Chuck and Judith Cox file for custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is funny, too, what children remember. When I was 2 my mother divorced my father. I remember him coming to pick me up and I did not want to leave with him. I remember sitting in the bus seat and looking at my shoes which I could see because they only went a little past the end of the seat so I had to have been between 2 and 3. My father liked to stop at the bars on the way home. My mother would tell him don't take her into any bars and he would say he wouldn't. He did and would tell me not to tell my mother where I was. I did not know where I was but when my mother asked I would tell her what I saw and it was very detailed. She never asked were you in a bar she would say what did you and daddy do. Kids are honest and there are ways to get to the truth without asking them direct questions.

I think over the years we have learned a lot about talking with children. At one time children were ignored in not being part of the grieving process because they did not appear to be affected. They are and they do need to grieve and need to talk to experts about why their mother is no longer with them. jmo

I sure hope they didn't witness that horror either. Yeah, I don't think the 2 year old will remember anything. If either child was traumatized by what they saw, I think that sticks in the memory for life. If something was routine to them, they probably would not recall that particular event. I was 3 yrs old when my mother went into the hospital to have my baby sister. I didn't know this - I only knew she was gone (back in the 60's when people didn't talk to kids much) and I was terrified and screaming in the kitchen because a woman friend of my father's (who was cold and I did not like) was making us dinner. They both told me to just shut up. Anyway.......I remember that event so clearly and the smell of the spaghetti cooking and what they said and what they did because I was scared because my mother was suddenly gone. So if the older one had any fear or worry about his mother that night from what he saw or heard, I think that will stick with him, and he will eventually be able to tell it under the right counseling.

I was 2 when my sister was born, I remember talking to my mother on the phone, staying with relatives and things that went on in their home. Both boys could have plenty to say about what happened to Susan, especially if they witnessed her being assaulted or dumped in the desert.

Kids can also mix up memories,combine two separate events into one,etc.....and of course ,everyone is different.
Regardless of what Josh's mother says ,those boys cannot possibly be "fine" after their mother falls off the face of the earth and they've had to live with SP for two years.
Maybe she's trying to convince herself that her kids were okay without her and living with SP. JMO

Josh Powell’s mom: ‘Josh is a loving and very engaged father’

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52682501-78/powell-josh-wrote-alina.html.csp

"I have been relieved and pleased to note how very well Charlie and Braden are doing, despite the trauma and sadness of missing their beloved mother. They seem to be continuing to thrive."

Michael Powell wrote that his sister, Graves, has made false claims about the family and said her comments about Steve Powell stem from a longing to "paint my father as an abuser in order to ‘settle the score.’"

Oh, and it turns out, he's in jail awaiting trial with charges of being an actual abuser.

I am shocked, but not shocked that Josh's mom wrote a letter in support of him to the court. She of all people knows how dangerous Steve is. She knows what kind of brain washing happens in that house. Has she visited the boys in WA? If so, when and for how long? On the other hand, she probably is just trying to keep a relationship with her son. How does she feel that he seems to be just as anti-mormon as his dad?

I would love to know what Josh said to his mom in that video where one of the boys is reaching out, and Josh glares at his mom and says something.

I read in this article that the boys seem well adjusted. I experienced severe abuse as a young child and I still remember a school counselor telling my parents I was well adjusted. In fact, what it meant was that I was able to keep all the family secrets, the abuse and my own problems out of the public eye as everyone expected me to do. I hope the courts don't go by this type of observations. They can be very destructive and certainly don't tell the whole story.

JMO

"I have been relieved and pleased to note how very well Charlie and Braden are doing, despite the trauma and sadness of missing their beloved mother. They seem to be continuing to thrive."

It sounds to me like she is basing this on one visit and on hearing the boys playing in the background during phone calls. Oh and she knew about the activities the boys did with their dad. But there are things missing from her account. She never mentions loving. The boys loving JP or JP loving the boys. I would guess she has to try to come out on JP's side, in case he does get the boys back. Jennifer has come out strongly against JP getting the kids, so if she didn't come out on JP's side that side of the family wouldn't have any contact with the kids.

MP indicates he is no longer living in the home? And he indicates that JP and AP are now employed? Without the kids I guess they have more time to fill.

JP evidently came up with a plan to counter the "Mormon church influences." The pastor says that he has attended services "several" times with the boys. I'd like to know when he began taking them to services and how many times they attended in the last two years.

So most of the declarations appear to be short term or limited term observations.

"As a parent, I do not have any problem with my children spending time with the Powells in social situations," Slaughter wrote.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52682501-78/powell-josh-wrote-alina.html.csp?page=2

Very interesting wording. "In social situations."

MO is based on the snippets quoted in the article of course. I would to see the whole declarations.

According to the article, Jennifer has said that JP is possibly showing signs of mental illness. I wonder if she is basing that on personal/phone contact or on what she is seeing in media?

According to Susan's mother there was evidence that JP tried to influence the boys in their opinion of the gf.

Michael Powell wrote that his sister, Graves, has made false claims about the family and said her comments about Steve Powell stem from a longing to "paint my father as an abuser in order to ‘settle the score.’"

Oh, and it turns out, he's in jail awaiting trial with charges of being an actual abuser.

Good point

How interesting. TP's opinion is a bit confusing. Does she visit the house or do they come to visit her? Does she really know about the science projects, the deck building, the trips to the zoo because she believes what JP tell her via the phone or has she witnessed some of this first hand? Perhaps, I'm confused because I don't believe a thing the P's say.

I stopped at this quote from JP in the article:

"My father was recently removed from our home and charged with crimes. The recent chain of events within our family household was totally unexpected despite what the media has represented."

Yeah, the media said it would be you. But don't worry, your day is coming.

Once again, I am so glad the boys are out of there and with Susans family.

"Josh has a stable job and a good income, and John and Alina both have incomes as well. Alina has been helping to care for the children and is still available to do that."

Can anyone verify if Josh is employed? I thought he had been unemployed since moving to Washington.

Aren't both John and Alina disabled? And their income is from SSI disability?

How interesting. TP's opinion is a bit confusing. Does she visit the house or do they come to visit her? Does she really know about the science projects, the deck building, the trips to the zoo because she believes what JP tell her via the phone or has she witnessed some of this first hand? Perhaps, I'm confused because I don't believe a thing the P's say.

I stopped at this quote from JP in the article:

"My father was recently removed from our home and charged with crimes. The recent chain of events within our family household was totally unexpected despite what the media has represented."

Yeah, the media said it would be you. But don't worry, your day is coming.

Once again, I am so glad the boys are out of there and with Susans family.

On page two of the article it says that TP has only seen the children once since they moved to Washington. But she has heard them in the background while on the phone. She does keep in contact with all her kids in the home.

According to the article, Jennifer has said that JP is possibly showing signs of mental illness. I wonder if she is basing that on personal/phone contact or on what she is seeing in media?

...Interesting..., is she helping by already planting the idea/seed for an insanity plead for a future murder trial, JMO...

This is from that article;

Two of Alina Powell’s friends, 26-year-old Ana Ramos of Kent, Wash. and 31-year-old Kenneth Bentley of Vero Beach, Fla., filed declarations in support of the Powell family. They testified about visiting the home and called the Powells an "all-American family."

Powell neighbor Timothy Atkins, 37, who is a pastor, also wrote to the court stating Josh Powell appears to be a competent father.

"Josh and his boys attended several times the worship services at the church my family currently ministers and serves every Sunday," Atkins wrote in his declaration.

Some things bother me a lot about that. IIRC, The Sister Graves said that SP showed her *advertiser censored* when she was 11. She never claimed abuse. SP has a major *advertiser censored* stash including child *advertiser censored*, I highly doubt that this is a lie and if it is it's probably not far from the total truth, JMO.

I'm assuming that Ana Ramos and Kenneth Bentley are writing about the house in Washington. Appearance shmearance, we KNOW that they never have been the "All American Family". After hearing about SP's child *advertiser censored*, it disgusts me that they can say that.. They aren't going to be invited in while child abuse or child *advertiser censored* is displayed around the house, JMO.

Why is going to church deemed to be a sign of a good family? There are a lot of parishoners, pastors, priests and others associated with churches that have done horrendous crimes. I don't go to church, a friend of mine has a family that doesn't go to church and I'd put us up against some of the church goers any day. Going to church means nothing. Living a life of caring does. JMO

One more question, is Michael Powell the kid with political aspirations?

"Natanya Slaughter, 33, was also asked to filed a declaration on behalf of Josh Powell. She wrote that she met Alina and the boys at a local YMCA and said Charlie and Braden seemed well-adjusted."

Ya gotta be kidding me. The only non-family member he can come up with for a statement has the last name SLAUGHTER. I'm thinking JP wrote all of these statements.

"Josh has a stable job and a good income, and John and Alina both have incomes as well. Alina has been helping to care for the children and is still available to do that."

Can anyone verify if Josh is employed? I thought he had been unemployed since moving to Washington.

Aren't both John and Alina disabled? And their income is from SSI disability?

I think John's is probably SSI, but I was under the impression Alina is ex-military of some sort, so maybe she gets a stipend for attending school? He didn't say they were *employed.*

I am dying to know what/where Josh's employment is!

This is from that article;

Two of Alina Powell’s friends, 26-year-old Ana Ramos of Kent, Wash. and 31-year-old Kenneth Bentley of Vero Beach, Fla., filed declarations in support of the Powell family. They testified about visiting the home and called the Powells an "all-American family."

Powell neighbor Timothy Atkins, 37, who is a pastor, also wrote to the court stating Josh Powell appears to be a competent father.

"Josh and his boys attended several times the worship services at the church my family currently ministers and serves every Sunday," Atkins wrote in his declaration.

Some things bother me a lot about that. IIRC, The Sister Graves said that SP showed her *advertiser censored* when she was 11. She never claimed abuse. SP has a major *advertiser censored* stash including child *advertiser censored*, I highly doubt that this is a lie and if it is it's probably not far from the total truth, JMO.

I'm assuming that Ana Ramos and Kenneth Bentley are writing about the house in Washington. Appearance shmearance, we KNOW that they never have been the "All American Family". After hearing about SP's child *advertiser censored*, it disgusts me that they can say that.. They aren't going to be invited in while child abuse or child *advertiser censored* is displayed around the house, JMO.

Why is going to church deemed to be a sign of a good family? There are a lot of parishoners, pastors, priests and others associated with churches that have done horrendous crimes. I don't go to church, a friend of mine has a family that doesn't go to church and I'd put us up against some of the church goers any day. Going to church means nothing. Living a life of caring does. JMO

One more question, is Michael Powell the kid with political aspirations?

Yes, he is. And I think he can kiss that goodbye. He is probably quite glad he is no longer living in the same state as his kooky family, much less the same household.

...Interesting..., is she helping by already planting the idea/seed for an insanity plead for a future murder trial, JMO...

She could be but I don't think so. She has come out strongly on the fact that she believes that JP was involved in Susan's disappearance and on that the boys need to be in the Cox's custody. I think she was making the observation solely as an additional reason the boys need to remain in the Cox's custody.

"Natanya Slaughter, 33, was also asked to filed a declaration on behalf of Josh Powell. She wrote that she met Alina and the boys at a local YMCA and said Charlie and Braden seemed well-adjusted."

Ya gotta be kidding me. The only non-family member he can come up with for a statement has the last name SLAUGHTER. I'm thinking JP wrote all of these statements.

I think they are really grasping at straws if the only non-family members they can get to vouch for them are a woman they have seen a couple times at the Y and a pastor who has seen them a church a few times. Where are the people who have known the family for years? Where are the teachers? Neighbors? Long time family friends who actually spend time with them at their house? Hmm. Nowhere, it seems.

I think it is foolish to take the word of TP who has not seen the boys, but is assessing them by their background noise over the telephone? And that is the best Josh can do for declarations to support his cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member