Classic Cold Murder Case of Most Interest Poll

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What classic unsolved murder case interests you most?

• Thames Torso Murders(1887-89)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack the Ripper(1888)

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • Borden Murders(1892)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Gatton Mystery(1898)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cincinnati Streetcar Killer(1904-10)

• Caroline Luard Slaying(1908)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Villisca Ax Murders(1912)

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • New Orleans Axeman(1918-19)

• Julia Wallace Murder(1931)

• Brighton Trunk Mystery(1934)

• Cleveland Torso Slayer(1934-38)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Lord Errol Murder(1941)

• Texarkana Phantom(1946)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Black Dahlia(1947)

Votes: 47 15.4%
  • Taman Shud(1948)

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Shirley Collins Murder(1953)

• Boston Strangler(1962-64)

• Jack the Stripper(1963-65)

• Indiana Dunes Vanishings(1966)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Bible John(1968-69)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Zodiac(1968-69)

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • Babysitter(1976-77)

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Original Night Stalker(1979-85)

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • Tylenol Poisonings(1982)

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Gregory Villemin Slaying(1984)

• Another Please Tell Which

Votes: 32 10.5%

• Total voters
I chose another-the Grimes sisters murders in Chicago 1956. I also find the Fort Worth Trio case interesting, but I suppose that could not be included in this poll as it is a disappearance.

Disappearances that are presumed murders are eligible as in Indiana Dunes.

I chose another-the Grimes sisters murders in Chicago 1956. I also find the Fort Worth Trio case interesting, but I suppose that could not be included in this poll as it is a disappearance.

If I'd made the list ten longer, the Grimes Sisters would have been on there.

If I'd made the list ten longer, the Grimes Sisters would have been on there.

I would also include the murder of Mae Andersen which occurred around the same time.

Although they think they know who the murderer was, weren't able to get the evidence and he was acquitted of another murder at that time.

But there are some on the list which also have a solid suspect - Lord Erroll.

I have a couple of book suggestions if you haven't already read them.

Killer Women - Fatal South African Females - by Chris Karsten - this has the incident with the actress Charlize Theron - who's mother killed her father. From this description it looks like she got away with murder.

Two books by Cal Millar

Find My Killer - Crime Stoppers: Unsolved Homicides

I'm missing, please find me.

Wish there was a book on the Indiana Dunes, and a decent one on the Grimes Sisters.

I would also include the murder of Mae Andersen which occurred around the same time.

I meant, Judith Mae Andersen, who was dismembered and put into a 55 gallon barrel.

I meant, Judith Mae Andersen, who was dismembered and put into a 55 gallon barrel.

That one has even been thrown in with Cleveland Torso of late - a major stretch, I think.

That one has even been thrown in with Cleveland Torso of late - a major stretch, I think.

I would agree.

She doesn't fit the profile of the other victims at all.

I believe there was more than one killer in Cleveland. I think the males - which were more of a sexual nature and didn't have the complete dismemberment of the others were one group.

The others may have been copy cats or someone just trying to get rid of the body.

I think some of the women who were found in the lake may not have even been murdered since so much of the body was just missing, which would tend to happen when you're in the water for a long time.

Now the ones in Pennsylvania, I think may have all been one killer as they were all similar and found the same place.

Taman Shud has more interest than I'd expected.

Not that it isn't a fascinating case, just that I wasn't aware that many people knew about it.

I only heard about Taman Shud about 5 years ago so I must be less astute than many.:eek:

I only heard about Taman Shud about 5 years ago so I must be less astute than many.:eek:

I only heard about it when I started getting books on Australian murders.

I was getting bored with American murders - they seemed to be the same killers over and over and never one's I'd really like to read about. Which is why I love that new show on Discovery - A Crime To Remember - I've heard of all the crimes but have never seen any show about them.

I had exhausted most of the one's from Great Britain - The books on their pathologists - Bernard Spilsbury, Sydney Smith and Keith Simpson were fascinating and covered almost all the great British Murders.

So I started to get books from Australia and they are great reads, especially the books by Paul B. Kidd - which are anthologies, so you get a lot of different cases - the most interesting are his Never To Be Released series. - And I always thought of Australia as a peaceful kind of place.

Several come to mind, but probably the Grimes sisters in 1956.

My vote certainly goes to the Grimes sisters case, but also to the many other cases that plagued Chicago at that time.
The Peterson/Scheussler murders for one. Kenneth Hansen was convicted for their murder but it is very unlikely that he really committed the crime. Like Bennie Bedwell in the Grimes case, Hansen was a convenient criminal that filled the need for a perpetrator. Unlike Bedwell, Hansen was sentenced to life. The Judith Mae Anderson case is another. In fact, there were at least a dozen or so missing young girls who disappeared around that time, many of which were never heard from again.

There was likely a serial killer going around the city at that time but the term never existed back then. There are many similarities between the Judith Mae Anderson case and the Bonnie Lee Scott case of a year later. Although Charles Melquist was convicted for killing Scott, the evidence was very thin and the case relied heavily on his alleged confession which he immediately retracted.

I would love to have a good book written about the Grimes case and Judith Anderson.

There have been a couple on the Peterson/Scheussler case.

I would also like to see something done on one of the true crime programs - possibly the new Crime To Remember Show, as I've never seen anything done about any of these cases.

I would include Margaret Gallagher who was murdered on a beach while a witness watched through a spy glass. Barry Cook was tried for the crime and found not guilty, and he was also suspected of having killed Judith Mae Anderson, but I think because of the suspicious way her friend's family acted that she may have never left that house.

I would love to have a good book written about the Grimes case and Judith Anderson.

There have been a couple on the Peterson/Scheussler case.

I would also like to see something done on one of the true crime programs - possibly the new Crime To Remember Show, as I've never seen anything done about any of these cases.

I would include Margaret Gallagher who was murdered on a beach while a witness watched through a spy glass. Barry Cook was tried for the crime and found not guilty, and he was also suspected of having killed Judith Mae Anderson, but I think because of the suspicious way her friend's family acted that she may have never left that house.

Meet the man who most likely killed the Scheussler/Peterson boys.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2007/06/suspect_in_sex_.html

Has anyone ever seen the full documentry called......... Villisca - Living with a Mystery .............. there are alot out there however there is only one real one most are related to it being haunted or some crap ..Still don't know how you chop off 8 heads with no one waking.in the time of no electricity.no lights so its candles all out its dark ..have you ever seen the picture of the guy that they took in the night prior..he was a stranger photographed with too kids ,,unbelievabley eerie....

I forget who but i posted a message on the girls case the grimes sisters and the lyons .and got a message back telling me to be patiend she is doing a documentry on all those cases...

Jonbenet Ramsey's case isnt there...that is one baffling case, cold as ice.

I didn't put Ramsey on the list because it's not 20 years old yet-my own personal threshold.

If I was making up a new poll in a couple of years, Ramsey would definitely be on the list.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back