Child directs airplanes over radio transmissions at JFK

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not saying he didn't do wrong. But I don't believe he should lose his job. I think it was very inappropriate but this was not at JFK or ATL or another big airport. I think the father probably thought it was a safe time to allow his child to do this. Was it smart? NO. But I don't think we know the whole story. I think he should be punished (dock his pay, days off) but I don't think he needs to be fired.

Am I misunderstanding something? This was at JFK.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/05/air.traffic.child/?hpt=T2

(snip)
The incidents occurred on succeeding days last month at JFK, the Federal Aviation Administration said this week, and the controller and the supervisor have been placed on paid administrative leave

I have no problem with this at all. I think it's awesome the kids got to experience something like this type of job. I work for CBP and we have a highly secure building. We do radar ops and watch all aircraft/boats all over the country and speak with various agents and authorities about everything going on from smuggling to incorrect tail numbers. We have liasions from FAA, BP, ICE, Mexico Police and various other agencies. We even have a UAS pod set up in our parking lot. We have been blessed to have a bring your family to work day. The kids get to sit behind radar consoles and watch and see what's happening. If a situation was to get way intense we would be ordered to vacate the floor. The control tower is an extremely controlled environment and the kids were simply repeating the commands, not actually coming up with these commands by themselves. The pilots did not seem to mind at all. Plus the pilots have these cool instruments in their cockpit that helps them control the plane and even this little alarm that goes off if they are withing a certain amount of yards of another plane. I see no problem here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayericson1026
Back