Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bartholemeus,

Big Footy was the only thread worth signing up to. Hopefully they wont delete the thread as it had some interesting stuff. For me, the Droc/Excalibur arguments ruined it and I just gave up reading. Does BillyWhizz post on here? As for your questions:

1. They said I was in the area on one or more of the nights and my name was given to them by a concerned party. They wouldn't tell me who but I suspect it was an ex girlfriend or one of her friends.

2. I lived in the area and am a bit of a night-owl so I was often out and about in the wee small hours. My guess is that, plus a malicious ex's story were enough to make me worth looking into. I was on the dole back then and had too much free time on my hands plus I lived alone (those were the days!) I often got pulled up by the police asking me what I was doing walking around Claremont or Stirling Highway at 2am but I was happy to give my ID and have a chat because I wasn't up to anything. Just restless. Quite innocent normally but during that time I guess it looked pretty suspicious. I remember LW pulling up to offer me a lift many times during those years but we can talk more about him another time if you're ever interested.

3. They asked me if I had access to a taxi specifically, and if I knew any of the victims personally. They wanted to know my whereabouts on and around specific dates but I don't think I came up with a solid alibi for those dates which was why they asked me to agree to a polygraph test. I know they were very unhappy that I didn't agree to a search of my property but in my mind it was ridiculous that I was a POI in the first place. I already had homicide detectives visiting my work, talking to my neighbours etc. Wasn't letting them sniff through my house as well.

4. At the time, I had no idea. I remember watching Susannah Carr broadcast live from the Channel 7 media van set up on Gugeri St and in the months that followed I basically kept on going out on my nightly walks. I saw the same gorgeous UWA girls stumbling home drunk down Stirling Highway at midnight and wondering if they were undercover police women. I didn't see LW again after that, so I guess he'd been put under surveillance by then and stopped offering people lifts. I had no ideas back then as to suspects, but Claremont had a strange feel to it back then. There were pictures of Jane Rimmer on every lamp post , in all the shop windows along the main strip etc but I still saw pissed girls walking alone every weekend couldn't believe it.

Incidentally, years later I made friends with a bloke next door and hung out with him a few times. His nights consisted of driving around until 4am looking for girls walking alone and slow down to stare at them. He never said hi or offered them a ride, he'd just follow them slowly and stare at them. It made me awkward as hell, and after a few nights of cruising around deserted carparks near the beach, kings park etc I GTF and said I was too busy to go out "for a look around". He was an ordinary, likeable bloke too. Just goes to show that poor MACRO must have had a hell of a time looking into every dude that got put forward as a suspect.

Hey Mordekai, in the BF thread you said this which is a bit different to what you wrote above

"After the DNA swab they left a Macro business card in my front door asking me to contact them and once I did a junior officer not a detective told me I had been "eliminated from their inquiries". I actually had a go at him because they'd searched my property without my consent after I denied them access to it but he said he didn't know anything about that. "

That is terrible they searched your place without a warrant. how did you know though??

2. I lived in the area and am a bit of a night-owl so I was often out and about in the wee small hours. My guess is that, plus a malicious ex's story were enough to make me worth looking into. I was on the dole back then and had too much free time on my hands plus I lived alone (those were the days!) I often got pulled up by the police asking me what I was doing walking around Claremont or Stirling Highway at 2am but I was happy to give my ID and have a chat because I wasn't up to anything. Just restless. Quite innocent normally but during that time I guess it looked pretty suspicious. I remember LW pulling up to offer me a lift many times during those years but we can talk more about him another time if you're ever interested.

When you say during those years, do you mean during those years around 2am? Or were you offered lifts any time of the day? Were you actively trying to hitchhike, is that why he pulled over?

What sort of effect do you think it would have on someone if they pull over to help someone who is trying to hitchhike, and their offer is refused? And this happens many times over a number of years? Especially by the same person? Do you think he remembered you? It's odd you came across him in Freo, also North Perth and Claremont..

You said this on the BF thread: I was also approached by LW many times during the early to mid 90s when he pulled up to offer me a lift on Stirling Hwy. I lived just off Stirling Hwy at the time and he stopped to offer me lifts from as far as the bridge at the end of Stirling just before you turn off to go to Freo all the way to Charles St North Perth. I never actually accepted a lift from him because I assumed he was some gay bloke cruisin' for dudes though I did speak to him several times and can confirm the other guy's assessment that he came across as a lonely loser with no mates.

Did you ever think it odd you always came across the same guy trying to offer you lifts? Stalking?

I am trying to understand why no one ever came forward and said "yeah, that guy, he gave me heaps of lifts where I arrived safely" or "yeah that guy, he was always offering me lifts but I always refused".

When he was pulled over in the Mosman Park sting he said he had recently started driving around Claremont trying to protect girls. No mention of giving people lifts for 8+ years?

But bunsen burner on BF and also you say he has been driving around giving lifts (what time of day??) since the late 80s.

That is two people already, from a pretty small sample size (a forum)

I reckon the bloke cracked a stupid joke and she laughs - if they knew each other surely they would have had a cheeky cuddle or a kiss.

I agree. Her body language remains closed even though she smiles at him. She keeps her arms folded and doesn't turn her body towards him.

Exactly. Anyone who has been out in that sort of situation with lots of drunken, partying people around knows that random people shout out and say hi like that. Maybe they saw each other earlier in the night and he was just acknowledging that. If she really knew him she would have hugged him or at least chatted for a bit.
I reckon it was a "hey you piking already this early?!" Sort of gesture.
He is no one.

Hey Mordekai, in the BF thread you said this which is a bit different to what you wrote above

"After the DNA swab they left a Macro business card in my front door asking me to contact them and once I did a junior officer not a detective told me I had been "eliminated from their inquiries". I actually had a go at him because they'd searched my property without my consent after I denied them access to it but he said he didn't know anything about that. "

That is terrible they searched your place without a warrant. how did you know though??

I cant remember if they called me or I called them back after they left the card tbh. (it was a long time ago)

The first contact I ever had with MACRO was a card left in my fly screen door and when I called the number two detectives came out to visit me. This happened a few times as I was either asleep or out when they visited so they'd leave a card and I'd call them back. I didn't want to let them in so the initial meeting (an informal chat really) took place on a couch on my front veranda. They asked me a series of questions and asked if I'd let them search my house which as I said, I wasn't keen on. They really pushed me to let them in for a look around and they said they were only looking for specific things relevant to their investigation. I specifically remember one detective saying "we don't care if you've got a bit of weed or smoking paraphernalia inside" and "what are you so worried about?". They told me that it would be noted that I was uncooperative and that it made me look more suspicious refusing their search.

Anyway they didn't search my house, only my yard which was massive and admittedly had a lot of good places to bury things. The reasons I knew they searched it were tell tale signs like a shovel was moved to a different place, pot plants all moved away from an area and the soil underneath disturbed, put back wrong, multiple sets of footprints all through my garden, shade house gate wasn't latched properly (it had a trick to it to stay latched they wouldn't have known), a tarp that had bags of potting mix underneath had been removed and put back upside down (cleanest side on top), fishing stuff moved around plus other stuff. It all happened on one day and nothing was pinched so it wasn't kids(bikes, tools, fishing rods etc). I was going to complain but legal aid said it was in my best interests for them to clear my name anyway so let it go. As far as I know they didn't go inside my place but thinking back I really don't know.

It looked like they hadn't taken much care to be discrete because it was clear the whole yard had been searched. I'm guessing they didn't think I was a serious suspect and just wanted to tick my name off and move onto the next person.

I cant remember if they called me or I called them back after they left the card tbh. (it was a long time ago)

The first contact I ever had with MACRO was a card left in my fly screen door and when I called the number two detectives came out to visit me. This happened a few times as I was either asleep or out when they visited so they'd leave a card and I'd call them back. I didn't want to let them in so the initial meeting (an informal chat really) took place on a couch on my front veranda. They asked me a series of questions and asked if I'd let them search my house which as I said, I wasn't keen on. They really pushed me to let them in for a look around and they said they were only looking for specific things relevant to their investigation. I specifically remember one detective saying "we don't care if you've got a bit of weed or smoking paraphernalia inside" and "what are you so worried about?". They told me that it would be noted that I was uncooperative and that it made me look more suspicious refusing their search.

Anyway they didn't search my house, only my yard which was massive and admittedly had a lot of good places to bury things. The reasons I knew they searched it were tell tale signs like a shovel was moved to a different place, pot plants all moved away from an area and the soil underneath disturbed, put back wrong, multiple sets of footprints all through my garden, shade house gate wasn't latched properly (it had a trick to it to stay latched they wouldn't have known), a tarp that had bags of potting mix underneath had been removed and put back upside down (cleanest side on top), fishing stuff moved around plus other stuff. It all happened on one day and nothing was pinched so it wasn't kids(bikes, tools, fishing rods etc). I was going to complain but legal aid said it was in my best interests for them to clear my name anyway so let it go. As far as I know they didn't go inside my place but thinking back I really don't know.

It looked like they hadn't taken much care to be discrete because it was clear the whole yard had been searched. I'm guessing they didn't think I was a serious suspect and just wanted to tick my name off and move onto the next person.

Believe me, The inside would have been just as thoroughly looked through without your knowledge. They may have wanted you to think you were just ticked off meanwhile your house was bugged and every movement watched. That's how they roll...

When you say during those years, do you mean during those years around 2am? Or were you offered lifts any time of the day? Were you actively trying to hitchhike, is that why he pulled over?

What sort of effect do you think it would have on someone if they pull over to help someone who is trying to hitchhike, and their offer is refused? And this happens many times over a number of years? Especially by the same person? Do you think he remembered you? It's odd you came across him in Freo, also North Perth and Claremont..

You said this on the BF thread: I was also approached by LW many times during the early to mid 90s when he pulled up to offer me a lift on Stirling Hwy. I lived just off Stirling Hwy at the time and he stopped to offer me lifts from as far as the bridge at the end of Stirling just before you turn off to go to Freo all the way to Charles St North Perth. I never actually accepted a lift from him because I assumed he was some gay bloke cruisin' for dudes though I did speak to him several times and can confirm the other guy's assessment that he came across as a lonely loser with no mates.

Did you ever think it odd you always came across the same guy trying to offer you lifts? Stalking?

I am trying to understand why no one ever came forward and said "yeah, that guy, he gave me heaps of lifts where I arrived safely" or "yeah that guy, he was always offering me lifts but I always refused".

When he was pulled over in the Mosman Park sting he said he had recently started driving around Claremont trying to protect girls. No mention of giving people lifts for 8+ years?

But bunsen burner on BF and also you say he has been driving around giving lifts (what time of day??) since the late 80s.

That is two people already, from a pretty small sample size (a forum)

Gday Billywhiz,
I saw you asked me something back on BF but by the time I logged back in on Chris Isaak's pro the thread had been closed. So, answers. I'll try to be as detailed as I can.

LW only ever offered me lifts late at night, never during the day and only really along Stirling Highway. It was only the one time I think in North Perth but i remember thinking he must travel all over the metro area doing it. Not hitchhiking.. was just walking home from Claremont or from UWA/Matilda Bay.

As far as the effect it had on him being rejected for a lift I have no idea. I wasn't hitch hiking and Ive no clue as to how many other people might have accepted a life so I don't know how to answer that. As I said I never accepted a lift so I didn't have a chance to really talk to him to see what sort of person he was. He was doing this well before he got picked up, and I suspect him saying he only started doing it to keep an eye on girls around Claremont after the murders started was because it looked pretty bad.

I don't know if he remembered me specifically and it wasn't as though he offered me a ride 7 nights a week. I dont know how many other people in a night he'd offer a ride to. There were months in between and it happened over a period of a few years. I read somewhere (cant remember where) that he had a well established route and made the same rounds night after night. I guess his route included Freo, Mosman Park, Claremont and North Perth.

As far as it being odd being approached by him more than once/stalking: yes to the first question. No to the stalking part.

The first time he pulled up along side me was walking towards UWA from Claremont late at night and he slowed down and rolled his passenger window down manually and said "hey buddy do you need a lift?" I remember thinking this must be some dude trying to ask for directions and when he offered me a lift I was very polite and said nah its ok thanks anyway. I didnt think anything else of it and forgot about it. I cant recall how long it was between that time and the next but it happened again and I remember being amused but polite to him. He came across as helpful and friendly: never got a dangerous vibe from him or felt threatened at all. He would lean over and call out through the passenger window and the times I was polite (or pissed) he would give me the thumbs up and a smile as he drove off. He seemed like a pretty good bloke in all honesty. I felt differently about it later after it kept happening.

One night in summer I was walking without a shirt on and a car slowed down and followed me for a few seconds. I got a bit worried as you do when a car follows behind you in the dark, and when the guy asked me if I was okay and needed a ride I gave him an earful and told him to ****** off. It was LW but he had a short beard and a different car which was why i didn't recognise him. I repeated the license plate over and over in my head to report it to the police but by the time I'd gotten home I'd lost interest. It was the first time he'd followed me for a while before asking me if I wanted a ride and it creeped me out.

I decided that he was probably an old gay guy looking to meet young dudes and I didnt want to know about it so I told him what I thought of him.

The final time I remember being offered a lift was on the corner of Stirling Highway at the lights right outside uwa one night. I was waiting to cross on that corner and he pulled up to offer me a ride. I gave him an earful of abuse and he looked shocked and sped off into the night. That was the last time I saw him and he never stopped to offer me a ride after that. I cant remember exactly when that was to be honest and I didnt know it was LW that had been offering me rides all those years until I saw his face in the paper or somewhere as the main CSK suspect.

To me he was initially just a lonely loser but after the time he followed me I changed my opinion and was aggressive after that. Interesting note: I had super long hair back then and more than once I got wolf whistled at by dudes in cars at night, only to hear fits of laughter when I spun around and they saw a beard lol. It was a running joke with my GF for a while that I got more attention than her from dudes. I wondered later when I found out who he was if thats why he slowed down and followed me a while the time I had no shirt on: because my hair was out and in the dark he might have thought I was a girl on her own wearing next to nothing.

Does that make him seem more sinister to anyone?

JR`s watch was found near the road by some horse riders from a club. They took it back with them to see if another rider lost it. Noone claimed it as being theirs. This was before JR was found. The watch was so close to where she was. Imagine if they had stumbled onto her earlier. They might have got hot dna that was useable.

JR`s watch was found near the road by some horse riders from a club. They took it back with them to see if another rider lost it. Noone claimed it as being theirs. This was before JR was found. The watch was so close to where she was. Imagine if they had stumbled onto her earlier. They might have got hot dna that was useable.

How do you know this?

Not doubting it, but never seen this info in the public domain.

Does that make him seem more sinister to anyone?

Sinister
1. Picks up people on Stirling Hwy
2. Clearly he's a total stranger with limited social skills
3. Could be upset that he is local and the average local doesn't acknowledge him. Guys don't want to have beers with him, girls don't want to blow him. Might give him a complex where he has to "be" with some of these upmarket girls?

Unsinister
1. To our knowledge, has never regularly given girls lifts home. A couple of guys claim they got lifts home from him but not girls.
2. Clearly his DNA was not a match (I think everyone agrees that they don't have enough DNA yet)

The biggest Question

If LW is the CSK then how did he get the girls into his car? "hey ladies, I look like Rowan Atkinson, why don't you jump in my car?"

I'm just not buying it. How would have LW abducted 3 girls with no record of unsuccessful attempts?

Believe me, The inside would have been just as thoroughly looked through without your knowledge. They may have wanted you to think you were just ticked off meanwhile your house was bugged and every movement watched. That's how they roll...
On another thread (but the same topic) you said this:

I have certain information about this case. When they released the footage of Jane Rimmer at the taxi rank, they showed certain things that they didn't want the public to see. I picked up on this and a day later it was removed and Police had said they released the wrong footage. I know why they are looking at the screen printing business and even worked out myself that the girls all dissapeared on the same moon phase. In doing so found myself being profiled and under constant surveillance until they worked out it wasn't me I gather. I know lots of the details because my sister knew a police officer in perth at the time. I think I must have mentioned stuff nobody knows because I was then told I had offered very insightful stuff and I won't even begin to go into what they are doing, what measures they are taking, because it may warn the real killer. It is a very scary case with lots of wierd details. Be interested to speak with someone who knows a little about it and see what happens.
--------->

Can you please elaborate?

You say you "know" why they are looking at a screen printing business. Can you please say why?

How do you know this?

Not doubting it, but never seen this info in the public domain.

Her watch was reported as found in several news articles, which is where the speculation about her time of death has come from. Don't know about it being found before the body though - not something I've read before.

Does anyone have a copy of Liam Bartletts 2003 article on the csk? A lot of the info bandied around various forums over time appears to be from that one article - I.e. The girls were killed shortly after they were picked up, dumped on the same night, articles of clothes missing etc

Basically a lot of inside information claims being made.

Does anyone have a copy of Liam Bartletts 2003 article on the csk? A lot of the info bandied around various forums over time appears to be from that one article - I.e. The girls were killed shortly after they were picked up, dumped on the same night, articles of clothes missing etc

Basically a lot of inside information claims being made.

I dunno.

But he did a special investigation

https://www.facebook.com/9NewsPerth/videos/1028793777132782/

With one of the people who kept a copy

Don't bother with this guy.

"Moon phases"? "Inisightful information"? Sure.

How about he hold off on recycling previously published information, and focus on giving us us next week's Powerball numbers instead?

Just saying what detective Maureen Davidson from macro said to me. aka as mouse detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TabithaTindle84