Found Deceased CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge stops Moran from final question as it is 'self bolstering his witnesses credibility '

he was trying to ask him 'do you take your testimony as sincere and"

Judge jumped in to stop him, before even an objection, lol

2 jury questions?

Have you ever seen cadaver dog work in field?

Yes I have, was invited to observe by the handler

can dogs smell thru plastic bags?, ---YES, they can, oh let me rephrase that---depends upon the type of plastic bag

the State gets the witness to admit he has only seen ONE cadaver dog in the field. But Molly's handler has been 20 years in the field, doing the work. But he is supposed to be an expert in the subject?
And, that line of questioning came up only AFTER a juror asked about it. I was surprised the pros didn't ask about his actual experience working with real people and dogs in the field. Yay, juror!

the State gets the witness to admit he has only seen ONE cadaver dog in the field. But Molly's handler has been 20 years in the field, doing the work. But he is supposed to be an expert in the subject?
Correction - the JURY got the witness to admit he’s only seen one HRD dog in the field haha. IMO, they are paying close attention to testimony and looking at everything with a critical eye.

And, that line of questioning came up only AFTER a juror asked about it. I was surprised the pros didn't ask about his actual experience working with real people and dogs in the field. Yay, juror!
Jinx!

edit: sorry @katydid23, our responses totally made it seem like we were ganging up on you ;)

I’m not saying this to be mean but if Moran isn’t in tears , he’s probably close to it. After witness answered Jury questions and it was his turn he actually whined when he said “ and this Jury gets to question his..”
Judge stopped him.
He’s his own worst enemy. On one of his objections he actually said the Prosecution was making it look like this witness was just here because he’s getting paid.

I think that Dr Ha is doing a good job creating doubt about the reliability of the HRD dog alerts in this case. JMO
Overall, I think he failed to create much doubt. In the end, it became evident that he has zero experience in the field. He was basing everything on his personal theory that there is no such thing as 'residual odor' that is reliable. But the state was able to show scientific reports to oppose his view and the witness could give no studies that supported his personal view.

And his voice got very shrill and nasally and high pitched, making him seem very defensive, imo. Learning that he only was in the field ONE TIME with a HRD dog nullifies his opinions on their credibility, imo.

I guess with all the dog info the Jurors will just have to weigh it out.
The dog stuff is interesting, from both a scientific perspective (volatile compounds, etc.) and the opportunity for jurors to rely on their own personal dog/human life experiences, as in : we can't really know what the dog is thinking.
This was the "best' expert witness the defense could convince to provide their professional opinion. That, alone, should tell the jury a lot.
I believe most, if not all, of Ha's testimony will play a very minor role, if any, in the deliberations. IMO

I hate to admit it, but he does make a point about "residual" scents. If a dog alerts to a decomp scent, but no evidence or material related to that scent can be discovered scientifically, what facts can be determined by that alert?
Just because we cannot prove there was once decomposition there doesn't mean it never happened. Maybe there was a dead squirrel or bird at one time, that was picked up and moved?

The dog stuff is interesting, from both a scientific perspective (volatile compounds, etc.) and the opportunity for jurors to rely on their own personal dog/human life experiences, as in : we can't really know what the dog is thinking.
This was the "best' expert witness the defense could convince to provide their professional opinion. That, alone, should tell the jury a lot.
I believe most, if not all, of Ha's testimony will play a very minor role, if any, in the deliberations. IMO
I hope most of the jurors have had dogs at home. Anyone with a dog would know how trustworthy their sense of smell and hearing is. We played lots of 'sniff' games with our labs and shepherds over the years. They could also sniff out our kids during hide and seek---instantly.

Here's todays YouTube feed. You can also watch this after it's no longer live.
HINT: Open it in YouTube (not in the WS window) and you have more options for playback. My favorite thing to do is to play the video back more quickly.
1.25x works best for me, but 1.5x might be better for time saving.
In the YouTube video window, click on the "gear"icon to find all of your options.

Just because we cannot prove there was once decomposition there doesn't mean it never happened. Maybe there was a dead squirrel or bird at one time, that was picked up and moved?

I agree. Other mammals are much better at picking up scents that we can't. My concern is when it comes to a court of law, etc. I think the residual odor alert is most valuable both in the field and as evidence when it leads to even more, "better"evidence.
Anecdotally, I wouldn't want to make a decision based on a detected residual odor alone. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member