Classic Cold Murder Case of Most Interest Poll

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved murder case interests you most?

• Thames Torso Murders(1887-89)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack the Ripper(1888)

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • Borden Murders(1892)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Gatton Mystery(1898)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cincinnati Streetcar Killer(1904-10)

• Caroline Luard Slaying(1908)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Villisca Ax Murders(1912)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • New Orleans Axeman(1918-19)

• Julia Wallace Murder(1931)

• Brighton Trunk Mystery(1934)

• Cleveland Torso Slayer(1934-38)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Lord Errol Murder(1941)

• Texarkana Phantom(1946)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Black Dahlia(1947)

Votes: 47 15.4%
  • Taman Shud(1948)

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Shirley Collins Murder(1953)

• Boston Strangler(1962-64)

• Jack the Stripper(1963-65)

• Indiana Dunes Vanishings(1966)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Bible John(1968-69)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Zodiac(1968-69)

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • Babysitter(1976-77)

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Original Night Stalker(1979-85)

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • Tylenol Poisonings(1982)

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Gregory Villemin Slaying(1984)

• Another Please Tell Which

Votes: 32 10.5%

• Total voters
That's certainly and interesting one Troy. I'm a little surprised at the number of votes it's gotten though.

I grew up in Iowa, so it is one that has always stuck with me. The brutality of the crime, the number of victims, the fact that most of them were children and the countless theories and rumors about who actually committed the crime. Pair that with the countless reports of paranormal activity at the house (I remembering listening to some EVPs that were captures in the house the totally freaked the crap out of me!) and its definitely one of the more fascinating unsolved mass murders.

I received Roy Marshall's book about Villisca for Christmas last year.

I vote for the Babysitter (OCCK) because it happened in my area just before I was born, I grew up listening to Stranger Danger stories as it spooked the hell out of my parents. Reading up on that case takes you down some crazy pedo-filled rabbit holes on the interwebs.

Honorable mention to the Good Hart murders, another Michigan case.

Great poll, I haven't heard of a few of these and now have plenty of reading material.

Arlis Perry - Murdered In The Memorial Church On The Campus Of Stanford University - October 13, 1974. Very weird murder - mentioned in Maury Terry's - Ultimate Evil - that this murder is mentioned by David Berkowitz (Son Of Sam)

I'm not too big on conspiracies, but I don't really find a lot on this murder, just general information. You would think because some people suspect Satan worshippers that it would have received more coverage.

Here's a weird from right here in Omaha, NE that was solved this year.

Dr. Anthony Garcia was a resident at Creighton University Medical Center and was forced to resign in June 2001 because of disciplinary actions.

In March 2008 - 11 year old Thomas Hunter and his familys' housekeeper Shirlee Sherman were murdered in what was thought might be a home invasion.

In May 2013 - Dr. Roger Brumback and his wife Mary Brumback were murdered in their home.

Turns out Dr. Brumback and Thomas Hunter's Father - Dr. Hunter were the two doctors involved with forcing Dr. Garcia to resign.

He waited almost 8 years to get back at Dr. Hunter and 12 years against Dr. Brumback.

I find this one so odd because it's not like what I would consider a true serial killer, it appears to be totally for revenge and I haven't heard anything about any other possible murders.

I'm not going to vote because I can't just pick one.

yeah I agree I dont want to derail this thread either but I too thought that part intriguiging.
One might conclude the killer not only had read 'Frankenstein' but also knew where Mary Shelley lived?
And feel it worthy of the irony of throwing a body part on her lawn?
Interesting, its not like in those days as many folks would have read a popular novel and been aware of it like now.
And he knew where to find the author....its not like he could go online and find all that info....

I'm eating so I didn't click on that link, but if this is about one of the 1887-89 cases (or the one in the 1870s that some have tied to the other later cases), I don't believe it was intended for Mary Shelley. She died in 1851.

If there was some meaning to the location, it was often common knowledge that an estate belonged to a certain family.

Does anyone know if all of these have WS threads? Here are the ones I've been able to find, if anyone else is interested. If someone could direct me towards the ones I haven't found, that would be much appreciated.

UK Jack the Ripper ∙ London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

(There are other threads about Jack the Ripper but that is the general one about the case.)

MA MA - Lizzie Borden - Axe murders in 1892 - Old case, new angle - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Australia The Murphy Murders. Gatton,1898 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

IA IA - Villisca Axe Murders of 1912 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (it's archived)

LA LA - Axeman of New Orleans (1918-19) *UNSOLVED* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

UK UK - Julia Wallace murder, Liverpool, 1931 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

OH OH - Unidentified victims of The Cleveland Torso Murderer - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

TX TX - (1946)Phantom Killer AKA The Texarkana Phantom*UNSOLVED* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

TX TX - The Texarkana Phantom, 1946 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CA CA - Black Dahlia case: Elizabeth Short murdered in Los Angeles, 1947 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (I found at least one other thread but this seems to be the one to discuss general aspects of the case)

Australia Australia - Taman Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

MA MA - The Boston Strangler, Albert DeSalvo, 1960's - Page 2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (again, there are other threads that may be worth a look, for example: Officials: 'major development' in [boston] strangler case - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

UK UK - Hammersmith Nude Murders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (Jack The Stripper)

IN IN - Three missing women, Indiana Dunes State Park Mystery, 2 July 1966 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The Zodiac gets a whole subforum: The Zodiac Killer - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

MI MI - The Babysitter Murders: Oakland County Child Killings , 1976-77 #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CA CA - The Original Night Stalker - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

UNSOLVED IL - The Tylenol Murders, 1982 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

France-Gregory Villemin murder - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Lots of people have mentioned the murder of Valerie Percy: IL IL - Valerie Percy murder, Kenilworth, Sept 1966 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I haven't been able to find threads for the following cases: Thames Torso Murders, Cincinnati Street Car Killer, Caroline Luard Slaying, Brighton Trunk Mystery, Lord Erroll Murder, Shirley Collins Murder, and Bible John (I believe I'm not missing any others, if I am, let me know... that font is small and I'm tired).

I got some of these links from other posts in the thread as well as an explanation of what the Babysitter case was that allowed me to find this thread. I recommend reading this whole thread because there are other cases people have linked to as well.

Looking forward to your review.

I voted for the Borden murders mostly because I've always been fascinated by the legend of Lizzie Borden. Looking forward to the new Lifetime made-for-TV movie that premieres on Saturday, January 25 at 8:00PM.

That said, the 1968 Michigan case of the murdered Robison family is among those that I would like to see solved.

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/June-2008/A-Web-of-Intrigue/

The Bricca case has just gone up in my estimation of the most interesting cold case, partly because a lot of my questions re Valerie Percy have more or less been answered in the book I read.

The true crime book I read which featured a lengthy chapter on the Briccas was exactly the opposite of the Percy book - it pointed the finger at a suspect who was completely implausible. Srangely, though, it was an otherwise good book of the genre, featuring many of Cincinnati's most famous cold cases.

It fingered someone who led a lawful existence right up to slaughtering a family of three with knives, including a 4 year old girl..then went back to a lawful, quiet existence, retiring in Florida. It just didn't add up for me.

I no longer believe there is any connection between the Percy and Bricca cases.

The true crime book I read which featured a lengthy chapter on the Briccas was exactly the opposite of the Percy book - it pointed the finger at a suspect who was completely implausible. Srangely, though, it was an otherwise good book of the genre, featuring many of Cincinnati's most famous cold cases.

That's not unique - Patricia Cornwell's book about Jack the Ripper is actually pretty good if you ignore her fanciful suspect.

I only heard about it some 20 years ago but I suppose the recent centennial has boosted it more to the forefront.

N.O. Axeman will be the next for a centenary; I wonder if that will give the case a boost.

It's pretty much a two case race at this stage.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back