Chloroform in the trunk of caseys car

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an interesting bit of info about chloroform and I'm not sure if it's been discussed here yet.

Chloroform is used for DNA isolation. I spoke to someone who actually works with it for these purposes and she said if it was used in the trunk, it would definitely still be there. Could that be why there is chloroform in the trunk?

Just a thought.

Phenol-chloroform extraction is a liquid-liquid extraction technique in biochemistry and molecular biology for isolating DNA, RNA and protein. where equal volumes of a phenol:chloroform mixture and the aqueous sample are mixed, forming a biphasic mixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanidinium_thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform_extraction

It was mentioned early on in the forum, however, that wouldn't explain why there were searches on chloroform found on Casey's laptop.

HI Peace. Did you ever see Cider House Rules? It's pretty old school I think, but probably making a comeback.

Hey JBean! I thought that was Ether....is that the same as chloroform? Just curious :)

Oh you may be right HE. They are not the same, but the principle sure is.

Thanks JBean! I was just curious. I dont know much about either myself! LOL
I did like that movie though! :)

Thanks JBean! I was just curious. I dont know much about either myself! LOL
I did like that movie though! :)
I probably was thinking it was chloroform due to the way he adminstered it. Probably both were used as early anesthesias. I love that movie too. I keep tying Casey's behaviors to the movies because I think she had an imaginery life that she related to the movies.

I probably was thinking it was chloroform due to the way he adminstered it. Probably both were used as early anesthesias. I love that movie too. I keep tying Casey's behaviors to the movies because I think she had an imaginery life that she related to the movies.

LOL...I know what you mean! I keep doing the same thing with the movies because thats the only way I can even attempt to get inside Caseys mind! I compare what shes been doing with things I've seen on various movies.

LOL...I know what you mean! I keep doing the same thing with the movies because thats the only way I can even attempt to get inside Caseys mind! I compare what shes been doing with things I've seen on various movies.
I think if we research the movies carefully we can detrmine where she put caylee. jmho of course.

That's chlorine, not chloroform. Chloroform wouldn't be used in pools. It's not even legal to buy chloroform except under certain conditions, as it's a carcinogen and is a fairly dangerous chemical.
----------------

I googled chloroform and was amazed to see how dangerous it is.It was used years ago in a cleaning fluid,I thought it was.There are a couple articles in referrence to Caylees' case.I was surprised to find it is a carcinogen and was used for cleaning clothing.Nore

Earlier a show was on the history channel and I only caught the last 5-10 minutes but it was talking about chloroform use during the civil war ... I tried to look at their web site to see what had ended at 8 central but couldnt figure it out. It was a sedating device used during surgical procedures in the field.

Kathy

If chloform is a cleaning solvent....

Would tattoo artists use it to clean up mistake?

Did some reading, trying to be careful what sights I clicked (jeesh!), just for general information. Chloroform is an abused inhalant, thought to enhance s*xual experience. It is found in small amounts in air fresheners, cleaning products, dryer sheets, etc., and large amounts can be found in various industrial/manufacturing settings. Without getting technical, chloroform is used basically to break down over-the-counter meds containing pseudoephedrine to make methamphetamine.

More generally, inhalants cannot be detected by blood or urine testing unless its done while the person is actually under the effects. Inhalants do not remain in the body:

http://www.pamf.org/teen/healthinfo/index.cfmsection=healthinfo&page=article&sgml_id=uq2427

My guess is that this non-detection would make it attractive to people who must drug test for employment, or are under probation or supervision.

I just don't think she would have inhaled it. lke I said before - I can't wrap my head around this chloroform stuff! this girl was no chemist. what the F was she doing with chloroform?!? ARRRGHHH.... is this frustrating anyone else? it just doesn't jibe with the rest of her MO at all.

If chloform is a cleaning solvent....

Would tattoo artists use it to clean up mistake?

I am engaged to a tat artist. His answer to that in a resounding NO, too dangerous around an open wound, which a tattoo is, basically.
Also when a tat artist makes a mistake, the only thing that will fix it is covering it up with another tattoo.

I just don't think she would have inhaled it. lke I said before - I can't wrap my head around this chloroform stuff! this girl was no chemist. what the F was she doing with chloroform?!? ARRRGHHH.... is this frustrating anyone else? it just doesn't jibe with the rest of her MO at all.
Up until now, the only thing I knew about chloroform came from the movies. Movies are the only reason I have any idea what chloroform can do. I truly believe movies are part of casey's make believe world.

I am surprised that Nancy Grace and some others are really pushing the theory that Casey was actually buying chloroform for the purpose of killing Caylee. Why would someone go to the trouble to obtain chloroform to smother a child when it could be done so easily with something else. And the drugging theory, why get chloroform to drug a child when a person could just use Children's Benedryl or so many other easily obtained drugs? Doesn't make sense. To me the theory of having chloroform in the trunk for drug manufacturing or some other purpose and then fumes accidentally harming the child in the back seat seems more plausible, not that I think that's what necessarily happened. Someone could have been using chloroform in the trunk to remove evidence, whether having to do with Caylee or not. Have they ever said when Casey or whoever was using the laptop was supposedly researching chloroform online? The timing of that will be important.

and of course chloroform fumes could have wound up there other ways, cleaner combinations, gas fumes mixed with other things, etc. I wonder if the plastics and materials in a trunk can ever emit chloroform fumes if cleaned with certain cleaners or if gas gets on them.

maybe getting it for a friend who manufactures drugs? I can't imagine it either. It doesn't really fit. More confusion and mystery in this case.

I know inhalant abuse has really increased in recent decades. Are there any kind of "poppers" (small prepackaged inhalant doses used in clubs and stuff) that contain any chloroform?

I believe the way it read was the chloroform searches were found on the "anthony family computer" as in-not casey's laptop, but a computer ithers used. It's possible that the chloroform was the "cleaner" george said he found in the trunk, and he searched the internet to find out something about it. I doubt he was a stranger to chloroform, but perhaps he was looking to see what casey could have been using it for. They didn't take their computers for a few days after they picked up and cleaned out the car. I also think that GA took the car to a car wash, that car looks waaaaaay too clean for a car that has been siting in a tow yard for 2 weeks!

maybe getting it for a friend who manufactures drugs? I can't imagine it either. It doesn't really fit. More confusion and mystery in this case.

Sort of off-topic? Obtaining ingredients for meth may possibly explain odd shopping habits. In my state, there are limits on the amount of pseudoephedrine you can purchase at one time, and you must provide ID and sign for it. You must then wait a period of time before you can purchase more. This is supposed to prevent meth makers from obtaining enough pseudoephedrine to "cook" meth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!