Found Deceased CO - Adam Gilbertson, 29, Denver, 14 Dec 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So looking at his "house" on google street view, the back alley actually has 6 electric meter boxes. I believe its a 6 unit place which any unusual noises should have been noticed? I live in the area and the walk to Syntax is very easy. I keep hearing when he left syntax, he crossed the street in the opposite direction of his house. To me this means he crossed Broadway which is pretty busy even at 1am and there is no corsswalk by syntax. I don't see why he would park across Broadway when there would be plenty of parking on the syntax side of the street. Also there is way easier neighborhood parking AND syntax has its own parking lot in the back. Crossing Broadway is the strangest thing to me because there is nothing open on that side at 1am. There are some apartment complexes (Denizen) that way where he could have been meeting someone. There is also the river but its incredibly hard to get to because you have to cross the highway unless he walked up to Alemeda. Earlier in the night He was at Triangle (maybe alone?), then Charlie's (alone?) , then Syntax (alone?) so my best guess is he wanted to be social and meet people.

OK. So just gonna throw this out there. I've been staring at the map showing the places he went to the night he disappeared. I don't know the temperature the night he disappeared but with it being Denver I'm pretty sure it was chilly if not outright cold. He didn't leave his apt to walk to Syntax, that's far, far to long of a walk from his apt in that kind of weather. He had to have driven to Syntax first then returned home.and after he got home something happened, something drew him outside and since the door was left unlocked he intended to return. If he was going to hurt himself I don't think he would have left an unlocked door. JMO

I was out drinking in denver that night (like 6 blocks from syntax, incidentally) and it wasn't cold at all. It was probably in the 40s when I went home at like 10pm, so at 1am maybe mid-30s?

There was no wind and no snow on the ground either. Being out on foot that night wouldn't be an issue, especially for a dude from minnesota.

Oh, none at all. I was throwing out scenarios of what might make someone in Denver leave their their car at home when going out late. I also have no proof that he went back downtown but that's still a reason (in my mind) someone might leave their car at home.

Also - this is Colorado where pot is legal. So "doing drugs" is something people from all walks of life do with less stigma than boozing. my opinion only, of course.

*sigh*
I was waiting for legalized pot to be brought up. It always is on here with missing CO people. It is never the reason why they went missing, though.

*sigh*
I was waiting for legalized pot to be brought up. It always is on here with missing CO people. It is never the reason why they went missing, though.

my point was not to bring up legal weed to say it's at all a reason for the disappearance. My intention was to illustrate that, in fact, smoking pot isn't a big deal - all sorts of people do it here but - getting back to my original point, those that do partake responsibly (like I do) try not to drive after consumption, so going out to "after party" with someone, if that would involve imbibing, would be a valid reason to leave your car at home. That's where this conversation started in the first place.

I think on these forums, especially with readers from around the world, it's important to set context about the environment the incident took place in. Plenty of folks smoke weed around here and we leave our cars at home - most of us are normal people. There are still plenty of communities that believe that weed is evil and linked to all sorts of crazy stuff.

ETA: and just to be clear - we haven't seen any evidence of any use of any substances other than alcohol and of the videos we have seen I don't see intoxicated behavior.

I think running through scenarios of why someone would leave the house without their car, after midnight, could help uncover ideas/leads.

If Adam had left the LODO/Ballpark area and was traveling home, he would have been southbound on Broadway (which is one-way). It would be natural for him to park his car across the street in the parking areas. We do not know if he parked his car at home and walked. I think that is a huge assumption. It would be more likely he parked near Syntax and he then drove home AFTER leaving that location. This would also explain why the keys were inside his apartment and car outside. It is more likely that his last known location is truly his residence. Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm this.

In terms of the ping on his phone. The phone was most likely powered off immediately after leaving Syntax. Email servers “push” emails every 5-10 minutes (set by user). If the phone was on, it would have pinged a tower the moment the email server pushed to his device.

As a former 20-year LE officer, my theory would be he switched his phone off, returned his car and keys to his apartment and the mystery continues from there.

Totally what I'm thinking. He left across the street from Syntax because that's where he parked. Went in, saw that either whomever he was trying to meet was not there or maybe it just was dead in there and he decided it wasn't worth his time. He went home (alone? With another person?), parked, entered in the side door (maybe the front door sticks. Maybe the side door is more private? Who knows), tossed his keys down, and then next is a mystery. Maybe he left it unlocked for a friend or boyfriend to come in? I don't think he came home first then out to another bar because who does that around midnight? When you're out, you're out until you decide to head home. We don't even know if he drove from the ballpark alone.

A few things have been mentioned:

Cold night to walk - eh, not really, in the 30's -20's at night recently (much colder these last few days), but he's from MN so this isn't really anything. Walking 8 minutes to a bar is nothing.

Last phone ping - his battery probably died. Could be the reason he went home before last call. If he was waiting to meet somebody, maybe he decided to go home and grab his charger.

IG video - does he have lot of followers? From MN? Maybe showing off or trying to make people jealous, or just being himself and trying to be funny/flirty. Not anything I'd consider worrisome.

Somebody mentioned a possible hit and run (or conceal a body)...no, not in this area. It's busy and well lit on Broadway, even at 1am.

my point was not to bring up legal weed to say it's at all a reason for the disappearance. My intention was to illustrate that, in fact, smoking pot isn't a big deal - all sorts of people do it here but - getting back to my original point, those that do partake responsibly (like I do) try not to drive after consumption, so going out to "after party" with someone, if that would involve imbibing, would be a valid reason to leave your car at home. That's where this conversation started in the first place.

I think on these forums, especially with readers from around the world, it's important to set context about the environment the incident took place in. Plenty of folks smoke weed around here and we leave our cars at home - most of us are normal people. There are still plenty of communities that believe that weed is evil and linked to all sorts of crazy stuff.

ETA: and just to be clear - we haven't seen any evidence of any use of any substances other than alcohol and of the videos we have seen I don't see intoxicated behavior.

I think running through scenarios of why someone would leave the house without their car, after midnight, could help uncover ideas/leads.

I did get it. Sorry, it's so hot button for me and it always comes up. Like these huge theories come riding on the coattails of legalized pot misunderstandings and all of the sudden we have a story where a missing jogger was involved with the Mexican drug cartel (Joe Keller). :gaah:

I think it's more important that his keys were there. Wouldn't you want to lock up and bring your house key? I honestly wonder (and it was doubted upthread), if his car was returned home "for" him (to throw people off), and keys tossed inside. Door remains unlocked because the keys are needed to lock it. People think that's crazy, but it happened with Danielle Stislicki (IMO).

It's also possible he left somewhere to harm himself, we've certainly seen this here as well.

That doesn't seem likely. Why would they go back to the apt just to park the car, toss the keys inside but then leave a side door unlocked? Also, lets just say for a moment that did happen, how did the suspect know the apt would be empty, they'd be taking one heck of a chance just to toss some keys inside the apt.

Keys inside and door unlocked would indicate he left them inside and departed, never to return, or someone else left them and so couldn't lock the side door on the way out (being the more discreet exit)

If Adam had left the LODO/Ballpark area and was traveling home, he would have been southbound on Broadway (which is one-way). It would be natural for him to park his car across the street in the parking areas. We do not know if he parked his car at home and walked. I think that is a huge assumption. It would be more likely he parked near Syntax and he then drove home AFTER leaving that location. This would also explain why the keys were inside his apartment and car outside. It is more likely that his last known location is truly his residence. Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm this.

In terms of the ping on his phone. The phone was most likely powered off immediately after leaving Syntax. Email servers “push” emails every 5-10 minutes (set by user). If the phone was on, it would have pinged a tower the moment the email server pushed to his device.

As a former 20-year LE officer, my theory would be he switched his phone off, returned his car and keys to his apartment and the mystery continues from there.

Bsmall1968, great post and great to have you here as a former 20-year LE officer.
Thank for joining us and welcome to Websleuths.

:welcome:

I'm thinking about possible neighbors today as I recall another case; canvassing, etc. would of course be standard procedure.

I am too. I have been checking this thread all day, hoping for a positive update. I hear the weather is taking a cold snowy turn out in Denver. I'm worried sick and I don't even know the guy.

Welcome mn_sleuth.

:welcome2:

I was thinking outside the box a bit and this is a real long shot but what if he hopped a train? I don't know a lot about Denver but is it possible? Seems there are a lot of tracks in the area.

Was his wallet found at home or is LE assuming he has it? Any clothes missing?

Remember the case where the girl up and left her Starbucks job from one of the airports? They found her days later in a parking garage in a town north of that. She had had it and decided to take off without telling anyone.

The above scenario is not very likely but thought I'd mention it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I was also thinking about the man who disappeared from a Broncos game...he just "took off".

Has Adam ever just taken off?

Does he have a history of depression?

So many questions.

The sun has come out today, and I think we might be clear til tomorrow? (Since we are a mile high we are closer to the sun and sun melts the snow quickly.)

What can I/we do today to help?

Can we look at the crime map for his area that night?

Any other incidents of note nearby (or otherwise)? Denver has no shortage of crime to put it mildly, but maybe it's worth taking a look at, fires, carjackings, etc....

Denver Police Department / Denver Crime Map
https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/police-department/crime-information/crime-map.html

Denver Crime Map
LAST UPDATED THURSDAY DECEMBER 21ST

The Denver crime map. Unlike the Denver neighborhood reports and the Denver crime reports, the data on this map is updated as often as the Denver Police Department updates its spreadsheet of reported crimes, usually every other day.

http://crime.denverpost.com/map/

*needle in a haystack

I was also thinking about the man who disappeared from a Broncos game...he just "took off".

Has Adam ever just taken off?

Does he have a history of depression?

So many questions.

The sun has come out today, and I think we might be clear til tomorrow? (Since we are a mile high we are closer to the sun and sun melts the snow quickly.)

What can I/we do today to help?

So funny you just wrote this. I was just looking through his FB. He seems happy, maybe a little quiet. Nothing seems wrong, but so many people "seem" ok when they aren't. It looks like he travels a lot. Lots of hiking and running and travel in general to wide open spaces. He is a lover of nature. I wonder where he would go from Wash Park to be alone? I'm worried he left on his own but he really couldn't go out into any wide open spaces without a ride there.

Can we look at the crime map for his area that night?

Any other incidents of note nearby (or otherwise)? Denver has no shortage of crime to put it mildly, but maybe it's worth taking a look at, fires, carjackings, etc....

Denver Police Department / Denver Crime Map
https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/police-department/crime-information/crime-map.html

Denver Crime Map
LAST UPDATED THURSDAY DECEMBER 21ST

The Denver crime map. Unlike the Denver neighborhood reports and the Denver crime reports, the data on this map is updated as often as the Denver Police Department updates its spreadsheet of reported crimes, usually every other day.

http://crime.denverpost.com/map/

*needle in a haystack
Great idea!

What about a bus station?
Might not be a bad thought for LE to pull surveillance there. He could have passed unnoticed on a bus.

So funny you just wrote this. I was just looking through his FB. He seems happy, maybe a little quiet. Nothing seems wrong, but so many people "seem" ok when they aren't. It looks like he travels a lot. Lots of hiking and running and travel in general to wide open spaces. He is a lover of nature. I wonder where he would go from Wash Park to be alone? I'm worried he left on his own but he really couldn't go out into any wide open spaces without a ride there.

(O/T: and jumping off your post, thinking of Aravind's case (found deceased in a Park Pond) not too long ago:

"Elangovan walked away from his home in the 1400 block of Harvard Street about 11 p.m. March 31 and hadn’t been heard from since. He didn’t have a car, a wallet or a cellphone, officials said.

The Longmont Police Department said Elangovan often frequented parks in northwest Longmont and the MT Sanitas trail west of Boulder.

He attended Brown University in Providence, R.I., and might have been trying to return there.

It is unknown why or how Aravind made his way to Golden Ponds and how or why he was in the water."

http://kdvr.com/2017/04/14/coroner-...n-ponds-as-missing-19-year-old-from-longmont/ )

Great idea!

What about a bus station?
Might not be a bad thought for LE to pull surveillance there. He could have passed unnoticed on a bus.

RTD - Denver
RTD-Denver.com › home
http://www.rtd-denver.com/
(For list of stops and schedules, not sure any buses would be running that late?).

I want to know more about the water searches and grid searches of the area that have currently been done?

Can someone please confirm exactly again what we know to be missing and/or not missing from his apt? Tia.

Missing:
Phone

Not missing:
Keys
Car

So I'm assuming the clothes he was wearing at Syntax aren't at his house?

I was considering the suggestion that Adam drove home from Syntax; however, that would seem more likely if his jacket and hat were found inside his house. Those items presumably were last seen on his person. I understand he may have put those items back on, once home; and then disappeared, but I still think he walked to Syntax, and then left on foot in another direction. It would help if we knew from which direction he arrived to Syntax (that may clear up the did he drove vs. walked).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back