Closing arguments- thread #173

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When the judge gave the schedule last week she said the jury would get the case today. I also think she said they would deliberate Monday. I'm thinking since court ALWAYS starts late, and since she won't have to do the jury instructions like she did yesterday that Nurmi could get his 5 hours (if that is the agreement for each side) that they could possibly start deliberating about 3:00 AZ time today.:twocents:

But Juan gets his second big bang after Nurmi .... so I don't think the jury will get the case until Monday after Juan finishes. Unless the Judge makes them do a marathon day today and stay until all is said and done.

So I took today off to watch closing arguments in peace. A coworker just noticed I'm out and texted me and said, "Keep me posted. Today must be closing arguments?" Hahahahahahaaaa!!! How embarrassing! I very rarely talk about cases with coworkers because they just aren't interested. I have no idea how he put the two together.

I use to ask myself the same questions, and must admit I have wondered on occasion how both Nurmi and Wilmott can look at themselves in the mirror everyday. Each time this thought enters my mind I think back to Daniel Horowitz, the lawyer whose wife was brutally slaughtered by a 17 year old punk for absolutely no reason. Daniel was amazing during that event and he demonstrated how important it is to sustain the adversarial system we have. I learned to agree with him because it is important. I no longer look at defense lawyers as slimey creatures, instead I understand and accept the need for them and am even thankful. As much as it pains me to say it, defense lawyers are just as essential in the fight for justice as are prosecutors. Even so, I realize there are in fact some bad defense lawyers, there are also some bad prosecutors. It happens.

For those who will be going through trial withdrawal after this (and anyone else) I highly reccommend the movie "Murder on a Sunday Morning" (Oscar winner for best documentary) It will remind you of the need for good defense attorneys and actually make you root for one.

Did Jodi actually say she returned the gas can TO THE SAME WALMART? (I am aware there are posts saying there was only one Walmart in Salinas until 2010.) But, Nurmi objected TWICE yesterday when Juan stated she said the "SAME STORE". He's got something up his sleeve, me thinks.:banghead:

I don't want Nurmi to be able to refute a single word of Juan's closing. It would look bad to the jury. TIA

Will we ever get to see transcripts of sidebars?

I believe 2 months ago the Judge ruled on this as I recall, she indicated that after the verdict was done and it was over, many transcripts of side bars would then be released. However if there was a sidebar with information that could interfere with the Defendants (or murderer's) rights during what could be her appeal period, only those would remain under seal. In addition, if it contained names or information of people in the public that could cause harm to them, those would also remain under seal.

Hi everyone. Sure hope ALV was charged with perjury. If not, certainly her career has taken a dive. My doc appt is today so I didn't miss JM after all and certainly won't mind if I happen to miss Nurmi, Wilmot or which ever thinks they can pull a rabbit out of their hat today.
Since ALV was a large part of the Def., I am wondering how KN will handle her testimony in his closing. JM took her down big time yesterday.

Interesting. I wonder if ALV admitted to lying during that hearing, thereby opening the door for JM to repeatedly tell the jury she lied during his close? Being charged with perjury is certainly not something she would want made public (unless she wanted to add that small detail to her already questionable CV :floorlaugh:).

Hope ALV's clients were watching yesterday. :floorlaugh:

I really hope we find out what went on with ALV. This is just my opinion but, there should be some sanctioning of "experts" who have no actual professional performance, i.e. hired guns. As such, they should be banned forever from testifying. Again my opinion, upon hearing Ms. Alyce admitting to apologizing to the killer should have thrown out her testimony. I just do not see any justice in "experts" who have agenda's and/or bias. Watching Alyce, I don't believe I saw anything different than anyone else here - she was biased, she was arrogant, and she totally failed at being honest, fair, and true to her own profession. I shudder to think of the men and children, especially the children, who have suffered by the flapping of her lips. JMO - she is disgraceful.

But Juan gets his second big bang after Nurmi .... so I don't think the jury will get the case until Monday after Juan finishes. Unless the Judge makes them do a marathon day today and stay until all is said and done.

First I read that that there are no deliberations on weekends because there is no security at the courthouse. But then yesterday someone posted that the jury can choose to deliberate over the weekend if they wish. Anyone know which is true?

Did Jodi actually say she returned the gas can TO THE SAME WALMART? (I am aware there are posts saying there was only one Walmart in Salinas until 2010.) But, Nurmi objected TWICE yesterday when Juan stated she said the "SAME STORE". He's got something up his sleeve, me thinks.:banghead:

I don't want Nurmi to be able to refute a single word of Juan's closing. It would look bad to the jury. TIA

She did the say the same Walmart. I just posted a transcript up thread.

I think in order to do that job one glosses over the facts, for lack of a better term, sort of a practiced denial. But i think JW glossed over a bit too much, that BFF act was repulsive, far beyond the call of duty IMO.

It seemed days, if not weeks, went by in the trial with no actual mention of the murder. Test this, score that, anal this, oral that, borderline this, PretendTsd that.... it would be easy for one to sort of forget exactly what she did.

There was a point there during Juan's closing where she looked like she got hit with a bat and maybe she was actually processing what Jodi did in those last few minutes of Travis's life. How could you not, that part, the description of the murder, was riveting.

Exactly! Jodi was just all over the map yesterday ... She laughed, she "cried" (but sneaked a look at each new photo through her hair curtain and bent finger) ...she winced and snickered she talked to herself ... shook her head, flipped her hair ... She was seething ... JW on the other hand ... like you said ... it was the first occasion she just had to SIT and LISTEN ...and I got the impression it made her sick.

After watching the Maestro Juan yesterday, saw reruns of ALV on HLN of her testiPHONY and it sounded even more sickening than the first time.

ALV didn't produce a report, just her disjointed notes taken during her 44 hrs. with JA. She contradicted her notes on the stand re whether JA told her she shot Travis (rather than the gun going off accidentally), whether JA told her she shot him in the closet (rather than the bathroom), and perhaps more. To JM imo that disparity represented intentional lying. Ditto ALV's refusal to admit TA's written "I'm extremely afraid of Jodi" expressed how he felt at that time. IOW, ALV refused to believe both Travis' words and her own in service to JA.

BBM

The fact she didn't submit a report is suspect right off the bat. A true professional would have a report. The DT fought to keep ALV's notes from the prosecution - why?

Because ALV is a bold face liar and IMO the DT knew she would lie on the stand. I don't know which is worse - ALV lying or the DT knowing she'd lie on the stand. Both are reprehensible IMO.

You're right!

Can The State have Arias' testimony read back to verify Arias' sworn testimony about the gas can? Can The State have Arias' testimony read back to verify that Arias' sworn testimony states that as she is standing over her murder victim Travis Alexander's bloody body that she had not shot him ... yet?

I find it so disturbing that as Juan Martinez is speaking the truth during his opening testimony - not any speculative truth - the truth according Arias' sworn testimony - Arias responds to these truthful statements (again statements that she made during her trial) in a "not at all" manner.

Looking at Arias' courtroom behavior, and, not choosing to behave appropriate during The State's Closing is baffling to me. Arias, if she wanted to, could transform her courtroom behavior - Arias, if she wanted to could be: The Impeccable Defendant.

Instead Arias seems to only want to front "Anathema Arias."

Ya. It's almost like, oh I don't know, SHE'S BAT***** CRAZY?:scared:

I am pretty sure that if she didn't say it outright when questioned by JM that she at least alluded to the fact she did. She was intent on making it clear that she returned it for cash, as if that would have made a difference in procedures. The actual discussion on where she returned it is lost in my memory because of the 'cash' portion that she stated several times. I will see if I can find the link with that portion of the trial for you.

K

ETA: I see that your question was answered with a link reference.

I believe 2 months ago the Judge ruled on this as I recall, she indicated that after the verdict was done and it was over, many transcripts of side bars would then be released. However if there was a sidebar with information that could interfere with the Defendants (or murderer's) rights during what could be her appeal period, only those would remain under seal. In addition, if it contained names or information of people in the public that could cause harm to them, those would also remain under seal.

Hmmm I wonder if that would pertain to ALV???!?

Sent from my left shoe using GetSmart Technology

Can someone help me with this question? Okay JM took all of yesterday to do his closing. NO DOUBT Nurmi will do the same, either from being a turtle or spite. Do you guys think the jury will get the case today?

I DO NOT. Hell JM gets the last word and Nurmi will NOT let that happen today.

Thoughts?

Good Morning. It's raining here....ugh! I heard JM's closing was a total of 3 1/2 hours. I pray that kn can do it in that length of time as well....although I doubt it. :banghead::banghead:

BBM

The fact she didn't submit a report is suspect right off the bat. A true professional would have a report. The DT fought to keep ALV's notes from the prosecution - why?

Because ALV is a bold face liar and IMO the DT knew she would lie on the stand. I don't know which is worse - ALV lying or the DT knowing she'd lie on the stand. Both are reprehensible IMO.

Which makes the fact that Wilmot was all over Dr. Horn for a typo even more ridiculous. AT least he HAD a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
there always an answer