Classic Cold Murder Case of Most Interest Poll

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved murder case interests you most?

• Thames Torso Murders(1887-89)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack the Ripper(1888)

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • Borden Murders(1892)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Gatton Mystery(1898)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cincinnati Streetcar Killer(1904-10)

• Caroline Luard Slaying(1908)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Villisca Ax Murders(1912)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • New Orleans Axeman(1918-19)

• Julia Wallace Murder(1931)

• Brighton Trunk Mystery(1934)

• Cleveland Torso Slayer(1934-38)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Lord Errol Murder(1941)

• Texarkana Phantom(1946)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Black Dahlia(1947)

Votes: 47 15.4%
  • Taman Shud(1948)

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Shirley Collins Murder(1953)

• Boston Strangler(1962-64)

• Jack the Stripper(1963-65)

• Indiana Dunes Vanishings(1966)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Bible John(1968-69)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Zodiac(1968-69)

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • Babysitter(1976-77)

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Original Night Stalker(1979-85)

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • Tylenol Poisonings(1982)

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Gregory Villemin Slaying(1984)

• Another Please Tell Which

Votes: 32 10.5%

• Total voters
The JtR adherents apparently all voted early.

Yes, it was a 3 case race for a while but one has faded a bit.

There are still some really big cases that have no votes.

I don't believe that you are alone on that.

Of the cases with no votes, I'm most surprised by Jack the Stripper.

Of the cases with no votes, I'm most surprised by Jack the Stripper.

I wonder if many think the case was solved with the suicide of the security guard or that they were commited by one of the other suspects.

That's possible Bargle - it was a popular "solution" years back.

According to another site, a former policeman who was involved in the Profumo/Dr. Ward Scandal, has come into the picture - and he's not anyone who has been named before to my knowledge.

Some of the victims also had some tenuous connections to the scandal.

I think some of the more famous cases that aren't getting votes, might be because they're not recognized by that name - Texarkana Murders may be one, I think if it was listed as "The Town That Dreaded Sundown Murders, everyone would know it.

Unless you're really interested in true crime, you may not have heard of any of the crimes outside the USA. I actually started buying books directly from Australia to find out about their murders.

Three of their unsolved ones, I don't see on list.

Wanda Beach Murders
The Beaumont Children
Bogle and Chandler

The Crawford Family Murder - They know the father did it, so technically not unsolved - really gruesome murders, he electrocuted his 3 kids and pregnant wife and then pushed their car off a cliff, thinking it would fall into the sea - but it got caught on a ledge. This happened in early 1970's - father disappeared and was never caught.

Taman Shud which did get several votes, I think could be solved with DNA. A lot of people are putting their DNA out there on (I think ancestry.com) that they might get a hit.

One from New Zealand - Harvey & Jeanette Crewe - someone actually spent about a dozen years in prison before being released, after it was found that the police actually created evidence against him.

If he's still living, it looks like Elmer Crawford will turn 85 next month so time is running out if it hasn't already.

If he's still living, it looks like Elmer Crawford will turn 85 next month so time is running out if it hasn't already.

I hope he at least had a miserable life, always looking over his shoulder, waiting for the police to catch up to him.

I hope he at least had a miserable life, always looking over his shoulder, waiting for the police to catch up to him.

We can hope but I'm pretty sure it was a better life than being in prison.

I voted for JtR. Out of the ones in this list, it was hard for me to choose though.

JtR seems to be mounting a resurgence.

Unless you're really interested in true crime, you may not have heard of any of the crimes outside the USA. I actually started buying books directly from Australia to find out about their murders.

Three of their unsolved ones, I don't see on list.

Wanda Beach Murders
The Beaumont Children
Bogle and Chandler

The Crawford Family Murder - They know the father did it, so technically not unsolved - really gruesome murders, he electrocuted his 3 kids and pregnant wife and then pushed their car off a cliff, thinking it would fall into the sea - but it got caught on a ledge. This happened in early 1970's - father disappeared and was never caught.

Taman Shud which did get several votes, I think could be solved with DNA. A lot of people are putting their DNA out there on (I think ancestry.com) that they might get a hit.

Well, I did include 3 Australian cases and all have at least one vote. There are lots of "good" cases but I didn't want the list to become so big it was unwieldy so I went for 25 cases plus the catch all "Another".

If anyone is interested, my #26 would be the George Storrs Murder in 1909.

Well, I did include 3 Australian cases and all have at least one vote. There are lots of "good" cases but I didn't want the list to become so big it was unwieldy so I went for 25 cases plus the catch all "Another".

My vote was the 1 for Shirley Collins.

I use to constantly use youtube and more specifically the CIA or crine investigation australia it is a show that is equel to our 48 hours mystrery but they do cases from there and it's awesome they have all the cases that you have heard of and alot that you have not heard of thats what intrigued me so much about the beaumont children and the wanda beach murders but theres many more bodies in a barell and the butchered boys are also some good ones mind you not all are unsolved however .Check them out on youtube under CIA or Crime Investigation Australia .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back