Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are going to place blame on the zoo then the federal government should be held accountable as well. The USDA is responsible for zoo inspections and according to them there were no violations of the Gorilla Walk as recent as April. That tells me that the gorilla enclosure was an approved enclosure. jmo

If we are going to place blame on the zoo then the federal government should be held accountable as well. The USDA is responsible for zoo inspections and according to them there were no violations of the Gorilla Walk as recent as April. That tells me that the gorilla enclosure was an approved enclosure. jmo

That's a great point IMO.

I'm just wondering why they didn't try the tranquilizer and have the shotgun loaded and ready incase he showed more agitation. I understand the boy could've been killed, and the tranquilizer takes five minutes to kick in, but if they had a shotgun ready and were prepared for a potential change in temperament could this have been prevented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still unable to figure out why no adult went over that fence to try to get to the boy before he fell. He was seen, and some adults were calling him to come back but no one went in after him. Why not? If the fence was so easy for an adult to scale, why did not one try to intervene? Apparently it all happened very fast and maybe they would not have caught him in time but it sounds like no one tried.

Not knowing what is behind that wire fence would be enough to keep me from going in after him. What if I slip and fall and accidentally push him in? I don't know what the ground is like or where I'm headed in a sense. I mean if I saw the drop and moat I probably wouldn't be risking the fact that I could now be in an area with 400+ pound animals and risking my own life from the fall or animal behavior. Guess the mom should've went in after him. Sounds harsh but the bystanders shouldn't be attacked bc they didn't jump into an area to save someone else's kid that didn't even go in after him herself.

You go after him, he jumps. Potentially you could be liable because now you are blamed for spooking him.
So, no thanks.

Nope. Kid was focused on his mission. I doubt he would have even heard someone come after him. I doubt he heard those calling him. He was too focused and he would not have been spooked. IMO.

I do admit there may not have been time for anyone to reach him before he got to the edge, but I still think someone could have tried. Maybe someone did and we just have not heard about it yet. Time will tell.

I'm just wondering why they didn't try the tranquilizer and have the shotgun loaded and ready incase he showed more agitation. I understand the boy could've been killed, and the tranquilizer takes five minutes to kick in, but if they had a shotgun ready and were prepared for a potential change in temperament could this have been prevented?

Other experts suggested keepers could have tried to negotiate with him by offering him his favorite food in exchange for the boy. He wasn't attacking the boy. He became agitated when people started screaming. They should have gotten people away from the enclosure (which they have done anyway). He would have calmed down eventually. Then offered him his favorite food in exchange for the child.

Nope. Kid was focused on his mission. I doubt he would have even heard someone come after him. I doubt he heard those calling him. He was too focused and he would not have been spooked. IMO.

I do admit there may not have been time for anyone to reach him before he got to the edge, but I still think someone could have tried. Maybe someone did and we just have not heard about it yet. Time will tell.

But people watching you going after the kid could have interpreted it that way. Basically if you went after the kid and failed to stop him, you could end up being blamed for kid ending up in the enclosure.

Not knowing what is behind that wire fence would be enough to keep me from going in after him. What if I slip and fall and accidentally push him in? I don't know what the ground is like or where I'm headed in a sense. I mean if I saw the drop and moat I probably wouldn't be risking the fact that I could now be in an area with 400+ pound animals and risking my own life from the fall or animal behavior. Guess the mom should've went in after him. Sounds harsh but the bystanders shouldn't be attacked bc they didn't jump into an area to save someone else's kid that didn't even go in after him herself.

I did not attack any bystanders! I just want to know why, if the barrier was so low that apparently an adult could just step over it, no one attempted. There may very well be good reason why not, and if that reason is that the barrier is in fact quite difficult to breach that fact should be made known.

I did not attack any bystanders! I just want to know why, if the barrier was so low that apparently an adult could just step over it, no one attempted. There may very well be good reason why not, and if that reason is that the barrier is in fact quite difficult to breach that fact should be made known.

I think it's plainly evident from the photos the barrier isn't all that difficult to breach.

Thanks to all for the links, pictures and opinions. From everything I have read, this was a tragic accident that ended the life of a beautiful endangered gorilla and a 4 yo child was saved from potential harm. Hindsight is 20/20 and it is easy for me to say that the mother should have kept a more watchful eye on her son and blame her. Then it is easy to blame the Zoo for not having 20 foot barbed wire fences or whatever in order to keep people out of the enclosure.

I think every parent has experienced a "moment" with their children. I live in a "glass house", so no stones from me. Hopefully, this tragedy will serve as a reminder to parents to be more vigilant and expose what can happen in a split second. Hopefully, Zoos will look at enclosures with a fresh set of eyes. IMO

I think everyone is missing my point on this issue. In situations like this, someone usually tries to help. That may or may not be a wise decision but someone will always try to help a kid in harm's way if at all possible. In this situation, no one did, apparently. I am wondering why not. There may be a very good reason why not but if the barrier was practically nonexistent as is being posted here, how is it that every adult in the area was thwarted from jumping over it?

Sorry I didn't mean you personally. I keep seeing people all over saying why didn't this person do that or this person. Blah blah. Sometimes when I respond I group all those thoughts together unintentionally. Sorry!

I am still unable to figure out why no adult went over that fence to try to get to the boy before he fell. He was seen, and some adults were calling him to come back but no one went in after him. Why not? If the fence was so easy for an adult to scale, why did not one try to intervene? Apparently it all happened very fast and maybe they would not have caught him in time but it sounds like no one tried.

Brittany Nicely tried to stop the boy from getting into the Gorilla World enclosure.
“I tried to prevent it, I tried to grab him and I just couldn’t get to him fast enough,” said Nicely, who was standing next to the boy’s mother.

Zoo director: ‘You can’t take a risk with a silverback gorilla’

True, but I've done dumber things and almost been killed. It's a weird thing and you don't have time to think things through. You just act. :blushing:

Exactly! People have intervened and been attacked for it but in the heat of the moment they do not stop to consider that; they just act!

Maybe someone at the zoo did and we just have not heard about it. But, I have to wonder why.

Respectfully, IMO, I can't blame bystanders either as it probably happened so fast. The brain takes a moment to process what the eyes are seeing, and in that time anything could happen and it might be too late to respond. There is just a tragic incident and I am glad the little boy was ok and the mother won't be blaming herself for the rest of her life for his death.

Hopefully, she recognizes the need to keep a more watchful eye over all her children and has learned a very valuable lesson. Hopefully, the Emergency Response Teams for all Zoos will take a look at their policies and procedures as well as their enclosures. I would hate to think this beautiful gorilla died in vain. And yes, an apology and mea culpa from the mother would have been lovely and done a lot to assuage the anger felt by many. At least she thanked the Zoo...

I think if I'd been there I'd have been hesitant to go after the boy because I'd fear being injured and would wonder if shrubbery hid electric fences or similar. Unlike a four year old adults are risk averse.

Articles? Oh, please spare me!

Rife with error, such articles. I want to see footage, video, taped statements from people on the scene...not some article by a reporter who cannot even get the child's age right.

[video=youtube;u3go-JovCaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3go-JovCaY[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member