CO - Civil Rape Trial of Kobe Bryant (Charges Dropped)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems odd that Sports Illustrated is source of this - how do they know what prosecution going to do, and how did they arrange interview with the witness - my first thought was through some sports figure....whatever, interesting how this all plays out--saw some replays of Kobe's first "confessional" press conference, remembered then when I saw him looked guilty as sin -

Here's the link for the SI story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/magazine/08/03/scorecard0809/index.html

~~~~~~~~~
SI has learned that prosecutors plan to subpoena a 22-year-old Florida waitress who claims she was the object of unwanted sexual advances by Bryant. Prosecutors have notified Bryant's lawyers that the woman may be called as a witness at the trial, set to begin on Aug. 27 in Eagle, Colo. Her testimony might be used by the prosecution to show that aggressive sexual actions are part of Bryant's pattern of behavior. (Pamela Mackey, Bryant's lead attorney, did not respond to SI's efforts to reach her.)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Case may be going up in smoke

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/Kobe_Bryant_Alleged_Victim_040804-1.html

“Lawyers for the alleged sexual assault victim of Kobe Bryant say she may have to reconsider testifying against the NBA star at the criminal trial, in the wake of a series of damaging court mistakes that led to her name repeatedly being made public, along with allegations about her sexual history. “

Lawyer said she may be better off going for a civil suit against him now.

If the case does collapse it is going to be blamed on the Judge for lifting the rape shield law on the accuser.

She doesnt have a prayer in hell of winning a civ. suit because ,as we learned from OJ,evidence not allowed into criminal trials is admissinable in a civ. proceeding and it works both ways...........Mackey would clobber her on the stand(which in a civ. case shed have to take).

I also dont buy this waitress SI drug up either.

DENVER - The 20-year-old woman accusing Kobe Bryant of rape filed a federal lawsuit against the NBA star Tuesday, seeking unspecified damages for pain, suffering and "public scorn, hatred and ridicule" she has suffered as a result of the alleged attack.

The attorneys asked for a jury trial and compensatory damages of at least $75,000, with punitive damages to be determined later. The woman was identified only as Jane Doe.

link

I read this article in the New York Post, and visited the site it reffered to. Read the redacted version of the behind closed doors testimony about the dna testing, which was evidently sent out to the media recently. It is now my opinion, based upon what is in that transcript, that this woman was not raped. Sorry if it upsets anyone, but things are not as they appear to be...

Before anyone asks, I'm not going to post any links. There's a lot of inflammatory stuff on the site that I do not want to appear to promote. If you want to see the article, it's in the Online version of the NYP, you'll know it when you see it.

Father of accuser writes letter to Vail Daily complaining about judge. Whether anyone thinks she is lying or not about the rape allegations, fact that all leaks to press and posting of defense expert witness conclusions on web sites prior to the criminal trial are inexcusable to me. Link to his letter..

letter

Jack said:
I read this article in the New York Post, and visited the site it reffered to. Read the redacted version of the behind closed doors testimony about the dna testing, which was evidently sent out to the media recently. It is now my opinion, based upon what is in that transcript, that this woman was not raped. Sorry if it upsets anyone, but things are not as they appear to be...

Before anyone asks, I'm not going to post any links. There's a lot of inflammatory stuff on the site that I do not want to appear to promote. If you want to see the article, it's in the Online version of the NYP, you'll know it when you see it.

I agree 100% Jack and as a victim advocate and a victim myself I am FURIOUS with the "complaining witness" and the damage she has done to REAL victims and future court cases (I am also angry with the LE and the DA there for doing such a shoddy job and only thinking of their careers and not justice).

I cannot wait for this farce of a civ. trial to get underway and the truth can come out (I read through the DNA evidence as Ive been closely following this case and there was no rape-period.) :furious:

Judge denies prosecution request for delay in criminal trial.

In another development, Judge Matsch,who presided over Oklahoma City bombing case, appointed judge for civil case.

EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant has one more date in court before jury selection begins in his sexual assault trial. Some are wondering if it will be the last time he steps into a criminal courtroom.

With the trial less than two weeks away, speculation is mounting that prosecutors are looking for a way to dismiss the charge after suffering a series of setbacks.
"We have too many things happening in this case that we just don't normally have," said Larry Pozner, former president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. "The big picture? None of this bodes well for the prosecution."

People connected with the case are barred from commenting in detail, but district attorney's spokeswoman Krista Flannigan has said prosecutors still plan to try Bryant, who acknowledges having sex with a then 19-year-old hotel employee last summer but insists she consented.

During a closed-court hearing Monday, prosecutors were scheduled to ask District Judge Terry Ruckriegle to reconsider his decision allowing the defense to tell jurors about money the alleged victim received from a victims compensation fund.

The defense has indicated it plans to tell jurors that the woman was given nearly $20,000, far more than usual, for mental health care and other services. Details of their argument were filed under seal.

The judge's decision could bolster the defense's efforts to undermine the alleged victim's credibility. Defense attorney Pamela Mackey said in a filing the woman's decision to sue Bryant last week in federal civil court had the effect of "exposing her motivation to pursue her false accusation -- the hope of a large monetary award."

Among the recent setbacks for prosecutors:

--In late July, Ruckriegle lost a battle with media attorneys and was forced to release transcripts of a closed-door hearing that prosecutors called "extremely harmful" to their case. The transcripts had mistakenly been e-mailed to a handful of media organizations.

In the transcripts, a defense expert witness explained why she believed DNA evidence indicated the alleged victim had sex with another man after her encounter with Bryant but before her hospital exam the following day. The defense has suggested it would make that argument to undermine the accuser's credibility.

The woman's attorney denied the claim, but prosecutors said release of the transcript threw into question whether a fair jury could be seated.

--Soon after the transcript was released, the accuser's attorneys, John Clune and Lin Wood, appeared on national television to criticize courthouse blunders that they said damaged their client's faith in the justice system. They questioned whether the mistakes -- the e-mailing of the transcripts in June to several news organizations, and the posting of the alleged victim's name on a state court Web site -- would prevent a fair hearing of their clients' accusation.

--Last week, the woman's lawyers filed a civil suit against Bryant in federal court, seeking unspecified monetary damages. Bryant attorney Pamela Mackey said in a court filing that the lawsuit had the effect of "exposing her motivation to pursue her false accusation -- the hope of a large monetary reward."

--On Friday, Ruckriegle dealt the prosecution another blow, turning down a motion to delay the trial.

Prosecutors are still waiting to hear from the Colorado Supreme Court whether justices will consider their appeal of Ruckriegle's ruling allowing Bryant's attorneys to present evidence about the woman's sexual activities in the three days surrounding her encounter with Bryant.

Legal experts said the ruling on the woman's mental health history could help encourage her to continue participating in the criminal case by keeping potentially embarrassing information out of public view.

If convicted, the 25-year-old Los Angeles Lakers guard faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

With all the help of the judge in this case, Kobe will walk. Rape is legal in Colorado if you are famous and the victim is human.

CO is back to only nuns and virgins can be raped.......sad.

I don't know what really happened in this case. But Kobe's money bought him a defense that will let him walk.

Solo and Mysterymomma,

how yall doin'?
I lived 20 minutes from Eagle Colorado (Vail) for quite a while. I lived in the mountains. Right near where this young lady lived. I know the streets, the the steeps, the parks, the groomers, the back bowls, I know where to go for a reggae show (one place in Vail has a bouncing floor! So when you go to a reggae show, EVERYONE is on the same beat! Even the white males that can't dance! It's great!) So I hope you understand my point.

I was raped in college. I MOVED TO that area to get away from everything. The most important thing on my mind, was get to somewhere SAFE. That is all I could think at that point...

This area is not a "bad" place for women. It really isn't. In fact, it is quite the opposite ladies!!!! Gorgeous "rugged" men everywhere... The male to female ratio is unreal.. Girls can pick and choose and pick and choose, and I hope you get my drift. I NEVER locked my house or car. I never thought twice about going out in to the woods for a hike ALONE. By changing environments after my rape, I alleviated my most dubious obstacle... my utter fear behind living where I did, where I was attacked, where they never found him (I was raped in college, and later attacked (beat the begeezus out of him and got away!) by a man they never found. My rapist was there as well. At the same school I was. SO, I hope you get my point about CO...

I never felt "looked down upon" because I was a female in CO. Never.

I just wanna take up for a place that is beautfiul, good for women (it really DOES boost your confidence) magical, the views!!!!!!! The MOUNTAIN!!! THE AIR!!!!

I do not feel like this woman was raped. I feel very sorry for the victims, like myself that have to deal with these consequences. It really is disheartening. And I DO NOT blame the Pros. AT ALL. They THOUGHT she was raped as well. They backed her, they thought she was a victim.

My gals that live there are livid as well. It's disheartening for us all...
It is a good place with good people and some are snobby and rich, but that's no crime, just ignorance...

AP

Judge in Bryant Case Loosens Gag Order

DENVER - The judge in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case has loosened a sweeping gag order after objections from prosecutors, news organizations and attorneys for the accuser.

It replaces an Aug. 4 order that prohibited any comment to reporters by anybody connected with the case, and by people who share offices with anybody connected to the case.

The new order, made public Wednesday, permits comments to reporters in some circumstances but still prohibits talking about the character and credibility of the accuser, Bryant or any witness. Also prohibited are comments about expected testimony, the possibility of a plea agreement, and Bryant's guilt or innocence.

peggy said:
AP

Judge in Bryant Case Loosens Gag Order

DENVER - The judge in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case has loosened a sweeping gag order after objections from prosecutors, news organizations and attorneys for the accuser.

It replaces an Aug. 4 order that prohibited any comment to reporters by anybody connected with the case, and by people who share offices with anybody connected to the case.

The new order, made public Wednesday, permits comments to reporters in some circumstances but still prohibits talking about the character and credibility of the accuser, Bryant or any witness. Also prohibited are comments about expected testimony, the possibility of a plea agreement, and Bryant's guilt or innocence.

I wish I had a link,
but as of right now, I am vomiting...
One step closer to the truth, but further from victims rights. Too bad it takes so gawd dang much for the truth to come out...
The pros are in a constant process of discovery as well here...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back