Found Deceased Channel Islands - Emiliano Sala 28, pilot David Ibbotson, 60, missing plane, Alderney, 21 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Families continue to await identification
Families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson are still waiting for the body recovered to be formally identified.

The body was brought to Portland in Dorset by the Geo Ocean III boat, and taken on a stretcher to an ambulance, before being transferred to the coroner.

The statement released at the time said:

“The coroner will investigate the circumstances of this death supported by Dorset police. A postmortem examination will be held in due course.

“While formal identification is yet to take place, the families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been updated and will continue to be supported by specially-trained family liaison officers, during this difficult time.”

Plane body identified as footballer Sala

The body recovered from the wreckage of a crashed plane is that of Cardiff City player Emiliano Sala, Dorset Police have said.

Sala, 28, was travelling to Cardiff in a plane piloted by David Ibbotson, which went missing over the English Channel on 21 January.

The body was recovered late on Wednesday after the wreckage was found on Sunday morning.

Dorset Police confirmed the identification on Thursday night.

So where's David? Did he survive the ditching and get out and then drown? Or is he still in the plane but they can't see him for some reason? Or has his body floated out? Would they have been sitting side by side or was Emiliano in the back, like a taxi? So many questions!

Emiliano Sala's family says search for missing pilot must continue

The family of the footballer Emiliano Salahas called for the authorities to continue to search for missing pilot David Ibbotson as the world of football came to terms with the confirmation of the striker’s death.

All players will wear black armbands at Premier League games this weekend and there will be a minute’s silence before the game between Cardiff City, the club he had signed for before the plane crash, and Southampton.

[...]

So where's David? Did he survive the ditching and get out and then drown? Or is he still in the plane but they can't see him for some reason? Or has his body floated out? Would they have been sitting side by side or was Emiliano in the back, like a taxi? So many questions!

It seems maybe the currents took him out since a part was open- maybe Emi was stuck and thats why he wasnt pulled out by the water or I was wondering to if they just cant see him? I am still confused at how the plane is not torn up - was the pilot able to land in some sort of fashion that it was like a soft landing ... But harsh enough for it to tear up a part for water to pour in and sink it fast yet soft enough like a landing that doesnt shred it or even shred the people inside ?

Wonder why he used a false name- just didnt want to be acknowledged I guess - kind gesture - not sure how they will go about finding his body if its not in the plane? Or is there speculation it might be inside plane but unseen?

Mr Ibbotson could be anywhere in the ocean and it is extremely unlikely they are going to find him. I can appreciate how devastating this must be for his family and why they want to search for him and don’t want to give up.

I was hoping David would be in the plane out of sight, or even under it on the seabed.

A couple of (possibly daft) questions - do pilots and passengers wear seatbelts and which side is drivers side?

I was hoping David would be in the plane out of sight, or even under it on the seabed.

A couple of (possibly daft) questions - do pilots and passengers wear seatbelts and which side is drivers side?
I would of guessed they both put their seatbelts on once the plane was going down??? If it landed and didnt break apart could he of been alive upon hitting water or would it of still been to extremely harsh for anyone to survive - Im having a difficult time comprehending how it landed on water mostly intact. The Ibbotsons are doing a GoFund me and I am wondering how that works in trying to find him if he is not in the plane?

The pilot in command normally flies from the left seat. Newer airplanes have both shoulder and lap belts for the front seats, and just a lap belt for the rear seats. It is unknown if Emiliano was seated in the front or back at least from what I have read. It's not uncommon for the seat belts to be compromised in a high-speed impact and the body found outside the wreckage. When I flew charter, sometimes the passengers wanted to ride up front to see better.

It seems maybe the currents took him out since a part was open- maybe Emi was stuck and thats why he wasnt pulled out by the water or I was wondering to if they just cant see him? I am still confused at how the plane is not torn up - was the pilot able to land in some sort of fashion that it was like a soft landing ... But harsh enough for it to tear up a part for water to pour in and sink it fast yet soft enough like a landing that doesnt shred it or even shred the people inside ?
You can't tell by the one photo that was published if the front of the aircraft was torn off or the wings. Did they publish more picture?

You can't tell by the one photo that was published if the front of the aircraft was torn off or the wings. Did they publish more picture?
No I have only seen the one photo and am mostly refering to the comments David Mearns made saying he was very surprised it was all intact and not a debri field -I think there was a torn area near the rear fuselage and although I never read it someone commented it looked like the door was open or maybe they think it looks like the door was open.

Edit in - copy paste -
EMILIANO SALA’S wrecked plane was found yesterday at the bottom of the English channel by search and rescue teams combing the water for traces of the Cardiff City forward and his pilot David Ibbotson. The plane wreckage was found mostly intact, according to rescue chiefs.

Emiliano Sala plane SHOCK underwater discovery: Plane found almost INTACT on seabed

Last edited:
Missing Pilot's Family 'Know He's Gone But Want Him Back'

The family of missing pilot David Ibbotson are determined to find the father’s body after Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala’s body was found.

upload_2019-2-11_15-36-39.jpeg

[...]

Speaking on Good Morning Britain, Mr Ibbotson’s wife Nora said: ‘We’re still holding on a little bit. Obviously we do know he’s gone but we want him back.

upload_2019-2-11_15-35-42.jpeg

[...]

The pilot’s daughter Danielle told the programme, in tears, she repeatedly rang his mobile phone when told by police the aircraft was missing.

She said: ‘He was amazing, I was so lucky to have him as a dad.

‘I know it might take a long time but I don’t want this to just be it.’

upload_2019-2-11_15-36-27.jpeg

[...]

Emiliano Sala's cause of death revealed after plane crash autopsy
Sala's inquest has been has been opened and adjourned in Bournemouth as authorities continue to investigate the crash as the star flew from Nantes to Cardiff.

It was revealed his cause of death was head and trunk injuries – and his body had to identified from his fingerprints.

Investigators believe it will take up to a year to establish exactly what happened to Sala and the pilot David Ibbotson, who has not yet been found.

Emotional funeral for Sala held in his Argentine hometown

Family, friends, supporters and former teammates paid tribute to striker Emiliano Sala in his small Argentine hometown on Saturday, almost four weeks after he died when the plane he was in crashed into the English Channel.

The 28-year-old Sala's body received a hero's welcome in Progreso where much of the grieving population paid their last respects to their soccer idol before the body was taken away for cremation.

[...]

Emotional funeral for Sala held in his Argentine hometown

Family, friends, supporters and former teammates paid tribute to striker Emiliano Sala in his small Argentine hometown on Saturday, almost four weeks after he died when the plane he was in crashed into the English Channel.

The 28-year-old Sala's body received a hero's welcome in Progreso where much of the grieving population paid their last respects to their soccer idol before the body was taken away for cremation.

[...]

So so so sad :( The mourning photos of the family are heart wrenching.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya
Back