad. Somewhere in there, the number gets changed to 3.
I think LE's suspicion of at least 3 people would be mostly based on the involvement of the second vehicle.

ETA: In the beginning, I think LE only mentioned 2 suspects. The suspicion of 3 or more didn't come until later. Only mentions 2 suspects in this article from May 11: Police have described the second suspect as white, in his early 20s, around 5-foot-9 with a small-to-medium build and dark hair. They say he was seen wearing a red-hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ppeared-after-taking-strangers-on-test-drive/

So, according to police, his phone was turned off approximately 40 minutes later within a mile of his house. Seems strange they'd be asking people to check video footage in Brantford between 9:30-10:30. You'd think it would be closer to 10:30 onwards. Unless, they did circle back from Brantford to near Tim's place? My head hurts.

I think it's quite feasible that some details were skewed in the very beginning as the searchers rushed to get the word out there.
Oh yes I agree that it is feasible that some details were skewed. It is just that the ad said "the other guy said he would be back " . That was the odd bit, that they would quote a speculative thought.

You may be right about the cell phone and the Kijiji ad, I hadn't thought of it that way before. But making a mistake about how many men came to look at the truck doesn't jive with me. SB is the only person that made a statement to LE during the initial interview about what happened that night. It's highly unlikely she got the number of men wrong when it was so fresh in her mind, not to mention LE ran with the 3 men theory for a while. If it was a mistake, SB would have corrected LE early on. But that's JMO.

IMO, that was most likely an assumption made by some of the friends and family after initial discussions about two guys that walked up the driveway... If two guys walked up and there was no vehicle in sight, it would seem most logical that someone had dropped the two off. If I recall correctly, that was even speculated here very early on. This wasn't a report from LE, it was a plea from a panicked friend looking for help finding their buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968