Civil Suit Hearing Tues., 1/6/09 Judge Reprimands Defense Team

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it was JB's not so veiled and not so clever way of saying that Mr. Morgan is a publicity seeking ambulance chaser, who dared to sue our tragic heroine, Casey A, which is exactly what the judge took issue with. It doesn't seem JB is too up on the civil procedure rules on emo pleadings, when to file a motion and request for a hearing, etc.

you're right to be confused. It doesn't have anything to do with ZFG, and apparently Judge Rodriguez isn't tolerating it :)

Morgan is also consider #23 out of the top 25 most powerful people in Orlando.

23. John Morgan. Everyone who's ever turned on a TV or radio in this town knows Mr. For the People's face and voice -- even if only because it sends them running for the mute button. What you may not know -- and yet what our panelists do -- is that this 51-year-old lawyer is a major player on the political scene. He's one of the country's biggest Democratic fundraisers and has hosted everyone from John Edwards to Barack Obama at his home. And yet he scored even more influence when he crossed party lines to endorse Republican Charlie Crist. And did we mention the lieutenant governor was one of his law partners?
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-maxwell122507,0,4480304.column

Seems JB should reconsider the shots he's taking at JM...he doesn't need to "seek publicity", he's already well known and well respected. JB should take some notes!

I am confused. In another article, it says that since Baez filed the counter-suit that in that context, Casey cannot plead the Fifth as she is the Plaintiff and Morgan has every right to depose her fully. Is this correct?

SeriouslySearching- I read this article as well, when the countersuit was filed.

Attorney Johnathan Cason (Not sure if I spelled it right) is the one that will be handling the case against Casey and Z.F.G. So I wonder if Baez was in court today? Was it Baez that got reprimanded or Cason?

I think it was the team as a whole that was reprimanded.

<<Orange County Circuit Judge Jose Rodriguez refused to hear the request and scolded Casey's defense team for personal attacks against Morgan and Morgan, the law firm representing Gonzalez, and said Casey's attorneys were taking the profession to a new low.

Judge Rodriguez told Casey's defense team to stick to the law and said that the request for a hearing didn't follow proper protocol and that there was not enough notice given to make such a request.>>

I just don't see how so many attorneys can make so many bumbling mistakes.

(snipped by me - SeriouslySearching)
Morgan's response to Cindy Anthony: "Be careful when she calls me an ambulance chaser. Because she may have repeated this same slander, and she may find the ambulance chaser turning his Howitzer in a different direction, and it may be in her direction."

Very poor choice of words on Morgan's part, with that said, I don't think that he meant it as a threat to CA in the physical sense, it was meant to convey the message that if she continues to repeat "this same slander", she may find herself facing a lawsuit by Morgan himself. Unfortunately he tried to use her own words in the reversal, including the depiction and imagery of an actual ambulance, to express his point, in addition to using "Be careful" as the lead-in to his remark - never a good idea.

Thank you, this is all I was saying.

I apologize if my "pressing charges" remark wasn't taken in the snarkiness it was intended. I never meant to say CA should be calling him out on a threat, I just think he would have looked like a bigger man if he had replied "I just consider the source and this time it doesn't need a reply."

She wasn't right, but neither was he.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Will Casey Anthony actually be forced to give details of what happened to Caylee from behind bars? Zenaida Gonzalez`s attorney, John Morgan, hopes that`s the case. He says he plans to depose Casey from jail, thanks to Anthony`s countersuit against Zenaida Gonzalez. In that suit, Anthony claims she was truthful to investigators. Now Morgan telling local reporters the countersuit forces Anthony to either give a deposition or drop her lawsuit. Morgan hopes to depose Anthony within the next two weeks.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0811/17/ng.01.html

The Florida Bar:Reporter's guide to a Civil Lawsuit
(bolded by me)

1. Depositions.

A "deposition" is an oral examination of a person under oath that is recorded by a stenographer and may be videotaped or audiotaped. Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.310. A party deponent may be required to produce documents during the examination. Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.310(b)(5). Depositions of parties may be used by the other side for any purpose. Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.330(a)(2). Depositions may be taken by telephone. Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.310(b)(7). Depositions frequently are used to impeach subsequent testimony. Sometimes, depositions may be taken prior to the filing of a civil action or during appeal to preserve testimony. Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.290. Depositions may or may not be transcribed, depending upon the wishes of the parties. Depositions also may be conducted on written questions. See Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.320. This method is not used frequently.
http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI/RHandbook01.nsf/1119bd38ae090a748525676f0053b606/966753dab01ea462852569cb004ca402?OpenDocument

Boy would I love to see that on tape!!:woohoo:

Did you notice in that short video, Baez and morgan didn't seem to be there..They had two other attorneys representing,,Casey and ZG, I guess because it was a Civil suit..

This is the ORange County Clerk Listing of the attorneys:

Subject ID Full Name Party Type Status
D-A CASEY ANTHONY DEFENDANT
D-A JONATHAN KASEN ATTORNEY
D-A TOMASITA D CROWELL ATTORNEY
P-A ZENAIDA FERNANDEZ-GONZALEZ PLAINTIFF
P-A JOHN BRYAN MORGAN ATTORNEY

"trying to gain publicity by representing ZFG"

Wherever would he get such an idea that attorneys representing clients who cannot possibly pay for services would be to "gain publicity"???

Let's try changing the above quote to "trying to gain publicity by representing CMA"

Now THAT makes perfect sense.

Hooray for Judge Jose Rodriguez, Florida's Orange County Circuit Court, for maintaining judicial control over the courtroom and the officers of the court who appear there. Excellent! :clap:

Morgan is also consider #23 out of the top 25 most powerful people in Orlando.

23. John Morgan. Everyone who's ever turned on a TV or radio in this town knows Mr. For the People's face and voice -- even if only because it sends them running for the mute button. What you may not know -- and yet what our panelists do -- is that this 51-year-old lawyer is a major player on the political scene. He's one of the country's biggest Democratic fundraisers and has hosted everyone from John Edwards to Barack Obama at his home. And yet he scored even more influence when he crossed party lines to endorse Republican Charlie Crist. And did we mention the lieutenant governor was one of his law partners?
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-maxwell122507,0,4480304.column

Wow..I did not know the later part..Geez what is baez thinking with his statements..Career suicide maybe? :waitasec:

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Will Casey Anthony actually be forced to give details of what happened to Caylee from behind bars? Zenaida Gonzalez`s attorney, John Morgan, hopes that`s the case. He says he plans to depose Casey from jail, thanks to Anthony`s countersuit against Zenaida Gonzalez. In that suit, Anthony claims she was truthful to investigators. Now Morgan telling local reporters the countersuit forces Anthony to either give a deposition or drop her lawsuit. Morgan hopes to depose Anthony within the next two weeks.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0811/17/ng.01.html

KC will be dropping her lawsuit in five, four, three, two,.......

I bet it doesn't happen.

I found this, in case anyone wants to read it, reproduced from the Florida State Bar journal.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6367/is_/ai_n30905636

This is talking mostly about situations where the criminal and civil cases were strictly parallel cases (for example, like the OJ criminal trial for murder and the civil suit against him for wrongful death $ damages). It still applies in this case, though, and does a pretty good job of explaining the different way things might go if you are just defending yourself against a civil suit filed against you, as opposed to affirmatively filing your own civil suit and asking relief from the courts.

Attorney Johnathan Cason (Not sure if I spelled it right) is the one that will be handling the case against Casey and Z.F.G. So I wonder if Baez was in court today? Was it Baez that got reprimanded or Cason?

Here's my objection to this case. ZG's middle initial isn't F. How can she claim to be hurt by KC's story when this isn't her name?

It makes no sense to me that any lawyer would take her on as a client against KC . If she lost her job over the police ruling her out as a suspect then she needs to go after the company that fired her.

JB wasn't in court today, it was the other Jose. He looked a little shaken when leaving the courthouse.

I must be missing something...how does advertising on a billboard (I've seen it on the side of I-4, it's a generic Christmas advertisement) have anything to do with "trying to gain publicity by representing ZFG"? "For The People" is their slogan, has been forever. Someone help me? :confused:

I'll help you!:) John Morgan has been around for years---I remember him from way back in the 80's when I was growing up in South Fla. He and his firm have always had commercials and billboards up b/c they were/are a large successful law firm. He's always appeared to be professional, IMO. He is NOT scum like JB.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not supporting CA or her remarks, I'm saying in this case just rise above it, it's not hard.

I have no problem with him being offended by her remark. If he has such a sterling reputation then you don't reply to pettiness coming from the family you are pressing suit against, it goes with the territory.

My whole objection is threating to point a howitzer at anyone. You don't lower yourself to it.

I'm glad for MN getting out, he never once sunk to the level of the people he surrounded himself in this case. And when he got that call I'm sure he apologized for what his client said. But you didn't read about it in the press, MN doesn't need to get publicity out of other people being petty.

I understand what you mean..I was just saying I didn't see it so much as a threat as a warning..but your right, Morgan is a powerful attorney and he could have chosen to rise above it.

Here's my objection to this case. ZG's middle initial isn't F. How can she claim to be hurt by KC's story when this isn't her name?

It makes no sense to me that any lawyer would take her on as a client against KC . If she lost her job over the police ruling her out as a suspect then she needs to go after the company that fired her.

JB wasn't in court today, it was the other Jose. He looked a little shaken when leaving the courthouse.

According to the OC docs I'm seeing online, her name is ZFG, exactly as stated by KC. If there is other info out there, could you point me there?

Also, slightly off topic but ZFG significant, I wonder if the daisy-chain LP has been referring to is the one that somehow gets info about ZFG and Sawgrass complex, (since ZFG did look at the exact same apt.) to KC and that's how her name got drawn in. Thoughts??

KC will be dropping her lawsuit in five, four, three, two,.......

I bet it doesn't happen.

I'm pretty shocked that they haven't already dropped it, they have known about this for at least a month probably more.

I read somewhere that ZG had been involved in some other civil lawsuits. Does anyone know anything about her past legal history?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back