Civil Suit Hearing Tues., 1/6/09 Judge Reprimands Defense Team

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's a direct quote from the countersuit Jose Baez filed. I'm going from a hard copy and don't have a link. Please remove this post if this isn't okay.

Paragraph 7

The Plaintiff and her attorneys knew this when they filed said lawsuit yet went through with this frivolous lawsuit so as to generate publicity and press for their law firm. A law firm, it should be noted, which utilizes highway billboards in order to advertise their services. This lawsuit allows them to generate further publicity for their law firm without paying thousands of dollars for a billboard.

I also remember Baez calling Morgan an "ambulance chaser."

ETA: The link on the document page no longer works.

What a disgraceful thing to say about a fellow lawyer. I'm glad the Judge made the comments he did. It's about time someone put JB back in his place. JB is going to have a hard time continuing to practise in Orlando if he treats his fellow members of the Bar like that.

The thing that drives me nuts about this ZG suit is KC was very clear and concise in her description of "the nanny" right down to her hyphenated middle name. A name that this ZG does not share. Open and closed.

Damn, was that a threat? And the A Team isn't pressing charges?

Actually that remark alone is very unsettling coming from an atty. He should be above replying to her pettiness and it really shows the caliber of people working this case.

MN, I'm so glad you got yourself out of this circus. BC, we like you. Proceed with caution.

(snipped by me - SeriouslySearching)
Morgan's response to Cindy Anthony: "Be careful when she calls me an ambulance chaser. Because she may have repeated this same slander, and she may find the ambulance chaser turning his Howitzer in a different direction, and it may be in her direction."

Very poor choice of words on Morgan's part, with that said, I don't think that he meant it as a threat to CA in the physical sense, it was meant to convey the message that if she continues to repeat "this same slander", she may find herself facing a lawsuit by Morgan himself. Unfortunately he tried to use her own words in the reversal, including the depiction and imagery of an actual ambulance, to express his point, in addition to using "Be careful" as the lead-in to his remark - never a good idea.

Then you don't tell someone you will be pointing a howitzer at them, aka heavy artillery. I understand the use of the word but I also see a lawyer pointing a gun at someone. It's not the right way to conduct legal business.

She was wrong first. But two wrongs, don't make a right.

Respectfully disagree.

The two are not interchageable. A howitzer cannon is not the same as a regular gun and this Morgan guy wouldn't be so obtuse as to make such a threat.

Don't want to turn this thread into a semantics course. Later.

:clap:Casey is schedule to be deposed by Gonzalez's attorney, John Morgan, on Monday. Morgan would be allowed to question Casey about details of the case during the deposition and any answers she gives could potentially be used against her in her murder trial. However, Casey does have the constitutional right against self incrimination, which means she could plead the Fifth Amendment. ( So, does this mean that if she dose not plead the 5th we will finally get to hear what story she has for using Z.F.G name? And how many times can a person plead the 5th? Anyone know? I thought it was only once.)

Judge Rodriguez said a hearing will be held before that time to address Casey Anthony's defense team's concerns, but a specific date was not released. (I guess Baez better do his homework, I hope that just because the judge will address the concerns doesn't make him overturn the ruling of the Deposition for Monday.)

:woohoo: :clap: :woohoo: :clap: :woohoo:

I am confused. In another article, it says that since Baez filed the counter-suit that in that context, Casey cannot plead the Fifth as she is the Plaintiff and Morgan has every right to depose her fully. Is this correct?

Press charges?.. I think Morgan was implying he would have no problem filing suit against Cindy for her statement..Morgan is from what I've read..a very accomplished lawyer and has a well respected law practice..in fact when Cindy made this statement to the press, Morgan called Nejames who was in Paris at the time about it and Nejames quit the Anthony's soon after..Nejames is a good friend of Morgan.

ETA: His statement reminds me of something similar to what my husband used to say to our boys when wrestling or some competing game..Don't make me bring out the big guns. lol

Morgan is also consider #23 out of the top 25 most powerful people in Orlando.

23. John Morgan. Everyone who's ever turned on a TV or radio in this town knows Mr. For the People's face and voice -- even if only because it sends them running for the mute button. What you may not know -- and yet what our panelists do -- is that this 51-year-old lawyer is a major player on the political scene. He's one of the country's biggest Democratic fundraisers and has hosted everyone from John Edwards to Barack Obama at his home. And yet he scored even more influence when he crossed party lines to endorse Republican Charlie Crist. And did we mention the lieutenant governor was one of his law partners?
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-maxwell122507,0,4480304.column

I must be missing something...how does advertising on a billboard (I've seen it on the side of I-4, it's a generic Christmas advertisement) have anything to do with "trying to gain publicity by representing ZFG"? "For The People" is their slogan, has been forever. Someone help me? :confused:

I think it was JB's not so veiled and not so clever way of saying that Mr. Morgan is a publicity seeking ambulance chaser, who dared to sue our tragic heroine, Casey A, which is exactly what the judge took issue with. It doesn't seem JB is too up on the civil procedure rules on emo pleadings, when to file a motion and request for a hearing, etc.

I must be missing something...how does advertising on a billboard (I've seen it on the side of I-4, it's a generic Christmas advertisement) have anything to do with "trying to gain publicity by representing ZFG"? "For The People" is their slogan, has been forever. Someone help me? :confused:

you're right to be confused. It doesn't have anything to do with ZFG, and apparently Judge Rodriguez isn't tolerating it :)

Did you notice in that short video, Baez and morgan didn't seem to be there..They had two other attorneys representing,,Casey and ZG, I guess because it was a Civil suit..

The thing that drives me nuts about this ZG suit is KC was very clear and concise in her description of "the nanny" right down to her hyphenated middle name. A name that this ZG does not share. Open and closed.

Not at all. In case you don't recall, the reason LE iv'ed this ZG is because Casey gave them the Sawgrass Apartment address and apartment number that ZG had looked at. She went so far as to tell LE that she handed Caylee to her in the stairwell there. Unless you can find me another ZG associated with Sawgrass and show the police, and not Casey were responsible for ZG being iv'ed, then it's gotta be this ZG.

Not at all. In case you don't recall, the reason LE iv'ed this ZG is because Casey gave them the Sawgrass Apartment address and apartment number that ZG had looked at. She went so far as to tell LE that she handed Caylee to her in the stairwell there. Unless you can find me another ZG associated with Sawgrass and show the police, and not Casey were responsible for ZG being iv'ed, then you may have something.
Any wasn't ZG visit to Sawgrass on the same day KC stated Kaylee was dropped off there? Strange!!!

I am confused. In another article, it says that since Baez filed the counter-suit that in that context, Casey cannot plead the Fifth as she is the Plaintiff and Morgan has every right to depose her fully. Is this correct?

I don't know exactly what the case law or rules in Florida might say, but she can always plead the fifth. It's just that if she does, and won't discuss anything about her counterclaim and the facts to prove it, it will most likely get dismissed. All of you who keep saying you aren't lawyers have the exact right instinct about this: filing a claim, which you'll have to talk about to prove, and then falling back on the right to remain silent cos of your more pressing criminal situation, is ridiculous.

The way it would work where I live, is that she would have to put on evidence to establish her counter claim. So, unless she gives evidence, she can't win.

"What a tangled web we weave ,when first we practice to deceive."

The only difference here is that this is obvously NOT Caseys 1st attemt at deception!

Attorney Johnathan Cason (Not sure if I spelled it right) is the one that will be handling the case against Casey and Z.F.G. So I wonder if Baez was in court today? Was it Baez that got reprimanded or Cason?

Press charges?.. I think Morgan was implying he would have no problem filing suit against Cindy for her statement..Morgan is from what I've read..a very accomplished lawyer and has a well respected law practice..in fact when Cindy made this statement to the press, Morgan called Nejames who was in Paris at the time about it and Nejames quit the Anthony's soon after..Nejames is a good friend of Morgan.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not supporting CA or her remarks, I'm saying in this case just rise above it, it's not hard.

I have no problem with him being offended by her remark. If he has such a sterling reputation then he doesn't need to reply to pettiness coming from the family he is pressing suit against, it goes with the territory.

My whole objection is threating to point a howitzer at anyone. You don't lower yourself to it.

I'm glad for MN getting out, he never once sunk to the level of the people he surrounded himself in this case. And when he got that call I'm sure he apologized for what his client said. But you didn't read about it in the press, MN doesn't need to get publicity out of other people being petty.

I was thinking the same thing....JB is in WAY over his head!:woohoo:

It's not just Baez, though. Kassen is representing KC in the civil suit, as well as another attny from Baez' firm. Do they all need a course in courtroom etiquette?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back