Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still do not understand why Chase Merritt’s case is a death penalty case when he won’t be put to death regardless of the outcome.
California hasn't abolished the death penalty, but they haven't executed any one in a long time, too long IMO. Earlier this year, the Governor placed a moratorium on executions. That doesn't mean, at some point under another administration (in CA), the moratorium won't be lifted, it just means that the death penalty in CA is more of an administrative death penalty for now. People spend decades in prison, so theoretically it's possible that it could happen during CMs lifetime. I also think that the possibility, however unlikely, imposes an additional stressor for the accused, and that's a good thing... Anything to make him more uncomfortable, fearful, full of dread, worried, depressed, hopeless, sad etc. IMO anything that gives him even a tiny glimpse of what the family went through.

ETA I guess I could have summed it all up by saying "Hope springs eternal"

Last edited:
Does the penalty phase begin immediately after the verdict is read? Otherwise, this delayed verdict announcement helps no one.

Generally there is a 24-48 hour "cooling off" period before the sentencing phase begins. We are watching that with the Tim Jones trial now. He was found guilty of murder x 5. Then there was a 2 day break and now it's in the sentencing phase, which is basically a mini trial.

So it actually would have been perfect to announce the verdict on a Friday, returning Monday if the verdict was guilty. But the court doesn't time things like I'd like them to.

I still do not understand why Chase Merritt’s case is a death penalty case when he won’t be put to death regardless of the outcome.

There is a quote from another, horrific case of a 4 year old girl who was brutal murdered that always stands out when this is asked.

"We're going to seek the death penalty in this case because justice for the sadistic torture and death of this child demands it," said Sheffield.

TX - Breonna Loftin, 4, tortured, beaten to death, Kountze, 17 Aug 2011 *J. Delacerda- Guilty

I suspect it is similar here. If there was EVER a case which called for the death penalty, it is the McStay family.

While many death row inmates are never executed, I think it's a comfort that they are on death row instead of just sentenced to life.

We've seen people sentenced to "life" who are released. If you are on death row, you aren't going to be released early. I think that is a comfort to some. Especially in the really scary serial killer cases.

There is also the isolation that occurs on death row. There isn't general population. Though, I've heard that Scott Peterson has it pretty good, so maybe it's not so bad?

I don't know. I know it is a huge extra expense. I'm guessing the lack of executions may also play a part in juries decisions to sentence someone to death. I don't care if they are executed or die naturally in prison... I just don't want them leaving alive.

Death row prisoners in Calif will NEVER be put to death. But they don't have a lot of freedom to my understanding.

MOO
Good post. I have mixed emotions about it.
If it were me, gawd forbid, I might be looking to end it all as opposed to facing the rest of my life in prison.
Having said that, look at many facing death in the eleventh hour pleading for mercy. Clinging on to life.
Like Ted Bundy. One of the worst of the worst.

But I wonder if over the years, crime hasn't really gotten worse compared to the population growth and people being more aware because of TV, the internet, etc.
Does that make sense? lol

MOO

Yes, you always make sense, Cricket.

The worst homicide rates in our country was in the 1990s. Iirc homicides ballooned to over 18k per average year with a far less population.

The amount of homicide crimes have decreased overall even though we are more populated now. That's good news that hardly gets covered.

However, what I have seen change when murderers do kill others, is the way many are carrying out a lot of murders which are very heinous brutal overkills.

At one time when LE found victims overkilled they immediately assumed back then it was most likely a family member or someone very close to them. LE cant have that tunnel vision view any longer, and must consider all possibilities now.

We have unfortunately discussed, and followed many such cases in recent years. For example, for a long time home invaders chose to break in when no one was home. Now more, and more we are seeing strangers invade homes day or night no longer wary the homes are occupied nor do they seem to care. They now repeatedly rape women, and small children, do prolonged hours of tortures before finally murdering everyone inside of the homes. Etc.

What I'm saying is even though violent homicides have declined overall the manner, and brutality many are carrying out has heightened imo.

I don't know the answer, except I think many in our society values human life less, and less. Many have become souless individuals without any conscience.

I believe why these type of murderers can be, and are so unbelievably cruel is they know they can be, and want to be. Enjoying inflicting horrible pain on those they know are unable to stop them, and they know they are in full control. It no longer matters if the murderers know the victims or not.

Unfortunately, many still are just like CM. That is why he is ONE of the worst.

Tragically we will see more to come just like we have seen other monsters like him in the past, and after he murdered his four victims.

I hope I'm making sense so you understand what I'm trying to convey. :)

Imo, the mindset of many killers have become even darker in recent years.

Jmho

Last edited:

I think it's because death row prisoners are treated much differently than the general prison population. And who knows.... we (Califorians) might get a good governor one day that can follow what us tax payers vote on.

MOO

Last edited:
California hasn't abolished the death penalty, but they haven't executed any one in a long time, too long IMO. Earlier this year, the Governor placed a moratorium on executions. That doesn't mean, at some point under another administration (in CA), the moratorium won't be lifted, it just means that the death penalty in CA is more of an administrative death penalty for now. People spend decades in prison, so theoretically it's possible that it could happen during CMs lifetime. I also think that the possibility, however unlikely, imposes an additional stressor for the accused, and that's a good thing... Anything to make him more uncomfortable, fearful, full of dread, worried, depressed, hopeless, sad etc. IMO anything that gives him even a tiny glimpse of what the family went through.

ETA I guess I could have summed it all up by saying "Hope springs eternal"

ITA!

MOO

Yes, you always make sense, Cricket.

The worst homicide rates in our country was in the 1990s. Iirc homicides ballooned to over 18k per average year with a far less population.

The amount of violent crimes have decreased overall even though we are more populated now. That's good news that hardly gets covered.

However, what I have seen change when murderers do kill others, is the way many are carrying out a lot of murders which are very heinous brutal overkills.

At one time when LE found victims overkilled they immediately assumed back then it was most likely a family member or someone very close to them. LE cant have that tunnel vision view any longer, and must consider all possibilities now.

We have unfortunately discussed, and followed many such cases in recent years. For example, for a long time home invaders chose to break in when no one was home. Now more, and more we are seeing strangers invade homes day or night no longer wary the homes are occupied nor do they seem to care. They now repeatedly rape women, and small children, do prolonged hours of tortures before finally murdering everyone inside of the homes. Etc.

What I'm saying is even though violent homicides have declined overall the manner, and brutality many are carrying out has heightened imo.

I don't know the answer, except I think many in our society values human life less, and less. Many have become souless individuals without any conscience.

I believe why these type of murderers can be, and are so unbelievably cruel is they know they can be, and want to be. Enjoying inflicting horrible pain on those they know are unable to stop them, and they know they are in full control. It no longer matters if the murderers know the victims or not.

Unfortunately, many still are just like CM. That is why he is ONE of the worst.

Tragically we will see more to come just like we have seen other monsters like him in the past, and after he murdered his four victims.

I hope I'm making sense so you understand what I'm trying to convey. :)

Imo, the mindset of many killers have become even darker in recent years.

Jmho

I understand what you are saying. It's the same with car jacking.. cars are so secure that they have be carjacked while someone is in them. Sigh

MOO

I think it's because death row prisoners are treated much definitely than the general prison population. And who knows.... we (Califorians) might get a good governor one day that can follow what us tax payers vote on.

MOO

I really hope you all get to see what you voted on, and want it carried out.

Its just wrong that one politician can go against what the majority wants, and voted on.

It's really a slap in the face to those who voted wanting the death penalty imposed when warranted.

It's also a slap in the face to the over 700 CA juries who sat in judgement carefully weighing the sentence of death. All their time, and effort when carefully weighing the just punishment... in the end meant nothing to the government who refuses to carry them out.

I really dont care if CM is executed or dies in prison. I want him on death row though with big letters of 'DR' on his inmate jumpsuit.

He will know there is a possibilty he is a dead man walking, and executions may start happening again with a date by his name.

He doesn't deserve any other punishment than the harshest allowed under CA law. Death row is the only place he deserves to be.

Jmho

Good post. I have mixed emotions about it.
If it were me, gawd forbid, I might be looking to end it all as opposed to facing the rest of my life in prison.
Having said that, look at many facing death in the eleventh hour pleading for mercy. Clinging on to life.
Like Ted Bundy. One of the worst of the worst.

It has been awhile, but I believe DP Inmates on DR are now housed 2 to a cell. They are basically allowed out of their cell for 1 hr a day for recreation/phone calls etc. I may be totally off, but that is what I have been told w/in the last few years.

I followed this case for years, but recently, I have been too busy to follow the trial. I believe CM is guilty of this crime. Does it look like he may be convicted or does the case look iffy? Sometimes the evidence is not enough to convict a suspect. Would love opinions on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I followed this case for years, but recently, I have been too busy to follow the trial. I believe CM is guilty of this crime. Does it look like he may be convicted or does the case look iffy? Sometimes the evidence is not enough to convict a suspect. Would love opinions on this. Thanks in advance!

I think the prosecution (Melissa Rodriguez) nailed it in their rebuttal closing and he is going to be found
guilty! MOO

I remember you McSpy, nice to see you back!

I suppose it depends on who you ask as to whether there is enough evidence to convict CM, I think there is evidence o'plenty, some are on the fence and a few think there are innocent explanations for all of it. The current poll is 150 for guilty, 13 for not guilty, if that gives you some measure.

EIP checks (in CM's name) created, back dated, deleted, forged and cashed (created through Quickbooks)
CM impersonating JM trying to get the Quickbooks account that he printed the checks from deleted
CM's dna on the driver's side of JM's Isuzu
CM's phone pinging in the grave site area 2 days after the murders

There's more that is slipping my mind at the moment, but I think that's enough to convict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking