Closing arguments- thread #173

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only watched Juan's opening statement and about 10 minutes of Willmott's. Wasn't hers shorter? I'm wondering if Nurmi will take as long as Juan with closing....

I'll be watching with my TV/computer on mute today. I know they're going to play the sex tape again or else talk about it extensively and I cannot bear that again. I've heard it enough and it has absolutely nothing to do with Travis' murder.

:seeya: Good Morning, Y'All !

I was only able to watch the 1st and 2nd parts of Mr. Martinez's Closing Argument yesterday, and WOW . WOW . WOW !

:fireworks:

Mr. Martinez was absolutely FANTASTIC ! He laid it out so well and was so detailed ! I really like how he went into the details of JA "staging the scene." I was in AWE watching him !

The defense needs to "hang it up" now ... lol ! Mr. Martinez clearly PROVED 1st Degree Pre-Meditated Murder !

Back to catching up and thanks for the updates and videos !

:please::please::please: Justice for Travis !

This is another reason I think the DT said they couldn't scheduled dr. G until weds. If they want to they can draw things out so they get the last word before the weekend. JM will say his final on mon but they will have had a long time since thurs to lose some of JM momentum. Typical manipulation/stalling moves by the DT.

It won't matter what the defense says, it will all be lies.

This is another reason I think the DT said they couldn't scheduled dr. G until weds. If they want to they can draw things out so they get the last word before the weekend. JM will say his final on mon but they will have had a long time since thurs to lose some of JM momentum. Typical manipulation/stalling moves by the DT.

And if that doesn't work, Nurmi will be sick.

So this was all court time? After 3 months its ONLY 100 hours? It seems so much more than that!

K

So she billed 100 hours for passing notes between Jodi and her family members and trying to soothe the murderess' feathers...seriously ?

I didn't finish watching the closing until late last night - couple of observations

When JM started talking about the murder itself and showed the photos, Wilmott seemed to (finally) disconnect from her killer sorority sister. I watched her face closely and I think she was reminded of just how evil Jodi is. For the rest of closing Wilmott put space between her and Jodi and was facing Juan for the first time in ages. She actually ignored the killer at one point.

I had to smile when Juan was discussing the difference between direct and circumstantial evidence, the beach analogy. At one point he said, so you're there on the beach, "got your Wayfarers on" which is a line straight out of Don Henley's 'Boys of Summer"

I don't know how anyone could listen to that and not vote M1. Nurmi's just going to talk about sex, I think everyone is so over that, nobody believes the jacked-up abuse stories, I really don't know what he could add.

BBM

I completely agree with your keen observations regarding the defense attorney. I, too, caught that moment when it appeared that a little light bulb illuminated her realization that she has been defending a murderess who viciously killed an innocent human being.

JW appeared almost remorseful for a moment.

I saw her begin to disengage from the defendant with her body language. She knows she has to be cautious now. Her client's manipulations are subtle and dangerous. If the defendant has any information about JW's personal life --her e-mail address, her family, her car -- her safety could be compromised.

It will be interesting to observe her body language today.

I really do believe that ALV has been charged with perjury. The defense didn't jump to object any of the times Juan called her out on being a LIAR. To me, that is telling. Also, Juan doesn't take kindly to lying. Thirdly, Alyce got a whoppin' so I hear while in chambers being questioned by Juan. I doubt Alyce with her pseudo freudian glasses and tweetie bird hairdo will be testifying in more trials anytime soon.

She just likes to be in the light so she can try to cast a REALLY BIG shadow, but ends up makin' stink all over the place instead.

I love Juan. He knows his *advertiser censored*.

Oh now we know ALV will just say it was just a little white lie and Dr. G. will back her up by saying she was just exaggerating. Juan just wants to be so "technical" because he's in a court of law and she is testifying under oath where lying is just not acceptable and even a crime. And we all know ALV would have no reason to lie. She just likes to embellish. She's done. I don't know how she could ever recovery from this other than to say defense never revealed certain information to her and she was duped by Jodi. Too little, too late and it's still lying under oath.

I honestly don't know what to expect from today's closing arguments, but then again I've never followed a case.

Martinez was thoroughly convincing to me in terms of labeling JA as a liar. I can't imagine what Nurmi could possibly say to lead me to believe otherwise. The myth of Sisyphus is apt here, in that chronic deceitfulness led to his punishment. No matter how hard Nurmi tries to push his rock of a fabiracation up the hill, the lies will roll back on him.

The "That's my story and I'm sticking to it" tactic seems counter-intuitive from my (biased) perspective, with Mr. Martinez thoroughly explaining how crime of passion cannot be applied with Travis being killed three times over. Plenty of time for "cooling off".

The DT fought hard for gun first. Likewise, their questions tried to preserve the PTSD diagnosis, albeit they shifted the traumatic event from the killing that created the "fog" to domestic violence. Did jurors' questions seem to give them any wiggle room? How much input does JA have in this phase of her case? Her behavior yesterday during Martinez's closing was quite stunning in that she mumbled to herself, shook her head, smirked and yes, "cried" without tears. It did not match what I would expect to see from someone potentially hours away from guilty verdict that could result in the death penalty; perhaps in her twisted mind, she firmly believes this will not happen. If she is still driving things, expect to see Travis's reputation maligned as much as possible, in spite of any warnings she might have to the contrary.

The other major thing that I see as problematic for the DT is the perception of manipulation by the DT itself; this is above and beyond J's lies. The jury learned that ALV reviewed materials that were cherry picked for her. The DT misled Dr. Geffner in representations regarding Dr. DeMarte. JW misled the jury with her questions to Geffner about remuneration. This jury has been super, super sharp with their questions and recall of testimony, so the DT needs to be very, very careful in closing not to place themselves in the position that their entire case is disregarded due to perceived manipulation.

BBM

I completely agree with your keen observations regarding the defense attorney. I, too, caught that moment when it appeared that a little light bulb illuminated her realization that she has been defending a murderess who viciously killed an innocent human being.

JW appeared almost remorseful for a moment.

I saw her begin to disengage from the defendant with her body language. She knows she has to be cautious now. Her client's manipulations are subtle and dangerous. If the defendant has any information about JW's personal life --her e-mail address, her family, her car -- her safety could be compromised.

It will be interesting to observe her body language today.

JW has nothing to worry about. JA will not be around doing her evil deeds for a looong long time.
Stay Positive. And JW? lighten up. it will all be over soon.
JW needs to lighten up.

So she billed 100 hours for passing notes between Jodi and her family members and trying to soothe the murderess' feathers...seriously ?

No. This is for future billing during the guilt phase of the trial. At least that is what the Motion appears to reflect.

Have another question. Why didn't JM check with both walmarts in Salinas just to be on the safe side? You know the defense is going to say she returned it to the other one!

Someone probably answered this already but I am a few pages behind. The second Walmart in Salinas was NOT open in 2008. So, therefore, it was impossible for her to return it there. :seeya:

Oh now we know ALV will just say it was just a little white lie and Dr. G. will back her up by saying she was just exaggerating. Juan just wants to be so "technical" because he's in a court of law and she is testifying under oath where lying is just not acceptable and even a crime. And we all know ALV would have no reason to lie. She just likes to embellish. She's done. I don't know how she could ever recovery from this other than to say defense never revealed certain information to her and she was duped by Jodi. Too little, too late and it's still lying under oath.

She was almost certainly domestically abused by a man though, so that excuses everything. :blushing:

I didn't finish watching the closing until late last night - couple of observations

When JM started talking about the murder itself and showed the photos, Wilmott seemed to (finally) disconnect from her killer sorority sister. I watched her face closely and I think she was reminded of just how evil Jodi is. For the rest of closing Wilmott put space between her and Jodi and was facing Juan for the first time in ages. She actually ignored the killer at one point.

I had to smile when Juan was discussing the difference between direct and circumstantial evidence, the beach analogy. At one point he said, so you're there on the beach, "got your Wayfarers on" which is a line straight out of Don Henley's 'Boys of Summer"

I don't know how anyone could listen to that and not vote M1. Nurmi's just going to talk about sex, I think everyone is so over that, nobody believes the jacked-up abuse stories, I really don't know what he could add.

I re-watched the last part of the closing this morning. I was struck by the EXACT SAME OBSERVATION. JW looked like she had been slapped into reality for a few minutes there. It was awesome.

Question : Does anyone know IF there is a "time limit" for the defense's Closing Argument today ? THANKS !

No doubt the defense will drag this out ...

But seriously, what more can they say ? Their defense was an EPIC FAIL ... LOL !

My Son the Lawyer has been watching the trial the past few weeks and has been saying the jury will go for 1st degree murder, but not the death penalty.

I got two texts from him yesterday:

"Juan is killing it."

"I may have been wrong...they may vote death."

I do wish during the trial JM would have pushed JA on HOW she knew TA was dead. She said she knew something terrible had happened, and that she had been with TA but HOW did she know he was dead? Did she remember checking his pulse? If she can't answer than JM could have made not calling 911 even bigger if there was a chance after all he could have been helped. She either knew he was dead or she let him die

How can the DT claim "heat of passion" when the last pic of Travis alive shows him right before the attack sitting helplessly on the shower floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d_z