OK, Blayne Davis, 19, Found Drowned After Camping at Keystone Lake, March 19th 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sandy.kay

Reaction score

There is also an episode of "Cold Justice" on the case.

There are lots of other articles as well, I won't post them all but searching for Blayne Davis drown on a search engine will direct you to many articles. I was surprised there was nothing on him on here so I thought I would start a thread. I have always wondered what really happened.

Blake Davis was a 19 year old male teen that went with one of his best friends, JO, and JO's uncle that was close in age, CO on a camping trip to Keystone Lake. Blayne Davis was reported missing the next day, and found in deceased in the lake a day after that. There were many odd circumstances surrounding his death. It seems unclear whether it was an accidental drowning or something more nefarious.

The autopsy report showed that Davis died of drowning, manner of death being unknown. His tox screen showed Xanax (alprazolam) and a small amount of methamphetamine. He did have some bruises, but no visible injuries to his hands. Witnesses (CO, JO and extended family) have reported oxycodone may have been consumed, which may not have been tested for according to the Cold Justice show but I was unable to find a link to this. A witness from just before the camping trip, also a relative of CO and JO, reported that the three friends were also drinking heavily, to the point they were falling over, before they made it to the lake.

The morning after the lake trip, JO and CO returned to their home (they lived with JO's grandmother). CO had very extensive abrasions on his face, legs, and lower torso, as well as a black eye, and his relatives said he was being supported by JO. CO did not have significant injuries to his hands. The mother of Davis called the home, looking for her son, and that is when JO and CO advised that they had looked for Davis for several hours but had assumed he got another ride home. They had left their camping gear and personal belongings, including Davis's wallet, CO's cell phone, a gun, etc., at the campsite. Various family members and CO reported that CO was very intoxicated that night, and alternated struggling up a rocky hill and passing out on it. JO reported that he was intoxicated and slept in the truck, where he was awaken by CO in the morning.

Investigators noted an area between where the body was found in the water, and the campsite where the ground was significantly deserved. The show speculated that the body probably wouldn't have traveled far however, because the water was so shallow where he was found.

CO and JO have both requested lawyers, but have also made statements that they do not remember most of the night. JO has had several TBI's since the incident, and CO was too intoxicated to remember much. Both have categorically denied harming Davis, to their knowledge. It's worth noting that the Cold Justice investigators believed it was an accidental drowning caused by intoxication, however it is a TV show for entertainment, and the Osage County Sheriff's Office has continued to solicit information over the years. Davis's mother has been outspoken about not believing that her son's death was a simple accident. (Reagan Ledbetter for instance.) She has further stated that there are many more details to support this that were not discussed on the show.

This case has bothered me for years, and I wondered if anyone had any theories or information. I recommend watching the episode also, as it includes evidence I can't find anywhere else. It's Cold Justice Season 5 Episode 4 - Down By The Lake.

well CO and JO must've felt responsible at the time otherwise why would they exit quickly, leaving important possessions behind?

well CO and JO must've felt responsible at the time otherwise why would they exit quickly, leaving important possessions behind?
That could be, and it's certainly an odd detail... to me it's so irrational either way. It does seem to suggest they left in a panic, but that doesn't really fit their story. It's also worth noting that JO said after he was awoken by CO knocking on the truck (at 8am he says), and discovered CO didn't know where Davis was, that he (JO) searched for Davis for 2 hours before leaving. I agree, one of the big questions is why spend 2 hours searching and not spend the short time it would take to collect their stuff?

I personally can't see why they would do this either way. If they left in a panic worried about Davis, why not just say that? Why not tell their parents they were concerned about Davis, and call his mother? If they knew something happened the night before, I still don't understand how it helps them to leave their items- that implicates them if anything.

The only thing I can think, is maybe since CO was in such rough shape, they decided to come back for it, or they were more concerned than they let on, either because of the situation of Davis disappearing after they were so intoxicated, or because they knew something had happened, and were thus acting irrationally. Neither seems to make much sense though.

I definitely agree that a number of things point toward JO and CO being concerned they would be held responsible. Otherwise why not try harder to make sure Davis was safe at home, or the raise the alarm? Did they think that because all of them were being reckless by becoming and allowing each other to become so intoxicated near a body of water? Did one of them supply the drugs or alcohol for the evening? Or was it something more nefarious?

I dunno; ya know I've been to many wild camping trips. People get too drunk; in the dark they stumble over firewood, they trip over a rainfly rope, they almost fall in the campfire. So I can see CO and Blayne having some bruises from those kinds of incidents alone, I can see this also causing disturbed ground.

And sometimes you can be so hungover that the ONLY thing you want to do is get back home to your AC/your toilet/your bed and you don't put much (or in this case ANY) effort into gathering your belongings before you leave. Where's my shoes? No clue. Where's my phone? Could be anywhere. My .380? Who cares, it was only $280.

If they were camping at a little-known, kind of local hangout place at the lake they may have just figured "I'll just come back tonight and get my stuff."

At one house party I threw; we all had wine, mimosas, hard liquor, beer, moonshine, and gas station synthetic weed. I woke up the next day with oars all over my house and had no clue when (or even IF) anyone had left. To my surprise there were two people asleep in my guest bedrooms. Their camp party sounds a lot like my house party; drugs & drinking and then really having no clue what had transpired. That was the most reckless thing I've ever done and I'm lucky no one got hurt.

I don't party like that anymore, now my idea of a fun night is take-out on the couch with my Lab laying against me while watching some nerdy fantasy show followed up by a nerdy fantasy book.

Sure it's possible that there was foul play involved, but I lean more toward this just being a very unfortunate accident caused by BD partying too hard.

Last edited:
Sure it's possible that there was foul play involved, but I lean more toward this just being a very unfortunate accident caused by BD partying too hard.

I agree that is definitely a possibility. I know what you mean, I partied way too hard in college too. I do think that is a distinct possibility, and is probably more likely than murder. JO and CO said they used Oxy that night, and while the tox screen for BD showed only Xanax and a small amount of meth, the show seemed to indicate the tox screen at the time probably didn't check for Oxy. Since Xanax is often used to enhance the effects of opiates, I would not be shocked if they were doing Xanax, Oxy, and drinking. Even two of those things in conjunction can seriously mess with your tolerance for either,

The only things that stick out to me about that, are that COs injuries were not a couple bruises, they were horrible, and JO says he spent two hours looking for BD. Also the lawyering up, but perhaps they supplied the drugs or alcohol and were worried about that. If he was so hung over, but not worried about BD, it's just a bit off to look that long though. In terms of COs injuries, they show them on the show: his knees down are covered in scratches, scrapes and abrasions, just COVERED. Not much above the knees. His lower back is similar just covered in the same, he has a black eye that is very swollen, and his face "looks like it has been sandblasted"- there a few inch patches that are covered in a thin scab, like when you scrape your knee. He says he kept trying to climb a (I assume very rocky) hill and passing out. Perhaps so. Just odd.

There is also an episode of "Cold Justice" on the case.

There are lots of other articles as well, I won't post them all but searching for Blayne Davis drown on a search engine will direct you to many articles. I was surprised there was nothing on him on here so I thought I would start a thread. I have always wondered what really happened.

Blake Davis was a 19 year old male teen that went with one of his best friends, JO, and JO's uncle that was close in age, CO on a camping trip to Keystone Lake. Blayne Davis was reported missing the next day, and found in deceased in the lake a day after that. There were many odd circumstances surrounding his death. It seems unclear whether it was an accidental drowning or something more nefarious.

The autopsy report showed that Davis died of drowning, manner of death being unknown. His tox screen showed Xanax (alprazolam) and a small amount of methamphetamine. He did have some bruises, but no visible injuries to his hands. Witnesses (CO, JO and extended family) have reported oxycodone may have been consumed, which may not have been tested for according to the Cold Justice show but I was unable to find a link to this. A witness from just before the camping trip, also a relative of CO and JO, reported that the three friends were also drinking heavily, to the point they were falling over, before they made it to the lake.

The morning after the lake trip, JO and CO returned to their home (they lived with JO's grandmother). CO had very extensive abrasions on his face, legs, and lower torso, as well as a black eye, and his relatives said he was being supported by JO. CO did not have significant injuries to his hands. The mother of Davis called the home, looking for her son, and that is when JO and CO advised that they had looked for Davis for several hours but had assumed he got another ride home. They had left their camping gear and personal belongings, including Davis's wallet, CO's cell phone, a gun, etc., at the campsite. Various family members and CO reported that CO was very intoxicated that night, and alternated struggling up a rocky hill and passing out on it. JO reported that he was intoxicated and slept in the truck, where he was awaken by CO in the morning.

Investigators noted an area between where the body was found in the water, and the campsite where the ground was significantly deserved. The show speculated that the body probably wouldn't have traveled far however, because the water was so shallow where he was found.

CO and JO have both requested lawyers, but have also made statements that they do not remember most of the night. JO has had several TBI's since the incident, and CO was too intoxicated to remember much. Both have categorically denied harming Davis, to their knowledge. It's worth noting that the Cold Justice investigators believed it was an accidental drowning caused by intoxication, however it is a TV show for entertainment, and the Osage County Sheriff's Office has continued to solicit information over the years. Davis's mother has been outspoken about not believing that her son's death was a simple accident. (Reagan Ledbetter for instance.) She has further stated that there are many more details to support this that were not discussed on the show.

This case has bothered me for years, and I wondered if anyone had any theories or information. I recommend watching the episode also, as it includes evidence I can't find anywhere else. It's Cold Justice Season 5 Episode

I'm very confused why there is no definitive answer as to what drugs and how much where in Blayne's system. They said he had Xanax in his system but they couldn't say how much. There was a- Blood Benzodiazepines by LCMS done at autopsy. And being all they did was test for Benzos that leaves me to believe they didn't find any pain pills in his system. And why can't we know the level of alcohol that was in his system? I just don't buy they were that wasted, his mother spoke to him. That was at the campsite, after they left the cousins shop. Remember,the cousin claims they were trashed when they left. They all know what happened and their all covering. Possibly out of fear. Did the uncle who got his *advertiser censored* beat owe someone money, drugs something? It looks like someone restrained Blayne by the wrist, probably while CO got his *advertiser censored* beat. Something was up with all those calls around 11pm that Charles made. Someone needs to get a handle on this. It's most likely why CO and JO seem innocent and guilty at the same time. It might also explain JO getting his head bashed in with a hammer and run down with a car. That just seems crazy in such a short time period those incidents happening to him.
A mass spectrometer combined with a liquid chromatograph can detect masses charac- teristic of a compound or of a class of compounds. The system can selectively detect compounds of interest in a complex matrix, thus making it easy to find and identify suspected impurities at trace levels.
https://www.agilent.com › documents
Basics of LC/MS (5968-2543E) - Agilent

Attachments

• IMG_20240818_151731877_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240818_151731877_HDR.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics